It Can't Go Cold

It Can't Go Cold [Oneshot]

 

As she entered the cafe, the fresh scent of bitter coffee exuded from the steaming coffee makers and filled her entire being with a soothing aroma. She had been feeling tense since four in the morning; being rushed from place to place to fulfill her busy schedules. She had not a single moment to rest until now. Making her way to a table in the far back corner, she took a seat and lowered her baseball cap; afraid to be recognized by anyone in her presence. Eventually a waiter approached her out of nowhere, startling her, causing her to pull the tip of her cap down even lower with her slim fingers.

“Welcome to Bishounen Cafe,” he greeted with a smile that she couldn't see. His voice was deep but gentle, causing a shiver to run down her spine. She covered her right cheek with her right arm, she could feel herself burning red.

He cocked his head in a confused manner, a grin slowly making its way to his lips due to her cuteness, he found it exceptionally adorable. “I'm Yesung, I'll be serving you today,” he continued, bending over in a half bow attempting to catch a glimpse of her face, “and this is our menu, would you like a few minutes?” She simply nodded gently as she took the booklet from him. He took one last glance at her before retreating back into the shadows, probably serving another customer somewhere in the cafe.

She finally relaxed, letting out a sigh of relief as she lowered her guard and opened the first page to the menu, running her pointer finger down the list of drinks and appetizers.

“You're joking, right?”

The familiar voice startled her and out of instinct she pulled her baseball cap over her pale cheeks. The person sitting across from her crossed her arms and laughed heartily, enjoying the rare moment of seeing her best friend freaked out over nothing.

“Geunyoung, you're sitting in a cafe swarming with hot single men, and you're hiding your oh-so-beautiful face? That's ridiculous,” she teased, trying to catch her breath. Geunyoung lifted her chin, revealing her large rounded eyes, a tall bridge of a nose and perky pink lips. She barely had any make-up on, which was definitely for the better.

Geunyoung hid her face behind the menu feeling completely embarrassed, “shh! Don't say my name so loudly, someone will hear you.” Dropping the menu, she quickly glanced around the cafe. It really was flocked with extremely handsome looking men, making her curious as to which one of them served her just moments ago.

“Celebrities need some loving too,” her friend shrugged.

Geunyoung sighed, “Vivian, you know it's not like that.”

Vivian's priority role in life was being Geunyoung's assistant, but her secondary role was being Geunyoung's childhood friend and adviser. When Geunyoung finally focused her attention on the menu, with her fingers resting on her lips and furrowed brows, Vivian took the chance to hastily reach over and snatch her cap away.

“Vivian!” Geunyoung shouted, fixing her long wavy hair with a frown. She brushed her bangs to one side, blushing immensely. “Aish,” she scowled, “give me my hat back!” Vivian shook her head while twirling the hat in her left hand.

“Are you ready to order?”

It was the same gentle and husky voice as before. She felt an urge to lift her eyes and scan his face. What type of face could such a lovely voice possess? But she somehow managed to hold it back, remembering that she had a face to hide.

“I don't know if she's ready but I am,” Vivian replied. “I'll take a Caramel Macchiato, two extra shots and top it with a cherry, please.” Yesung nodded with a smile,

“And you, Miss?” When Geunyoung tilted her head to the side to let her long hair fall over her cheeks, Yesung took a couple steps in the opposite direction, yet again trying to catch a glimpse of her looks. The more she tried to hide, the more curious he became, but he had to remain his calm and stay polite to the customer. Customers are always right after all.

“I'll take a White Chocolate Mocha with six shots, oh, no whip cream please,” she quietly mumbled.

He took the order but glanced at her when he realized she actually said six shots, “that's awfully bitter for such a sweet girl like you.” Nearly panicking, Geunyoung shot her eyes at Vivian who was leaning back in her chair comfortably, looking away as soon as their eyes met.

“I need the caffeine,” Geunyoung finally mumbled in reply. Yesung took her word for it and headed behind the counter, handing the orders over to the bartender. They spoke to themselves for a while, randomly throwing glances towards Geunyoung and Vivian's table.

“He's terribly attractive,” Vivian whispered to Geunyoung, “he's got a y voice, too.”

Geunyoung met eyes with Vivian, obviously interested. “Really? What's he look like?” Vivian lifted a brow in questioning, brushing her hair behind her ears. Her face was covered in make-up, she was dressed very nicely from head to toe with a great sense of fashion. “Well?”

