Chapter23-Sit-ups.

The only exception.

To say that Onew was nervous, was a serious understatement of the year.

He paced up and down the school compound trying to still his fears. He almost pulled his hair out from their roots with the force he was exerting on his poor scalp. Not knowing what to do he could only pace back and forth waiting for Jessica to reach school.

Onew's POV

*How?!?! What should I do? Purposely lose?? Or just really do my best and win it...and face Jonghyun later on??" I kept pondering over my choices of what I could do and could not make up my mind. I barely slept a wink the previous night, due to this troubles and felt compelled to think of a win-win situation, but to no avail.

"Onew!! Let's go!" Jessica suddenly pounced on me, scaring me out of my wits. She grabbed my hand excitedly, skipping along the way. My spirits were lifted seeing her happy and excited behaviour. I chuckled and rubbed my thumb endearingly on her face and said teasingly, "Hm...someone's happy today."

Her face immediately scrunched up in a adorable pout and said faltering, "I'm scared to death Oppa..." I assured her comfortingly, "It's okay. Let's just try our best." Jessica looked at me beaming and nodded her head cutely, her excitement returning as quickly as it left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Despite the many reassurances I gave Jessica, I was actually cowering in fear on the inside, whereas my exterior looked like I was prepared for the sit-ups. In 5 mins time, the first segment of today's event would commence.

*You can do it Onew. For Jessica.*I encouraged myself trying to put up a tough stance. I had to and could really try my best, after all Jonghyun just said to lose when he told me to and for now, when I slanted a glance on him he appeared to be cocky and saw no need for me to lose on purpose. I shrugged an returned my attention to those mats where the competition would take place at.

A loud voice interrupted my thoughts and brought me back to reality. "Contestants! Gather at the mats. Now!" The organiser of this competition barked through a loud speaker. His voice resonated throughout the entire school hall. And many people around me either jumped in shock of the sudden loud announcement or shunned, covering their ears from the piercing sound.

"Owwww....I'm gonna get him if my ear starts bleeding." Taemin pouted ,sulking as he rubbed his ear. I chuckled and ruffled his hair affectionately, "Taeminnie...don't sulk, it's ugly." Taemin immediately stopped sulking and looked at me questioningly, "Really?"

I nodded, laughing inwardly as Taemin scrunched up his face in a mixture of emotions. He wanted to sulk yet fought against it for the fear of being ugly. I nudged him gently asking on a more serious tone. "You prepared?" He stopped his numerous facial expressions and looked at me smiling cheekily. "Me and Seohyun decided to opt out of the competition." Looking at my surprised look he continued on, "we will be rooting for you and Jessica!! Hwaiting! Quickly go!!" Using a shoo-ing motion he 'chased' me away.

I quickly rushed towards Jessica and took my place on the mat. Jessica smiled at me and whispered, "Just do your best. The result does not matter." I returned her smile and returned my attention to the speaker. He was holding a briefing on the rules and regulations of this event and the safety procedure.

Getting into position for the competition, we laid on the mats and while Jessica held on to my ankles I.laid down on the cold, hard mat waiting for further instructions. Soon he cleared his throat and announced with gusto. "Let the competition begin then!"

I immediately started doing sit-ups, however as I sat up, my lips were so close to Jessica's face. I could smell her scent despite the musky smell the mats gave out. Jessica too seemed to notice this fact and her face started to turn a deep shade of red.

My heart beated frantically as I did the sit-ups, our faces were so close to each other it was almost as if we were kissing. Everytime I sat up, Jessica would turn away from me. Before we even snapped out of our world which only consisted of both of us. The competition concluded. I could.not focus on doing sit-ups and Jessica too could not focus as she blushed and shunned me when our faces were close. Too close for both of us. Our faces were in such close proximity.

We only managed a humble feat of 38 sit-ups as compared to the victorius pair, Jonghyun and Key, they accomplished 52. I sighed and looked at Jessica.

She appeared to be in a daze and I shook her gently, cooing her name. "Hm?" She asked me, finally snapping out of her trance. "We lost. Jongkey won." I said, regret entering my voice. I expected her to whine or just sulk, however her reaction was not as I expected.

Jessica started giggling, her laughter tinkling in the air like a.nightingale. "We expected it didn't we? How could we win if half the time we were avoiding the eyes of each other?" I too joined in laughter, rolling about in the floor as I realised our foolishness, of course we had to at least focus to win and we did not even manage that, too focus in our own world.

Taemin and Seohyun came bounding towards us, as their hair flew in the air as they opposed the motion of air. Taemin flung his entire body mass at me and wiggled his eyebrows suggestively. "Hyung, not bad." I looked at him and exclaimed, "What?! You speak no sense. We lost."

He gave a thumbs up sign and said in a smirking tone, "Oh...please. Who cares if you lost, you and Jessica were sooooo close. So close to kissing." I blushed and by my lips, not being able to find a retort to rebut him.

On the other hand, Jessica was also facing the same situation as me. Seohyun looked at Jessica and said softly, "Unnie. I see you in a different light now." Jessica raised her eyebrows at Seohyun and asked her to elaborate on her point. Seohyun then said, grinning foolishly, "Oh you and Onew...you know skinship??" Seohyun wiggled her eyebrows knowingly. Tutting and wagging her finger. Jessica scoffed and stalked off dragging me along with her saying, "Pfft. Let's go Onew, the next segment is starting soon!! "

Seohyun and Taemin called put teasingly, poking fun at us, "Yeah have some fun making out!" High-giving each other as they saw our appalled looks. Glaring at them out of the corner of out eyes, we stormed off huffing and panting.

Taemin and Seohyun just chuckled and stalked after us, indulging in their own conversation.

A/N. Please COMMENT and SUBSCRIBE!! I didn't get any comments or any new subscribers for my last update.:'( Please comment, okay? So I can improve and it encourages me to write too!!:)