Final

The Road Trip

Imagine a ten year old first time loitering around Disneyland or a rabid fan girl experiencing her once in a life time meeting with her favourite band backstage, yup that’s how vibrant Xi Luhan was when they stepped into the food festival by the beach, almost as if he was being possessed by the Food Spirit.

Blue crabs, sea squirts, clams and flounders got him excited.
Sashimi, ojinga soondae and boiling hot maeuntang almost made him cry.

Or it already did.

“Luhan…are you…crying?” Yoona gawked at him in disbelief, her jaws hanging wide it could fit in a family of flies if she didn’t close it quickly now, “-OMG you are crying!”
Luhan quickly blinked his watery eyes, rebutting with a loud I’m not and it’s just dust, okay and you don’t know how it feels but Yoona was already guffawing, halfway down to roll on the sandy floor while her level of insensibility towards Luhan’s flushed face kept increasing every second.

Huffing, Luhan stomped his feet away like a sulking kid who just had his lollipop taken away, rushing towards anywhere but next to Yoona. It was her turn to get teary eyes this time because of the hysterical laughter but somehow she couldn’t deny she felt quite bad laughing her head off like that when she was supposed to be the supportive wife here, patting her husband’s back for his overwhelming reunion with the love of his life, food.

Yoona decided to let Luhan explored the whole ground and eat whatever he wanted because she was well prepared to face the aftermath –gastrointestinal upset, heartburn, indigestion, nausea, diarrhoea, she had Pepto-Bismul to the rescue!
Contrary to her food-addict acrophobic husband, Yoona preferred enjoying the night breeze and lurking around the souvenir booths instead of stuffing food inside because she was never a big eater anyway.

While Luhan loitered around with the culinary chefs and wonderful foreigners who shared the same interest as he did, Yoona busied herself with handicrafts and kind old folks, telling her stories about the myths and legends of the island.
She had fun laughing, being her carefree self and jotting down fun facts about black bears but it was the mention of the legendary Naksansa Temple that caught her full attention.

“Naksansa’s one of the country’s most beautiful Buddhist temples with its pavilion being a tranquil spot for visitors to wait for the spectacular views of sunrise and sunsets.” Yoona did her homework, reading through the guidebook and decided it would be a great way to end the chapter of this whole road trip story. Tomorrow, tomorrow she’d be one of those many lucky people that actually got a chance to witness how the Sun would set in the background behind green mountains and breathtaking ocean blue.

“Thanks for the info, ma’am.” Yoona politely waved goodbye to move on to the next section when the pair of wrinkled hands grabbed her and she thought she was slowly hypnotized into the old lady’s pair of grey eyes, “God is giving you a very wonderful gift. Thank Him.”

“What?”
She almost let out a shrill bark when an unexpected slap stung her bottom and Yoona was too busy rubbing the pain away she lost sight of the old woman.
Weird. Slowly, she started walking away, greeting the lovely and welcoming local people and she nearly cramped her face muscles because of smiling too much. Based on Dr. David Song’s research, humans used 12 muscles to smile and all twelve of them were exhausted right now so, Yoona needed to sit down. Random fact, unrelated excuse.

By the time she felt soft breeze slapping the back of her exposed neck, Yoona beamed at the sight of the two carat diamond ring on her finger and it was then that memories of the past came flashing before her eyes. She recalled being nervous while walking down the aisle having to see Luhan’s dashing smile that somewhat turned a little bit more than magical when he took her hand. He was everything she had ever wanted, definitely fitting the ideal type thingy she once listed during recess back in high school.

Their wedding was held simple but sweet at the backyard of Luhan’s family’s mansion with just close friends and families gathering together to beautify the tranquil ceremony. Yoona’s wedding dress was a mix of fairy tale and modern princess theme while Luhan looked as if he just came off a magazine in his well-fitted suit and ash blonde hair styled to impress.

Except for their wedding vows and that unforgettable special moment Luhan actually sat behind a piano and mercilessly butchered Yiruma’s River Flows in You, everything else was superfluous. Even at the thought of his 200% confident face, letting his fingers danced on the piano keys was enough to make Yoona laughed the whole day. He was being rather adorable actually, thinking he nailed it when really, everybody almost died trying to maintain a serious and in awe expression because it was that disastrous.  Despite having to face the second-hand embarrassment, Yoona appreciated his effort to actually try and play that favourite piano piece of hers so in the end, it turned out into something rather endearing.