“Well, why don't you look for yourself?” Vivian asked. Geunyoung didn't answer and spent the rest of their visit hurriedly trying to finish her coffee and to retrieve her hat.

-

Bishounen Cafe was truly a spectacular place for Geunyoung to relieve her stress and worries. The customers here were all girls who paid no attention to anyone but the good-looking waiters and the waiters didn't seem to probe too much into their customers privacy. She would occasionally return to the cafe whenever she had free time and as time passed, she found herself returning more often than before. Coincidentally, or so she thought, Yesung would always be the one to serve her. Unless he wasn't working, of course.

“Welcome to Bishounen Cafe,” Yesung greeted with his best work smile, “it's been several months since you've become a regular, but I've not once been able to see what you look like. You have some kind of phobia?” Geunyoung shook her head. Chuckling, Yesung proceeded to take her order. This was their usual interaction. “White Chocolate Mocha, six shots, and no whip cream?” She nodded.

He decided today would be the day they got to know each other once and for all. He was tired of waiting patiently for her to finally open up to him, it would be endless waiting and he assumed that she hadn't taken a single look at him, which annoyed him. His good looks weren't for neglecting, or at least all the other female customers told him so.

“There has to be a reason you won't let me see what you look like,” Yesung prompted, taking a seat across from her as he set her cup of coffee before her. She lowered her eyes to the ground, tilting her head so that the top of her baseball cap faced Yesung. He could feel the anger building within him.

“It's because... it's because...” she tried to explain but her mind was a blank. What kind of excuse should she use?

“Because of what?” He asked, his husky voice filled with caution. He didn't want to push her too much in fear of scaring her away.

She hesitated for a five-count before answering, “it's because I'm ugly,” she said weakly. Yesung giggled lightly. She could see him lifting his right arm to his face out of the corner of her eyes. Only now did she realize he had strong arms, along with a well-built figure.

“I seriously doubt that,” he replied, “you have a nice voice. I can swear that I've heard it somewhere before, well, aside from here, of course.” He knew. He noticed it the third of fourth time she came around. It was hard not to notice when she stood out so much in the crowd of customers that came to visit him daily.

She was Moon Geunyoung; the “Nations Younger Sister,” the young girl who won Best Actress on various television stations. The stunningly beautiful twenty-three year old girl who blew Yesung's mind and made his heart race every time she entered his view, on screen and in person. But she knew nothing. She was so oblivious to it all. But it made things more fun that way.

“You watch dramas or television series?” He asked casually, perching an arm on the table and resting his chin in his palm. He tilted his head to try and catch her eyes, but she kept her gaze glued to the ground.

“No... not really,” she replied nervously, “don't you have work to do?”

He shrugged, “I am working. It's my job to serve you and keep you company.”

She laughed silently to herself; he had a really cute personality and an amazingly soothing voice. She felt as if she could continue to just sit and listen to him speak to her all day long, it surely took her mind off of her work. They continued to chat for a while and Geunyoung unconsciously started to lower her guard against him. Her body language told him that she was finally comfortable with him. She slanted back into the chair, her hands were no longer awkwardly fumbling in her lap, and she no longer made sure to keep her head facing the ground.

Perhaps he won't recognize me she thought to herself, but what were the chances? Everyone knew her.

He gave up. He could no longer try to lure her out of her shell, it was basically impossible. “You're never this quiet on television.”

She froze in her seat. How did he know? She finally lifted her chin to search for his eyes. It was the first time she looked directly at him. She had peeked and stole several looks of his face, but never had she locked eyes with him like she did now. The shape of his face was like that of a seed; he had a sharp chin where the ends of his raven black hair lingered, his single lidded eyes were lined with dark lashes, the pupils were dark as well and all of it together made him look mysteriously alluring. The smirk on his cherry lips provoked her, but they looked so damned inviting.

“You knew all along?” She asked, brushing the bangs out of her eyes. She figured if she couldn't hide her identity, she might as well use her on screen personality to deal with him. Deep inside she was afraid, but she refused to show it.

He shook his head, “not since the beginning, but I've known for long enough. You're not too good at hiding it.” She blushed lightly and started playing with her fingers in her lap. He stared straight into her glimmering eyes. He could almost hear his own heartbeat.

“Ah,” she sighed before smiling brightly, “I guess the only thing I'm good at is acting.” Her signature smile; the smile that killed her audience with her cuteness. He didn't like it.

He stood up from his seat and excused himself, his expression displayed his dissatisfaction with her very prominently. “Something go wrong?” The bartender asked him as he made his way past the bar to enter the kitchen. He didn't hear the question as he angrily barged into the kitchen.

