Your Hands

Your Hands

Fat palms, thick fingers, crooked nails. Ugly hands. I can't remember when i started to hate my hands.

It was probably when i was twelve and got my first girlfriend. Small palms, long fingers, slender nails. Such pretty hands. Beautiful hands that looked so wrong when attatched to mine.

It was Hyunseung who told me to start wearing rings. Big rings, small rings, intricate or plain. Anything was an improvement. Then, after a while, i started wearing bracelets too. My hands looked better that way, hidden by pretty decorations. But it still wasn't enough. I remember my first serious girlfriend, Goo Hara. I'd never seen scuh beautiful hands. It almost hurt to see those delicate fingers wrapped around my blunt ones. And when I touched her, rough callouses against soft skin, It just felt wrong. Like any minute i would shatter her into a million pieces.

It was probably about a year after her that i met you. I had spent the night at Hyunseung's apartment because mine had flooded... again. It was almost five in the morning when you knocked on the door. I don't remember What Hyuseung was doing, why i was the one who answered. All I remember is the door swinging back to reveal beautiful hands covering a crying face.

I soon learned that you cry a lot, about anything. The bird that hit the window, the broken washing machine, the milk that literally spilled all over the carpet.... Your family.

I didn't mind though. That only ment I got to hold your beautiful hands in mine, wipe your crystal tears with my blunt fingers. The day that you came to my door instead of Hyunseung's, face swollen, eyes red, was one of the best days of my life.  It's strange the way that seeing our hands bound together made me like mine just a little bit more. Do you remember when I jokingly told you i thought my hands were ugly without rings? You looked like I had personally insulted you.

"I love your hands."

Four words. That's all it took to make me start noticing. How your long fingers fit perfectly in between my short ones. How my fat palm is just the right size to cup the side of your face. How my crooked nails are ideal for sweeping straight hairs off your forhead...

How beautiful our hands look wound together on top of our pillow.

I love my hands. Love the feeling of your warm lips against my knuckles, love how perfectly your small face fits inside them, love how easily they make you laugh with just a playful touch. I don't need the rings or the bracelets, or any of those concealing decorations. The only ring i wear now is that small, silver badn on the third finger of my left hand. The one that matches with yours.

 

Incredably short but i wrote the entire thing on the metro and thought it was kind of sweet. Hope you liked it ^^