Don't Let Me Go

Holding On

 

‘....how many times are you going to sit on your bed and cry all day long? We are very worried about you. How many times are you going to ignore us? Please, Sung-’

Sunggyu immediately pressed the off button of his house phone. The messages just kept coming. They were all full or worry and pity but who gives a ? None of his parents did, or his friends so why bother him now when all of it has happened? So that was his mother, for the eleventh time today, leaving him a message about how worried she and his dad were. Yeah, as if. They’re just happy now he’s out of the picture. But, they weren’t referring to Sunggyu though.

Yeah, him. Woohyun. Nam Woohyun. That selfish bastard who forever had his stupid aegyo. And that’s what made Sunggyu fall for him. He laughed at the thought of Woohyun’s stupid behaviour, along with the tears that flowed down his cheeks.

It had been about what...a month? No wait, a month and a half. He couldn’t meet him. Sunggyu was afraid. He was more than afraid; terrified. He couldn’t face him after what happened. Even if he did face Woohyun, what benefit would it bring? They were complete strangers.

Literally.

Complete.

Strangers.

Cursing and sighing to himself at the same time, Sunggyu got up from his messy bed that had not been kept for at least a week. He grabbed his coat, ruffled his hair a little and left his apartment. His apartment wasn’t his anyways. It was Woohyun’s. Well, he wouldn’t let it go to waste. Woohyun lived a new life now; a new house, a new job, and meeting new people. So his apartment was left behind, but it wasn’t being sold though. Sunggyu had changed the apartment's name from Woohyun's to his. 

The apartment was just a small room with a basic kitchen, a toilet, a single bed, a television set and a small coffee table right beside an old furnished chair. It wasn’t much, but that was Woohyun. Woohyun wasn’t into all those fancy things. He liked things simple and neat, not that he was neat but he just liked it that way. That’s why he’s so greedy about his money. Sunggyu didn’t find that annoying. Just plain selfish.

Sunggyu walked along the dry, grey path outside the building. It was winter time. The ground was already getting slippery with a thin layer of ice covering it. He put his hoodie on because of the cold. The sun was really bright that day. Sunggyu wondered why. During winter, this town didn’t have much sunlight, especially during this time of day. Was something going to happen? Sunggyu shook his head in disagreement. What possible thing could happen to make him feel better?

Kicking a rock, Sunggyu sighed in frustration. He still couldn’t help to blame himself even though others state it wasn't. Under his hoodie, he sobbed silently. He pushed his hands deeper into the pockets of his coat so that no one could see them shaking. After a while, he looked up, his nose all clogged up. He took a deep breath. Looking up at the sky he thought of that day. The day...everything changed. The night before Woohyun’s birthday.

‘Ah Gyu, must you really go tomorrow? It’s my birthday you know!’ Woohyun emphasized on the Gyu, while pouting. He already knew the reason yet still he asked this question for the fiftieth time today.

‘Nam Woohyun, how many times do I have to tell you? I have to go to Japan for work. I’m sorry but this is important,’ Sunggyu rubbed his thumb over Woohyun’s lips which made Woohyun’s pout disappear into a smile. Sunggyu liked that smile. The smile that never failed to make his stomach flutter.

They walked through the dimly lit road walk, hands held together, the sides of their bodies brushing lightly against each other. The couple walked like that for ten minutes in comfortable silence. They just enjoyed each other’s silence. A few cars passed by which set their coats flying backwards. Woohyun’s scarf flew and covered his face which caused Sunggyu to die of laughter. It was really silly, Sunggyu thought.

Sunggyu reached over to help the poor guy. Pulling the scarf down to his neck to how it was before, Sunggyu looked up and found Woohyun’s eyes. Both the pair of eyes remained locked in each other’s gaze. Neither of them moved. Something small clicked in both heads, like the first time they met. Their stomach’s flutter and their hearts beat uncontrollably. They knew they were right for each other.

Looking down at Woohyun’s lips, Sunggyu took the first step. It was gentle and soft, Woohyun’s lips. Woohyun didn’t hesitate to part them. Sunggyu followed his movements and let Woohyun lead instead. Woohyun’s lips tasted sweet; raspberry, from the dessert they ate earlier.

His favourite.

Their lips moved continuously as if they’ve been doing it for ages. Enveloped in each other’s hands, they continued. Their chests slightly brushing againeach others. Sunggyu didn’t want to leave, he wanted to stay like this, with him. Then Woohyun broke off the kiss. Both of them started breathing heavily. Sunggyu didn’t realise they did it in one breath. Woohyun pecked another kiss before smiling at Sunggyu.

Sunggyu couldn’t help but smile back. They didn’t say anything. They didn’t have to say anything. The couple just continued their way back home, hands interlocked. 

