one ;

Chasing Stars

 

 

Wu Fan loved rain. The drizzle of the rain that would fall to the ground, and sometimes the tiny droplets would hit his strands of hair unknowingly, the grey clouds cluttering in the dark skies, and when it is sunny, he may just had the chance to watch the beautiful rainbow dashed proudly in the sky, giving the world a tinge of bliss in its dullness.

 

He loved the rain too – because of the faint splattering sound that the rain would craft, as the thrilling sound of the creeping thunderstorms and the harsh wind would batter against each other. Astoundingly, sometimes, the rain would put him to sleep, especially at night, when his eyes refused to work together with his brain or when counting stars alone – was not enough to put him into a deep slumber.

 

He loved the rain so much that he would sit alone on the pavement outside of his family’s two-storey house, next to their garage. He would sit quietly, and hugged his knees tightly; watching the rain that sometimes wouldn’t stop pouring, and sometimes his shoulders would get soaked in the cold droplets of water, and he shivered due to the wind.

 

Perhaps, watching the rain in silence would help him to forget the pain. That pain of losing someone who was dearest not only to his paper heart alone – but also, to the hearts of many.

 

Wu Fan was twelve when he learnt that he lost his sister, his younger stepsister in a tragic car crash accident. A lot of people said that he was too young to understand, but unfortunately, a grief does not care about the age, it would strike you when you least expect it to be. That’s one of the saddest facts of life.

 

Wu Fan was thirteen when his parents decided to move from Vancouver, Canada to Seoul, Korea. The daunting memories of his sister living in their house, her missing burst of giggles and the way her silhouette sometimes would strangely appear in the middle of the night made it even harder for broken hearts and shattered paper hearts to move on.

 

Countless nightmares would visit them each night and the eerie, death of silence during dinner were more than enough to provide reasonable reasons needed to move to somewhere far, far away from the dark place, or at least – Wu Fan’s parents thought so.

 

He didn’t want to, because somehow he loved the lingering presence of the black memories, although it killed him, every single time he reminisced.

 

He sat on the edge of a wooden bridge, dangling his foot in the air, as he fixed his gazes at the float of the rippling lake water. The air he breathed in was refreshing and compelling, albeit it felt desolate, and somehow filled with solitary. He took out a piece of white paper from the pocket of his bag pack, and a pen from his pencil case. He then scribbled something down on the blank paper.

 

To Fei Fei,

We are leaving this place soon. I’m sorry; I couldn’t make mom or dad to change their minds.

But just because we’re moving, it doesn’t mean that we would forget you.

And it doesn’t mean that we don’t love you.

We love you and we miss you, so much.

May you rest in peace, Fei Fei.

 

He creased the paper, and folded it meticulously with each step, until it finally became a paper boat. A smiled tugged at his lips, as he felt pleased with its final product. He bent his back a little, as he extended his arm to put the paper boat in the water.

 

He watched it float away. Away with his heart.

 

<> 

 

 

Yoon Bomi gazed at the darkening clouds dominating and moving across the sky above her as her eyes squinted, when she realized a pat of water fell onto her cheek. She quickly wiped it away with the back of her hand with a hiss. The rain was coming down, once again.

 

For a ten year old girl, who enjoyed spending her evening playing soccer with the boys, having her evening being interrupted by the sudden pour of the rain was already a mishap in her dictionary.

 

She stomped her right feet onto the ground and cried out, “Gosh, I hate rain!”

 

She pulled up her hood, and crouched down to pick the soccer ball up from the grass of the vast field as she quickly ran and carried her small steps to a nearby shelter.

 

Bomi had never really been that much of a fan of the rain.

 

She hated getting her hair wet in the rain, or getting her favorite oversized shirts being ludicrously drenched, she hated those little puddles of water on the ground as it would only make it difficult for her to walk around. There was once, when she slipped her footing and fell down – and it caused her, a visible scar on her right knee.

 

Well, the only thing that she does like about the rain – is the fact that, after the rain, then along comes the rainbow.

 

And when the rain finally stopped, the sun would appear in between the forming skies.

 

Bomi loves summer, because summer is sweet, lovely and warm.

 

When the rain didn’t stop, she decided to just swiftly run in the rain, with her hand tightly gripping the soccer ball to her waist, and her other hand, sheltering her head from the droplets of rain.

 

"Rain, rain go away, come again another day," she muttered along the way.

 

Sadly, the rain opted not to listen to her.