I Hated You

I Hated You

 

I first saw him on the bus that day when my mom borrowed my car. She said she needed to get her hair permed because she’s going to Vegas for some baby shower of that friend of hers from high school. I don’t know why mom doesn’t buy her own car though. She says it’s a waste of money when I and dad already have it. 

 

Anyway, I saw him there, in the bus. I hated him. Right there and then because I knew he was the arrogant type, the self-proclaim, self-righteous, self-centered type. Yeah, I knew him like that. He was a bully, a guy who tries to be funny by saying rude things and the guy who always makes complaints in class and just can’t keep his mouth shut because he never runs out of dumb questions to ask. He’s a no no for a boyfriend. Or worse, a friend. I hate him. 

 

The bus stopped in front of the bus stop and I walked a few steps to arrive at our house. It was still kind of early, 6 pm, so I was glad that my dad would arrive a little while later. I never really liked arriving at home with my dad already inside. He would just scold me and tell me unnecessary things such as ‘You don’t belong In this family’ ‘You don’t love your sister’, you know, things like that. I’m used to it anyway.

 

I went inside and found my sister, CL, on the sofa lying , watching tv. “Hey, CL.” I greeted and smiled at her. She looked at me and smiled back then shifted her eyes back at the tv. I searched my way upstairs and went into my room. I changed into my comfortable clothes and went back down to check on CL.

“Go to sleep now, CL. Dad may get home early.” I told her. “You wouldn’t want to hear his angry voice again, would you?” She smiled and nodded before going upstairs.

My sister can’t really talk. She’s mute. It’s a defect since she was born and we accepted her that way. We learned sign language because of her and in fact, it was fun. I couldn’t love my sister more.

I turned off the light in my room and before I knew it, I drifted off to dreamland.

 

The next day went by quickly. I saw him again, bullying the nerdy kid in our class. I hate him. He’s such a jerk acting all cool when clearly he’s not. Maybe I’m wrong but that’s what I see. Well, I don’t care about him. I just really really don’t. Maybe. 

 

I rode on the bus again today because for some reason, mom borrowed my car again. I went in the bus and realized it was crowded. I sighed and stood having no choice left. I realized that the guy behind me sitting was him. Our eyes met and I have to admit, he’s got gorgeous eyes. But I quickly turned around to avoid the contact. I didn’t know why but my heartbeat raced at the thought that I just looked at him in the eyes. This is insane. I am insane.

I heard him sigh though I didn’t look. “Sit.” I heard a deep, husky voice behind me and when I turned around I found him standing.

“What?” I asked.

“I told you to sit. Sit before I change my mind.” He answered in his usual arrogant tone and unkowingly, I still stood there blinking at the confusion. But just because he offered me his seat doesn’t mean I like him already, do I? It doesn’t mean he’s a good guy already, does it? Nah.

 

It’s weekend and I didn’t have somewhere to go since I’m not really the friendly type. Actually, I don’t have friends at school but that’s because I don’t talk too much. I don’t really like hanging out with people. So, every weekends or holidays I just stayed at home and talked to CL. She would usually tell me about that guy she used to like back in middle school and I would just listen and nag her to show him to me so I would know whether I would like him or not. We would tell each other jokes sometimes and would laugh about it even if it’s lame. We only have each other and we’re never gonna lose each other. That’s our promise. 

 

The following days at school I began to observe him and that’s when I began to have a change of thought..and maybe feelings. He’s not really rude, he just wants attention and that’s the only method he knew. He’s not really self-centered and he chooses to be alone because he never really have any friends. He complains a lot in class because I found out he couldn’t really do his homework at home because he would stay ‘til late at night walking on the highway and waits til his parents fall asleep so he wouldn’t bear them fighting. I realized he’s not all bad. He’s lonely…and forlorn. And that broke my heart.

 

 I always found myself searching for him throughout the school whenever he’s not around. It’s just that when he’s not in class, it doesn’t feel..right. 

 

I had to hurry home that night because my dad said he’s introduce us to some of his friends and employees. It’s not like he needs to introduce us but I found out from CL that he got promoted so he’s throwing a simple party at the house. Ugh, I hate those things. 

When I arrived, I quickly went upstairs before anyone could even notice me and changed into a simple purple dress and wore a glass high heel. I went down and greeted CL who looked excited.

The guy I’m telling you about is here. His father works for dad. She told me using sign language and I smiled back. “Really? I’m happy for you. Let’s go meet him, then.” She nodded and we both went to the backyard, and near the pool I saw a familiar back figure. We were walking towards him when I realized that he was talking with my dad. I was still in deep confusion of why the guy I like was here.

That’s him. That’s the guy. CL exclaimed and I felt my chest tighten. My sister is in love with the guy I am in love with. The guy I have unrequited love with. The guy I hated at first.

 

The bell rang and I went out of the classroom. I watched him leave and I still felt the ache when my sister happily told me that she loves the same guy I secretly love.

I quietly walked towards the gate when I noticed CL talking to him. Why is CL here? And why are they talking? I suddenly found myself holding back the tears when I saw how happy CL was talknig to him. He smiled a little too but it meant the world to me.

“I like you.” CL said out loud. The tears in my eyes went back in and my mouth slightly opened because of the shock of what just happened. His eyes widend as well, probably shocked too.

“Did you just..did you just..talk?” He asked her in his deep voice. She nodded and smiled tearfully. And I too, let go of the tears I’ve been holding. CL talked. CL can now talk. Thanks to him. The guy me and my sister both love.

 

The fact that I fell inlove with him would probably remain a mystery forever. Maybe I was right. Maybe I was wrong. To have fallen for him. 


 

WORD COUNT: 1,294