Final

The Doll Master

Centuries ago, on the tiny island of Jeju, there lived a man. He was a unique man, with special powers- he was the only vampire in known existence. He had enchanted dolls as his servants, his only companions. But he was a normal man as well- he was greedy, impatient and tempered. One night, a young maiden had asked to stay for the night, after Jeju was struck with a monsoon.
“Please sir, just one day.”
“I can’t. I’m sorry but you have to leave.”
“You have such a cold heart. I can sense it within you.” She chanted a curse under her breath and watched him transform.
“Wh-what did you do to me!?”
“You’re a monster now. Something that matches your true soul. You will be able to change back… for a while. When it is nightfall and the moon is out, you will revert to your old form.” She layed a death rose, a black rose tinted with red that was encased in glass.
“When the sun rises on your 24th birthday, this death rose will wilt, therefore killing you. The only way to save yourself is to find true love and have true love’s kiss. Someone who will cherish you truly. Goodbye.”  She disappeared into the night, an evil cackle echoing in his mansion.
~~~~~~~~~~
“Uncle Kangin! I’m going to the market!” A bright and cheerful boy screamed from the path.
“Arasso! Be careful Sungmin!”
“I will!” He grinned and strolled into the market, a busy and hectic part of his village.
“Annyeong Sungmin-ssi!”
“Annyeong Mr. Kim!” He waved at the baker, who was pulling out a tray of bread. He walked along the street humming along.
“Beautiful day, hmm Sungmin?”
“It is, Mrs. Choi!” He cheerily replied, walking towards a music shop.
“Ah Sungmin! How was that piece I lent you yesterday?”
“It was great Jungsu hyung! I wanted to get another one.” He got down from the stepper he was now on.
“What are you looking for?”
“I want a soft piece, something that you can sing along with, like a love song.” He nodded and shifted through the racks.
“You’ve been asking for a lot of those recently…. Anyone special?”
“Ani!” Sungmin shook his head in retort. Jungsu laughed and handed a few papers. “Here. It’s a classic. Keep it.”
“What? You don’t have to hyung!” He smiled and gave it to him.
“But I want to give it to you.”
 Sungmin smiled and nodded. “Goodbye Jungsu hyung!”
He decided to sit at the town park and read the notes of the piece. He hummed the tune under his breath, closing his eyes and listening to the soothing melody.
“Do you see him over there?”
“Of course I do Siwon.”
“I want to make him mine.” The other man looked up.
“Are you crazy? His uncle would rip you to shreds.”
“Quiet Heechul. I know what I’m doing. He’s a loon anyways, the war took a toll on him.”
“Good morning Sungmin hyung.”
“Oh hi Siwon. What’s up?”
“Nothing much… anything up with you?” He started inching closer, as Sungmin inched farther away.
“I’m okay, thanks.” He stood up and waved bye.
“Well that went well.” Heechul rolled his eyes and laughed.
“Quiet hyung.” He laughed and patted Siwon’s back.
“Don’t worry cassanova, Sungmin won’t go anywhere. You can keep trying.” He started laughing harder.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Uncle! I’m back!” He saw a puff of smoke and immediately ran in. “Yah uncle! What did I say about making bombs in the lab?”
“Sorry…” His uncle grinned and had his hand to his head.
“Are you going to the reunion later?”
“Of course I am! I’m going to get to see my old buddies. I want you to be careful while I’m gone, arasso?”
“Neh uncle, I understand!” Sungmin grinned as Kangin patted his head.
He watched as his uncle pulled his trusty duffel over his back and jumped onto his horse. Sungmin waved and bit his lip in concern as he watched his uncle ride off.
~~~~~~~~
“Aigoo….. did I get lost already?” He looked down at the map and back at the crossroad. He was in the middle of the thick forest, near the hills.
“The sign’s faded…… which way was it again?” He scratched his head. “Aigoo Maa! Why are you acting out?” He saw the horse whine and jump up suddenly. There were wolves that were in the proximity, close to the horse. Kangin held tight as the horse had pulled him all the way to a steeple, throwing him over the gate, stuck there in the cold.
He knocked on the tall door, gasping at how large it is. “Is anyone here?” He noticed the door was slightly open, lightly pushing it, causing a long creaking sound.
“Is anyone here?” He looked around. It was comfy looking, shades of blue, black and white filling the room. He noticed small dolls, that were cutely placed everywhere. They were all unique, different shades of colors covering them head to toe.
“It’s a human.” He heard whispers behind him.
“We haven’t had visitors in years!” He heard another voice.
“Who’s there?”
“Let’s go help him, he looks distraught.”
Suddenly, three dolls appeared in front of him.
“Woah! You can talk? And move?” They nodded.
“We’re enchanted!” The middle one laughed.
“Sir, are you lost? Is something wrong?” The girl doll called.
“Umm yeah….. I got lost and somehow I ended up here.. is there some way that I can stay for a while until the storm clears?”
“Of course! Come with me!” The brunette boy doll cheerily called, hopping to another direction.
“Wait in here please.” The redhead boy doll said, pointing to a den.
“Thank you, you guys are so kind…” He calmly sat on a chair in the den, next to the fireplace.
“YAH!” He heard someone yell and turned around, scared as he was face to face with a monster.
“What is this human doing here! Why is he taking hospitality without my permission!!!!”
“Master, he was just-“
“Send him to the dungeon! NOW!!!!!!” The last sentence came out as a yell, scaring the dolls and shocking Kangin.
