♬ We Got Each Other ♬

♬ For Reel Or For Real? ♬
 
We Got Each Other
 
 
 
 
 

"Nan gwenchanayeo... Cheongmal gwenchanayeo..."

 

She was trying to console herself but tears started streaming from her eyes as she was sitting on the floor hugging her legs and resting her head on her knees.

She closed her eyes and everything flashed back to her.

 

"This is it...."

 

"Lee Jieun-ssi?" one of the panel judges asked her.

"Ne!" she nervously answered.

"Are you ready for your audition?" the panel member asked her.

"Ne. I think I am. I can begin whenever you're ready." she shyly told everyone as she reached for her guitar behind her positioning it in front to get ready for her performance.

"You may now give your CD to Miss Kwon." the judge instructed her.

"I wish to sing with my guitar. I didn't come with a cd." she answered him.

"I'm sorry but you must've been unaware, but the first stage of this audition is to sing using a minus one. Singing with guitar accompaniment can be done once you're able to go through till the last stage of the process which will allow anyone to do whatever they want to showcase their talents." the judge explained to Jieun.

"Ne?" she said with a shocked tone. "But I didn't prepare a CD..." she lowered her head in embarrassment.

"Will I be eliminated as early as now without even trying?" she sadly thought.

"Gwenchanayeo, Lee Jieun-ssi. We can let you choose from the songs prepared by our team. But we cannot assure you that the song you originally prepared will be one of them. We'll give you time to rehearse if you won't find any song you knew. Is that alright with you?" the kind judge offered.

"Ne?" she again got shocked because of the chance given to her. Realizing this she suddenly felt hope that uplifted her falling confidence. "Ne!" she said to the panel.

She then went to the sound room to choose her song, hesitant she may be but she's determined enough to give it a try.

 

********************
 
 
 
 
 

She didn't make it. She was eliminated right after she sang the song she selected during the initial screening.

"Lee Jieun-ssi, although you got real good voice and your pitch is perfect, most of us think that you're not yet ready for this..." the panel's speaker told her.

She looked down to her feet and her ears were ringing.

She had told herself that she shouldn't feel too bad since she's here for the sake of just trying it and after giving in to Luna's cajoling. But the pain of rejection didn't escape her, especially now that she's getting it and facing its reality.

"We aren't accepting you not because we think you're not qualified because you really are. But because there are more participants who came here who wanted it more than you do... And we know that you knew what we meant." he continued saying as he was looking at the sad girl.

"We were so surprised that you learned the song you chose from our prepared ones so fast and gave a very good rendition of it. That's a very rare talent, but behind your beautiful voice, we were looking for fire. Yours just started flaring up while most were already ardently bursting... " he said leaving Jieun to look up to check the judges' faces, seeing them nod in agreement.

"We believe that you're going to make it big, but you must come prepared and work for it. You're still young, and we know that we're going to hear from you soon..." the speaker said meaningfully.

She felt she couldn't say anything anymore. It's hurting her but she understood everything. She bowed down and closed her eyes.

"Kamsahamnida! It's an honor that I got to audition for your company. Cheongmal kamsahamnida!" she answered and made her way out of the audition room.

"I wish Luna's here." she thought for she's still sad over what happened although she's accepted the fact already. She couldn't help it. She needed a friend now. She wanted to call Luna She wasn't able to go with her for she suddenly fell ill. She decided against what she wanted to do, especially after considering the possibility that she might disturb whatever she's doing now.

She hugged her legs tighter not oblivious to the things around her.

She hid in one of the deserted hallway which was far from the audition room so as no one will see her. She was lost with her retrospection, that she didn't hear the sound of footsteps approaching her direction.

 

 
********************
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

"Yes! I did it!"

 

He shouted punching his fist to the air.

He got through to the initial part of the audition process. He looked around instinctively searching for a face whom he wanted to share his happiness with.

He searched around and everywhere just to look for her but he couldn't find her. He didn't know but for some reasons he wanted to tell her the news.

He then found himself in an empty hallway. There, he saw a girl sitting and hugging her knees as she was sobbing. The sight broke his heart.

"Jieuna?" he thought. His eyes diverted to the familiar guitar case beside her confirming his guess.

He ran to her and bent down to touch her shoulder.

Jieun looked up to find out who was able to discover her hiding place and found Wooyoung in front her.

