Earth

Code: Red

NO ONES POV:

There was a whirring of gears, the creaking of wood and metal, and then there was red.  

"And where do you think youre headed off too?" a deep voice rang out as the puppets creaked to a stop.  They hesitated then slowly turned around to face a man, a very young looking man, giving them a nice smile.

"Youve done as much damage as you could here and now that ive arrived youre leaving?  Wheres the fun in that?"  He asked sarcastically, still smiling, with his hands in his pockets.  He had on a pair of jeans, nikes, and a nice letterman jacket on.  Its not what his previous body wouldve preferred but then again, this was a new body: one that was young and vibrant, one that appreciated the "hip hop" style.

The puppets didnt show any emotions as they had their faces painted on wooden round ovals.  Eyes were too big, lips were too red, everything was out of proportion and honestly, creepy.  They stood completely upright as they faced the man, they were puppets though they still felt fear while seeing this man.  Red was what he called himself, and almost everyone in all the universes knew of him: the last time traveler, the man who was to be feared.

Still, their instinct for everything: they shot at him.  They raised their arms and there came a hole where red laser beams shot out in full speed.  Red ducked for cover as the puppets made their move to teleport out of that planet that they wreaked enough havoc.

Red came out of cover as he looked to where they disappeared, a disappointed countenance.  Then he looked down at his "watch" as he read coordinates; he smiled once he heard that beautiful beeping noise followed by a small dot moving.

"There we go! I KNEW you'd be handy, ya old watch! Ha ha!"  He yelled out of excitement as he ran back to where his time machine,Rubrum, was.  It was a silver trailer that was bigger on the inside, different rooms, a control panel and such.  It was even bigger than a normal human home.

Just as Red was about to hop inside his machine a few people stopped him, or should i say aliens who looked like people, except for their pointy ears and noses.

"Wait! Mr. Red!"  A man yelled, one who was in the front of the crowd.

"Yes?"  Red stopped just before he was about to enter his trailer, hanging onto the railing and slightly dangling off.

"Thank you so much for everything youve done.  Those puppets wouldve destroyed our planet, lumina.  How could we ever repay you?"  The man asked as everyone was eager and nodded as well.

"Oh dont you worry!"  Red said smiling, "Just dont call me Mister and were even!"  He was about to jump inside when the man stopped him again.

"We shall tell stories of you! Good stories!  That the evil, dark Red is nothing but a nightmare, a fairytale.  We shall tell of the true, valiant Red from now on!"  He yelled as everyone nodded as well.  

Red stopped a moment and took a moment to ponder as he looked over the crowd.  He slowly gave way to a smile as he felt like tearing up to his words, but he simply nodded at them and left into his Rubrum.

He slammed the door shut as he was inside the huge control room of his time machine.  He went to the huge control panel in the center of the room as he pushed  bunch of different buttons and levers... and even ate a month old sandwich that was left on a seat of the control panel.

"Alright then Rubrum!"  He said his mouth full of old bread and whatnot, "Where to next??!!"  Then the machine roared as he fell backwards and laughed.

"Thats right you beauty!  Take me where!"  He said having complete faith in his machine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EARTH, 2000:

"Lee Yeon Hee!"  the old woman scolded at the little girl who simply stood there, her eyes affixed on the dirty ground.

"I dont know how many times ive told you this but i want this floor SQUEAKY CLEAN!  You understand!"  The lady yelled as yeon hee nodded slowly.

"If its not done by the time i come back, More whippings for you!"  THe old lady yelled as she walked off dropping the broom in front of the eleven year old girl.  Lee Yeon hee didnt cry, she was too used to such scoldings and physical whippings.  The tears were already drained from her.

Yeon hee sighed as she picked up the mop and did as she were told.  She lived in a foster home with a horrible lady who always scolded her no matter what she did, right or wrong.  Shes been living there for as long as she could remember.  Though she couldnt remember for the life of her how she had gotten in this foster home.  She doesnt remember a life before this one or any one of her parents.  She cant remember who ever even brought her to this hell hole.  

