Things are going to change

Portrait of a Portrait: That Flower

 

Nayeon was sitting in the empty classroom trying hard to finish her drawing. But every time she drew something she erased it right away.

Sighing in frustration she said to herself: „C'mon, girl, it's getting late. Can't you do anything right?“

After a few more attempts of drawing leaves around the pretty red flower she had drawn, she gave up. She put her drawing onto a shelf which had her name on it and left the room.

 

Little did she know, there was a boy watching her. He stood behind the door and looked through a small window in it. When Nayeon approached the exit this boy quickly turned around and started walking away.

Nayeon hurriedly passed by the boy not really paying attention to him. She did note that she hadn't seen him before. Maybe he's a new student?

If she only knew... No, this boy wasn't a new student. In fact he was the person who painted the grand painting in the reception hall. Nayeon had always admired that work. Usually when she came and left the building she would stop for a moment to have atleast a glance at the painting, though she had seen it hundreds of times.

This time was no different. Well, actually it was – the author of the painting was there aswell, watching. Nayeon didn't notice him and how could she if he was standing on the stairs, taking up to the second floor, silently leaning over the railing and smiling to himself.

 

Nayeon noticed that there was something new on the wall with the painting – a metal name plate. Now I can finally find out who's the author! She stepped closer to the nameplate. It had the title of the picture engraved into it and there was the author's name - „JR?!“ she said outloud. „What am I supposed to do with 'JR'? This doesn't give any information about the author at all. Not even the gender.“ Nayeon cursed with a soft voice but still the boy heard it. You want to know who the author is? I'll tell you then.

 

 

 

The next day when Nayeon came to school and went up to the painting she eyed a little pink envelope sticked on the name plate. As she got closer she discovered that it had her name on it. She took it and while opening the envelope walked up the stairs.

The airhead, she was, she bumped into someone. She raised her head and looked up – a smiling boy was looking down at her. Her heart skipped a beat and she felt heat rising up her cheeks.

„I'm so sorry. Are you, OK?“ Nayeon apologized, bowing rapidly in the process.

„It's OK really. I should have watched where I was going myself.“ the boy said stepping aside

He has such a beautiful smile and his voice- No-no, Nayeon, not now. Focus!

„Again, I'm really sorry.“ Nayeon replied and went up the stairs. The boy watched after her. Now read the note. C'mon!

Nayeon looked at the letter „I'm a boy“ was all it said. She smiled to herself but then realized something. How come?! Did someone hear me yesterday? She ducked her hear and looked around suspiciously with wide eyes. JR chuckled to himself. „Cute.“

 

Nayeon took her drawing from the shelf. The flower had leaves drawn around it with delicate lines. All she had to do was to add some color and the drawing would be finished. Something's really wrong.

 

 

After the lessons Nayeon made a stop by the painting again. JR came and stood next to her.

„Hello, again.“ he said.

Nayeon turned her head. „Hello... Ahh! You're that guy I bumped into! I'm sorry!“ she bowed again.

JR started laughing for real this time.

„I said it's OK. You don't have to apologize no more. Everything is fine – no broken bones or anything.“ he said raising his hands.

Nayeon smiled, a bit embarrassed. „I really should go now. It's getting late.“ the girl tried to get away from the awkwardness by leaving. But before she did:

„What's you name if I may ask?“

„Kim Jonghyun. But friends call me JR.“ the boy answered.

He's JR?! Ohmygosh, that's not how I had expected to meet him!

„And you are?“ JR asked Nayeon braking her out from her thoughts.

„P-Park Nayeon.“ she responded quickly. „I...uhh...I have to go.“

„OK. It was nice meeting you. I liked your flower by the way!“ JR shouted after Nayeon.

He liked my flower! He-liked-me-flower! How? When did he-? It was him!

But the leaves were pretty... Thanks to him I got my work finished on time. Plus he's handsome...

Why is it so  hot here? I'm going to melt.

 

 

The next day Nayeon met JR by the painting again.

„And we meet again.“ JR began with a meaningful tone.

„Ah, yes.“ Nayeon ducked her head low.

„What is it about this painting that makes you stop by it every time you pass by it?“ JR changed the subject.

„Uhh...it's pretty.“ Nayeon tried to find the words.

„Right...“ JR didn't satisfy.

Nayeon sighted. „I like everything about it. Every single detail, the colors, even the frame.“

„And the name plate?“ JR added.

„And the name plate.“ Nayeon finished feeling a bit more confident.

After a little pause JR spoke up: „You should go now. The lesson is about to start.“

Neyeon looked at him with big eyes: „Aren't you coming?“

„Eh, no. I've already graduated. I just come here to spend time when I have nothing to do.“ JR answered, smiling.

Nayeon blushed. „I'll see you around then, I guess.“ she said making her way towards the staircase.

„Yeah, see you.“ JR said. „I'll be waiting here... for you.“ he added.

These last words made Nayeon's heart flutter. Even for JR – he felt a bit uneasy. Why did I have to say that? It's too early for god sakes! Get yourself together now, JR. Watch your mouth next time.

 

But love has it's own ways. JR had hard time watching what he was saying. He embarrassed himself many times and that was a good thing because it made Nayeon feel free and relaxed. She could talk to JR without feeling awkward, she saw that she wasn't the only one having trouble with her words.

 

The two met by the painting every time. They usually talked about the lessons or about whatever else except the relationship between them which was starting to get pretty obvious.

 

 

 

After two months from their first encounter when Nayeon stepped into the reception hall once again she noticed right away that something was different. To be honest she had started to notice many things around her. This time she saw that the grand painting had been replaced. The flower she drew had now became a painting.

Nayeon gasped and stepped closer to the picture. Name plate. It read: „Would you be my girlfriend? By Kim Jonghyun.“

„Yes!“ she squealed.

JR ran down the stairs and grabbed his girlfriend spinning her around the hall with people cheering for them in the background.