"Jieuna, gwenchanayeo?" Wooyoung asked her as soon as she looked up. Tears rolled down her face and he felt so bad seeing that.

"Wooyoung-ssi... Na.. Nan gwenchanayeo. I... I'm just..." she couldn't stop from stuttering preventing her to tell him any further.

For whatever reason, seeing her desperate face he pulled her to a hug and let her cry in his embrace.

As soon as Jieun was in his arms, telling her that he's sympathizing to whatever she's going through, she couldn't help but let it all out. She cried hard letting her tears wet Wooyoung's shirt. She let him her back which made her feel that everything will be okay.

Wooyoung held her in his arms. He wanted to tell her something but he couldn't put it to words. He just stayed there quietly letting her cry till her sobs subsided.

He then felt her moving away from his embrace and faced him.

"I'm really okay now... I'm sorry I drenched your shirt. This is so embarrassing..." she said and avoided his eyes.

"Why are you crying? Did anyone hurt you? Did you hurt yourself?" he asked as he tried to check her body looking for any possible injury.

She looked down and shook her head telling him that he didn't say anything close to what really happened to her.

He sighed in relief after seeing that. He felt better now he knew that she's not injured physically.

"Kunde, why are you sad?" he asked her wrinkling his forehead.

"I didn't make it..." she said then bit her trembling lower lip so as to prevent herself from crying again.

Hearing this made Wooyoung wanting to smack himself. He was about to tell her how happy he was being able to get in while here she was crying after being rejected. He's been so selfish just thinking about himself only.

He couldn't let her continue feeling bad because of this. He had to cheer her up. Seeing her sad made him sadder.

"Mwo?! They didn't see how great you are? That's ridiculous! They must be blind and deaf people!" he ranted and fell back letting himself sat on the floor with her.

Seeing Wooyoung's exaggerated reaction made Jieun smiled a little.

"How did you know that I'm good when you haven't heard me yet?" she asked him.

"Looking at you, you seemed to be good at what you do." he sincerely responded and returned her smile.

Catching her smile inspired Wooyoung to go further even if it would mean that he needed to make a fool out of himself. He reached for his pocket and took his handkerchief and handed it to her so as she can wipe her face but changed his mind. He gently wiped the tear off her face.

Jieun was caught off guard but he let him anyway. She didn't know why but she's not uncomfortable at all with him around.

Finishing what he's doing, he looked at her intently and smiled at her.

"Kamsahamnida. Somehow, I feel better now." she honestly told him.

"I couldn't believe what happened. Can you pinch me please?" he comically asked her.

"Don't tell me that they'd rather have someone who's pretty to the bones but has no talent at all, mimicking all these girl groups with no own identity? Not that I meant you're not pretty, araso? He said right away so as not to offend her. "Because you are, really..." that part he just said in his mind that caused him to blush and pout. He was unaware that he's making a funny face.

This time she could no longer hold her laughter. She laughed so loud filling the entire hallway.

"Am I dreaming? She's beautiful as she is but when she laughs I couldn't ask for more..." he thought. "Chebal, don't be sad anymore..." he silently wished.

"It's just that there are a lot of wannabes who are not even talented..." he added so as not to let her see him blushing.

"Let me have your hankie and wash it for you..." she said as she placed her hand in front of Wooyoung asking him to give her his handkerchief. She didn't realize that they might not actually see each other again after this.

"Ani, gwenchanayeo." he said and quickly pocketed his handkerchief.

They stayed quiet for awhile. They both felt that they needed the silence, not because of awkwardness, but because they just didn't need to say anything at the moment to enjoy it.

And then she broke the silence.

"I can't be like those idols. They're too pretty and y, and I'm not. I can't even dance as good as them..." she said and giggled as she tried picturing herself dancing like an idol and tripping as she tried real hard to copy them.

"Talent isn't all about being pretty and all that. It's more than that... Quit looking down on yourself. Let me see what you can do. Can I have the honor to hear you sing your song?" he tried his luck. He knew she gets nervous easily but he needed to make her understand that he's here to be her source of confidence. She might be someone he got to know just now but it seemed like he'd known her for a long time.

She fidgeted again which he recognized as her habit when she's being nervous.

"If you will sing for me I'll show you my audition piece." he gambled so as he could persuade her.

She took a deep breath, grabbed her guitar and before she started plucking its strings she looked up to his eyes.

