Advertising

The Bubble Tea Store

 

It's been a couple of days and I've noticed how deserted the bubble tea store was. The number of customers entering weren't as great compared to previous weeks. There would only be at least two customers ordering every hour. I sighed at the vacant seats in front of me. 

Just then, my mom came out of the kitchen. 

"It looks like it won't be busy again today," she shook her head in disappointment.

"This isn't good," my forehead creased in worry.

"Why don't you go. I'll watch the store," she said.  

"I'll try and figure something out to get this business up and running again," I gave her a hopeful smile before giving her a kiss on the cheek. I then headed straight to Baekhyun's house.

"Baekhyun, what do I do?" I groaned as I slumped on his couch. He was eating a strawberry yogurt. 

"Try doing something to bring the customers back," he suggested. 

"That's my dilemma. I don't know what do to. Can you think of anything?" I asked.

"Advertise?" 

"Yes!" I snapped my fingers. "But how?"

"Wear a huge bubble tea costume," he simply answered. I gave him a blank stare. 

"I'll look stupid! I'd appreciate it if you'd dress up though."

"No! That'll be embarrassing. Can you imagine a pretty boy like me wearing something like that?" he scoffed. 

"You didn't mind wearing a clown suit for your little cousin's birthday party last week," I muttered under my breath. 

"Hey! I told you never to bring that up again!" Baekhyun pointed the spoon at me. "I was forced to wear it."

"That smile painted on your face hid your huge frown pretty well," I laughed, earning a glare from him.

"You want to look like a rainbow? I'll get my paintball gun," he threatened.

"Help me!" I complained, returning to my problem. 

"Hand out free samples," Baekhyun suggested. My eyebrows rose at the idea. 

"But our store doesn't have enough food and other supplies to do that," I said, my shoulders slumped.

"Then just do what other businesses usually do. Hand out flyers."

That idea sounded good. It was a simple strategy and it worked most of the time.

 

♦ ♦ ♦ 

 

Next day:

Exiting the school library, I held the printed copies of the flyers I will be using to advertise my store. I had at least a hundred piled up. I entered the store and changed into my uniform. 

"Try our delicious bubble tea!" I grinned, giving a flyer to a girl. She took it without glancing at me. I pouted when she walked off. 

Determined, I kept a bright smile and continued passing out the flyers to random strangers. 

"We have all the flavors! You'll regret not giving it a try! You'll love it!"

I'm so bad at this.

A girl smiled at me and kindly accepted the paper but didn't go inside. 

It's been a half hour now and not a single customer walked in the store. This is harder than I thought.

Just then, a shadow casted over me. 

"Hey, Hyemi," Sehun smiled at me. "What are you doing out here?"

I noticed the rest of Exo-K behind him and they greeted me with a small wave.

"Hey, guys. I'm just trying to attract customers," I replied.

"Well you certainly attracted me," Sehun smirked. My sad face turned into a scowl.

"Just keep walking!" I pushed him. He let out a chuckle. 

"How's it going so far?" D.O asked. 

"Not so good. I haven't had a customer come in yet," I frowned. They took a flyer each and studied it. 

"It's so, um," Sehun cringed his nose, "colorful."

I printed each flyer in different coloured paper and the letters where in bold, bright colours. I had a picture of a bubble tea with eyes and a smile and it was surrounded with fruits. It was horrible.

"I rushed it," I snatched it from him in embarrassment.

"Well, do you need help handing them out?" Sehun asked. I looked up at him, surprised by his offer. 

"No, I can do it on my own," I held my head up high with confidence. At that moment, a group of pretty girls walked by and I approached them with excitement. 

"Try our delicious bubble tea! You'll be sure to love it!" I reached out with the flyer. 

One of them glanced at it and scoffed, "No, thanks."

They walked off before flipping their hair. I pouted again, helpless.

Before I could bring my hand back to my side, Sehun quickly grabbed the paper from my hold and jogged up to the girls. He cleared his throat and they turned around in curiosity. 

"Um, hello," Sehun the back of his neck out of shyness. It wasn't long before the girls' eyes sparkled at his handsome face.

"Hi," one girl bit her bottom lip before she responded, obviously smitten. 

"Have you been there before? I heard they serve amazing bubble tea," Sehun pointed at my store and handed her the flyer.

"Do you work there?" she asked with so much interest.

I saw Sehun narrow his eyes, his innocent appearance now completely overshadowed by his playboy charisma. 

"Now that I know you'll be there I think I just might want to," he replied. I gawked at what I was witnessing. 

WHAT A FLIRT.

The girls giggled, making me roll my eyes. Then the leader glanced over her shoulders.

"I think I'm in the mood for some bubble tea now. Let's go, girls," she winked at Sehun before entering the store. 

Sehun casually strode over to where I was, a knowing smile plastered on his face.

"I can't believe you find this so hard. It took me less than a minute to get their attention," he crossed his arms and gave me a smug look. My eye twitched. 

"They were girls and, and...look at you!" 

He chuckled, "Yeah, I know what you mean."

"I knew I wasn't the only one you act that way around with," I muttered under my breath.

"That was different. It was the only way to convince them. Wait a minute," Sehun's eyes narrowed again but this time it was out of suspicion. "Are you jealous?"

"Are you kidding me?! That's got to be the most stupidest question you've ever asked!" I slapped his arm. Unconvinced, he poked my cheek.

"You're so cute," he cooed.

"Don't! Thanks for your help. Now leave." 

Turning around, I noticed girls approaching Exo-K and the boys were happily directing them inside my store. 

"W-what?" my eyes widened. Just then, Suho ran up to me and removed all the flyers from my hands.

"We'll be needing these, Hyemi," he smiled sweetly. He returned to the boys and distributed it to them. More people began going inside. 

Sehun suddenly slung an arm over my shoulders.

"And you're calling me a flirt? Look at my hyungs," he clicked his tongue.

Observing them, I noticed that Kai was enjoying all the attention he was getting. Chanyeol showed his pearly whites which made all the girls' hearts around him melt. Baekhyun kept bringing them in with his charming eyes. D.O looked a bit shy, but I could tell he was loving the way girls were gazing at him.

My attention left the attractive boys when I felt being lightly pushed forward.

"You better go inside. Those bubble teas aren't going to make themselves," Sehun said. I smiled at him.

Before I ran in, I looked back at the boys. 

"Guys, I'm going to need your help. Baekhyun, D.O, and Suho, please come with me," I motioned them to come inside. "Sehun, Kai and Chanyeol, dont move and just...stay handsome."

They nodded with a grin.

"Okay, let's go!" the four of us went in. I widened my eyes at how crowded the place was. Business has never been this busy. 

The three boys went behind the counter and began serving the long line of customers. I hurriedly went in the kitchen to start making bubble teas. 

It's going to be a long day.