Smelly Creature

Royal Fugitive

Jongin and Joonmyun were standing in full alert, as if they had been ready to attack any foe which could’ve appeared out of nowhere. Kyungsoo would’ve joined them too if Baekhyun didn’t fall in a faint helplessly on his lap. As his hands had been itching to fight, he switched his role with Yixing. The prince was taking care of the merchant so Kyungsoo could move freely.

 

The four of them had forgotten their fierce argument and now they’re protecting at each other’s back. Kyungsoo pulled out his double swords as he positioned himself to stand up next to Joonmyun.

 

“Yixing, wake him up quickly. He will be a burden if he still unconscious” The royal guardian said sourly. Yixing didn’t need to be told twice; he directly put Baekhyun on his embrace and cured his unconscious state.

 

“I’ve ever read about this phenomenon” Out of the blue, Yixing stated from behind while curing Baekhyun. “This sudden silence, the foul smell—I think I know what’s happening.”

 

Jongin looked over his shoulder. He could see the white ray was emitting from Yixing’s palm, directing it to Baekhyun’s forehead. “What do you mean you know? What is going on here?”

 

Joonmyun and Kyungsoo, who were still aware on their surroundings, also paid attention to Yixing as well. They were waiting for the answer, but Yixing was still silenced and looking at Jongin cluelessly.

 

“That’s the problem. I somehow forgot about it” Yixing scratched his not-so-itchy neck with index finger while smiling sheepishly. “Sorry, I have read it for long time ago”

 

“WHAT DID YOU SAY?! SO WHAT’S THE POINT OF SAYING ‘I THINK I KNOW’ IF YOU FORGOT IT?!” Kyungsoo nagged until his neck veins bulged out, pointing Yixing's face by a sword. Honestly, the royal guardian doubt that Yixing brought his brain with him.

 

Just right after Kyungsoo had yelled out, noisy sound was heard from behind the bushes; it sounded like dry leaves which were stepped by something wild—something big, and it was running toward them. They had known something bad would appear, yet none of them moved away from where they’re standing.

 

Suddenly a giant animal about three meters in height was coming out of the bushes, making Jongin, Joonmyun, and Kyungsoo were thrown to the rear and tumbled on the ground from its powerful push. The giant animal stretched out its wings while stepping its front feet like a horse. Jaws opened wide, roaring roughly like a lion. It’s not too difficult to see the sharp protruding canines from its jaws—because all of its teeth were canines.

 

Aha! I remember now.” Out of the blue Yixing exclaimed, snapping his fingers. “It must be Fretzel; a half unicorn and half lion. People say that an area would smell awful when they appear.”

 

Kyungsoo glared.

 

He could’ve smacked Yixing due to his terrible memory, but he preferred to use up his precious energy for carrying Baekhyun—whom Kyungsoo believes that he might be a descendant of sleeping beauty—up on his back. When they turned around, trying to escape themselves not to be chewed out by the all-canines jaws; the same animal emerged out of the bushes behind them.

 

Two Fretzels. Two smelly Fretzels were trapping them.

 

Aha! I remember now.” Yixing snapped his fingers again. “Fretzels hunt in a group and usually the other one will appear from behind the prey” With that, Kyungsoo flew his free hand to slap the Prince, right on his head. Positive. Yixing had left his brain on his palace.

 

Ssh—keep your voice down” Joonmyun motioned his hand as he warned the others. “I’ve heard that Fretzels are actually blind, but they easily get irritated with noise.”

 

Since the information from Joonmyun was way more usefull rather than Yixing’s, they stepped back silently, not want to attract attention. Joonmyun was dubbed as a walking dictionary not without reason; what he had just said was right, the Fretzels didn’t respond to anything but sound. Joonmyun looked up at the confused Fretzels before him. The smelly creatures looked around, searching for their preys that somehow were missing.