She sighed, depraved of all energy. She was tired, so very tired or having to always keep a wall up against everyone around her and strangely, having to hide herself from Yesung made her all the more fatigued. Her mind was plagued with thoughts of him; how he left her with such an antagonized expression, his cold exterior that countered his playful personality, those eyes that captured her only minutes before she was left sitting all alone.

She crossed her legs and shut her eyes tightly in thought. Should she try to speak to him again? Massaging her temple with her fingers, she could feel her headache getting worse by the second. He was like coffee to her; bitter the first few sips but the addiction accumulated. Eventually, she didn't even notice when she couldn't last longer than two weeks without visiting the shop and hearing his subtly hoarse voice. Even if it was the usual 'Welcome to Bishounen Cafe' and 'Are you ready to order?', it was enough to make her hectic day an enjoyable one.

“I told you to show your face the first time we came here.” Geunyoung opened her eyes slowly to the mocking voice.

“I really hate it when you throw the 'I told you so' phrases at me, Vivian,” Geunyoung scowled. Vivian took a seat beside her and poked her pulsing head.

“But I really did tell you so,” she shrugged, “it's too bad, he was a cute one. But... you really didn't... wow... ugh, never-mind.”

Geunyoung sat up in her chair, “what?” Vivian shook her head, refusing to say a word more. Frustrated, Geunyoung took a sip out of the already cold coffee and spat it back into the cup. It was too bitter for her taste.

“Love is like your cup of coffee,” Vivian pointed out. “You can burn yourself when it's freshly brewed, it tastes best when it's warm but it goes terribly bitter when it's cold.” Geunyoung stared into her cup of coffee bewildered, no matter what state the cup of coffee was in it was always the same brown color. “The coffee itself never changes, it's the temperature that changes it. You're the temperature, Geunyoung. You have to learn to control it right or else you'll ruin everything for the cup of coffee and the person that drinks out of it.”

“Very philosophical,” Geunyoung said exasperatedly, “it can't be entirely my fault though... can it?” Vivian shrugged. “I really hate it when you do this to me,” Geunyoung sighed, “I get it, I'll fix it... or at least I'll try to.”

~A Week Later~

A press conference was held in Bishounen Cafe. Many reporters were present hours before the conference itself had begun. As the actors started filing in and fans started to fill the cafe, the waiters gathered around to watch the interview.

“Moon Geunyoung-sshi, your latest television series was a big hit, what do you feel about your accomplishments during the shooting?” She smiled politely at the reporters. Microphones were all pointing in her direction. Ever since she won Best Actress from her role in Painter of the Wind, she was always the focus of attention every where she appeared. Annoying.

“It's only because the entire cast and crew got along so well that we were able to accomplish so much. We all worked very hard for this series; all of our actors are great, and the director was very considerate and patient,” she calmly commented, “I'm very honored to be able to participate in this series.” The reporters all praised her for her modest attitude despite her fame and status. She was a star amongst stars.

“The theme song for this series also shot to fame, it topped all the music charts as soon as it was released. How do you feel about this song?” Geungyoung was at a loss of words. She had been so busy with schedules and finding time for the Bishounen Cafe that she didn't even have time to view her own series. She didn't know about the song. Her co-star realized her stiffening beside him and answered for her,

“It Has To Be You is truly one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. I have to listen to it everyday. I even have it up on my cyworld,” he replied with a look of admiration, “Yesung-sshi really has a fantastic voice.”

Geunyoung's eyes widened at the name her co-star uttered. Had she heard him wrong? She turned to the reporters who nodded in agreement with him. Yesung? Could it be the Yesung that she knew, or at least thought she did?

The doors to the cafe slid open as Yesung slowly entered. He dressed entirely in black, a nicely fitting suit that glittered in the light of the room. His entire existence was glowing; from his dark eyes to the charismatic smile he showered everyone with. Charming. Even his co-workers were dumbfounded at his mesmerizing looks.

“A surprise guest appearance! Let us welcome Kim Yesung-sshi,” the MC of the event announced. Everyone stood up from their seats and clapped as he approached them. He stopped before Geunyoung, who couldn't find the energy to stand; her legs felt weak and her jaw dropped in astonishment. Everyone stared at them, what were these sparks that they could see between them?

Yesung bowed, “nice to meet you, Moon Geunyoung-sshi,” he greeted, it was the same voice he used when he greeted her at the cafe. She nodded and shook his hand. He slowly made his way down the row of actors, “I'm very honored to be here today.”

