IIII

My Sunshine is the Smile on Your Face

Eunhyuk didn't tell anyone about the night on the field, but somehow he found himself wandering around it more and more. And not during nights anymore, or maybe when Kyuhyun and Sunny were... nevermind that. He walked around the field, he played with Bada, and he talked to Donghae. The more he got to know him, the more he got attached to the brunette. His cute accent, his grin and the way his eyes sparkled when he talked about whatever. When he talked about his father, though, his eyes took a different kind of glint, a sad tinge, that Eunhyuk wanted to wipe away but couldn't.  Gladly, most of the time Donghae was as happy as could be, and his happiness stuck onto Eunhyuk as well.

Eunhyuk visited Donghae's family, his mother and grandparents, his cute little sister who couldn't be older than ten, his little brother Minho, who was already towering over both Donghae and Eunhyuk, even if he was only sixteen. And Eunhyuk invited Donghae for their barbeque dinner, and Donghae was welcomed in the same manner as Kyuhyun had. Kyuhyun was still there, and wasn't apparently planning on leaving any time soon. Not that it bothered anyone, except maybe Sungmin, because he didn't like Kyuhyun. Sungmin also seemed to be missing Ryeowook quite badly, sighing and moping around most of the time. Eunhyuk tried to comfort him, and so did Sunny, but it seemed like no one else would help but Ryeowook himself. 

Gladly, after a week of the family having to deal with sulking Sungmin, Ryeowook decided to pay them a visit. He arrived with his own car into the yard, surprising everyone (well, except for Sunny and Kyuhyun, because they planned the whole thing), especially Sungmin, who for the first fifteen minutes couldn't rip himself away from Ryeowook, who seemed to be just as happy to be wrapped in Sungmin's arms once more. Sunny was beaming, but after a while, the affection share by the boys made her crave some as well, and she pulled Kyuhyun down for a little kiss. Eunhyuk felt mighty uncomfortable with the couples, especially when his parents suddenly also cuddled closer together. He coughed and excused himself from the scene. No one seemed to notice as he rushed to the familiar field, then over it and to Donghae's house.

Donghae was alone right now, chopping wood outside. He was always doing something like that. He was like the father of the house, taking care of everyone and everything. Eunhyuk felt kind of bad for him having to take his father's place, but Donghae didn't seem too unhappy with it. He was a family man, it was clear, and he liked being the one taking care. 

"Hi," Eunhyuk said, as he sat onto the ground. Almost immediately, Bada came over to him, already recognizing him.

"Hey," Donghae didn't smile like he usually did, which alarmed Eunhyuk. He kept on chopping, and Eunhyuk frowned.

"Is everything okay?" he petted Bada's stomach. Donghae set his axe down and covered his face with his hands.

"No."

"Do you want to talk about it?" Eunhyuk offered, standing up and walking to Donghae. "What happened?"

"Grandpa passed away."

"I'm so sorry," Eunhyuk whispered. Donghae nodded, trying to swallow down his tears. 

"They took him to hospital earlier today, and he didn't make it."

Eunhyuk didn't know what to say so he took another step forward and hugged Donghae. He wrapped his arms around his middle and rested his chin on the brunette's shoulder, rubbing his back up and down. Donghae choked and sobbed, and Eunhyuk had a hard time fighting his own tears inside. It was unfair in his opinion, how such an amazing boy had to suffer trough so many losses in his life. And still keep a smile on his face. Donghae was truly a miracle. Eunhyuk closed his eyes and let a few tears fall down. He heard Bada whimpering next to them, pawing on its crying owner's shoe.

 

Eunhyuk had a hard time sleeping for a few nights, mostly because of Donghae. A bit because he suddenly missed home. And the slightest because of the two couples sharing the mattress with him. The nightly trips outside became more frequent, and it seemed they did for Donghae as well. They hardly spoke while looking at the stars. It was okay, Donghae didn't need to, and Eunhyuk was fine with silence. Sometimes, they'd hold hands. It was cold outside, and they wanted to keep each other warm without going too far. Eunhyuk thought that maybe going too far wouldn't be that bad, but he didn't want to cause Donghae anymore unwanted emotions.

One night it was Donghae who went further, it was Donghae who pulled Eunhyuk so close that they were chest to chest. The stars were only visible to them trough the other's eyes, the moonlight making their skin glow in blue. It started to be colder, and their breath came out as puffs of steam, tangling into a small cloud and vanishing into thin air. Eunhyuk smiled shyly, closing his eyes and falling asleep to Donghae's warm breath heating up his face.

They got woken up in the morning by Sunny and Bada, and the girl was giggling in her usual manner. Eunhyuk blinked a few times before completely opening his eyes, only to see Sunny with her phone, snapping a picture. She looked so utterly happy, like the way she looked when Kyuhyun was around. Eunhyuk groaned, and the sound woke up Donghae as well. Bada was pawing at his side, and the brunette lifted to dog onto his chest, rolling onto his back. Sunny helped Eunhyuk up and took another picture of Donghae and Bada together. Donghae played with the dog for a while, until he decided to get up as well. He didn't seem too affected by the fact that they had slept together, but then again, neither did Eunhyuk. They bid their goodbyes, and Eunhyuk followed Sunny back to the house.

