Erase And Rewind

Erase And Rewind [Oneshot]

His body was shaking, his face was damp. His tears weren’t showing any signs that they would stop any time soon. His throat hurt, his eyes stung, yet the worst pain of all was something he couldn’t even define. How should one mend a broken heart anyway?

As he watched the man who used to be the center of his world walked away, Lee Hyukjae swore that day that he would not believe in love ever again.

---------------------------------------------

With a perfectly pressed suit, sleek new tie, clean crisp white shirt and a clear sharp mind, Lee Donghae walked into the boardroom with every determination he could build in himself. He would win the bidding his small but growing company had worked hard on. He believed he was on top of his game, he believed nothing would ever bring him down.

Yet those dark almond-shaped eyes that were burning holes into him as soon as he walked in managed to destroy those beliefs.

---------------------------------------------

Oh how sweet the taste of revenge was. Sweet, pleasing and intoxicating. Hyukjae was drowning in it, breathing in it, and drinking it all at the same time. Who would’ve thought that the future of the man who had destroyed his heart beyond repair would fall effortlessly into his hands?

As he shook his head at the folder containing the bidding proposal that actually would bring in great fortune for the company he inherited from his father, watching Donghae’s face turned pale, Hyukjae was even surer of the fact that the coldest revenge was the sweetest.

-----------------------------------------------

If it were any other man, Donghae would want nothing but confrontation. A punch to the face, a kick to the gut, all of those would be enough to teach the idiotic company heir that his proposal was the best among other by miles. But this was Hyukjae, and even though his company would face major troubles from the rejection, confrontation with said man was the last thing he wanted.

What should he say to the man he finally stumbled upon again after five years? The man he had knowingly walked away from?

----------------------------------------------

Hyukjae’s hair was fiery red five years ago, Donghae still remembered it. Just as how he still remembered Hyukjae’s eyes started glistening with tears at the unexpected news. It wasn’t that Donghae didn’t love him because he did. Strongly. So strong that it scared him, so strong that it made him feel like he fell into Hyukjae and lost himself there. The fear then replaced the love.

So he left. Five words did the trick; ‘I don’t love you anymore’. It seemed simple, except for the fact that as soon as he walked away he knew something wasn't right.

When he woke up from the reality that transformed into his dream, Donghae suddenly felt as if he could smell that strong aroma of espresso again, the one that invaded his senses as he stood up and took the first step towards the exit door of the small café just as the first tear fell from Hyukjae’s eyes five years ago.

And five years’ worth of guilt finally overflowed from within Donghae.

------------------------------------------------------

Hyukjae couldn’t believe his eyes when he found Donghae at his doorstep, clearly drunk, breath smelled strongly of alcohol. The latter didn’t do anything threatening, though. He just stood in front of Hyukjae, brushed his palm over his cheek and said softly, his voice barely above a whisper; that what happened five years ago was his fault. That he should’ve apologized but he didn’t. That he wanted Hyukjae to know that he understood why he wanted to seek revenge, and that he forgave Hyukjae for it.

As Donghae’s figure disappeared into the dark street, a single tear Hyukjae had been holding in for too long finally fell, because what Donghae just did was what he hadn’t been able to do in all those years; to forgive.

-------------------------------------------------

It was the same café, it was the same beverage, it was the same person sitting across Donghae. Five years didn’t seem to have contributed anything to the two of them. The difference was that explanations were provided, unlike the unexplained but clearly done goodbyes they had the last time they were in that place.

Donghae was sure of one thing that day. No matter what Hyukjae would say by the end of their meeting, he would finally find peace. Whatever guilt he’d been carrying needed to be gone.

Because Hyukjae would finally know that the guilt Donghae felt meant that their separation wasn’t supposed to happen, and that the thought of Hyukjae never stopped consuming him.

------------------------------------------------

The arms that wrapped around Hyukjae’s waist were as warm as they had ever been and it brought a smile to his face. As he turned around and moved closer to Donghae as if wanting to mold into one with him, the latter smiled back at Hyukjae.

Letting his lips danced on Donghae’s as they tried to relive what was lost but never forgotten between them, Hyukjae found it rather beautiful that the person who made him stop believing in love was the same person who restored his belief.

------------------------------------------------

I.....honestly don't know what this is. .___. Please forgive the shortness. I hope you guys enjoy. ^^

*EDITED, because I must've been half asleep when I wrote this

**FanGirlEunYoo, you guessed right ^^