One Shot!

[ONESHOT] Easy

 

“Baekhyun!” You called out to your boyfriend, whose back was to you.

“Baby!” He turned around and started waving both arms in the air.

His friend, Chanyeol, clamped a hand down on his head and spoke to him. You watched as Baekhyun glared at him and his hand went to his hair. Baekhyun must have mumbled something because you heard Chanyeol’s barking laughter next. When you finally reached the two, you helped Baekhyun get his hair in place.

“Thank you,” he said, sending you a grateful look.

“Chanyeol,” you said, putting your hands on your hips. “Only I’m allowed to touch Baekhyunnie’s hair.”

Chanyeol gave you a mock salute, “Yes Ma’am!” while grinning all the while.

“I wish you’d listen to me that well,” Baekhyun sulked.

“Stop your griping and spend time with your girlfriend,” Chanyeol gave Baekhyun a friendly push.

“Bye Chanyeol!” You called out as you separated.

“So, my princess of the suburbs, what do you want to do?” Baekhyun asked, pulling your hand to the crook of his arm. He was always such a gentleman.

“Mmm,” You chewed your lip in contemplation. “I don’t care what we do; I just want to be with you.”

Baekhyun placed a tender kiss on the top of your head. “It’ll have to be some where's with not a lot of people because if they see you acting this cute, someone will try to steal you from me.”

You flushed at the compliment. “Where should we go then?”

“How about... there!” Baekhyun pointed at a bakery, remembering your weakness for pastries.

You pouted, “Baekhyunnie, you’re going to make me fat.”

“No way!” he immediately denied “I just don’t like when your cheeks are gaunt. I like adorable chubby cheeks that I can poke at.”

You puffed your cheeks out at him and Baekhyun poked them with a finger. When all the air went out, you shared a laugh. It was just that easy with Baekhyun.

When you first met him, you had been instantly drawn to him with his happy aura. He was always laughing and joking with Chanyeol, which made him friendly in your eyes. He was popular with the girls too but he was never cocky about it like most boys. He always had a smile and kind eyes when any girl confessed to him. That’s why you had been so intimidated at first. He had said no to so many girls, what would make you any different?

So, you held off, watching Baekhyun from the side lines. If you passed him in the hallway at school he’d say a polite hi or in class he was happy to let you borrow a pen. But you never had any personal interactions with him.

One day, you decided to spend a whole day making cupcakes for Baekhyun. Even if he didn’t know it was you, it made you happy to give him something. You patiently even put B’s on each one. You came early to school, to put it on his desk before he got there. You placed the case down, having already stuck a note on it saying “For Baekhyun. May you always have a reason to smile brightly”. The last touch was a kiss on the note. Baekhyun came into the classroom just as you were doing so.

“Ah, Baekhyun, I was just...”

“Is that for me?” Baekhyun inquired, moving to his desk to open the parcel. He gasped at the sight of the cupcakes. “These smell wonderful!” he said, sending you a warm smile.

You weren’t able to say anything in response because you were so spell-bound that his wonderful smile was directed towards you. Baekhyun’s eyes softened at your stunned expression and reached for two cupcakes. “Do you want to eat one with me?” he said while offering you one of the cupcakes.

You nodded shyly, taking the cupcake and removing the wrapper. You did, however, wait until he bit into his and let out a loud “Mmm!” You pressed a smile down and bit into yours. They were indeed delicious.

Baekhyun finished eating his cupcake and swiped the side of his mouth with his tongue to get the last of the frosting. “I don’t think anyone has made something so yummy for me!”

You ducked your head down, still embarrassed at being caught. Baekhyun tilted his head curiously ‘You are able to speak, right?”

“Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry! I must seem like I’m being rude but I’m really just so happy you enjoyed them and—” You brought both hands to your mouth to stop your outburst.

Baekhyun’s eyes went wide at your rambling but broke into a laugh. “It’s okay, really!” Your note caught his eye and he moved his lips as he read it silently. A gentle smile tugged his lips. “You gave me a reason to smile today.”

“I’m glad,” You found yourself smiling in response.

“Hey Baekhyun, what are you doing?! Kyungsoo’s waiting to—oh hi!” Chanyeol noisily barged into the room but stopped abruptly when he caught sight of you. “Do I smell—is that cupcakes?”

“______ made them for me—hey, Chanyeol, get your—” Baekhyun didn’t bother to continue as Chanyeol shoved an entire cupcake in his mouth and chewed vigorously. With one gulp, he swallowed it successfully.

“What?” He asked because you and Baekhyun were blatantly staring at him.

You started to giggle. You couldn’t help it; the whole situation was straight out of an anime. Gradually, Chanyeol grinned and Baekhyun began to chuckle as well.

“Did you make these yourself?” Chanyeol asked.

“I made them especially for Baekhyunnie...”

“They’re good. You should keep this girl,” said Chanyeol, making a grab for another cupcake and making you blush.

“Stop eating them all, they are mine after all!” scolded Baekhyun.

“But Baekhyunnie, I thought I was your best friend?” Chanyeol made his voice high to imitate a girls and teasing him with your pet-suffix you had added.

“Okay, we’re leaving now before you embarrass me further,” Baekhyun pushed Chanyeol with the cupcakes out of the classroom.

“See you later, _____,” Chanyeol called over his shoulder.

