Prologue

A Man in the Water

“Joon...” Her voice was barely audible. Her hands fraily shakes my shoulders.

“Joon, come on. There’s a boat,” she says and shakes my shoulders harder.

“Joon! Joon! Come on, Joon! Wake up!” her voice cracks.

God, please just let me wake up. No! I’m awake, I just can’t move! I can’t even move my lips to whisper comforting words to her. It’s breaking my heart.

“I’ll never let go, Joon. I’ll never let go.”

The next thing I know is she tears my hands from hers, allowing me to drift into the water. “Jieun!” I want to scream, but water is already in my lungs.

I don’t know how long I have been sunked in this ocean. All I know is that no matter what, I have to move. Or else I’ll die.

Seems like a miracle, my eyes suddenly fly open and I’m awake! I start to move my legs. First the left, then the right one. Back and forth. Again and again. I’m propelled upwards, towards the surface. Come on! Almost there.

My lungs are burning, they’re filled with ocean water, I lost the connection to my hands because it’s too cold. And finally, my head breaks the surface. I’m alive.

I’m alive.

The first thing that I do is look around. Why am I in the water? What's wrong with everyone around me. How am I supposed to live while everyone around me are...dead?

I swim this way and that, till I found a wood to keep me alive. Yeah, your life is precious.

There. I see a boat over there. I quickly swim towards it, as fast as I can. “I’m here,” my voice breaks. “Wait!”

A girl turns around and spots me who is sighing helplessly. She pointed at me, screamed several things and the boat turns back. I’m lifted into the boat and wrapped in a blanket, a thick blanket that this pretty girl with dazzling brown eyes just gave to me.

“You’re save...” she says.

I hope so.

I once again turn my eyes in every direction. My head hurts whenever I try to think about what has brought me here.