Priscilla's Story

Don't Look Down On Me [semihiatus]

[shuffled song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXThp405adI]

---

"No one likes you."

"Why are you here?"

Just a few words can hurt someone's feelings. Those were examples on how other people hurt mine. I wasn't used to this.

I had so many great friends at my old school. But, sadly, I had to transfer. I'm not sure if my situation is exactly considered great.

In 8th grade, when I was deciding which high school to go to, my parents had received a letter...which ultimately led to now. I had been accepted on a full scholarship, and I didn't even apply for this school. I ignored it at first, and focused on a school my friends and I swore we'd all get into. Turns out, that school's tuition was too expensive, so I had to leave my friends behind. Unfortunately, it was a coincidence that my little sister was diagnosed with cancer. On the bright side, it was curable. But her medical bills put us behind on everything. Despite both my parents working full-time jobs, they struggled to make ends meet. It barely worked.

I began to feel like my parents shouldn't be working this hard just for us, so I contacted the school that offered me the scholarship to tell them I'm in a desperate situation and that I changed my mind. At first they said it was too late, and I admitted that I should've thought it through earlier. I explained to them my circumstances (which all ended up being one big mumble because I was ashamed at my ignorance) and I guess they felt sorry for me, because they said I could still get in on one condition -- I had to take the entrance test a second time.

I passed with flying colors. Even the dean of discipline was amazed. I think you can guess the rest of the story. In a matter of two weeks, I began taking classes at this new school.

A reputable school for the rich, Ouran Academy is one of the best schools in the region, and people said I should consider myself lucky to get a scholarship there. I just considered myself lucky because I'm actually getting an education since my parents had worked their butts off for my old school's tuition.

That was another thing -- the crowd at this school. They all have their own labels, but they're all rich as well. Their parents either are the head of a large company, or their parents don't work at all. I, on the other hand, had to work hard like my parents. It wasn't easy to get a scholarship offered to me that I didn't even want at first. Everything was handed to those kids. I'm not saying they're living those lives because of unfairness, I'm just saying that they didn't have to work for anything. Whatever they needed was already there.

Anyway, that's my life story.

Right now, I am contemplating what troubles would await me in 4th period. Maybe the rest of them would snicker and mock me like they always do? It's nothing new. This happens everyday.

I literally drag myself to 4th period. It's not like I want to go. Why would I be willing to come face-to-face with people who think I'm worth nothing more than dirt?

I reluctantly take my seat in the far left corner of the room. Our Spanish teacher greets us with an enthusiastic "¡Hola!" and the class responds with synchronized acknowledgement.

The teacher smiles and calls the name of the messy-haired boy sitting next to me, Sunghyun. As she asks him to engage in formal conversation with her, her dark eyes show that she expects much from him, in all sincerity. Honestly speaking, Sunghyun is a slow learner. I think he's smart, it just takes awhile for him to really perceive the message. The boy always gets in trouble for speaking Korean in Spanish class.

After their conversation, the teacher excitedly turns to me. "Star pupil," she chirps, "you're capable of a whole conversation in Spanish, right?"

I nod.

I hear a few snickers from the back of the room

I feel my blood boil, telling myself that I've finally had enough.

I boldly stand up, push my chair to the side, and turn to face my enemies.

"Quit pestering me!!" I yell at the top of my lungs.

"She even uses big words when she's mad!" a boy teases.

This doesn't affect me. Though I was wondering what the use of teachers were if they didn't stop things like this.

---

I slam my books down on the glass table and turn around to find a pair of dark, hallow eyes staring me down.

"How was your day?" my best friend asks.

"Nothing new."

Tia lowers her head and takes a quick glance around the library as I begin to stack my notebooks by subject.

"What happened with you?" I ask, knowing it's news about her boyfriend.

She sighs wearily. "Changsoo got into a fight with this kid..."

I furrow my eyebrows a bit to make my interest in the topic more obvious. "Really? Who was it this time?"

"Ahn Sunghyun."

My eyes widen in surprise. "The freshman, Ahn Sunghyun?"

Tia nods slowly, trying to piece together my relation to him in her head. "Yes...why?"

I put my books down and look the petite girl straight in the eyes. She's taken aback. "Just please tell me he didn't do anything irrational..." my voice trails off.

She chuckles. "Why do you care? He's only some kid in your Spanish class, right?"

I choke as I try to hold back the tears. "Please..."

She just continues to mock me with that cackle of hers.

I grab the collar of her white blouse and gulp down the dignity I had left. "Tell me what he did."

Tia looks at me with an alarmed look on her face, yet she still manages to act calm. "Let me go," she insists.

I hesitantly release her. I decide it's a good time to leave, so I start to walk in the opposite direction.

"By the way..." I feel her stare pierce into my back. Her words make me stop in my tracks. "...he's at the hospital. Changsoo didn't go easy on him. No one ever does."

---

I could've done better ;~; I'm sorry, Priscilla. OTL

But, on the bright side, I'll always give you my sarang if this chapter wasn't good enough for you, Grandma :D

I'm going to bed.