Back and Forth

Cardboard Boxes

 

 

Up the three flights of stairs, through the tight door, then maneuver around all of the rubbish already piled up in the apartment; maybe, maybe the room of interest wouldn’t already be filled to the brim and there was room for one last box to stack atop the slowly growing mountains.

It’s been five years; five long years of sneaking to each other’s houses, all-nighters working on Key’s college applications, playing mortal combat for hours on end.

Of high school rumors, judgmental ex-friends, losing their parents’ trust.

And finally, finally, Jonghyun and Key were moving in together. They had saved up enough to get a small apartment just down the street from school. They made it, and as much as Key didn’t want to start getting dramatic when it was just ten in the morning, the reality never really did hit him.

He shook his head, deciding he should at least try to focus on the task at hand –before he started gushing. Key dropped the box in his hands on the floor, running a hand through his blonde hair with a huff as he mulled over all of the things he was going to have to go through to get to the bedroom of which this box of clothes belonged.

Moving, was the worst thing he’s ever done in his life. Even after he thought about what he had to do to get there (granted it was worth it) he was still not very enthusiastic with this part of the ordeal. It was time consuming, stressful, not to mention his worst nightmare that came with the territory: the heavy lifting –which he didn’t necessarily have to do because there was absolutely no way he was carrying anything over 30 pounds. Yeah, the heavy lifting was Jonghyun and the movers’ burden to bear.

All in all, Key carried about three boxes and then had the nerve to plop down on the couch (that still didn’t have any legs) with an exasperated sigh and fan himself with a magazine he had found in the moving truck. He whined about how tiring this whole ordeal was as if he’d actually suffered like the rest of them; all Jonghyun could do was scoff. He had it in his right mind to hit the younger boy in the back of the head with the weird, ‘chic’ shelf (that had obviously come from the dorm Key had been living in and not his own) he was currently carrying to the back room, but that probablywasn’t very wise of him.

You’re tired?” He asked, amused at how dramatic the other boy could be sometimes. Key simply nodded, as if it only made sense for him to be as worn out as he was while more movers walked by with two boxes each.

Jonghyun scolded him for being lazy and for never even attempting to build some muscle mass; which of course Key argued back, saying his dance classes required strength in many areas of his body and that Jonghyun hasn’t seen some of the women he has to lift.

Not even bothering with a rebuttal, Jonghyun let it go because as usual, Key won –even if he really didn’t- and got back to work. As everyone else was busy going back and forth, Key focused his attention on messing with the cuffs in his jean shorts that looked about two sizes too big.

Eventually, they (Jonghyun and the movers) managed to get all of the boxes inside the apartment; with a five dollar tip to each for their effort, Key sent them on their way.

Once they had all gone, Jonghyun landed face-first on the pale couch with a loud groan, half his body was hanging off the side of the couch and Key couldn’t help but kick him a little with his big toe, a smirk gracing his features. Jonghyun let out a displeased noise that sounded akin to a whiny “why?” which only amused Key that much more and he nudged him with his foot again, this time turning him over on his side. Key rolled his eyes when Jonghyun pouted like a five year old girl. He looked away from the childish brunette when his phone buzzed in his pocket.

“You know,” Key began, still messing with the handheld, not looking back up at Jonghyun, “just because the movers left, doesn’t mean we’re done.” At this, he rolled back on his stomach, all the while grumbling because he knew as well as Key did, he was probably going to end up having to do all of the work.

“Can’t that wait until tomorrow?”

Key ignored him, patting his head as he stood up and opened the first box he saw. Dishes, he thought as walked to the kitchen –which was really just a little L-shaped area beside the door with the bare necessities for cooking- and opened each of the cabinets, picking and choosing all the perfect places for the cups, plates, and mugs. Meticulous as he was, the fact that none of their tableware matched disturbed him greatly –as humble college students, most would think their dishes weren’t supposedto match. But of course, that wasn’t the case for Key- and made the process a lot more complicated than it really was.

Finally deciding on an arrangement, he went back to the living room and pushed passed all of the boxes as if it were some sort of obstacle course. Sighing dramatically, he brushed by Jonghyun, who hadn’t moved an inch, and picked up the box he had just opened, an over exerted grunt leaving his lips as he hauled it to the kitchen –even though in reality, it wasn’t really that heavy.

He glanced over to Jonghyun, who was just a few feet away and gradually being prompted to move by all of the noise Key was making. He conjured up a little more racket, shuffling the dishes loudly and then moaned, as if he’d hurt himself. He smirked when Jonghyun turned his head to the side, not wanting to go anywhere, but they both knew he was going to get up, go all the way over there, just to find out that all of that was a part of Key’s little plan. He falls for it every single time. Another unsettling clamor and slowly but surely, he sat up, looking like the walking dead. He rubbed his eyes and exhaled deeply before finally getting up to go investigate.

The grin on Key’s face when he saw Jonghyun walk in looking less than amused was priceless and he immediately started directing the whole show as he went back to stacking dishes in the proper cupboards. The blonde resisted the urge to laugh when he started whistling a little victory tune that had Jonghyun’s eyebrow twitching.

Instead of following all the instructions the younger boy had given out (even if he wanted to, they were rattled off far too fast for anyone to comprehend really, maybe even Key), Jonghyun chuckled under his breath and circled his arms around Key’s waist, burying his face in the junction between his shoulder and neck. Nearly dropping the rather large stack of plates he had lifted above their heads in surprise from the sudden action, Key stopped mid-sentence and his breathing faltered a bit –after years of being together, he was probably never going to get used to this. Slowly, he placed the dishes back on the counter and turned his head to look at the other boy.

“Jonghyun…?” His question filled the empty air and went unanswered save for a simple hum from Jonghyun’s lips. Key sighed and turned around in Jonghyun’s arms, settling his hands on the other boy’s strong chest and giving him a questioning look. When Jonghyun leaned in and captured Key’s lips softly, unpacking was instantly thrown to one of the many dark corner of his mind. It was simple –not super passionate or deep- but it had Key’s knees going weak, a power Jonghyun always seemed to have on the younger boy.

“Why?” He asked when Jonghyun finally pulled away just moments later, trying to hide the bright blush and the even brighter smile that spread across his face.

Jonghyun shrugged, picking Key up and placing him on the counter. He placed his elbows on either side of Key’s thighs and leaned into his hands, looking up at him with those puppy dog eyes.

“It can wait until tomorrow.”

 
 
 
a/n: so guys, this is what i wrote for my creative writing assignment. it was a stupid prompt (either write about how books make you feel, or write a fanfiction. obviously.) so yeah. this is what i went with. also, its extremely short because the max number of pages is five.
 
you guys should give me advice on how to get an A. i'm pathetic.
 
stupid title is stupid.
 
in any case:
 
thanks for reading :D