Declaration

Unspoken Words
Please log in to read the full chapter

I sat on the brilliant blue bench, my legs draped over the edge as I titled back on my elbows. I lay on my back with my arms out towards the sky. My hands were blocking the radiantly, luminous sun from my view.

 

The only thing missing was the one person who could make any room shine with an effortless smirk. I smiled to myself. The abrupt thought of him had my heart pulsating against my ribs.

 

I closed my eyes and listened to the different sounds that made up the small park I was in. The sounds of laughter and supple chatter glided to my ears. The scent of sugary blossoming cherry blossoms and freshly mowed grass filled the air.

 

As well as the sound of approaching footsteps in my direction, but I didn’t think twice about it since I was basking in the tepid sun. The footsteps I heard just a few moments earlier had stopped, and I had a feeling someone was with me. My speculations were confirmed when a tall, lean shadow blocked the sun.

 

Annoyed I spoke to the figure, “Do you mind?”

 

I was irritated at the person for ruining such a perfect moment. I strain to see with one eye trying to make out this rude stranger. I nearly stopped breathing when he spoke. His deep voice like a soothing lullaby floating on the wind engulfing me sending chills down my spine.

 

“I’ll just board the plane and go back to the military base.” He turned and started walking away.

 

I shot up from the table and ran towards him. I wrapped my arms around his waist and hugged him tightly before he could take another step.

 

Jong Hyun unwrapped my arms from his waist and turned to face me. He wrapped a piece of hair behind my ear, his hand lightly brushing my cheek. Leaning down, he kissed me softly on the lips, and then lightly kissing the tip of nose.

 

I bit my lip and looked down suddenly feeling guilty for snapping at him. Jong Hyun placed a finger under my chin making me look him in the eyes. I couldn’t look away from his warm chocolate orbs as they pierced my sea green eyes. As he continued to weigh my reaction his eyes softened, melting into a soft amber color.

 

I wrapped my arms around his neck pulling him closer to me. I buried my face in the side of his neck and pressed my lips together fighting the tears. Seeing him in front of me was nothing compared to holding him in my arms, or the feeling of being safely wrapped in tender arms. Both our hearts palpitating like a pair of hummingbird’s wings. An overwhelming desire aching through every fiber of my being wanting to  never realize him from my small grasp that I had on him.

 

A sense of desperation filling me as I realized what an atypical experience seeing him at random was; in other words this never happened. I clung onto him breathing in his scent; committing it to memory so when he had to leave again I would able to deal with things better than I had before.  

 

“Are you crying?” He asked softly.

 

Sniffling I replied, “No, you know I don’t cry public.”

 

Jong Hyun chuckled and pulled back from the embrace. I felt a tear escape down my cheek and quickly wiped it away with the back of my hand. A smile graced Jong Hyun’s perfectly aligned face, his eyes lighting up as he looked down at me.

 

“I’ve been with you long enough to know when you’re upset.” He said the back of his hand brushing against my cheek.

 

I could feel the heat rushing to my cheeks. Jong Hyun wordlessly slipped his warm hand under mine. It was a simple gesture that sent my heart racing. We walked back to the bench I was laying on earlier.

 

Jong Hyun lifted me up to edge of the table effortlessly. I patted the spot next to me. I chuckled at the smirk that played at the corner of his lips.

 

“What is wrong with you?” He asked placing his hands over mine. I laced our fingers together and rested them in his lap.

 

“What do you mean?” I asked leaning my head onto his shoulder.

 

Jong Hyun looked at me out of the corner of his eyes. “One minute you’re in tears and the next you’re perfectly fine.”

 

“I blame you.”  I said jabbing his chest.

 

“You what? Why?” He asked his voice hitching an octave higher and his eyebrows merging together. I giggled and shook my head.

 

“It was overwhelming seeing you again after nearly a year.”I said.

 

“I know.” He said solemnly. A sudden realization hit me.

 

“How long are you here for?” I asked my voice surprisingly controlled. I lifted my head off his shoulder and looked at him holding my breath as I waited for his response.

 

“Just for today.” He replied his voice barely audible.

 

I looked down at the ground, noting the tiny space I had unconsciously put between us. Today was the only day I was able to see him? I knew this war was insane, and the circumstances for everyone involved were extreme. No one knew whether or not the person they loved would come back alive.

 

We sat quiet. The silence made the tension in the air worse. My heartfelt arduous, like someone had placed a weight on my chest continuing to pile weight on top of weight crushing my lungs and piercing my heart. Tears were threatening to spill over and fall down my cheeks. Jong Hyun stood and stopped in front of me. He bent over and softly placed his hands on either side of my face, leaning his forehead against mine.

Please log in to read the full chapter