She fixed the ring perfectly on her finger again, smiling into it,
“For better or worse, till death do us apa-“

Screeching sound of what sounded like Moby ’s gut voice threw the initially merry and joyous atmosphere into silence in a jiffy.

 “I’M A FULL GROWN KOREAN MANNN!!”
The piercing loud sound blasted through the speakers almost reaching the twelfth octave, leaving everybody in a state of shock for half a second before sounds of gasps and cheers and bellows started filling up the awkward gap of silence just now.

Hiccups.

“AND I AM ALLERGIC TO TURTLESSS!”

Sudden drainage of blood from her face, mini heart attacks and difficult gulps, Yoona silently prayed this wasn’t something she thought it was. Turning around with squinted eyes towards the center of the stage just few metres away from where she was sitting at,

OH

MY

GOD

Xi ing Luhan, randomly appearing on stage, grabbed the microphone, and tangoed.
And did I mention that he’s drunk?

“I.AM.A.VAMPIRE!”

Totally wasted.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 

It was one thing that Luhan was literally embarrassing himself in front of the crowd but it was another thing that he actually declared to the whole world that he’s a married man, a husband to that one young lady at the corner desperately trying to bury her face into the ground.

What the heck OMG Luhan what in the world are you ugh!” Just like a lost puppy, Yoona walked back and forth, definitely losing her mind at the sight of Luhan jumping up and down on the stage as if he’s some kind of a rock star on tour. Worse, everybody seemed to be enjoying his presence and showmanship by coolly throwing their hands up in the air and chanting some words Yoona chose to ignore hearing. There was nothing but two things in her mind,

One; she wasn’t ready for this aftermath. And two; Pepto-Bismul definitely couldn’t cure this.

Right now Yoona only had two choices left, it’s either she took the role as that patient wife going upstage to claim back her wasted husband or just…run away.

“OMG that guy is hilarious! He’s your husband, isn’t he?”
An ecstatic what she would describe as overly-excited and admiring voice forced Yoona to turn her head to a young couple standing next to her, visually giving their thorough support to Luhan for crashing the party.

She chose the second choice.

Run, Forrest, run !
It was a need to speed away right now and if only she could sprout out her wings, that could have been better so she could just fly away to the moon and disappeared forever. Maybe descend after three full moons but whatever, she just wanted to die from this extreme second-hand embarrassment. This was infinitely worse than that piano performance to be honest.
Ninja mode, on! From tiptoeing on her legs with the hard-covered guidebook as a shield to protect the exploding red face, Yoona set off into a nearly crouching position, almost rolling over her back, making full use of all the ninjas and spies’ movements she had spent her leisure time learning from the TV dramas and movies.

She could survive this. Pleasepleasepleaseplease God must still have mercy on her and if she could actually get out of this alive in one piece, she’d start going to church on Sundays and consider joining the choir or sell cookies to collect funds and-

“YOOOOOONNAAAA”

. Abort mission, let’s just stick to the first choice.

Squeezing her slender body between the attentive crowds and deafening herself from listening to all the mumbling voices, Yoona scurried towards the stage with the aim to drag Xi Luhan down and maybe smacked some sense into his non-functioning brain because this would not be something that even dementia could erase, really.

“Luhan! Get your off the stage naww!” With a tensed look on her face, she mouthed the words to him just to have Luhan dumbly gawking back at her,
“WHAT DID YOU SAY?”

Yoona felt strings of headaches and her knuckles were getting itchy because really, she could hear voices of her fists begging her to just give a strong punch across Luhan’s face. That could probably sober him up. But Yoona’s a kind wife and kind wives don’t punch their husbands.

“Alright guise! Goodnight! I’m signing out, nice to meet you radies and gentwelmen, ADIOS!”
FINALLY, he jumped off the stage and Yoona was already midway sighing in relief, plotting Luhan’s death in her mind but the moment he staggered towards her with that somewhat creepy, fifty percent professional erted look, she knew she was relieved for nothing.