After turning a right to an alley, they heard footsteps. Sunggyu glanced to the back and found two men walking. They were tall and big. Really big. The couple just continued walking. After turning a few times, Sunggyu realised the two men were still following them. Alert, Sunggyu told Woohyun to walk faster. Woohyun, puzzled, just followed suit. The men trailed behind, faster this time as if following th couple's pace.

It was only a few minutes later that Sunggyu felt his shoulder jerk painfully. One of the men dragged him backwards until he fell first on the ground. The other man punched Woohyun on the mouth causing saliva and blood to gush out of his mouth. Woohyun fell with a loud thud. Sunggyu got up and attacked the man who attacked Woohyun. But his partner grabbed him from the back and punched his stomach a few times. Sunggyu struggled to breathe as he fell again, clutching onto his stomach.

From a distance he heard a scream. Woohyun. The man grabbed Woohyun by his hair, which caused him to scream again. The man smashed Woohyun’s head against the brick wall. A loud crack could be heard thus, Woohyun fell unconsciously onto the ground. Sunggyu pushed himself upwards and punched the guy in the stomach twice, then thrice, before hitting his head. The man fell, clearly dizzy from the punches.

Then Sunggyu suddenly felt a sharp piercing pain. He wanted to scream but felt his mouth gasping for air instead. He felt cold. It had hurt so much, he couldn’t scream. He couldn’t breathe. Clutching his stomach again, his hand felt something wet and sticky. Lifting his hand to his face, and under the dim light, he made out something red.

Blood.

Had he been stabbed? Sunggyu felt dizzy, light headed. Falling to his knees, he stopped himself from falling onto the ground any further. He had to escape and find Woohyun. Lifting his head up, he saw the two men in front of him shocked. He heard a, ‘Ah , why did you stab him?’ before the two men ran away in the opposite direction.

Still clutching his wound, he limped and crawled towards Woohyun who was lying on his back. His forehead was stained with blood that was still gushing out of his scar. Sunggyu felt hot tears stinging his face, especially where the small scars were. He didn’t care about that. Woohyun was unconscious, he had to get him help. Despite his injury, he forced himself up. Slowly, he carried Woohyun behind his back. The hospital wasn’t far away, but with his injury, it would take forever.

After a few steps though, Sunggyu couldn’t take the weight. He was so weak; he could feel the blood dripping down on the ground. Then, he collapsed on the ground, letting Woohyun fall on his back so that he won’t hit the ground again. That was when everything turned black.

~~~

Sunggyu woke up to a bright light. He felt his eyes blink a few times before he could make out grey squares. It was the ceiling. Looking down, he saw the familiar sight of the blanket. He was on a bed, with railings on the side. Lifting up his hands, he saw tubes stuck to his hands and wrists. To his right, a line of chairs and a bunch of balloons at his side. Each of them had either a ‘Get Well Soon’ or a ‘Get Better’.

Then he heard a click. He turned his head to the left and saw a lady dressed in all white carrying a clipboard. She closed the door. Her face was flawless and was a bright smile. Sunggyu could only frown. Where was he?

‘Where am I?’ Sunggyu started when the lady approached him.

‘Well, you’re in the hospital.’ The nurse replied, checking the water levels.

Sunggyu’s frown deepened. Then he remembered what had happened. He was stabbed. There were two men. Then Woohyun was unconscious.

Woohyun!

‘Where’s Woohyun?! Is he okay?! Where is he?!’ Sunggyu started shouting at the nurse.

The nurse’s smile slowly faded. She gave a tight smile afterwards.

‘He’s at the room about two doors from here on the right. He’s...fine. There’s nothing to worry about.’ She gave the smile she gave when she first entered, but it wasn’t as bright. Sunggyu could see a difference in her eyes.

‘I want to go and see him,’ Sunggyu kept his voice as firm as possible. He had to see that Woohyun as okay for himself. He tried pulling the tubes from his hands and arms.

 ‘Well, he’s resting now. You can see him in a few days. You too need to rest, so pl- ,' the nurse tried to stop Sunggyu.

‘NO! I WANT TO SEE WOOHYUN NOW!’ Sunggyu started to shout. He could feel his tears welling up in his eyes. 

‘I’m sorry, Sunggyu. You can’t see him. But you will be able to in a few days. He's alright.’ The nustars attend his hands to calm him down.

‘NO, I DON’T BELIEVE YOU! DON’T TOUCH ME! I WANT TO SEE HIM!’ Sunggyu pushed her hand away as he struggled to get out of the bed. His stomach winced at the pain. He grabbed his stomach and found out the wound still wasn’t healed. He used his other hand to prevent him from falling on the ground. The nurse placed her hands at Sunggyu’s shoulders.

‘Please Sunggyu, you’re not fully recovered. You need to rest. I promise that you can see him in a few days. But now please rest.’ The nurse sounded she was pleading.

Sunggyu lifted her head to face hers. She had some sort of pity in her eyes. Sunggyu felt his cheeks stained with the tears that were already flowing. He closed his mouth and pursed his lips together before giving a small nod. Slowly he climbed up the bed.