 

How could they’re here? They should’ve been extinct in massacre hundred years ago.” He furrowed his eyebrows. Joonmyun was sure enough that someone might have summoned them. He slowly shook his head at his own thought. “No. The North wizards will never commit in such a crime—could it be—

 

Before Joonmyun had the conclusion (and simply make the readers curious to death), the Merchant all of sudden woke up and again—

 

“AAAAAACCCCCCKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!” Baekhyun screamed at the top of his lungs to the point that his voice was higher than Mariah Carey. “WHAT THE HELL IS THAT??!”

 

In a record time, the two Fretzels growled roughly in animalistic sound, knowing their location from the screaming—thanks to Baekhyun—and going after them.

 

“$@^#%$^ You stupid mouth! SPLIT UP! SPLIT UP!” Kyungsoo made a sudden plan, hoping the Fretzels would split up as well. He dragged Yixing and Baekhyun run to the left and Joonmyun took the opposite way. With that, they were separated.

 

When Kyungsoo and Yixing was running for their lives in a straight line, Baekhyun suddenly turned around and ran toward his tent, intending to runaway with the remaining stuff he had.

 

“Hey! What are you doing? Get back here!” Kyungsoo shouted angrily at the selfish merchant. Baekhyun turned around and waved his hand from afar.

 

“Sorry, dude. Our agreement is over! I still love my life” Baekhyun yelled. He picked up his backpack and ready to leave the place. But, when he was about to walk away, one Fretzel, that was going after Joonmyun and Jongin, suddenly flew and blocked Baekhyun. Still shock, Baekhyun stunned on where he was standing when a big paw was ready to hit him.

 

“Watch out!!”

 

Yixing managed to push Baekhyun aside, before the claw had ever touched the merchant. But as replacement, Yixing got his back scratched deeply by its claw. Baekhyun rolled on the ground from the strong push. As he looked up to see his saviour, he saw that Yixing sprawled on the ground and unable to stand up each time he tried to do so; he was looked like a fresh meat to the hungry Fretzel.

 

“YIXING!!!” Hoarse voice called him as Kyungsoo directly ran toward his Prince. But when Kyungsoo was about to save him, another Fretzel was already at his sight. It seemed that Fretzel was attracted by Kyungsoo’s screaming.

 

Everything was happening so fast to be proceeding by Baekhyun’s logic. One thing he knew that he had hugged Yixing for protecting him—which soon he realized it was useless. By the time the Fretzel’s claw was only one meters away, Baekhyun squeezed his eyes shut and tightened up his hugging. He was ready if he had to die that day—at least he was not alone.

 

SHIELD

 

A second later, nothing was happened. No pain, no sharp claw, and Baekhyun found he still alive. Feeling safe, he mustered up courage to lift one eyelid to peek on what happening. He saw a big dome from wind that sealed off them from the Fretzel, blockading the attack perfectly.

 

“Are you okay?” Joonmyun weakly asked; his voice was shaking. Both of his tremble arms extended out to the front as his palms were emerging a wind shield. Yixing and Baekhyun nodded in response, signaling their good condition. Not even two minutes since Joonmyun had been releasing a shield, he seemed so exhausted. One of his leg was trembling as he couldn’t bear the pressure he take. He dropped one knee to the ground, but he still forcefully preserved the shape of the wind shield.

 

At the point that Joonmyun almost lost his power, a big arrow hit the Fretzel. The magic creature directly burst into dust and disappeared in the air right before the wind shield vanished. Joonmyun had his hand on the ground to support himself before he collapsed. His chest waved up and down from uneven breathing and he dripped in sweat. Everything he saw was spinning on his eyes and gradually his body collapsed. He had expected to hit the dirty and hard ground, but somehow he landed on something soft and warm instead.   

 

As he weakly lift his eyelids, Joonmyun was already in Jongin’s embrace. His little spoiled Prince was looked so anxious. He could see Jongin mouthed something that Joonmyun barely heard from his half-consciousness, but he nodded. Joonmyun felt both grateful and regret. He was grateful when knew that Jongin was all fine, and regretted that he should’ve been protected the Prince and not otherwise. He knew the wind arrow which had saved him was coming form Jongin.