Weaving his way towards her, he bellowed a strong and exaggerative shout of
“It’s gonna be a longgggggggggggggggg night tonight, baybehhh
What-the-hell were the only three words that Yoona could actually deliver from and the others were left stuck inside , making her look like a choking seal.

“Luhan, NO.” Yoona backed off, almost stumbling when she bumped into a rock behind her that she was pretty sure it wasn’t there a minute ago, “LUHAN!”

One strong pull with a beastly grunt, Luhan towed Yoona forward when he pulled her arm over his shoulder and picked her off the ground with her legs dangling and kicking in the air. The muffled screams of terror wasn’t helping at all to stop the inebriated Xi Luhan who believed he’s a werewolf transforming under the full moon,

“Luhan! Gosh! Put me down!”
“Imma put you down baby don’t worry! ON.BED.”

Facepalming, almost clawing her eyeballs out, Yoona really wanted to jump off any cliff nearby or drowned herself into the ocean water. The fact that her intoxicated husband was carrying her around in circles like this bumping to every walking people and vases they came across was damaging the Xi family’s pride so badly Yoona wouldn’t be surprised if their dead ancestors woke up from their graves and hunt Luhan down.

For some reason, (drunk reason, obviously)he was slurring a mixture of Chinese words and Korean, also some French which Yoona had no idea where he picked that one up from, while walking around rattling about how beautiful the night was and losing his way towards the elevator.

“Luhan, put me down now and just let me-“
“I’m a full grown Korean mannnn! Do you want me to rip my shirt or-”
“Nonono, NO LUHAN DON’T RIP YOUR SHIRT!” She exhaled deeply, feeling the pulsation of her temples, “-Just put me down now, will you?” Yoona replied, trying to squirm away from his tight grip but failed every single time. Seriously, what did he drink to get him into this total mess? It’s not always likely for her to see drunk Luhan because despite being slightly crazy and playful at times, Yoona knew better that her husband wasn’t the kind to resort to alcohol in any given situation. Except…

“My Dad is a ball of evil!”

Correction. Xi Luhan never resort to alcohol in any given situation except when it involved one of these two; his father or…his father.

 “He’s like a hybrid of an effective er and a jealous grandma!” Luhan yelled out, doing his little drunk-guy footwork before they finally reached the elevator at the fifth try. Yoona climbed down when he loosened his grip and quickly caught him by his arms before he could fall back from the dizziness when the elevator moved up.

“Luhan, don’t say that. He’s the reason why you’re half Chinese, he’s your father gosh, sweetie that’s not nice of you.”
“Oh come on! You know that too! Him and the work he keeps piling up on me is ing us! I want my old life back! Let’s move away from here! I don’t want to be Dad’s puppet anymore! Let’s go to Narnia!” He collapsed against her body, burying his face inside the crook of her neck.

For once, he decided to vent out the mountain of anger and frustration even if the words were nonsense, Yoona got his point. Turned out, Luhan didn’t like overworking and those extra times at the company after all while she misunderstood him as a voluntary workaholic when really, all he ever wanted was to revert to that perfect husband he used to be.

The door broke open and revealed a pair of old couple outside. Yoona didn’t fail to flash a polite smile towards them despite the sceptical look they had on their face because oh well, she wouldn’t blame them though. Luhan’s a terrible mess right now.
Hardly dragging his own legs with full support from his wife, they both succeeded to stand before the door of their room.

“Yoona, I’m sorry.” He said out of the blue when she was busy rummaging into her bag for the keys,  “…I’m sorry for the times we bickered and argued with each other. I didn’t mean to act like a jerk and for those times I kept cancelling our dates, I’m sorry.”

Yoona looked up from the bag, straight to his face with her fingers grasping the keys tightly inside her palm. A difficult smile formed on her face out of the overflowing love she had for this man and out of guilt.
“Luhan, you’re drunk. Let’s just get inside and-”

“Wifey, I love you.” Luhan’s tender voice touched her heart to the deepest core, snapping her mind out of all the thoughts when she just let him rest on her, breathing out warm air against her bare shoulder. Honestly, Yoona couldn’t even remember the exact time he last said those three words but it didn’t matter anymore because she would remember tonight’s date clearly. September 20.