Yeon hee mechanically mopped the floor as clean as she could get it then finished and went to her room.  Surprisingly today the lady didnt come in and scold/whip her for not cleaning well enough.  Yeon hee was actually able to get some peace and quiet during her sleep... which always lasted only for about 4 to 5 hours.  She always slept early at 8pm and woke up around roughly midnight, intentionally.  She snuck out of her window making sure not to wake the lady who was always in deep sleep, snoring even.  

Yeon Hee carefully maneuvered under the window sill and made it out once again with her thin, agile body.  She went outside to the nearest small park where no one ever seemed to go to.  

Yeon hee sat on an old wooden bench as she looked up at the sky, today there were no stars and the moon wasnt as bright.  Yeon Hee loved the moon, she loved how serene and peaceful it looked.  Yeon Hee felt as if it was her only friend.  There were others in her neighboorhood, other children and older women.

They were nice and polite towards her but they didnt understand the gravity of the situation for that old hag of hers always were twofaced whenever in the presence of others.  

Yeon Hee breathed in the air and let it all out.  Then all of a sudden a gleaming light passed through the sky.

"A shooting star?"  Yeon hee said under her breathe.  This was a wonderous treat.  Yeon Hee automatically closed her eyes tightly as she made her wish:

*I wish... for a new beginning.* and as she said those last words in her mind there was an unusual sound.  It sounded of mechanical whirrings getting louder and louder until she couldve sworn she could hear it right around her.

Then she blinked... and once she opened her eyes she was in a new setting.  Yeon Hee widened her eyes at the spectacular sight.

There was a yellow gleaming light in this room and  strange machine in the center.  Yeon Hee looked around in awe then gasped when she heard a voice.

"ALRIGHT!" a hand came up as it grabbed the railing around the control machine.  Then a young man with blonde hair pulled himself up as he flipped his hair.

"What the heck was THAT for?!"  He yelled at the machine as he gave it a good kick.  But of course karma bit him back.  His toe stubbed against the hard metal of the machine as he held it and yelled in pain.

Yeon Hee widened her eyes at the stranger and this new setting.

"How dare you!"  He yelled at the machine, as if it did wrong in harming him.  He sighed angrily then looked towards the direction of Yeon Hee.  He had to do a double take before he could fully grasp another presence in this room.

He widened his eyes once he did.  Yeon Hee still widening her eyes looked around her as she noticed he was staring at her.

"....Hello...."  He said hesitantly and awkwardly.  He had a confused look on his face as he slowly walked towards the little girl who was frozen on the spot, "And who might you be?"

Yeon Hee couldnt speak as she opened .  Nothing came out at first.  THen she finally found her voice.

"L-Lee Yeon Hee."  She said as she slightly bowed as it was polite to, to someone older than her.

"No need for those silly bows little girl-Lee yeon hee?"  He asked to himself as he looked at her intensely, "Lee yeon hee... Lee yeon hee. Lee yeon hee.  Lee yeon hee!"  He said many times as he kept saying her name louder and louder.

"Y-Yes?"  She asked in her small and quiet voice.

"Lee yeon hee... How did you get in here?"  He asked but answered it on his own, "Are you an alien? No..."  Then he proceeded to press a button on the watch on his wrist and it emitted a red light and he used it to scan her all over.  Then he looked back at the wrist as he looked even more confused.

"... Human."  He said as he looked up at her.  Then he went closer to her and knelt down to her level.  Yeon Hee kept her gaze on him.

"Yeon hee... youre human."  He simply said, confirming it.

Yeon Hee nodded slowly, confused.. If she wasnt human what could she possibly be?

The man then slowly started to giggle then laugh with enthusiasm.  As he finished he smiled at her, "Lee Yeon Hee... The first human i have EVER had contact with... Well what do you know?!  A human child."  He said looking all over her amazed.

"Rubrum youve done it once again. Actually i dont quite know what youve done or why youve done it but i know.  Youve done it."  He said smiling while talking to something or someone that Yeon Hee couldnt quite understand.

