02 - A Sword

Murderous Intentions

 

Tao was focused. No one can ever measure the amount of focus he has. He probably had the focus of a lion stalking it’s prey, but no. His focus was more than that.

He needed to get the right height. Tao made sure he was putting only 30kg of his weight onto his right foot and with that, he jumped sideways into the air. He felt like he was flying, like as if he was denying science and was rubbing it in God’s face. Look how high I can jump, he seemed to say. Tao then in one quick motion, unsheathed his sword and sliced it in a straight line in front of him. The metal cut through the tough skin of the hanging animal and half of it fell to the ground. The animal’s blood curling cry made some of the watchers cringe, but they soon got over it when the animal died down. Tao counted the second and watched the ground as he landed. He had to make he had to land right to prevent the shock. The moment he landed, he swiftly pulled himself into a ball and rolled. Then he got up and stood still, waiting for the reaction of his peers.

“Well done, Tao. Like always.” An hoarse voice called out. There were a few claps from Tao’s juniors. “Watch well, kids. This is a demonstration from a professional.” Tao smirked.

“Thanks, Master.”

“You’ve got one week, Zitao. No mercy.” The old man said and quickly exited the execution room. Tao just stood there as everyone left. He felt cold. He felt empty. He wanted Kris. Not dead, but he wanted Kris.

 

“Hey Kris.” Tao said over the phone. Kris must’ve just woken up because Kris’ voice was very hoarse.

“Ah…Tao?” he asked.

“Yeah, sorry. Did I wake you up?” Tao asked.

“Mm, but it’s okay.” Kris assured. “Why’d you call?”

“I just needed someone to talk to.”

“Are you a girl or something?”

“Don’t make me wish I was.”

“Sorry. What’s up?”

“I’m having…family problems and I just need to get away from it right now.” Tao said. He felt uncomfortable. Was it right to call them his family? He had no family. Just a bunch of really close associates. Maybe Tao just wanted someone to call family.

“How’s Koto?” Kris asked. Tao looked down from his bed and saw the sleeping husky.

“Sleeping. He’s living the luxury life, from what I see.” Tao frowned and then softly patted the dog.

“How about you come out and we’ll take Koto for a walk?” Kris asked.

Please no. I might kill you.

“Um…” Tao bit his lip and looked at the clock. 11:43pm. “Sure, why not?”

 

“Sorry, did I make you wait?” Tao asked as he approached his tall best friend at the park. Koto was on a leash, yet jumping around like as if he was free.

“Would you like me to hold him?” Kris asked Tao and Tao handed over the leash. “Where do you want to go?”

“Nowhere.” Tao breathed and watched as he breath turned into an almost transparent white cloud and then disappear.

“It’s cold, we should try move around.” Kris frowned. Kris liked to moved a lot, Tao figured out.

“You can. I will stay here. Go run around with Koto.” Tao said and shooed the two away. Kris uncomfortably got up and unhooked Koto from his leash. Koto ran around everywhere and Kris laughed as he tried to chase after the dog.

You look really nice, Kris, but I wish you didn’t.

“Come on, Tao!” Kris said. “Take off your bag and come run!”

Tao grabbed his bag protectively and shook his head. In his bag was his sword. He would never leave it, he made an oath. Instead, Tao just slung it over his shoulder and walked over to join Kris.

“Where’s Koto?” Tao asked eventually. Kris shook his head and Tao looked around. “Koto!”

“Koto!” Kris shouted. There was a bark somewhere in the distance and Tao and Kris made a break for it. There, they found Koto near a cliff. Tao sighed in relief and rushed to grab his dog. He then hooked him to his leash and hugged him.

“Never run that far away again, okay?” Tao patted Koto and smiled.

“The view isn’t bad here.” Kris said. Tao looked up and smiled a bit. The cliff had a small view of the sea. Really nice, in Tao’s perspective. “I wonder what’s underneath us…”

Kris went over to the edge to look down.

This is it, Tao. Just push him. Go! Do it!

I…I can’t.

God damn it, Tao! Just do it now!

The sound of rocks moving away brought Tao to his sense. He saw the ground underneath Kris crack and shake and Kris looked back and his eyes widened. Kris scrambled up to his feet to try run, but the ground suddenly burst underneath him a bit and Kris fell again. Tao covered his eyes and cried a bit.

Don’t you dare go there and help him.

Don’t.

Kris.

“Tao!” Kris’ voice shouted over Tao’s thoughts and Tao looked up in fear. For one moment, Kris was there. The next, he was falling through the ground. Tao was going to rush in and save him when someone else bet him to it.

Koto.

Koto had managed to rush in and grab Kris by his shirt.

“Koto…” Kris whispered as he held onto the edge of the cliff. Koto bent down and started dragging Kris onto the ground again. Tao watched with a warm heart as his dog saved his best friend. Tao then rushed in and helped his dog in pulling Kris up. After a minute of pulling and grunting, the duo managed to pull Kris up. Kris lay on the ground, breathing heavily. Then he turned to his side and pulled Koto into a warm and relieved hug.

“Thank you, Koto.” Tao whispered to the dog and kissed him on the head.

“Yes, thanks for saving my life, Koto.” Kris whispered and looked into Tao’s guilty eyes. “Why…?”

“I don’t know…” Tao whispered and quickly looked away. Then he looked into Koto’s eyes and smiled. “Good dog.”

Bad dog.

 

“I should go home now.” Kris said finally once they arrived back at Tao’s house. Tao nodded.

“Thanks for coming out.” Tao whispered and hugged his friend. Then Tao looked at Kris’ arm and saw something poking out from the neckline. It looked like a tattoo. Tao secretly pulled the shirt down a bit, but still, he couldn’t make out what the tattoo was. Then as Kris pulled Tao into a tighter hug, Tao felt something hard poke against his hip. No. Not a , all you erted readers. It was an actual object. Tao was thinking about reaching down there to find out what it was, but then realized where he’d be reaching and blushed, before ignoring it. Then they both pulled away and put on forced smiles.

“See you then.” Kris whispered and then walked off down the path. Tao walked a few paces up his driveway and then turned back. He sure was shocked when he did. Because when he did…

 

 

Kris had disappeared completely.    

____________________________________________________

Thank you for all my subscribers! I didn't expect this many!