Like or Don't Like

The Bubble Tea Store

 

[Sehun's POV]

Days passed and I've been noticing Hyemi's frequent interactions with the waiter. She'd be at the hotel restaurant in the morning for breakfast, in the afternoon for lunch, and sometimes in the evening for dinner. 

It bothered me. A lot. 

It was a brand new day and I was determined to have Hyemi all to myself.

I knocked on her door. "Hey, are you in there?"

The door swung open revealing her in shorts and a loose shirt, exposing her left shoulder.

"Can I help you?" she asked. 

"Want to go for a walk with me?" I asked.

"I can't. I already have plans."

"What are you going to do?"

"I'm staying downstairs," she simply replied.

Downstairs. Restaurant. 

"To look for me? You don't have to. I'm right here," I smirked. 

"Don't start!" she snapped.

Hyemi stepped out of her room and closed the door behind her. She gave me a light push when I didn't move back to give her space.

"Do you want my company?" I asked, hoping her answer would allow me to join her.

"Sorry, not today," she shook her head. 

"Well, too bad. I'm going anyway," I began walking to the elevator, but was stopped when she caught my wrist. She pulled me back slightly. 

"No, you're not," Hyemi said. 

"Really? Then where do you want to go? Your room or mine?" I asked, amused.

"Sehun, no!"

"So, you're really going to leave me?" I asked.

"Yes. Just for a short while. We're all going to hang out later anyway," Hyemi reminded. She let me go and began walking away. "See you later. Don't follow me!"

She disappeared behind the elevator doors. I saw her smile before she was completely out of my sight. I frowned, not hiding my disappointment any longer.

Sighing, I made my way to Baekhyun and Chanyeol's room which was located just across hers. 

"Hyemi decided to go downstairs," I bluntly said. Baekhyun looked up from his phone.

"Again?" he questioned. 

I carelessly sat on the chair opposite of him. I hung my head back and closed my eyes, picturing her flirting with the waiter. She just had to have a gorgeous face and a fun personality, didn't she?

"Why did she have to come to Jeju Island?" I groaned, attempting to erase the scene from my mind.

"Relax, okay? I don't think she even likes him," he assured.  

"Yeah, right. She's there all the time."

Baekhyun also knew where Hyemi would be when we couldn't find her, learning about her and the waiter by observing them secretly.

"She would've told me if she liked anyone because, duh, I'm her best friend," he said in an obvious tone.

"Have you even asked her if she liked him?" I questioned. 

His assumption wasn't enough to put me at ease. I wanted a clear answer as to whether or not she was really crushing on that waiter. 

"Yeah, I asked once," Baekhyun responded with a nodd. 

"And what did she say?" I raised an eyebrow, eager to know. 

"She said she didn't know, and that she probably doesn't."

"Probably?" I frowned. So, there was a half chance she did like him. 

"She also said he's just nice to talk to," he continued. 

"I'm always here if she wants to talk," I said. 

"Me too."

"No, you're not."

"I said I'm her best friend! If you're really bothered about it then just ask her yourself."

"Okay, I'll ask her," I abruptly got on my feet.

"Good for you," Baekhyun nodded sharply. I began leaving the room in a hurry, but before I shut the door behind me, I heard him shout, "Wait! Bring me a sandwich when you come back!"

I pressed the elevator button impatiently until it reached the floor. When I went inside, I watched the light of the buttons blink as it counted down. My nervousness increased each time I descended to a level, just thinking about her answer.

If she replies with a yes –– that she does like him –– then I can't do anything about it. I'd be heartbroken, but I'll be happy for her. If she replies with a no, then...I don't know. Maybe I'll find myself unintentionally giving free hugs to random strangers to express my happiness, or climb the highest hilltop and shower the island with confetti or something. 

My point is that I'd accept her decision no matter what. 

I inhaled deeply when I arrived at the hotel lobby. There was no turning back now.

 

[Hyemi's POV]

Myungsoo and I secluded ourselves from the other hotel guests having lunch. Resting my chin on my palm, I watched as he neatly folded serviettes. I was thankful that Baekhyun accidently spilled his drink on the floor when he tried to dodge the food Kai was throwing at him on our first day, or else Myungsoo and I wouldn't have had the chance to officially meet.

We continued where we left off with our conversation last night, about the girl he was secretly in love with. Her name was Haneul. He met her months ago. 

Surprisingly, when he opened up to me about his love life, I didn't take it too hard. I didn't feel my heart drop or tear into millions of pieces when I heard that he already had a special someone. Considering I just met him only two days ago, I was relieved that it turned out like this.

It interested me to know what ran inside a boy's mind when they go through something like this.

"So, have you confessed to her yet?" I asked curiously. It was still a bit of a challenge for me to not stare at him too much. 