 

Joonmyun was not so weak back then, but long journey and a low meal he had—not to mention it was lack of nutrition—made his power severely reduced. He felt so tired and in no time he was fallen asleep in Jongin’s arms.

 

“Yixing! Are you alright?” Kyungsoo came up and cringed when seeing his hands were stained by Yixing’s blood.

 

“I’m okay, don’t worry” Yixing replied weakly with a wince in his face. He tried to straighten his back, but the sting of pain from the injury restrained him not to move any further. With the remaining breath he had, Yixing clutched on Kyungsoo’s robe. “The merchant—is he alright?” He winced again, holding back the pain consuming his body.

 

Baekhyun was caught off guard; he felt guilty of being selfish, whereas the man named Yixing, who was injured because of his selfishness, still cared of Baekhyun.

 

“I-I'm alright”

 

“Thanks god you're saved” Yixing barely said. His pale lips tugged into a weak smile. Kyungsoo clenched his teeth impatiently, hands hugging Yixing tightly before he turned to Baekhyun.

 

“What are you waiting for?!” Kyungsoo barked furiously to Baekhyun. “Get him anything you have for healing the wounds. Now!” The merchant was shocked at his stern voice and quickly took the medicines.

 

“Isn’t he a healer?” Jongin asked. Kyungsoo took a glance at Jongin through the corner of his eyes, seeing Jongin carried up his friend on his back, but quickly he looked at his Prince again.

 

“He cannot apply the power to himself” Kyungsoo murmured worriedly, eyes never leaving the Prince. Not longer after that, Baekhyun came up with two small bottles in his hand; one was green and the other was blue.

 

“Here is a wet towel for cleaning up the wound. And this—” he handed Kyungsoo a small crystal bottle full of transparent green liquid, “it is elixir optima. Apply it onto his wound and his wounds will soon vanish”.

 

Without wasting time, Kyungsoo turned Yixing around so his back was up. He ripped his already tattered clothes before cleaning up the wounds from drying blood. As told by Baekhyun, Kyungsoo dripped the potion all over his wounds and smeared it by his palm while Yixing winced and bit his lips from the burning pain he felt on the back.

 

Baekhyun gave Jongin the blue bottle. The merchant said it’s a mana potion which could recover stamina instantly. Immediately, Jongin opened up the bottle and helped Joonmyun to drink it.

 

***

 

Err—everyone—thank you” Baekhyun mumbled shyly, but loud enough to break the silent. He was busy playing with his fingers, instead of looking at the other’s face. “Thanks a lot, really. I’m a stranger to you, but still you were willing to save my life. I’m sorry I was so selfish and I’m regretting on what I’ve done. I hope you would forgive me.”

 

Hearing Baekhyun’s sincere voice, Yixing tugged his lips into a smile; actually the merchant was not as jerk as he had thought, even Jongin and Kyungsoo, who had been angry to him, forgave him.

 

“It’s okay. All of us are traveller. If we were not helping each other, who else?” Joonmyun said as he gave Baekhyun comforting pats at his shoulder. Baekhyun slowly looked up and they’re smiling along with him.

 

The awkward moment soon melted after Baekhyun introduced himself. Jongin and Joonmyun preferred to hide their name and pretended to be brothers coming from common people. They didn’t want to raise suspicion as Yixing and Kyungsoo were literally coming from their arch-enemy kingdom. Luckily, the West people were well-known as tough hunters; so they no need to tell a lie. But speaking frankly, Jongin was a bit upset as Joonmyun picked his cat’s name to be his alias.

 

In the other hand, it’s hard for Kyungsoo and Yixing not to lie. Everyone knew that in East, whom most of the people were farmers, only a nobleman and a knight allowed learning fencing and using magic. Nevertheless, Yixing didn’t necessarily admit that he was a Prince; he said that he was a healer—even the inferior one. He also mentioned that Kyungsoo was just an upcoming knight—and certainly the nerves on the guardian’s head twitched in resentment at the words. An upcoming knight? In the East, Kyungsoo was equal to a warlord. Kyungsoo just grunted under his breath, but promised to himself he would smack his Prince later.