Yesung actively participated in most of the conference but sat back when the spotlight was focused on the actual cast of the movie.

“Yesung-sshi, you've mentioned many times that Moon Geunyoung-sshi is your ideal type as a girlfriend. Have you ever tried confessing?” A female reporter asked, a hint of jealousy in her tone of voice. He smiled modestly, not losing his cool.

“Never,” he replied, “I've never had the chance to meet her in person. She's a busy individual, with all her movies and commercials. She's in high demand.”

“So, this is the first time seeing her in person?” The reporter probed again. Yesung nodded smoothly, his semi-curly hair bouncing on his forehead.

Geunyoung blushed bright red at the previous comments. She's never heard of such matters before. She actually had admirers? “She's a wonderful actress; her eyes speak more than any words can describe. I'm not trying to be cheesy, it's true,” he added. “It's only a plus that she's absolutely dazzling as well.” He was blushing as he made the compliments, but he made sure to look her in the eyes so that she heard every word.

The reporters were very satisfied with the results they received during the press conference, there was nothing more they could ask for. Geunyoung waited for Yesung in her usual corner. She dismissed her manager as soon as the conference ended. As soon as Yesung appeared with his usual waiters outfit on, she straightened herself out in preparation.

“You looked so handsome,” one of the customers complimented, “I can't believe this cafe has celebrities as waiters!”

His co-worker stepped up to him, a smirk on his face, “that was awesome, I knew you'd do well!”

“Yesung-sshi,” she whispered to him, pulling his arm and dragging him to her little corner. He swung around surprised, holding a hand over his heart as they came to a stop.

“You startled me,” Yesung laughed, “but I should have seen it coming with the way you were eye-ing me and all. Do you need something?” Geunyoung nodded before she let out a long, nervous, sigh. She kept her hold on his arm, her hands were shaking. “Something wrong? I've got to start work soon.”

“Why do you work at the cafe?” She asked, “Your singing career seems successful.” He shrugged and and turned to head towards the entrance of the cafe, preparing to greet customers.

~Flashback~

“If you want her to be sincere with you, she has to open up to you herself,” the bartender warned one busy afternoon, “unless she decides that you're actually important to her, you'll never be able to fully have her to yourself.”

Yesung scratched the back of his head and gripped the back of his neck sighing, “I guess so.”

“She has no idea who you are, does she?” The bartender asked. Yesung shook his head, a little depressed. “Sad,” the bartender awkwardly laughed, “it's a pity.”

“How should I do it?” Yesung asked, realizing it came out a little weird.

“Let her go,” the bartender answered simply, “make her confront her feelings, force her to face what you've been trying to draw out for her.”

Yesung rose a brow, the other eye sharpening, “so... basically ignore her?”

“You could put it that way.”

He didn't know if he could do that. He's had her on his mind for so long, could he really refrain from speaking to her when she was so close in reach? He sighed heavily; his arms hung lazily over his cut out torso and he slouched in the stool that he sat on at the opposite side of the bar counter.

“It's the only way, trust me. I've got experience,” the bartender added, full of confidence. Yesung decided to take his word for it. It wasn't as if he had any better ideas, anyways.


~End Flashback~

“Yesung-sshi!” Geunyoung whispered, aware of the people around them, “I need to talk to you.” Even though she was already dressed in casual outfitting; her usual dark clothing and baseball cap, she was still afraid of being recognized. But Yesung didn't turn back, he was afraid that he wouldn't be able to hide the childish smile protruding his lips. “I've been thinking this past week,” she nervously explained, “the past few months I've known you, I've been hiding a lot from you. Even though you knew about everything, I still refused to open up.”

Yesung gathered his thoughts and turned to face her, holding his arms on either side of his waist, “uh-huh.”

She took in a deep breath, “were you serious?” Yesung cocked his head in confusion. “Earlier, during the press conference, were you serious?” Yesung used up all the energy in his body to stay composed. He could feel the edges of his lips being tickled as she looked up to him with those large rounded eyes that were beginning to become a little teary from her anxiety. He shrugged.

“Well, even if you weren't I want to tell you that... I was really happy to hear it,” she let go of his arm and held both of her hands to her heart. “I was really, really, happy,” she repeated. He heard her sniffling as he avoided eye contact. “It's not that I didn't want to speak to you, or that I didn't believe in you, nor did I not want to open up to you, I was just scared,” she continued. She swallowed hard to keep the welling tears from escaping down her smooth cheeks.