It was the day Kyuhyun had to leave back, but Sunny wasn't too crushed. She had always been very independed, and could do fine even without her man constantly around her. They kissed sweetly before Kyuhyun was taken back to the city by Ryeowook, who also had to leave. Sungmin was way more affected by it, and almost cried, when he was the one who hardly ever shed a tear. He wasn't even bad, if you looked at Ryeowook, who was crying so much that Kyuhyun had to be the one driving. Eunhyuk felt a bit bad, but he didn't know someone could even be so depended on someone.

 

It had been over a month there, and in the end, it wasn't that bad. Eunhyuk was surprised by himself, that he hadn't even tried to touch his phone, which has ran out of battery during the first days. Leeteuk had probably called him about a thousand times and was currently stressing Kangin out by worrying over nothing. Leeteuk was in a dire need of holiday, Eunhyuk knew that. He would force the manager to take a nerve-break after he came back. And maybe he should take Kangin with him as well. Sungmin was over being away from Ryeowook, apparently just seeing the boy for some time gave new life to him. He called him all the time, though, and Eunhyuk couldn't bear listening to the sickeningly sweet conversations of the two. It was his brother after all.

Things with Donghae were strange, to say at least. There was no reason to go outside at night anymore, because there were no weird and uncomfortable sounds coming next to him during then. He still did go, and his day visits became more frequent. Donghae was a happy ball of joy again, even if the loss of his grandfather was still clouding in the air. He was in pain, and he was mourning, but he stayed strong for his family. Eunhyuk wanted Donghae to admit that it was okay to be weak, but the man was stubborn, and it was like trying to teach a bull to count in five. He didn't push him too much, if Donghae's way of dealing with sorrow was that, then he would let him do it that way. He adored Donghae too much to make him do anything he didn't want to do.

As much as he hated to admit it, he was getting depended on Donghae. Every moment he wasn't with him, he wanted to be with him. Not even do anything, just be. Just watch Donghae do things, just hear Donghae talk and see him smile. Maybe touch Donghae, maybe feel his breath against his face again like on that night. Donghae was getting very clingy, when Eunhyuk was around, when it was just the two of them, he would be so close Eunhyuk could smell the sweat on him. It wasn't unpleasant, it was strangely appealing. It was the scent of Donghae, it was rough, opposed to Eunhyuk's, which was caused by different products he used every day. Donghae told Eunhyuk smelled nice, though.

One day Donghae kissed Eunhyuk. It wasn't a full kiss, just a peck on the cheek, but it happened when Eunhyuk was leaving back at the summer house to eat. Donghae pulled him close by his hands, then inched closer and closer, until he could press his lips against Eunhyuk's face.

"Come back soon," he said. Eunhyuk nodded, not quite sure what to say anymore. He turned around and left. Once he reached the house, he pressed his fingers against the spot. It felt hot under his touch.

 

Four days later, and Eunhyuk couldn't stop thinking. In contrast, he couldn't start thinking either. His brain was not functioning, because of Donghae. And Donghae kissing him. It took him all his courage, everything from the pit of his stomach and the corners of his heart to go to Donghae that day. He made sure they were alone as he stepped so close to Donghae their noses almost bumped into one another's.

"I want you to kiss me everywhere. I want to feel you kissing me," Eunhyuk said, his face must have been burning red, because it felt like it was on fire. Donghae chuckled, and Eunhyuk thought he was doomed, until Donghae set his hands onto Eunhyuk's hips and kissed the corner of his mouth. Then his cheek. The tip of his nose. His sharp jawline. His forehead. His neck. The little bit of his shoulder revealed by the loose top. His other cheek. His eyebrow. He kissed everywhere he could reach. Eunhyuk kept his eyes tightly shut, but otherwise his body was wax under Donghae's touch. The brunette pulled away and blew air towards Eunhyuk's eyes so he would open them. Eunhyuk did, and then a kiss was pressed fully onto his lips. In matter of seconds, his eyes fluttered closed again, his arms were spaghetti and his body was in danger to fall onto the ground, if it wasn't for Donghae's arms around him.

He didn't know how long they kissed, but who really counts the amount of time they spend on kissing. It lasted long enough for Eunhyuk to melt completely. He felt it to his very core, and he hoped it was the same for Donghae. He was smiling very big, at least, and Eunhyuk couldn't fight the grin spreading on his face as well.

"Thank you," Eunhyuk whispered, resting his forehead against Donghae's.

"Why are you thanking me for?" Donghae chuckled, Eunhyuk's cheek with his calloused thumb.

"For showing me."