Of an Ugly Tree and First Kisses

A Tree and A Promise Kept
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Why are you here!?” Henry demanded, as he yanked Amber out of the club. He let go of her as they reached to the edge of the street but Amber fumbled on her feet, and so he had to hold her again.

“Why are YOU here?” she repeated after him.

“Me?” Henry repeated incredulously. “I’m here because I was looking for you!”

“I’m here because you,” Amber replied, cloning her words after his, although it barely made sense as they slurred together but Henry blushed nonetheless. He knew this was drunk Amber talking but it didn’t take time for his heart to soar upon her words, and he couldn’t even explain why he was feeling this way tonight. Sighing, he walked to the front and squatted, his head in his hand. Amber walked to the front next to him, copying him, and squatted down too.

Henry hid an amused smile.

 

When Henry reached the club ten minutes earlier he saw Yuri was more than slightly tipsy as she kept pulling Amber off the seat as the younger girl plopped down on the sofa again and again and Hyoyeon was desperate to pull Yuri to sit down next to her, afraid that her best friend would make a scene.

 

“What are you guys doing?” Henry had asked, there was more than just a hint of testiness in his voice, and his question was directed at Hyoyeon, who appeared to be the only one sober among the trio.

 

Henry remembered shaking his head in disappointment at them, as he took charge of taking Amber off of Yuri’s possessive claws; Yuri was still oblivious to the situation before her, and shrieked “Hey let go of Amber, who are you?” at Henry, as Hyoyeon bit her lips guiltily, finally realizing they did went a little to overboard with Amber, who obviously can’t tolerate alcohol.

“No, Yuri, you let go of her,” Hyoyeon said levelly, and yanked Yuri down next to her. “Sober up. We’re going home. It’s late.”

 

Henry had left the two girls behind after making sure that Hyoyeon was fine handling the drunk Yuri, or to be more precise, after the girl snapped at him, telling him to mind his own business, she can take care of herself and her friend is her business and that Yuri was her friend, and that they and Henry were in no way at all friends, so he should just leave and take his little friend Amber with him. Henry had sworn that Korean girls can be as deranged as they can rude.

 

 

“Follow me,” Henry said, standing up and tugging Amber’s hand with him so she stood up too.

“Follow you,” Amber repeated, but she could barely walk in a straight line before stumbling.

“Seriously,” Henry barked, trying to gain balance as Amber’s weight shifted to her arm, and the synergy almost caused Henry to trip over. “How many drinks have you had?”

 

Amber held one finger up, before getting fascinated by her own fingers, she slowly opened them up one by one, her eyes a little crossed. Henry watched her in disbelief, and slightly in admiration. How can a girl be so ridiculously smashed after just one drink and still be ridiculously cute! Henry decided that it was his feelings for her that made him so biased.

 

“Hold on to my back, I’ll carry you.”

“You’ll carry me.”

“You really like following people’s words, huh?” Chuckling, Henry hiked Amber’s weight up against his back, he easily found balance, Amber was not at all heavy.

“I like following your words,” Amber sleepily replied, causing the boy to smile.

 

Henry crossed the pedestrian walk towards the pavement walk, tall trees with random LED lights decorated around them, very much aware of Amber’s soft breathing against his left earlobe. Henry kidded himself that this was probably his most intimate moment with Amber ever, and maybe not even Julian could top this. Julian. He admitted his sudden thoughts about Julian made him uncomfortable. He had been treating his friend so sloppily these past few days, maybe he was jealous of him and Amber, maybe he knew he should be ashamed of himself for feeling so, they were his closest friends, it wasn’t anybody’s fault that somewhere along the road, Henry’s feelings for Amber changed into something more. The only thing left to do was confess, Henry. You know that’s the only way you feel better.

 

“You know something, I like you.”

After a short pause, Henry heard her cloned reply, slurring, “I like you,” and smiled. He was sort of expecting that. He didn’t think he would be ready to know how Amber really felt about him just then.

“I’ve been afraid to ask,” Henry went on, a little quieter this time, as if talking to himself, “but I really want to know how you feel about me. And Julian. Do you like Julian?”

“Julian!? I like Julian!” Henry was a little startled, he tried to cast it off as drunk talk but something about the way she called Julian’s name bother him, and he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter