Competition

The Bubble Tea Store

 

There was soccer practice already taking place on the field when we arrived and all I did was just keep quiet and watch the players.

“Hyemi, I didn’t bring you here to stare at the athletes. You're creeping them out," Baekhyun joked, noticing me showing more interest in the soccer game than the conversation we were having about Sehun and me.

“Why did you even choose this place for us to talk? It's full of distractions,” I said.

“Because it was the closest place I could think of. Plus, the cheerleaders are going to start practicing soon.”

“You disgust me,” I shook my head.

“But seriously, what’s going on between you and Sehun? I can’t believe you didn’t tell me you guys are dating now!”

“First of all, we’re not dating,” I began.

“Wow, you’re already telling lies."

“I’m being honest! Sehun and I…we’re kind of just…I mean like…you know…he’s…ugh, I don’t even know where to start,” I struggled to explain.

I told Baekhyun what happened last night. He was attentive and showed eagerness the whole time I was speaking.

“What a night for you both,” Baekhyun said after I concluded.

“I don’t know what to do. Everything changed overnight. Nothing feels normal now,” I replied.

“Your relationship is definitely not the same anymore. Can you imagine life without Sehun if he leaves for New York?”

“I know,” I frowned, still saddened by the news. “I don’t want Sehun to go anywhere. Make him stay.”

Seeing how greatly affected I was by the news, Baekhyun placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. He paused momentarily, thinking of uplifting words to offer.

“You know, if Sehun does go to New York you could always follow him and live there too,” he suggested.

I groaned out of frustration.

“Hyemi, you need to lighten up. Sehun actually told me about him moving like two weeks ago and neither of us were thrilled about it. Just let it go for now until that day comes. Hopefully, it doesn’t.”

“Wait. You knew about this ages ago and you didn’t tell me?!” I looked at him, bewildered.

“Oh, was I supposed to tell you?” he said.

“You’re supposed to tell me everything!”

“I know right. My bad,” Baekyun stated.

I let out a sigh, “It doesn’t matter anymore. I’m just going to pretend like nothing happened and try to act as normal as possible.”

Baekhyun scoffed, “Sehun won’t be acting normal around you anymore, if you know what I mean. Get a room next time. ”

“Shut up!" I smacked his arm.

“But seriously though,” he continued. “I don’t know what the deal is between you guys and we don’t know if he’ll be leaving for sure, but try not to fall in love with him just yet, okay?”

I gave an awkward laugh, “W-What do you mean? I hate Sehun.”

Baekhyun and I stayed on the field a little longer just to talk. Suddenly, he let out a gasp, interrupting me mid-sentence.

"Stop talking! The cheerleaders are practicing now!" Baekhyun quickly silenced me with pure excitement on his face as the cheerleaders stepped on the field.

"If you're going to just drool over those girls then I might as well head back to class," I said.

"Alright, bye," he replied indifferently, making me roll my eyes.

I stood up and dusted my skirt. Just as I was about to turn and leave, a familiar face caught my eye in the distance. There, by the building at the opposite end of the field, was Sehun. He was accompanied by a girl who I didn't recognise. They were talking and laughing, enjoying each other's company.

"Hey, Baekhyun," I tapped on his shoulder. "Sehun's over there with someone. Do you know her?"

Baekhyun looked in their direction.

"I don't know," he also wondered. "I've never seen her before. Probably a new student."

The girl looked extremely gorgeous. There was no doubt that Sehun liked her already.

Sehun and the girl chatted away as they observed the field. I kept my eyes glued to Sehun, secretly hoping he'd notice me from all the way over here.

I sighed in disappointment when they started to walk away side by side. She continuously glanced over at Sehun, her smile never leaving her face. He mirrored her expression, looking equally as happy.

She walked in the school and just before Sehun followed behind her I noticed he stopped and took his phone out. Seconds later, my phone vibrated in my pocket. I received a text message:

If you're gonna skip class, you might as well skip it with me    -- Sehun
 

Confused, I looked back at Sehun. He was already looking at me with a smirk on his face.

"I don't even want to know what you guys will be doing when you go see him," Baekhyun spoke up, witnessing the whole encounter.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I replied.

"Oh, please. Look at you with that stupid smile on your face. You don't even try to hide it."

"Can I not smile?!"

"Whatever! Just don't have too much fun," he warned.


♦ ♦ ♦


The last customer exited the store when it reached eight o'clock. I untied my apron and hung it up on the wall. Just then, the door swung open.

"Oh, I'm sorry. We're closed," I said.

"Hi, I'd like speak to the owner please," a female's voice spoke.

My eyes widened in shock. The person who just walked in was the girl from school Sehun was with. Her long brown hair was tied back and a designer shoulder bag was hanging on her left shoulder. I looked at the pretty bouquet of flowers she was holding.

"H-Hi," I began.

"Is the owner here at the moment?" she asked again as she looked around.

"My parent's own the store. Can I help you?"

"My name is Choi Jieun. My father wanted to give these flowers to your parents," she delightfully handed the bouquet to me.

"Thanks! These are lovely. But what are they for?" I asked.

"Well, your parents already welcomed us this morning. My father and I recently moved in town. We own the cafe that just opened right across from your store," Jieun happily replied.

I stood there speechless.

Nooo!