When she finally put Luhan down on the bed, he was still blabbering about Korean War and growing moustache but Yoona could handle this. Even if he was being mighty ridiculous and constantly growling like the typical resident ert, it was okay. There was nothing he could do to make her love him less.

It was only ten minutes later that Luhan was finally soundlessly asleep on her laps with only the silence and Yoona’s loving stare accompanying his slumber. She ran her fingers through his ash blonde hair, guiltily rubbing the part on the back of his head that she whacked just now because she had to, okay! He was undressing the bolsters and roaring like a dinosaur.

“I love you too, Xi Luhan.” Placing a gentle kiss on his forehead, Yoona propped him closer to her and decided this was the best sleeping position ever and she wouldn’t mind getting up early morning tomorrow with backache and cramped legs. Because the optimum temperature she felt while holding him like this was worth any kind of pain, really.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 

Third stop –Naksansa Temple

Luhan was singing to the song in the radio again but it stopped annoying Yoona because she was grooving along with him too this time. He would rock the high notes while she was more into the harmony and echoes, their voices blending together perfectly even veteran singers would be jealous.

It’s time like this which reminded them of how deeply in love they were with each other and considering how perfect they were back then, it wasn’t worth spending even a second to fight and argue.

“Did I come back drunk last night? Some ahjushi gave me this weird liquor and trust me, I only had one freaking drink and it already felt like a hammer just smacked my head.”
“You bet I do.” Yoona replied shortly, grinning at the thought of Luhan acting all beastly-like with ripping shirt and heavy grunts, she was pretty sure he’d die in embarrassment if he actually remembered what happened.

“Most of Naksansa was destroyed by a fire that started in the surrounding forest but the temple was fully restored by 2010. And wow, that wasn’t the first time fire destroyed the temple, you know.  There were two other destructing incidents back in the 13th century and during the 1953 Korean War.” Yoona started off her ritual mantra of reading through the history of the place while Luhan was just attentively listening this time because of full stomach to be honest.

Sticking close to each other, they spent the next few hours roaming around the temple and visiting the renowned Naksansa’s seven storied stone pagoda that was built in 1947, the 13th year of the reign of King Sejo.
“You see, the seven storied pagoda is an example of the Goryeo style pagoda having a single square foundation which is carved with 24 lotus petals. Freaking amazing, isn’t it??” Yoona clasped her hands in awe, glancing over at Luhan who was flashing her a crooked smile,
“Gangnam style.”
Yoona exasperatingly blew a sigh because for sure, Luhan had never and would never be interested in histories and such. She’s just wasting her time narrating the whole story to him.
“Oppa Gangna-“
“GOSH LUHAN, CONTROL YOURSELF.”

The next building they stopped by around the same compound of the temple was an ancient one. It was a tower and towers gave fairy tale imaginations to Yoona because, reasons.
“Don’t you even dare thinking of going up that tower and pretend like you’re Rapunzel, you hear me?”
Luhan’s warning came before she could even propose that idea and, pleasedon’tjudgeher.

From the temple to the tower, to the ground halls and playing hide and seek inside the museum, Luhan had found a new item to be feared of.

Sheep.

“Get him off my way!!”
Yoona blinked in disbelief at Luhan who was literally running around, climbing onto rocks and stairs when the baby sheep was meekly trying to get close to him,
“Luhan, what are you-Are you serious??” Yoona scoffed, patting the sheep’s belly and rolled her eyes at her cowardly husband, “-Why are you afraid of sheep? They won’t bite you or harm you.”

“They’re UG-LY.” He retorted instantly with a disgusted look on his face, shooing the poor little ball of fluffy wool away but backed off when his eyes met with those of fiery glare from the alpha male just lazing around nearby. Yoona chuckled heartily at the sight of the staring battle between Luhan and the huge male sheep, deciding it was time to go and wait by the pavilion now. Sunset was coming.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Uisangdae Pavilion, the last stop.

While Luhan was busy complaining about the painful bump on the back of his head, Yoona was busy looking into the pictures and snapping new ones. Thinking to herself, they had gone quite a long way and three days brought them closer than ever but glancing over at Luhan’s indifferent face, Yoona was left unsure. She had news to break out to him but even after brainstorming the whole day, it was getting more difficult each time.