 

“Hey, Baekhyun” Jongin called him out in the middle of conversation. “My brother has saved your life, so would you mind if we borrow your pass card?” Baekhyun let out a big sigh; he had known they would bring that topic up again. Before he could say or reply anything, Kyungsoo laughed at Jongin.   

 

“Shame on you! Are you demanding for a payment after helping him out? Un-be-lieve-able” Kyungsoo scoffed before he pointed his finger to Yixing. “He is the one who got injury in fight and he nearly die from it. We helped him too so we have the right.” Yixing slapped his own face in embarrassment as his royal guardian said it right after insulting Jongin; totally a hypocrite.

 

If there’s any competition about stubborn, then Jongin and Kyungsoo might be the first winner on their own Kingdom. Even though the hatred they had for each other slightly reduced, they obviously would love to fight once they had a chance. But Baekhyun was so tired today and more fights were just turned his mood down even more. So he pushed them away before another cat-fighting starts over again.

 

“Enough gentlemen, no more fight” He said lazily. “Actually one pass-card could be used by six peoples.”

 

Silent.

 

And all eyes glared at Baekhyun in disbelief look. They had fought each other in the most ridiculous way and almost spent a lot of money for nothing. Unconsciously, Jongin and Kyungsoo were already got up from their place, cracking their finger’s bones to beat Baekhyun up anytime.

 

Feeling his life in danger, Baekhyun had both of his arms covered up his head. “STOPP!! I was making an excuse back then. I’ve barely known you before. How could I trust you easily and made a guild together? Merchant are often being a robbery target and for your information I easily suspect anyone”.

 

“He is right though.” Jongin narrowed his eyes, thinking once again and deciding to forgive him this time.

 

Sure enough his head safe from any violence, Baekhyun put his hands down slowly. “I’m going to go to the South Empire as well, and you can come along with me if you want. But I want our business is over once you have arrived at the place, deal?” Nobody objected so they nodded.

 

“Good then. Before we leave, first I want you to write down your name on my card—” Baekhyun slipped his hand over his shirt pocket as his fingers were searching for something. He frowned a bit before shoving his hand deeper to the pocket. But then he stunned for a couple seconds and his face expression gradually changed. Panic, Baekhyun got up and was groping all over the pockets he had in his clothes.

 

“Oh my god!!” Baekhyun yelled frantically in his best shrill voice, hands grabbing his hair. “My—my p-pass card is gone! I cannot go anywhere for trading without the card!! I’m so dead if I lost it!” He ran toward his backpack, turning it upside-down and shaking it vigorously. A rough way to unload his merchandise indeed. He hoped that he would find the pass card at one of its pockets.

 

Jongin, Joonmyun, Yixing, and Kyungsoo looked at each other eyes, searching of any possibility that Baekhyun only fool them again. But, as they watched how panic Baekhyun’s face while unloading his huge backpack was and how he threw away his merchandise carelessly, they realized it’s not a joke. On the next second, all of them were rushing to check out their own belongings.

 

“Damn!!!” Jongin cursed after he found his pocket money was gone. He and Joonmyun lost all of their money, while Kyungsoo and Yixing were still had a good luck, because they had split up the money  so they only lost the half of it.

 

“I should’ve known that those Fretzels were summoned in purpose” Kyungsoo frowned while kicking out a pebble on the ground, making it fly away to somewhere—yet somehow hit Yixing’s forehead.

 

Summoned?” Joonmyun who was still holding his empty bag, suddenly stiffened at the comment and turned to Kyungsoo. “You’re right. There are two clans have the ability to summon a death animal coming to life.” He gulped as the others gave him full attention. “The wizards from North or—the thief clan

 

Jongin snorted furiously and clenched his teeth. His eyebrows furrowed tightly, eyes piercing through nothing on the dark forest; really different with his usual behavior that was looked cheerful and bright. He had never felt so angry like this time before, which could make his chest burning in fury until his palms balled into tight fists. How could a person have a heart to summon dangerous animals and hurt people, hurt his Joonmyun, just for money?