"Well then Yeon Hee.  What year is this?  Assuming its earth, and what country?  OOH! and what time?"  He asked a bunch of questions.  Yeon Hee gulped still amazed as she answered them one by one.

"This is the year 2000 and of course its earth, where else could it be?  We're in South Korea and its 12:30am."  Yeon Hee said feeling a bit comfortable with her speech.

"Ahhh i see.. The year 2000.  What wonders."  He said smiling then he went into a straight face, "12:30??  Shouldnt you be asleep?  A young girl like you?  Unless im in your room, which then would be very awkward."  He said in a quick manner.

"Im not young.  Im eleven years old, old enough to be wandering by myself thank you very much. And no youre not in my room, youre in a park near my foster home."  Yeon Hee said feeling more and more comfortable.

The man smiled at her attitude, "Well little miss all grown up.  What are you doing out in the park late at night?"  

Yeon hee didnt answer as she simply wandered her gaze elsewhere.

"I see... Well judging by your expression, your age and the time it is. im guessing you have some grievances in your life right now?"  The man said deducing.

"Mister... Are you a detective?"  Yeon Hee asked surprised.

The man laughed, "No im not.  Im something a little different from that."

"Then what are you?"  Yeon Hee asked.

The man smiled as he went closer to her ear and whispered, "Im a time traveler."

"A time traveler??"  Yeon Hee asked intrigued.  The man nodded still smiling, "My name is Red. Nice to meet you Lee Yeon Hee."  He held out his hand.  Yeon hee was reluctant at first but then slowly put her hands in his as he shook it enthusiastically with an enthusisatic smile.

Yeon Hee slowly smiled back.

"Anyways Yeon Hee. I dont know why im here or how you get in here."  The man stood up as he went back to the machine and pressed a few buttons and levers, "But its quite exciting is it not?"  He asked smiling and winking at her.

Yeon Hee simply stood her ground as she was intrigued by the machine.

"Well come on up here, dont be shy!"  He said urging her to come to the machine.  Yeon Hee hesitantly took a step towards the machine, then started walking up the steps to him.

"Shes a beauty isnt she?"  Red said smiling at the machine, proud.

"Is this your time machine?"  Yeon Hee asked curiously looking up at it as well

"Correct!'  Red said as he circled around the machine pressing more buttons and such.

"Its called the Rubrum!  And shes the best time machine there ever will be!"  He said still proud.

Then he suddenly checked down at his watch as he checked the time: 2:00 am.  HIs watch also beeped as a new message came in, he read it.

"Yowzah!  ITs already this late!  shouldnt you be going back to your foster home?"  He asked.

"I should..."  Yeon hee said, "But i dont want to.."

Red looked down at the solemn girl as he let out a sympathetic smile.  He bent down to her level as he laid a hand on her shoulder, "Now now.. the misery will end soon.  All you have to do is not worry."  

"How?"  She asked.

"Just trust me."  Red smiled, "They dont call me Red for nothing."

Yeon hee smiled softly, "But where are you going?"

"Who said i was going anywhere?"  Red asked bewildered.

"Well you suddenly told me it was time for me to go right when that beeping went off on your watch."  

Red looked at her a good surprised expression, "YOu smart little girl, yes my watch did go off.  I got a messge from someone who needs help, so i must go and help them."

"Cant i go with you?"  Yeon hee asked blurting out.

Red looked at her as he smiled, "You have a life here.  You should stay."  Yeon Hee solemnly looked down.

"NOw dont look so down.  Youll be fine, everything will get better, i promise."  Red said still smiling as Yeon hee said nothing.

"WEll then.. Lee Yeon Hee, it was nice meeting you, let me you out."  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeon Hee walked back with heavy steps to her foster home.  When she left the time machine she was bewildered as she saw it was just a tiny trailer, but soon amazement passed by as she realized she must go back home to that terribly woman.