Little kids ran across the spacious compound under the blue sky that was turning grey.
Birds flew above them, probably migrating to the South and for the first time, nature failed to ease her anxiety.

“Luhan-“

“Yoong, let’s play a game.”
She raised an eyebrow, a little sceptical when he turned to face her with a smile but then again, who wouldn’t melt to that beautiful beam belonging to Xi Luhan?
“What game?” Yoona got herself interested. At least they could kill time while waiting for the spectacular view they’re both here for.

“Remember back in college? When we used to fight and solve problems with this personal game we created back then?” Luhan said, taking his wife’s hands and gently squeezing them,
“You mean the Listened and Forgotten game?”
Luhan nodded his head with a clever smirk and he didn’t even have to convince her any further because even Yoona knew how effective the game was back then to clear up all the messes they once made.

“Okay.” She agreed, turning her whole body to face Luhan and they’re now opposing each other, little giggles when they found it tad awkward to be staring at one another like this but nonetheless, Luhan started off first.

“I’ve been cheating on you with that demanding work of mine so I’m sorry.”
Yoona nodded, signalling that she had that matter put to rest and forgotten before replying with her very own words,
“Those times when I sulked and lost my temper, the angry words that I yelled at you for breaking your promises, I’m sorry.”
“Listened and forgotten.” Luhan quickly said, interlacing their hands together and put up his head again after few seconds of delay to think of what to say,

“-For the times when I blamed you for those pranks I pulled on Mom during April Fools, or the times when I ended up falling asleep while we’re having our midnight heart-to-heart chat, I’m sorry… “
“I deleted your stash because you were watching it alone. Sorry.”
“WHAT-“
“Listened and forgotten~” Yoona gestured her finger as if she’s some kind of a music instructor, leading a whole orchestra band but surprisingly it succeeded to silent Luhan despite him pouting and being all sulky, “Those were gems, Yoona.” He murmured but was just ignored by his nonchalant wife,
“Oh come on, you don’t need them, now your turn. Quick!”
“Remember Janggu?”
Of course Yoona remembered Janggu. Her five months old Maltese puppy that she got from her old friend and Yoona clearly remembered how she almost cried when Janggu went missing.
The puppy was her breakfast partner, her attentive listener whenever she wanted to rant and Janggu was always there to calm her whenever she bawled her eyes out watching heart-wrenching drama scenes.

“Luhan, don’t you dare tell me that-“
“I gave him away.”
“WHAT?!”
Luhan cried in pain when a powerful slap stung his left arm and he was making whimpering noises of an injured puppy as she kept harassing him with punches and painful smack,

“He was peeing on my shirt okay!”
“You know I love Janggu how could you-“
“You deleted my stash!”
“Janggu is far more precious than your stash what are you-“
“They’re international, okay!”
“UGH!” Yoona awarded him with an upgraded last attack of burying her teeth inside the palm of his hand and Luhan swore the feeling was as if he dipped his hand in a pool of piranha and he was already accepting the fact of being handicapped.

“Why are you abusing me like this?!” Luhan wailed with a serious tantrum of a fully grown 25 years old man while desperately trying to run away from his monstrous wife, thinking that starting this game wasn’t a wise idea after all.
You see, back then it was all fine and peaceful. Nobody snapped at whatever the outcome was and none of them ever lose temper for anything their other half did but these days, it’s just too easy to annoy each other and Luhan realised that better than anybody else.
Yoona’s happy mood switched to a rotten one in a split second so Luhan assumed it’s either she was too upset at him for giving away her precious puppy or she’s just currently having that time of the month.

“I’ve a confession to make.” Yoona broke the seconds of silence that Luhan used up to soothe his pain and trauma from the harassments he got from Yoona just now,

“No no no Yoong, let’s stop this already. I could lose an arm if we-“

“I’m pregnant, Luhan.”

He didn’t understand that simple sentence even if it wouldn’t need much effort to process what she was saying in normal conditions. Luhan was astonished, as if his brain was suffering from short-circuit and was waiting to be rebooted.

“Last night was 20th September and I only came to realise that I’ve been missing my period and I know this is abrupt and sudden and…but…I…” Stammering, Yoona decided it was best to just show him instead of explaining so she resolved to pulling out a pregnancy kit from inside of her tote bag and showed the evident proof to support her theory, “-Double lines.”