"Promise me that after I sing to you you're going to give me an honest evaluation, yakseo?" she asked.

"Arachi! But promise me one thing, too..." he answered.

"Mogayeo?" she wondered what it could be.

"Promise me that you will call me oppa, arachi?" he said lightly.

She giggled a little after realizing what he wanted.

"Araso!" she beamed.

She then started singing her song.

 
Neol gidarida honja saenggakhaesseo
Tteonagan neon jigeum neomu apa
Dasi naegero doraol gil wie ulgo itdago
 
"She's so mesmerizing... her voice... Are they kidding me?" he thought not realizing that this was the same thing he said in his dream.
 
He couldn't believe that he's hearing this. Her voice was so unique and had depths that could melt even a heart of stone. What were the judges thinking not getting her through to the next round.
 

Neol baraboda mundeuk saenggakhaesseo
Eoneunal haneuri balgajimyeon
Machi tteonatdeon nalcheoreom gamanhi neoneun naege ogetji
Nae ape inneun neo

Nega dasi nareul bol sun eobseulkka
Neoui du nun soge naneun eopgo

Iksukhaejin sonjitgwa anggeumgateun misoman
Huimihage namaseo nareul ulge hajiman
Neoneun dasi naege doraolgeoya
Neoui mami dasi nal bureumyeon
Jujeomalgo dorawa ne nunapui nae aneuro
Yejeoncheoreom neol anajulteni

Neol baraboda mundeuk saenggakhaesseo
Eoneunal haneuri balgajimyeon
Machi tteonatdeon nalcheoreom gamanhi neoneun naege ogetji
Nae ape inneun neo

 

Jieun still feeling the sadness didn't realize that she's singing with more feelings.
 

Nega dasi nareul bol sun eobseulkka
Neoui du nun soge naneun eopgo

Iksukhaejin sonjitgwa anggeumgateun misoman
Huimihage namaseo nareul ulge hajiman
Neoneun dasi naege doraolgeoya
Neoui mami dasi nal bureumyeon
Jujeomalgo dorawa ne nunapui nae aneuro
Yejeoncheoreom neol anajulteni

 

She strummed the strings beautifully until the song ended.

She didn't look at him right away because she's so embarrassed of singing in front of him. She kept her gaze to her guitar but she was not hearing anything so she suddenly looked at him.

"Norae, ottoengayeo, Wooyoung o-Oppa?" she asked shyly using the word he asked her to call him.

Hearing her calling him Oppa made him snapped out of his daydreaming and looked at her.

"Oh? Oh..."

"Are you sure you haven't been signed as one of a company's singer? You sure you haven't recorded any album yet?" he asked covering up his awkwardness.

For some reason, hearing her calling him that made his heart beat faster.

She punched him lightly on his arm thinking that he's still trying to make her feel better.

"Hajimayeo! I feel a lot better already, cheongmalyeo!" Jieun added shyly.

"But I'm just being honest. You're amazing! Why they didn't see it?" he said incredulously.

"I don't feel any resentment towards their decision. I understand everything now. It doesn't necessarily mean that I have to go through what an idol must go through so as I get to understand them. I just only need to feel the same, if not much more, passion as what an idol must have to be able to qualify and be deserving to become one." she said smiling to him.

He couldn't agree more. He admired her even more for her maturity which is not common for people as young as her.

He was about to say something but someone came running.

"Jang Wooyoung-ssi? They've been looking for you. The second round of the audition was about to commence. You better hurry for they're already calling out names." the staff told them while catching his breath.

He sadly looked at Jieun pouting. She gave him an okay sign using her right hand that made him smile and returned the gesture.

He stood up and started walking away. Realizing something he suddenly turned around to Jieun and grabbed her hand pulling her up surprising her.

"I promised I will dance for you, remember? C'mon! Please come with me and support me, will you? Can you stay with me till I finish the entire audition?" he begged her.

Still not believing he'd ask her, her head nodded as if it has a mind of it's own signaling Wooyoung that he had her permission to lead her to the audition room. He grabbed her guitar and carried it for her using his other free hand and the other one held her hand tightly.

"I know I will make it!" he said to himself now that he had a great support system with him. His parents in his heart and Jieun beside him.

 
 
********************

 

 

UP NEXT!

Chapter 6: ♬ The Great Swap ♬