Mary Sue

Wake Up Call

 

 

▨ Meaning 

  • Mary Sue,  in literarycriticism and particularly in fan fiction, is a fictional character with overly idealized and hackneyed mannerisms, lacking noteworthy flaws, and primarily functioning as a wish-fulfillment fantasy for the author or reader. It is generally accepted as a character whose positive aspects overwhelm their other traits until they become one-dimensional. While the label "Mary Sue" itself originates from a parody of this type of character, most characters labelled "Mary Sues" by readers are not intended by authors as such. Male Mary Sues are often dubbed "Gary Stu", "Larry Stu", "Marty Stu", or similar names. -wiki

 

 

 

▨ How to Avoid Making Mary Sue 

- wikihow

  • Know your material. Try not to go on hearsay, or what you've seen in two or three episodes. If you can't watch the whole season or read the entire series, that's what the Internet is for. Research your fandom.
  • Avoid making your character related to a canon character. While some canon characters have vague pasts that can be manipulated, a frequent and recognized (although not compulsory) trait of a Mary Sue is to be related in some way to a canon, especially one who has a strongly established past already. Your readers may find it hard to believe that the canon character has a sister he never mentioned or a son she doesn't remember.
  • Give your new character some real flaws. Ones like impatience, obsession with looks and trouble making friends are examples of flaws within the character. They should be flaws that have real consequences for the character in his or her life and advance the story forward.
  • Make your character part of the ensemble cast, maybe even a very small part. Your original character should not constantly be the center of the universe. Let the other characters have moments away from your new character where they don't talk or think about the new character.
  • Let the canon characters share the spotlight with your character. Remember why they're there. Your readers want to read about the canon characters, that's why you're writing a fan-fiction.
  • Give different characters different reactions to your original character. Look at the original work you're drawing from. Do all of the protagonists always agree or act the same way? Of course not. Take the canon characters personalities into account and craft believable reactions to and relationships with your newcomer.
  • Make things hard for your new character. One of the most annoying things about Mary Sues is how easily everything comes to them: fighting skills, special talents, strong relationships, special powers that appear just in time to save the day, etc. If your character has to struggle and deal with real problems your readers will start to feel for her. If she does everything perfectly with no real adversity, they'll start to hate her.
  • Avoid letting your new character be the sole contributor to solving one of the major unresolved conflicts of the original fiction. Give the glory to an established character or make it a real team effort.
  • Tread carefully around romance. Mary Sues are constantly winning the love of a character the author really likes or fixing up two previously unattached characters the author thinks should be together. Romance is possible in fan-fiction, but gives it time to make it more realistic.
  • Take your time. One of the biggest flaws of Mary Sue stories is that things happen far too quickly. It will probably take a while for your new character to become really close to the canon characters, or be in a position to accomplish lots of amazing things. Go slowly. You can always write a sequel.
  • Avoid making the character gaining similar traits as you. If you do so, you might as well start a diary as everyone has a different personality and should have to freedom to choose what THEY want to do, so do not base their decisions on your personal opinions, beliefs etc. This makes the story far more interesting.

 

 

 

 

▨ Fanfiction Writing Tips: 5 Ways to Avoid the Dreaded “Mary Sue” 

post by Laura Glenmore from mokisfanfictionblog

She’s exotically beautiful, talented, skilled and destined for greatness. Introducing the Mary Sue (or Gary Stu for male characters). She/he is, all in all, one step short of perfect. Or might already be.

Perhaps the most outstanding quality in a Mary Sue is her lack of flaws. Authors highlight their importance in the story by giving them as many positive attributes as possible. Other characters become overwhelmed by their beauty, wit and power. No one can really beat or compare to them.

Sound familiar? Perfect heroines have been in fanfiction since the beginning of time. If you’re starting to think that your OC might be one, don’t worry just yet. Not every character with a remarkable amount of great traits is necessarily a Mary Sue (MS). Writers can avoid this label by creating a believable back story that explains the positive traits.

However, if the trait appears out of thin air without any natural development, you’re looking at a MS. The attribute is given just to make the OC stand out. It lacks any personal growth and there’s no real justification as to why they’re like that.

Mary Sues are normally an idealized version of the author. So it’s up to you to make your characters as believable as possible. Here are a few useful tips to help you achieve it:

  • Research!

You must research and study your chosen fandom in order to create a character that could realistically exist within it. For example, if you’re writing a Harry Potter fanfic, don’t make your character part cyborg. It just doesn’t work that way.

  • Know the limits of your fandom and try to blend in with it

Your character should be able to easily coexist with other canon ones from your chosen world. This means further research of the fandom and basing your OC on other characters’ abilities and limitations.

  • Give her a believable back story

Very few fanfictions have characters that were abandoned, forced into slavery and set on fire all at once. Make a character profile before writing anything else. You need this in order to establish a realistic back story.

If your OC has a tragic past, make it just one major event. If you want to create more angst, describe other tragedies as a natural consequence of the major one.

  • Make her compatible with other characters

Other characters will be more compatible with yours if they have a common past they can relate to. When it comes to befriending canon characters, your OC should have a similar personality or traits to make the friendship believable.

When you’re aiming for a romantic interest, the same rules apply. Research the character to discover what they’re like and what traits they appreciate in a person.

  • Be creative

Writing gives us the chance to use our imagination’s full potential. Don’t base your character solely on yourself. Draw inspiration from the fandom, friends, role models and other places to make a truly unique, believable and engaging character.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This chapter was not made for you to feel bad.
This was made for you to improve.

 

 

 

Special quote:

 

"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."

- Maya Angelou

 

credit: goodreads