~~~

For a week he was stuck in the room. Sunggyu didn’t bother getting out of the room, even if the nurse asked him to just take a walk. He wouldn’t do anything until he saw Woohyun. Woohyun was his first priority now.

A few minutes later, the nurse entered. Sunggyu didn’t bother turning his head to greet her. For a week, she was the only one that visited him.

‘Sunggyu, you can visit him.’ She started.

Sunggyu’s head snapped up at her. ‘Woohyun?' 

‘Yes, Woohyun.’ She gave the tight smile.

Sunggyu couldn’t believe it and immediately got off his bed. Grabbing some support from the nurse, he walked as fast as he could to Woohyun’s room. Steeping outside of Woohyun’s door, Sunggyu couldn’t wait to see him. He missed him.

Before he could even reach for the doorknob, he felt his shoulder being held. He turned around and saw the nurse. This time her face was down. She didn’t look like her happy self. Instead she looked really sad for Sunggyu.

‘Sunggyu, when you go inside....to meet him, be extra careful. The Woohyun you knew isn’t the Woohyun you will know later.’ 

Sunggyu just fell silent at her words. He felt confused but let her continue.

‘Woohyun...h-he doesn’t know a lot of things. He has forgotten a lot of things. Especially the things that happened about 10 years ago. So, he probably won’t even remember you...’  She continued, her eyes fixed onto Sunggyu’s feet.

Sunggyu felt his heart beating fast again. He felt his heart being stabbed a million times with a knife. Wait, had he heard it right? Woohyun doesn’t know him? What? Sunggyu didn't believe it. No wait, he couldn't.

Speechless, he saw the nurse reach past him for the doorknob. Wi a small click, the door opened. On the bed, Woohyun sat cross-legged in front of the television with the remote controller in his hand. His head turned to face Sunggyu and the nurse that were now strangers to him.

‘Hello Woohyun. This is Sunggyu, he is here to visit.’  The nurse started off before leaving some space for Sunggyu to enter.

Sunggyu could just stay rooted to the ground. He had no words now, his eyes were just fixed on Woohyun's.

‘Oh, hello Sunggyu-sshi. Nice to meet you,’ Woohyun smiled at him and gave a little bow.

Now, Sunggyu sat in a train. He didn’t have anywhere to go. He just wanted to get out and think. Sitting in the train brought back a lot of memories of Woohyun. That was where they first met. Sunggyu remembered that they met in the train fighting over a seat. It was really stupid when he thought about it, but it was a pretty big deal on that day. Sunggyu smiled at the memory.

Sunggyu was sitting at the exact seat that they fought over. Brushing a hand over the smooth plastic of the seat he couldn’t help himself but laugh. They were so stupid back then. He never thought that they would end up together.

But now, after the incident, Sunggyu promised he wouldn’t meet him anymore. Woohyun had a new life. He had to start anew, and Sunggyu didn’t want to be part of his life anymore, he didn’t want to hurt Woohyun any longer. Woohyun deserved someone better.

Sunggyu sat at the seat throughout the whole journey. At the thirteenth station, Sunggyu left the train, and started down the stairs, with the memory of Woohyun still lingering in his mind.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            Walking back to the train station, the black haired man readjusted his coat that had been messed up by the wind. Fixing it back, his mind suddenly clicked. It felt so familiar. His mind hurt when started to think deeper. Shaking his head, he continued his way up to the stairs.

            His phone vibrated. Checking who it was, he felt his shoulders jerk backwards. Before he could even say anything, he felt himself loss for words. The guy in front of him stood frozen as well. His golden-brown hair covered a little of his small and tiny eyes and his mouth formed a small ‘o’.

The black haired guy almost dropped his phone.  He heard the familiar click in his mind again. It was like he had seen him before, but he didn’t know where or when. Wait, it was more than them meeting, more like they’ve known each other for a long time.

The black haired guy knew this guy was attractive. But what shocked him the most was the golden haired eyes that were filled with tears. The black haired guy felt his eyebrows knit together in confusion.

Both their eyes were fixed on each other for a long time when the golden haired boy broke off the contact. The guy murmured a small sorry before continuing his way down the stairs. The guy didn’t look back. The black haired guy could only stare at the blank space in front of him now. He wanted to run after the guy but stopped himself. He didn’t know the guy, and the guy didn’t know him. What was the point?

Turning back to the stairs, he started walking to the direction of his house, the guy’s face still fresh in his mind.

~~~

            The black haired guy continued his life as a successful singer in South Korea while the golden haired guy started a famous restaurant nearby.

They never met again.

~~~

Love has its wonders.

Fate plays a part.

So hold onto it,

Because you’ll never know,

When it’s not there for you

To keep any longer.