Around him, everything was moving in slow motion and even reading Yoona’s lips talking seemed too difficult let alone comprehending whatever she was trying to tell him.
It’s like all of a sudden, Xi Luhan, a graduate from one of Seoul’s prestigious business schools in just a second, turned into that dumb man we often read in children’s folktales.

Yoona was wise enough to note the astounded look on Luhan’s face as if his brain was being out alive by a giant straw and she wouldn’t blame him for being tongue-tied. She herself almost flipped too when she saw the double lines earlier and Yoona lost count of how many times she actually took the test to finally accept the fact that there’s a baby growing in her womb. Her and Luhan’s baby. At that instant, Yoona recalled again what the old woman told her last night, something about God’s gift and she came had to think the lady could probably be her very own fairy godmother.

Luhan got up from the bench, mindlessly walking over towards the edge that separates the high ground from the sea below and spread his arms, almost looking like he was ready to take off flying from the rocky cliff.
“Luhan! What are you doing??” Confused, Yoona approached her husband with the thoughts that she had probably damaged his brain with the news because acrophobic Xi Luhan couldn’t even ride a see-through elevator, let alone standing behind a cliff like this.

Even if his brain could be malfunctioning right now, she just hoped he wouldn’t jump.
They’re having a baby to be taken care of few months from now and Yoona definitely wouldn’t want to do it alone. Clutching onto a handful of cloth on the back of his collar, Yoona hauled him back with a strong force, living up to her Female Hercules nickname she was stuck with since high school.

Falling back into her arms, it was almost a comical romantic shot that Luhan was being the one Yoona  was supporting, his head thrown back and his arms slung around her neck in that 45 degree position off the ground, you know, that kind of pose in a tango dance.

“I believe I can fly…”

“WHAT THE-”

“I believe I can touch the sky”

Of all things, R. Kelly just had to appear and excuse the randomness but this, is Xi Luhan to Im Yoona. Random, and loved.

When Luhan propped himself up, locking their hands together, “I think about it every night and day ooh yeah”, Yoona was already breathlessly chortling and supporting shades of pink blushes over her cheeks, “-spread my wings and fly away yeah yeah oohh ohhh”
(please ignore his bad attempt to adlib)

“Aww, Luhan.” Gently cupping his cheeks while melting into that lovely smile across his dashing good looks, Yoona found her very own paradise in his pair of sparkling eyes. Silly Luhan could be really annoying and goofy at times but it remarkably became one of the many reasons why she had loved him from the start.

“You know what, sweetie? You’re going to be the loveliest mom on Earth, I bet my limbs on that.” He whispered, gently nuzzling his nose against hers and felt his heart raced at the sound of her girlish giggles.

When they first started the road trip, the bridge was shaky and they both realised that even within one blow of the hurricane, it could be the last crack before it collapsed…but that was then.

Now, it’s a different story.

The blow of the evening wind made Yoona’s fringe fell gracefully across her eyes. Just as Luhan brushed it away, he slowly leaned in and kissed her lips softly. Slow, long, sweet.
A kiss as delicately beautiful as a butterfly, the problems were like volatile gases dissolving into the windy breeze and disappeared with no traces.

Behind them, the sun slowly lowered with a rainbow of reddish yellow hues engulfing the sky.
The sound of waves crashing and birds chirping in chorus of delicate music, it was probably the best ending theme song ever created in history.

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N : Guise guise guise what have I turned Luhan into LOL I cannot believe I almost died writing this short fic because Xi Luhan is freaking weird and stuff and idek why I'm doing this XD I hope you guys enjoy and excuse all the randomness and nonsense because this fic is meant to be a ball of goof and all. But really, where can I find a husband like Luhan TT he's so strange and hysterical it's lovable ;~; But you know that every story has its moral value right? Well, in this fic, I'm trying to stress on the point that in whatever relationship, if there's a problem, FIX IT. Don't throw it away because really, love is something that needs to be upgraded and beautify every day it doesn't matter if it's between married couples or families or friends so yup, The Road Trip, done! I feel like something's missing here so if you have anything confusing in mind, I'll be glad to explain k byeee ^^