 

“I'll get him. I’m sure he is hiding inside the forest. I’ve ever heard if a summoned animal is dead, the summoner will be injured as well” Jongin grabbed his sword as he intended to go after the thief to the forest, but only to be stopped by Joonmyun.

 

“No—Jong—I mean, Kai. We are not going anywhere. Just search for another merchant” The guardian weakly gripped the Prince’s wrist and he was surprised by the way Jongin looking at him; he’s not like the little Prince Joonmyun had known before.

 

“All of our money was gone, Suho. We need it for our journey” Jongin emphasized the last sentence, but Joonmyun blocked his way when Jongin was about to walk away from him.

 

“Okay—but you can’t go. Let me do this instead” Joonmyun insisted as he pushed Jongin back. The prince glared at him for a while before letting out a sigh at his guardian loyality. He couldn’t miss how Joonmyun’s hands were still trembling on his chest from exhaustion.

 

“You’re not recover, Joonmyun-ah. Take a rest. I always eat a lot and you know I’m strong” Jongin ignored his guardian and tried to walk past him, but that’s only make Joonmyun harshly grabbed his wrist and pulled him to his body, making their face only one inch apart.

 

“Jongin-sshi, I said no” Joonmyun hissed sternly and Jongin couldn’t help anything but winced a bit as Joonmyun gripped his hand so tight. “I promise to you father to protect you wherever you go. If you get hurt, I will never forgive myself”

 

Jongin smiled and cupped his guardian’s cheeks gently. “I promise to my self to keep you save as well, Joonmyun-ah” I’m not a kid anymore who only can hide behind you. I can protect myself” He said softly to make his guardian believe him this time. “Wait here. I promise you I will be back soon if I can’t find him. Don’t worry” Jongin patted his shoulder before releasing his hand from Joonmyun.

 

Actually it was not about the money. Jongin just wanted to capture the thief, who had harmed his lovely guardian. If he managed to catch the thief, Jongin promised that he would chop him into a little piece. Baekhyun decided to accompany Jongin; he knew the place better than anyone, more over he had a responsibility to get back his pass card.

 

***

 

A lot of high trees with fully grown leaves blocked the moonlight from shining over their path. Both of them were nearly engulfed in the twilight. Baekhyun and Jongin’s pupils dilated to the fullest, yet they still barely saw anything there from the low light.

 

Jongin couldn’t tell where his brave was coming from, but again, he felt that his intuition was taking over his body. Being one of a hunter clan he was, Jongin was gifted by a decent smelling sense. Closing his eyes, he breathed the odor that was brought by the wind. He sensed the surrounding even better; he could feel the scent of trees on his right and left, the wet ground under his feet, the night fog, and—the blood. With that, Jongin moved his feet to wherever the blood scent taking him away.

 

Baekhyun was looking at Jongin’s back in amazement. He was wondering how ‘Kai’ could have such a good nose. He barely used his eyes to watch the ground he stepped, but he managed not to bump anything.

 

“Kai, you can trace him out?” Kyungsoo’s voice was echoing from behind. Baekhyun turned to him and nodded because Jongin was too busy sniffing around. Jongin stopped his pace when he arrived at a crossroads; the scent he had been smelling was starting to blur.

 

“Over here!” Jongin exclaimed from afar confidently. Jongin was sure he had chosen the right way as the scent was stronger and stronger with every step he made. He presumed the thief might be terribly injured and it’s kind of miracle not to see him pass out around here. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun hurriedly trailed behind Jongin, who walked forward relentlessly through a winding road.

 

“Wait, Kai!” Baekhyun yelled nearly panic. He sped up his pace to match up Jongin. “Are you sure we are going through this way!?” He asked for confirming.

 

“I can sense the scent is stronger over here, and this is the same scent I sensed back on the edge of forest. Trust me” Jongin explained as he gave a consoling nod. It’s not because Baekhyun didn’t believe in his skill, but it’s because he knew precisely what kind of way Jongin was leading them to. The forest they’re going to enter was considered as a forbidden place.

