One

Devil’s Ruse

Seon-woon shot awake from his slumber, feeling the empty space beside him. He sighed, balling his hand into a fist. " Even this apartment feels cold without you."

It had been 3 years. 3 years since she died, since all the happiness in his life had been stripped from him in one piece.

Today was the anniversary 

The TV blared as he stood up from his bed. Sunlight begged to enter., but he didn't dare let the light in. He preferred the comfort of his dark apartment. He walked to the coffee table, picking up one of several bottles of alcohol he had strewn out, taking a swig. A familiar face appeared on his small television screen. 

"Bastard."

His old director stood adressing a large group of press, broadcasting from the DMZ

Seon-woong tuned in 

"Today marks the anniversary of Song Hye Kyo. One of the few well respected agents who proudly served within our organization, and unfortunately passed away in the line of duty 3 years ago."

The sound of her name had a crushing blow to his heart. He fell to the couch, continuing to listen. 

" It was a truly devatating event, and I know that her partner, close friends and her family all miss her dearly."

 You didn't know half of it. 

Gritting his teeth, he retreived his beer, chugging  down the rest of the liquid. 

"He has some nerve, not even bothering to ask her own partner to speak to the press."

Slamming the bottle on the table, he rubbed his temples, then leaned back and let his eyes close. He drifted into sleep again, struggling to reconnect with her  within his thoughts. 

Wandering into a familiar setting, he saw sun flicker through the leaves of the trees. A soft breeze hit his face, and he smiled as he felt the earth beneath him. He turned over, finding Hye Kyo beside him.

She's here? 

Her milky white skin glowed in the rays of the sun; flawless, a smile spread across her lips as she slept. He lightly brushed hairs from her face, careful not to wake her. He relaxed, feeling safe , now that he was with her again. 

but, his hands

he looked at his hands, now covered in soot from touching her , and he panicked, realizing the growing scent of burning

"No, no this can't happen." 

Struggling to get away , the scent only became stronger, and  the sleeping Hye Jeong erupted into flame. 

Only then, did her eyes open, and an ear piercing scream esacped . She thrashed, and reached out , pleading for Seon-woong

"help. . me! " 

He backed away quickly as the grass caught fire , and it rapidly spread to the trees. 

It was everywhere, it had spread too fast. There was no where to run. 

"Why didn't you help me!?"

He was stranded in the firetrap,  watching in horror as she burned alive once again. 

The flames ate away at her skin, leaving nothing but a blackened disfigurement

His legs weakened, and fell to the ground, tears streaming down his face

 he could do nothing but let the flames devour him

as he heard the muffled sound of her screams

 

The phone rang as Seon woong woke up in sweat. Panting, he quickly gained his composure,  and rose from the couch to pick up.