Chapter 1

Shakespeare and Love

 

Romeo and Juliet. The most iconic love story known to literature and playwright world. Boy meets Girl. Boy falls in love with Girl. Girl likes Boy too but their family does not like eachother. Boy and Girl secretly marry. Boy kills Girl's cousin. Boy and Girl plan to run away together. Plan fails and they both die in the end. Romantic isn't it? 
 
To be sincere, romance isn't my concern or area of interest. It's the writing that captivates me. It's the drama in the play that the actors (good actors) portray. Shakespeare's plays are a different world of its own. It's his writing, the words, that make the essence of the play inticing and illustrative. The poetry and figurative speech. Shakespeare was able to create a language of his own something any other author, except maybe Dr. Seuss, can't say about themselves. 
 
Have you guessed that I'm a fan yet? No, I don't belong to the nerdy Shakespearen Club that some of its members believe Shakepeare to there dead soulmate. But I do admire the man. 
 
I admit, I was disappointed for not having the opportunity to direct Hamlet for this year's school play. Nevertheless, I was grateful to hear that Professor Jung didn't choose High School Musical or Grease for this year's production. 
 
Each year a hardworking Senior from the drama department is chosen to direct the school play. For the first time in school history, I am the first Junior to be chosen to be the director. As excited I may be for this rare opportunity, I also feel a burden to make this year's play perfect. No mistakes can be made. And the perfectionist that I am the search for the perfect Romeo and Juliet is in line. I'm aware that's a lot of perfects.
 
First line of business, post as many fliers possible around the campus announcing auditions for the play. Chansung and I. Spent all night getting the fliers done and discussing plans for the set. An artist never rests. That's why I chose Chansung as the stage and set manager. The boy overflows with ideas, which Is what I exactly need to make this play blow up as Jay would say.
 
Well, I've finally filled the east wing's egg shell-white wall with as many fliers as possible. Now to proceed for further promoting near the school's gym hallways. I could use some jocks as extras during the fight scenes in the play. 
 
"What's that?" Ok Taecyeon. My dorky, tall, and surprisingly built Bestfriend asks after approaching me at an audible distance. I bet your wondering why we are wandering in the school hallways during school hours? Oh, I didn't mention it's only noon? Well, Taec and I both have free period. I usually spend it in drama department watching old films or library tutoring Wooyoung. As for, Taec he likes to spend it in the weight room ever since he became besties with Jay. Not that I'm jealous.
 
But on the serious note, I'm beginning to considering ridding Taec as Bestfriend position. Even Junsu is more aware about my life than Taecyeon. Which by the way, is rare to see him around because he usaully spends his free time in the music room. Though lately he's out on the field ing on the cheerleaders with Taec and new bff Jay. (Still not jealous.) So if there is anyone interested he's up for grabs. 
 
It seems Taec has been able to sense my annoyance and evil plots to kill him. Because his  memory miraculously jolts up. "Oh, the play thing!" I can't. I simply walk away fighting whatever urge to kick Taec in the shin. 
 
"Oh, come on! Don't be mad." Taecyeon whines behind me, he pouts, he tugs the end of my braid, following me all the way to the gym. Finally taking the initiative Taec grabs the stack of flyiers from my arms and he hastily begins to tape them up. Within minutes a row of, crooked, play audition announcements fill the walls of the hallway. 
 
"What play are you guys doing anyways." I close my tightly, shunning Taec from my eyesight. Thou shall not kill. I like to remind myself this whenever Taec's around. It's the only thing I remember learning in bible camp last year. 
 
"Romeo and Juliet." 
 
"Shouldn't be too hard to find a cast. I bet all of the Shakespeare Club nerds will want to audition." Funny who you call nerd Mr. Harry Potter glasses. 
 
"Actually, they've decided to boycott the play. They're upset because I decided not to stick to the original play but rather direct the modern Romeo and Juliet version with Leonardo Dicaprio and Claire Danes."
 
"You're going to be directing the play?! Nice. My Bestfriend the director." Taecyeon playfully nudges me with his shoulder. "Is there is chance I can be part of your production Miss Director?" Taec jokes with a waggle his eyebrows. A new turn of events has occurred because instead of rolling my eyes and telling Taec to shut up an idea sparks. 
 
"Actually, there might be a part for you in the play. Something tells me you'd make a convincing Mercutio. But you have would to audition first."
 
"I'll start rehearsing." Taecyeon grins, placing an arm over shoulder. "Come on, our free period is almost over. Don't want to be late for Chem." I nod and walk alongside Taec. God only knows what Professor Kim would do if we arrive late to class. Again.