She sneaked into her bedroom but gasped when she saw the old lady in front of her, angrily crossing her arms.

"Lee yeon hee!  How dare you sneek out this late at night! I ought to whip you for it!"  Lee Yeon hee was startled after everything happened and that old fear that hadnt come to her in years suddenly came back as she heard the words whip and the old lady's cracking loud voice.  

The lady then went to get the stick but then a knock on the door came.  The lady put down the stick as she angrily walked to the door.

"Who is it!-"  She opened the door as she saw a young man with blonde hair smiling at her.  Yeon Hee ran to the door as she widened her eyes, relief came over her once she saw Red.

"Well hello there ma'am.  My name is red!"  He said enthusiastically.

"What are you blubbering about?  Its 2:20 in the morning!"  She said angrily.

He put up a notepad that appeared to be a police badge to the lady but yeon hee simply saw a blank notepad with nothing written on it.

"Yes i am detective red, nice to meet your aquaintance."  Red said as the lady soon regained her composure.

"Why of course detective red... May i ask.. Why you are here at such late a night?"  She asked sweetly.  Yeon Hee watched.

"Actually i would like to talk to ms. Lee Yeon Hee if i may."  He said smiling.

"Why has she done something wrong?  she could be such trouble sometimes-" The lady said but he interrupted her.

"Actually shes done everything right."  Red said smiling.  This silenced the lady as he beckoned Yeon hee to come outside.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"How did you do it mister red?"  Yeon Hee asked once they were outside, by themselves.

"Hmm?"  He asked.

"The notepad.  How did you convince her that it was a badge when it was just a plain notepad?"  Yeon Hee asked curiously.  Red looked at her astonished as he smiled at her.

"You could see that it was blank?"  He asked amazed.  Yeon Hee slowly nodded confused.

"Well then.. arent you a VERY special girl."  Red said smiling even wider.

"Not really.."  Yeon Hee said looking down.. She wasnt used to compliments.

"Well of course you are! Only a few special people can see that his notepad is blank.  You are one of them."  He said smiling as he bent down to her level.

Yeon Hee slowly smiled as she looked at him, "But why are you here?  I thought you said you needed to go."

"Yes well."  Red took out something from his jacket pocket, "I found this in my pocket."  It was a small cartoon moon sticker that was crumpled, old of age, but still well in tact.

He handed it to her as Yeon Hee looked down at it smiling, "Wow.  Thank you mister red."

Red smiled at her, "No problem.  Just dont call me Mister.  Red will do it just fine."

She smiled at him and nodded clutching the sticker tightly.

"You know Yeon hee ive been thinking... After this thing i have to do.... Maybe... i could come back for you and you could come with me to all kinds of different places."  Red asked smiling still, "What do you think?"

Yeon Hee's eyes glistened as she smiled widely and nodded, "Yeah!"

Red smiled even bigger at her happiness, "Good. Good. I'll be back in a jiffy, dont you worry."  He then stood up.

"Will you really come back for me though?"  Yeon hee asked eyes still glistening.

"Yes of course.  I always keep my promises. Like i said.  Dont you worry."  Red said still smiling down at her as he walked off to his trailer.

"Bye red!'  She yelled as she waved still clutching the moon sticker.  Red smiled as he waved back and entered the trailer.  The trailer then whirred and it soon faded away.

Yeon Hee was still smiling as she couldnt contain her excitement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A day passed by and she went to the park again at midnight, this time with her things ready, she backed a small suitcase and was sitting on the bench waiting eagerly for Mr. Red.

Yeon Hee looked to the sky looking for a shooting star.  She waited an hour..  Then two... Then three.... Mr. Red was no where to be found.  

The next day she waited at the same time for three to four hours.  He was nowhere to be found.  Yeon Hee went the third day but still no Mr. Red.  Yeon Hee started to lose hope as she stopped going outside.  Inside she felt angry and sad at Mr. Red for not keeping his promise.  SHe lived her days with the old lady still scolding and beating her.

Mr. Red never showed up again... Or so she thought.