 

“But—but we are nearly entering the South forest! We can’t go there” Baekhyun warned him, staying still where he was standing.

 

“Coward! Are you willing to lose you pass card, huh?!” Kyungsoo barked beside the merchant’s ear as he walked past him.

 

“B-but it’s true. It’s s-scary here!” Baekhyun stuttered while rubbing his arms by his palms as if he was in cold. Kyungsoo didn’t give a damn at his warning, even Baekhyun heard he was cursing under his breath before following Jongin.

 

Help mee—

Sob—sob

Helpp

 

Vaguely, there’s sound echoing above them. And the three of them froze.

 

“Wh-what was that?” Jongin looked around in alarm, searching for the voice origin. He gulped down a hard lump in his throat. Jongin believed that ghost’s exist. Since he was a child Jongin had been a ghost phobic. Thanks to Joonmyun who had been story-telling him everything since he still a toddler, including scary stories.

 

“I-it must be the voice of the forest spirits” Baekhyun replied and the merchant statement was not helping at all. Jongin in no time was turning white. He would’ve been gladly dealing with lions, fretzels, an angry Joonmyun or any scary creatures in this world you name it—as long as it’s not a ghost.

 

"I can’t believe it that you believe in some stupid tales" Kyungsoo directly looked at them in the most insulting gaze of a people could do as if they were retards. Baekhyun turned and threw a dirty look to Kyungsoo. He hated how Kyungsoo was so cocky all the time and underestimating almost everything.

 

“Hey you! I’ve grown up in this neighborhood. You have no idea how scary this place is! Can you tell me why this place is the only one which has no inhabitant until now? Because it is so deadly dangerous here, you know that?!” Baekhyun exclaimed to Kyungsoo, but it seemed Jongin was the one who really believed him, while the cocky swordsman didn’t frighten at all.

 

By this time Jongin had already had perfectly white as in had a perfect white skin, and he was starting to slap his own cheeks from extreme anxiety while convincing himself that even though Joonmyun was not by his side, he had to still strong.

 

W-Who ith there?

Sob—

I am aff—raaaaiiiddd—

Helllppp—meee

 

Jongin could sense his feet wobbling when the voice echoed in the entire forest.

 

“W-we better go back” Baekhyun stuttered, tugging at Jongin’s cloth. The spoiled prince nodded eagerly. His lips had been turning white—and he had no intention to make his eyeballs turning white too from heart attack.

 

As they were about to turn around, they heard Kyungsoo mocking at them again. “Where do you think you are going? Don’t be a coward” Kyungsoo crossed hands.

 

Not long after that they could see leaves falling from above. Feeling something wrong, Jongin, Kyungsoo, and Baekhyun looked up, but found nothing up on the trees.

 

Sob—

Sob—

Helllpp—meee. I’m going to falll

 

All of sudden, something was falling from the tree; a man with white furry clothes all over his body; his hands and legs were white as well; messy hair with bangs covered his eyes. And that man was sprawling on the ground.

 

Ugh—it hurts—sob

 

A ghost.

 

A creature.

 

And that creature was trying to stand up from the ground. He let out a small groan every time he fell down from his tremble feet. Giving up, he was crawling on the ground in the most terrific way Sadako had ever done, the difference was that this one was not coming out from a well, but that's enough to send a chill trailing down Jongin's spine.

 

Jongin so terrified at the creature falling down before his eyes and his hands unconsciously flailed searching for Kyungsoo’s embrace. Meanwhile, Kyungsoo completely froze like a stone as if his feet nailed to the ground, eyes rounding perfectly. Even he was still standing up motionless when Baekhyun, for the second times today, collapsed onto his arms--again.

 

Sobs—help me

 

That creature made his way toward them, walking his wobbly legs and crying.

 

Helpp—mee—

 

“AAAAAAAAACCCCKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!” Jongin and Kyungsoo screamed hysterically, squeezing Baekhyun who passed out beneath them.

 

***

[A/N]: Wow it's so long, isn't? Thanks for reading ^^