"I try to, but I get nervous every time," he pursed his lip. "One time, on Valentine's Day, I was planning on giving her a rose I grew from my garden, but when I got to her I saw her already carrying boxes of chocolate and lovely flower bouquets. She was surrounded by boys. So, I didn't confess that day."

I felt my heart flutter at his story. "Oh my god, you grew the rose just for her? That's so sweet. You still gave it to her, right?!"

Myungsoo lightly chuckled before he shook his head.

I pouted, "What?!"

"Well, not at that moment. I went over to her house that night and then gave it to her. You have no idea how my heart was feeling when she told me that it was the best Valentine's Day gift she had ever gotten." 

I squealed very loudly.

"That would've been the perfect moment to tell her," I said, making him frown. 

"I know. I might see her this weekend. Maybe I'll get it right this time."

"Let me know how it turns out, okay?" I made him promise.

"Of course. Anyway, what about you? Have you ever confessed to anyone?" he asked. I nodded.

"My first crush was in middle school. I finally had the courage to tell him one day," I shared. 

"And then what happened?"

"He became my boyfriend," I grinned

Myungsoo chuckled, "I see."

"We went out for two years, but we had to break up because he had to move to America," I continued, fidgeting with a serviette. 

"When did you last see him?" he asked. 

"Um," I blinked as I tried to remember. "I haven't seen him since the day he left."

"Oh," he slowly nodded. "Do you miss him?" 

"I think about him once in a while."

"I've never been in a real relationship. It must be nice," he said, putting the finished serviettes in a pile and began folding different colored ones. 

"It is. I haven't been in one in a while though. I forgot what it feels like to be in love," I responded. 

"You don't like anyone right now?" he titled his head in curiosity. I just stared at him as I questioned myself. 

"No," I answered.

"Well, is there a person liking you at the moment?"

I stared at him again. "Not that I know of."

He chuckled again, "I see."

A figure in the distance behind him suddenly caught my eye. Sehun was observing us near the entrance of the restaurant. I gave him a small wave, in which he gave me a smile in return. He then began approaching me, maneuvering between the tables.

"Didn't I tell you not to follow me?" I told him. He and Myungsoo exchanged a friendly smile. 

"I wasn't following you," he stood behind my chair. "I just wanted to ask you a quick question."

"What is it?" I asked as I wrinkled the serviette in my hand. I glanced at Sehun when he didn't answer. 

"Wait," he blinked a few times. "I forgot now."

I rolled my eyes. 

"So, what are you doing?" he changed the subject. 

"Just helping Myungsoo," I smiled. 

"Actually, I'm done now," Myungsoo announced. "Thanks for your help, Hyemi."

"You're welcome!" I replied. "I didn't do anything though."

"I'm going in the kitchen. Do you want anything to eat?" he asked Sehun and I.

"Well," I quickly looked at Sehun. 

"Just bring us anything," Sehun kindly said.

"Sure. I won't be long," Myungsoo bowed before walking away. Sehun stole Myungsoo's seat and narrowed his eyes at me. 

"What?" I asked, confused. 

"I'm sensing something."

"What?" I asked again.

Sehun leaned forward, "Do you like him?"

"You don't need to know," I waved a hand.

"Yes, I do. It's an easy question."

"Which you don't need an answer to."

"You do, don't you?"

I just shrugged, refusing to answer. "It's really none of your business."

"I'm just curious. You've been spending a lot of time with him," Sehun said. 

I nodded, "Just to talk."

"And?"

"Nothing else." 

"So, you don't like him?"

I sighed heavily. "It doesn't matter. It's not like I'm staying here forever."

"I still want to know," Sehun pushed on.

"What if I do like him?"

"So, that's a yes?" his eyes widened. 

"No, I didn't say that!" I corrected. 

"You were implying it."

"I wasn't!"

"Hyemi, how hard is it to say you like or don't like a person?" Sehun continued. 

"Quite simple actually."

"Then just say yes or no."

This time it was my turn to lean in. 

"No, I don't like Myungsoo, okay?" I responded truthfully. Sehun scoffed. 

"Yeah, right. You so do," he turned his head away. 

This conversation was going nowhere.

"You're annoying me! I'm leaving," I stood up. 

"Wait!" he quickly said, gesturing me to sit back down. "Just look me in the eyes and tell me the truth."

Placing both of my hands on the table, I leaned in for the final time. 

"No, I do not like him," I spoke loud and clear, staring into his eyes. 

Sehun broke off our eye-contact.

"Stop grinning like an idiot," I told him.

"I can't because I just heard great news!"

"So, can you leave me alone now?"

"No, because we're waiting for our lunch. Maybe the waiter can bring us a pocky stick and we can share it."

I hit my forehead on the table, having enough. I'm not going to survive this lunch.