A Fresh Start

A New Beginning

It was a cold Friday morning in Seoul.  The leaves were turning from the nice grass green color into beautiful reds and oranges.  The wind had just a hint of a cold breeze and the smell of summer was gone.  Harmony was unloading the moving truck and brought her boxes up to the 7th floor of her new apartment.  Harmony just moved from USA to Seoul to start a new life.  Her life in the USA was not perfect, but hey, whose life is perfect right? 

 

Harmony was a dancer.  Dancing was her passion.  During her school life, she was always in dance competition and talent shows.  People always said that Harmony will go far with her dancing and that when she dances, nothing else in the world mattered.  There was one person that always there at her dances, her brother, Chase.  Harmony really didn’t know her parents because as long as she remembers, it was always her brother taking care of her.   Her brother always told her that mom and dad was busying working or they were on another trip.  At first, it bothered Harmony a lot that she never had a relationship with her parents but as time passes, it didn’t bother her anymore.  She was happy with just having her brother in her life.

 

A couple of years ago, her brother was killed in a car accident while coming to pick her up from dance class. Harmony’s whole world changed, she is now alone.  The pain of losing her brother killed her over and over again.  The heart that once used to burn with passion now burns cold.  The beautiful smile that she once had has not been seen since.  Everything reminded her that she was alone.  Dancing didn’t even feel the same anymore.  No one there to cheer her on, no one there to support her, no one was there period!  Harmony wanted a new beginning, a new life where she isn’t reminded daily that her brother was no longer here. Chase had left all of his saving and assets to her.  Going through this hard time alone, Harmony couldn’t do it anymore. Harmony decided to pack all of her things, give up her life in USA and move to Seoul.

 

Opening the new door to her new apartment, Harmony just threw all the boxes on the floor.  She was too tired to open the boxes and clean right since she still has a lot of moving to do.  Up and down, up and down she goes from the truck to her apartment.  She was too busy moving that she didn’t even notice there was a man starring at her.

 

Harmony finally got the final box out of the truck and started to make her way back to the 7th floor.  She reached her hand out to open her door when the door was opened for her.  With a shock looked, she turned around to see that there was man to her right side holding her door for her.  She smiled at him and dropped the box on the floor.

 

“Hi, I’m Jiyong.  I live across the hallway from you.  I hope I didn’t scare you.  I noticed that you were going back and forth and thought I will come give you a helping hand.  Welcome!”

 

Hello, I’m Harmony.  Thank you for opening the door for me.”

 

Jiyong gave a little side smile and scratched the back of his head.  “It was no problem” he said as he was starting to look around.

Harmony gave a little smile and started to turn around to enter her apartment.  “I’ll see you around sometime?” Jiyong said while walking back to his apartment.  Harmony with a look of shock on her face responded "Sure...??"  and started to close the door.  She thought to herself…"Jiyong huh?"...

For the next couple of days, Harmony didn’t leave her apartment.  She was too busy cleaning and arranging her new home.  She was also looking for a job, even though she had enough money to survive, she wanted to have a job to keep her mind and body busy.  She was looking in the news paper until she came across an ad.  “Back up dancer needed for world tour!!”  Dancing…how she missed it so much.  She doesn’t know if she can bring herself to dancing again because she still feels the guilt of her brother’s death.  If she didn’t have the dance class that day, he may still be alive.  She shook her head and tried to brush off the thought of her brother.  “I need something to do. I can’t stay locked in here forever can I?” 

 

She got up and started to do her stretches.  Even though she gave up dancing, she did continue to do her stretches and warm up.  She knows that her brother would be upset with her that she gave up dancing, but that is an internal battle that she is fighting with herself.  Harmony felt like she needed some fresh air.  From her window, she saw that there was a little coffee shop down the block across the street from the park.  She went and freshen up, got out of her sweats and changed into skinny jeans, knee high suede boots, a tank top layered with a leather crop jacket and off she went.  As she was leaving her apartment she heard a door open and close.  Not wanting to be bother, she just kept on walking until she hears a voice.

 

“So I finally get to see you again…It was Harmony right?” 

 

Harmony turns around to see Jiyong locking his door.  He was wearing black leather pants, skull belt, white beater and a red leather jacket with spikes.

 

Harmony couldn't help but look at him until she finally realize that she still hasn't given him an answer yet, “Yes…I was just trying to get settle in so I locked myself in until I was finished.  Since I’m done now, I was going to go out and check out Seoul and get used to my new home.”

 

Jiyong blushed that she was looking at him so hard, “New home huh?  So where are you from?  I was just on my way out, if you don’t mind; can I walk with you and get to know you better?”

 

Harmony really didn't want to have the company but thought she will be nice since he did help her on her first day...“Sure, I was just going to go check out that coffee shop down the street.”

 

Jiyong laughed to himself and they started to walk out.