It was from that one moment your relationship grew. One day, Baekhyun asked you to sit and eat lunch with him and Chanyeol. And before you knew it, it was the three of you all the time. You joked around during class, hung out after school; it was like a dream come true, you saw Baekhyun’s beautiful smile every day up close. But with the pros came the cons. Because you were around Baekhyun more, you were subject to witnessing all the girls confess to him and accept gifts.

You were particularly depressed one day when a girl had given Baekhyun a cake that looked like a professional chef had cooked it. It put your cupcakes to shame. Chanyeol must have noticed your down-in-the-dumps mood, because he came over and brought an arm around your shoulder.

“She probably got her personal cook to make it. Don’t worry, Baekhyun knows yours was homemade and baked with love,” Chanyeol assured you.

“You think?” You allowed yourself a moment of hope before coming to the conclusion Chanyeol had you figured out. “I mean, that was just a gift. It didn’t mean anything special.”

Chanyeol gave you an exasperated look. “Come on, ______. I see you make doe-eyes at Baekhyun everyday when you think he’s not looking at you. I know.”

You let out a sigh, puffing your hair out of your face. “Is it really that obvious? I hope it’s not bothering Baekhyunnie.”

“Baekhyunnie is completely oblivious, _______. But tell me when you’re going to confess because if you’re going to make them cupcakes again, I want some!” Chanyeol grinned.

“Oh no, I couldn’t possibly—I’m just happy to be by his side,” You found yourself starring at Baekhyun again. He and the girl were chatting, looking at the perfect couple.

Chanyeol nudged you in the ribs with his elbow. “You’re doing it again.”

“Sorry!” You squeaked.

“You’d be good for him, you know,” Chanyeol murmured. “I think you’d be the first person he’d actually say yes to.”

You turned to Chanyeol, “Really?”

“As soon as you gave him those cupcakes, I was immediately informed that you were off limits,” Chanyeol winked at you.

“Oh...”

Baekhyun finally came over, having finished talking to the girl. “What are you two talking about?”

“Actually—”

You jumped on Chanyeol to make sure he didn’t tell your secret. “Chanyeol just wanted to know when I was going to make him some cupcakes.”

Baekhyun eyed Chanyeol. “I thought I told you to leave off on that. _______ only makes them for me, right?” Baekhyun smiled, assured you’d agree.

“Y-yes,” You still stuttered when that smile was focused on you.

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “Just get it over with and become a couple.” Chanyeol’s eyes went wide at the realization of what he just said.

Your sharp intake of breath was audible and Baekhyun scowled at Chanyeol. “Chanyeol! You and your big mouth. You’ll make ______ uncomfortable saying things like that.”

“No, he wouldn’t,” You said softly.

“What?”

“Didn’t you just say—”

“Baekhyunnie, I like you.”

“I like you too—”

“Not like a friend, you dummy.”

“Chanyeol!”

“Sorry...”

“You like like me?” You couldn’t gage if Baekhyun was good or bad surprised.

You nodded, staring at your feet. This was it. You were trusting  Chanyeol’s inside tip, but your palms were sweating suddenly and your mouth went dry. The silence was practically suffocating as Baekhyun was deep in thought.

“Well, I like you too.”

At the sound of those words, you felt tears well up and you fought with your lip to not tremble. It was over-whelming to know the one person you cared about liked you back.

“I told you so,” said Chanyeol, smug in his ability to guess things right.

“______?” Baekhyun called your name and you slowly raised your head to meet his inquiring eyes.

“Yes?” You sniffed a bit but that only seem to endear you to Baekhyun more. He swept you up in hug so tight that you felt the comforting Baekhyun was trying to get across to you.

“I don’t like to see you cry. Will you go out with me so I’ll truly have a reason to smile everyday?” Baekhyun whispered into your ear.

“I’m going to go see if that girl would like to bake a cake for me,” piped up Chanyeol, wanting to give you two some space.

The tears came unbidden. You couldn’t help it. Baekhyun released you from his hug but brought your chin up so you couldn’t hide your face anymore. “That was supposed to make you happy not more sad. _______, go out with me!”

A cross between a sob and a laugh escaped your lips. Was it just that easy? “I would love to be your girlfriend.”

“Phew!” Baekhyun fanned himself. “You had me worried you were going to say no! Now I know how those poor girls feel when they confess to me!”

You giggled at Baekhyun’s silliness.

“There you are!” Baekhyun cupped your face and made sure to meet your eyes. “From now on, you’re mine. So you better forget about making any baked goods for anyone else!”

And you never did. It was two years later, and you still made Baekhyun cupcakes on your anniversary, at his insistence. Maybe Chanyeol’s too, but you kept that a secret.

After having stuffed you with as many pastries as Baekhyun could manage, the two of you ended up defaulting to your house, lying on the couch, just watching TV. Like always, you fell asleep in Baekhyun’s arms, face pressed up against his chest, content to be exactly where you were.

“_______, wake up,” Baekhyun said quietly. Your eyes fluttered open, seeing the informercials playing. “Give me a kiss so I can go home.”

“No,” You said, snuggling closer to him. “Stay.”

“But ________, it’s getting late.”

You turned your head upwards and rubbed at an eye. “I want to fall asleep to you singing just once and then I want to wake up to your smile. Please?”

“You make it sound so easy,” said Baekhyun, settling down and tucking you back under his arm.

You close your eyes, already getting sleepy again. “With you, everything is easy.”

Baekhyun’s melodic crooning lulled you to sleep and you knew you were falling asleep with a smile on your face.