“Fame does that to you, doesn't it?” He laughed, trying to stop her from crying. It only made her choke even harder on her tears.

“I...” she breathed, “I...” She tried to continue to, but the pain in her chest refused to allow her to do so. He felt it was enough, he knew what she wanted to say. It didn't take him a second longer before he pulled her into his arms. She allowed herself to disappear into his embrace, her entire existence was being engulfed by him sweetly. She could smell the coffee exuding from his chest, the same bitter sweet aroma she tasted the first day she entered this shop.

He took her arms and leaned in for a kiss. Their lips met and, oh, were those lips sweet. Her lips were soft and his were gentle. The kiss started off slow, enticing, and romantic but slowly hastened, peaked and became passionate. Their tongues danced with rhythm and she rose her arms to his strong back, gripping hard as she felt his tongue slide across her lips. This wasn't her first time receiving such a kiss from a man, but it was the first time such a kiss made her heart flutter and fling. She felt something inside her belly churn and twist, her chest was being attacked by her thumping heart. She couldn't breath. She couldn't think. She didn't want to.

Finally he broke away from her as they both gasped for air and blushed like no tomorrow. They burst into laughter in each others arms, finding each other silly for being so shy at such an age.

“Have you met the bartender?” Yesung asked, a wicked grin on his lips. Geunyoung rolled her eyes with her arms crossed. “I know, I know, I was just teasing. I'll introduce.” He led her by the hands to the bar counter, “Rain,” he called out. A gorgeous man stood up immediately, he was attempting to grab a tray from the drawer in the counter.

“Yes?” He asked before realizing Yesung and Geunyoung were linking hands, “I told you it would work.” Geunyoung stared at Yesung with a suspicious look.

“This is Rain, Geunyoung. He's Vivian's brother and the bartender of this cafe,” Yesung explained, "not to mention, also the manager of this wonderful harem of men." Slowly the pieces came together and Geunyoung angrily tightened her grip on Yesung's small hands.

“You planned this,” she monotonously stated. Her glare almost scared Yesung.

He took a step back, “not entirely.”

She took a step forward, “most of it.”

He nodded with a small pout.

“Are you going to continue to working here?” She asked, looking around the cafe and at all the gorgeous men. “You sort of lower their standards.” It was her way of getting back at him.

Yesung threw his arm around her neck pulling her in, “what did you say?” She laughed and took hold of his arms, trying to release herself, “You didn't say that when you first looked at me,” he pouted as he tightened his hold on her.

“I was joking, joking!” She surrendered.

He smiled at her prosperously, “no, Geunyoung, I'm not going to work here anymore.”

“Why?” She asked, figuring it was probably because he would have a brighter future if he focused on singing anyways.

He tugged her in for another hug, ignoring all the pairs of eyes that were now set on the both of them, “because I can't give you a future by working here. This shop is made for single woman who seek single men, if I find you here again I might just murder you.”

“Am I taken?” she teasingly asked.

Yesung frowned childishly, “what?” She shook her head. “Yeah, you better know that you're claimed.” They ordered and served one last cup of coffee, the usual White Chocolate Mocha with six shots and no whipped cream, and spent the rest of the evening in the Bishounen Cafe reminiscing the past months they spent together.

“Yesung?” Geunyoung whispered, looking straight into his eyes with a smile.

“Yes?” He replied, a grin dancing on his lips.

“Get out of here,” she demanded, suddenly frowning. She stood up and dragged him out by the arm. She noticed all of his fans that were staring seductively at him in the shop, the women that probably set eyes on him for as long as she had. On the way towards the door, with their fingers interlaced, she stopped short and turned to face him. “How did you know I'd visit this shop?”

Yesung pointed out the window where Vivian stood, fear apparent on her dark skin.

“You know I'm going to hurt you, right?” Geunyoung threatened. Yesung shrugged innocently. As they exited the cafe, she turned to look at the sign above the beautiful shop, “Bishounen Cafe,” she mumbled to herself, “how did you make it as an employee, anyways?” She asked, once again trying to insult his looks. Pouting, Yesung tugged on her arm causing her to lose her balance and fall into his chest.

“This is how,” he whispered on her lips. They shared a kiss, an innocent simple kiss nothing like the one before, that tasted like bitter coffee with a hint of sweetness. They never returned to Bishounen Cafe, but they also never found another cafe with coffee that could taste better than the White Chocolate Mocha served there. Perhaps it was because that's where their love brewed and warmed. They made sure never to let it go cold. Never.