Stranger

Stranger

Sooyoung used to be afraid of heights… but today, it was going to be the one to take all her pain and fears away.

                The cement she stood on felt cold and sturdy beneath her bare feet. The wind blew her long, lifeless chocolate brown hair away from her face, sending the countless strands in different directions. She wanted a way out of all her problems – one that was quick and painless. She had been through so much lately and there was no more she could take. She knew it was the cowardly way out but it was the easiest too and that was what she was after.

                She risked a glance down to the hard ground that was going to catch her, watching as nameless faces gathered together, looking up at her in what she assumed to be horror. They should just go home unless they want to bring the memory of someone’s suicide with them for the rest of their lives. Her phone was ringing mercilessly the pocket of her jeans. She wondered if Jessica, Taeyeon, Siwon, Amber, Key or any of her others friends would give up anytime soon. They should… for it was too late now.

                in a sharp breath, Sooyoung closed her eyes, relishing the last few seconds of her life. She thought of all the people, all the things, all the pain, all the memories she was going to leave behind. She thought about everything that could have been, everything that she could have been. Her white flag was raised and she was ready to say goodbye. Sooyoung let a foot dangle ahead of her, preparing herself for that feeling that came with falling.

And she fell.

                Her eyes snapped open the moment she realized that she wasn’t falling forward but instead, she fell back. Panic rose in her and she let out a scream. It was only then she felt the pair of arms around her waist, the soft yet firm body that caught her before she could crash down to the floor of the rooftop of the building. The emotional and physical fatigue and stress took over and her world suddenly faded to black but not before a feeling of security washed over for the first time in a very long time.

o-o-o-o-o

“Good, you’re awake.”

                Sooyoung blinked the sleepiness away as she tried to sit up, only to realize a bunch of tubes connected her to different machines. Her vision blurred once more and she sank back against the pillow. She had established the fact that she was in the hospital but there wasn’t much she remembered about her failed suicide attempt. Slowly this time around, she looked around her room, finding a tall, lanky, curly haired man seated on the chair nearest the door.

“Who are you?”

“My name’s Kyuhyun.” He answered. “Cho Kyuhyun.”

The brunette stared at him for a moment before looking away. “You shouldn’t have saved me.”

“Why not?” An eyebrow rose. “Suicide won’t solve any of your problems. You know that.”

“You make it sound so easy to live.” She answered harshly. “You don’t know anything.”

“You’re right. I don’t know anything about you or what you’re going through.” Kyuhyun shifted his position. “But I do know what it’s like to lose all hope left.”

“You shouldn’t have saved me.” She repeated stubbornly, finally turning her head to look at him again.

A sigh escaped his lips. “Problems are temporary. Problems are meant to be solved. You can’t just give up your future just because you couldn’t find the right solution.”

“For someone who knows nothing about me, you sure have so much to say.” Sooyoung snapped; the exhaustion taking its toll on her body.

“Let’s just say I know what you’re going through.”

“What?”

Kyuhyun merely shook his head. “Why don’t you take another nap first? Maybe when you wake up and remember what I just said, it’ll be different.”

                As tempted as she was to kick out the one person who saved her life, she merely grunted in reply as she readjusted her position on the hospital bed and fell back asleep as soon as she was comfortable. Kyuhyun silently watched the rise and fall of her chest, debating inwardly before he finally stood up and approached her. Now that he had a good luck of her calm and peaceful face, Kyuhyun could honestly say that she was beautiful – gorgeous even. Though she had remained stubborn earlier, he knew that once she got well-rested and all, she would know that he was right. Hopefully, that would enough to help her keep living.

Convinced that she was going to be fine somehow, he took one last glance at her sleeping form before he quietly left the room.

o-o-o-o-o

It was an hour and a half later when Sooyoung began to stir; her eyes slowly fluttering open. “Kyuhyun?”

“Sooyoung!” Jessica soon appeared in her line of vision with tears of relief streaming down her face. “You ! Do not ever, ever do that to me again, understand? Never ever make me go through that or I’ll kick your all the way to hell.”

She held back a chuckle and instead, she shot her best friend the sincerest look of apology she could muster. “I’m sorry, Sica.”

“Do you need water? Food? Anything?” Siwon asked as he joined Jessica by the side of Sooyoung’s bed, making a face soon after. “And I’m with her there, Soo. Do this ever again and I’ll never forgive you.”

Sooyoung winced. “I promise I’ll never do this again.”

That seemed to pacify him somehow as he moved to leave. “I’ll go call the doctor.”

“Unnie, how are you feeling?” Amber made her presence felt; the youngest of the women in the room seated on the other side of the room with Taeyeon and Key.

“Like I’ve been thrown to the floor.” She muttered, straightening up when she realized what she said. Looking at her friends with wide, questioning eyes, she asked. “Where’s Kyuhyun?”

“Kyuhyun?” Key repeated. “Who’s that?”

“He’s the guy who saved me.” Sooyoung glanced at the seat by the door. “Have you seen him?”

Taeyeon and Jessica exchanged a look; the former opting to be the one to reply. “Soo, we were the one who found you on the floor unconscious when we saw you in the news. There was no one in the rooftop… just you.”

“What’s going on here?” Siwon asked as he entered the room with the doctor behind. “By the way, Soo, this is Doctor Kim Heechul. He was the one that attended to you when we rushed you here.”

“Doctor, did you see the guy who saved me?” Sooyoung turned her questioning eyes to the new arrival.

Heechul shook his head. “When I did my rounds when you were asleep, you were alone here, Sooyoung-ssi.”

“But he really was here. I spoke to him when I first woke up and none of you were here.” Sooyoung frowned. “I didn’t even get to say thank you to Kyuhyun.”

His eyes widened but soon composed himself before anyone could notice. “What’s his name?”

“Kyuhyun… Cho Kyuhyun.”

“Doctor, what is it?” Key asked when the older man had remained silent. “Do you know him?”

Heechul hastily shook his head, offering a smile to Sooyoung as he spoke. “I’ll speak to the nurses if they have his visitor’s information. I’ll make sure to pass along your message to him.”

Sooyoung smiled back. “Thanks.”

o-o-o-o-o

                With his shift finally over for the afternoon, Heechul found himself standing on a rooftop. The wind welcomed the company it seemed as it blew comfortingly around him. The sun was setting, signalling the end of day and the beginning of night. It had been a while since he last went there but the day’s events had led him to visit the place that would always be painful for him to be in. But he was going to brave the pain today and stand on the rooftop – the same rooftop where Choi Sooyoung threatened to take her life that day.

“Kyuhyun… You saved her life.” He whispered to the wind, staring ahead of him. “She said thank you, by the way. Whatever it is you did or said helped her.”

Heechul expelled a sharp breath; his eyes falling on the setting sun ahead. “I don’t know how that’s possible but wherever you are, I’m proud of you, kid.”

He left it at that, turning to leave the place where Cho Kyuhyun threatened and succeeded in taking his life one year ago.

As the door closed, Kyuhyun pushed away from the wall he had been leaning on. A smile graced his face as he stared at the open sky, the last thing he saw before he said goodbye to life. “Thanks, hyung.”

Then, he joined the light of the setting sun.