“Y-yes master.”  The girl doll replied, and the two boy dolls bowed in sync.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“I hope uncle Kangin is okay….” Sungmin thought to himself as he spent the day practicing the music and cleaning the house.
He heard a giant ruckus outside and saw his uncle’s horse, disheveled and in fear.
“What’s wrong boy? Where’s Uncle?” The horse looked distraught, but pointed to the woods.
“Did he get lost? Can you take me there?” He nodded and Sungmin got on his back, frantic and panicking.
The horse had led him to the same steeple. Sungmin looked up with astonishment. The steeple was old styled.
“Is anyone here? I’m looking for my uncle…….” He pushed the door, that shut tightly once he got inside.  He noticed two boy dolls near the entrance, hands intertwined. “Aww that’s cute.” He steadily walked in, ready for anything.
“There’s another one!”
“Quiet Donghae, he might hear us. We don’t want to get him in trouble like the last guy.”
“Neh Hyukjae. But he seems younger and nice. Maybe the master would like him. Do you think he can…..”
“It’s possible. But we need to watch him.” They plopped down from their place and ran after the boy.
“Is anyone here?” He shivered at the coldness of the hall. He turned his head when he heard a loud thud, coming from behind him. He saw the two boy dolls, a shocked expression on both of their faces. He blinked and calmly walked over to them, picking them up. “You’re the dolls from before.”
“Neh…” The two responded, eagerly looking at the boy.
“Have you seen a man, bulky, pretty tall with black hair?”
“Yeah! We have!” The brunette said.
“Do you know where he is?”
“We can take you!” The redhead said.
“Jinja!? That’s great!” He put the two down and saw them hop towards a spiral staircase.
“Do you need me to carry you? It would take a while for you two to get up these stairs…” The two nodded and he cupped them again. “Go to the nearest door you see.” He walked through the door. “Turn left then right and we’re here.” He followed the dolls, ending at a place that looked like a jail cell.
“Uncle Kangin!” He saw the man neatly sleeping there.
“Eh? Sungmin?! How did you get here!?”
“Your horse helped me. What are you doing here??”
“That monster…. He trapped me……”
“What monster?” The dolls cowered in fear as they saw their master enter the room.
“YAH! WHAT IS THIS! LEE HYUKJAE AND LEE DONGHAE!” The dolls yelped and hid behind Sungmin. The boy turned around and was confused throughout. He was then face to face with the so called “monster”.
“Mianhae master….” The two dolls bowed.
“What is the boy doing here?”
“He was looking for the other guy.” The redhead said.
“Why is he being captive? He didn’t do anything!” Sungmin took a deep breath. “Take me instead. If he did anything bad, I’ll take the blame.”
“Don’t do it Sungmin!”
“I want to uncle. Go home and rest, arasso? Take care of yourself while I’m gone….” There was a tone of sadness in his words.
“Hyukjae. Open the cell door. Donghae show him to his room. Arasso?”
“Yes master.” The two did their deeds.
~~~~~~~~~
The sun was now setting as Sungmin was led to his room in the north wing.
“What’s wrong?” He saw a brunette boy doll and a girl doll.
“It’s nothing…” Sungmin bit his lip. “I’m just stuck here forever..” He buried his head into the bed, not seeing the flash of light that just occurred. “Wh-what happened to the dolls that were just there? Who are you?”
“I’m Ryeowook.” The boy grinned.
“And I’m Tiffany.” The girl smiled.
“But you were dolls, how did you-“
“We’re enchanted. It’s a long story.” Ryeowook said.
“Well I have time to spare.” They nodded and sat down.
“About 5 years ago, there was a woman who came to our home. We were originally dolls, made by our master for fun. He had enchanted us and we were like his friends. The woman however, made it hard on us. She layed a curse on our master, making him a monster and we would become human.” Ryeowook sighed.
“From sunrise to sunset, we’re in our doll forms, and he’s a monster. But once the sun sets, we’re human.” Tiffany clarified.
“But isn’t that good? I mean, you’re all dolls, wouldn’t you like being human?”
“It is fun…… but then again, we’re all cursed together.”
“Why-“
A redhead boy then entered the room. “Sungmin-ssi, the master wants to have dinner with you.”
“Dinner?”
“Yep. He wants you down in twenty minutes.” He bowed and left.
“Well….. I guess I have to go to dinner with him. Can you two help me?”
“Of course!” They nodded in unison.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Master, he could be the one!” Donghae said, as the former “monster” paced in front of him.
“Hyung, are you sure?” He felt his heart beat faster.
“Of course he is.” Hyukjae entered, strolling in. “I know. You know too.”
“But he wouldn’t like me back hyung. I imprisoned him here.”
“You never know master.”
“You know I don’t like you calling me master when we’re humans.” Hyukjae rolled his eyes.
“Of course Kyuhyun.”
“Good. Did you tell Sungmin-ssi the message?”
“Of course I did.”
“Hyung, can you help me?” 
Donghae sighed and laughed. “You were pretty bad at flirting.”
“This time it’s different. I really like Sungmin-ssi… he’s so beautiful.” He sighed. “But he probably would be afraid of me..”
“Stop thinking like that Kyuhyun.” A new voice entered.
“Mianhae Taeyeon noona it’s just that-“
“Don’t give me an excuse.” She patted him on the back. “I know you can do it master. You were the one that inspired us to do what we want.”
“But-“
“No buts, remember?” He sighed and nodded. “Come on, I’ll help you dress up.” She pulled his hand and dragged him to the bedroom. Hyukjae and Donghae nodded in unison and followed.
~~~~~~~~~``
“Is he ready?” Tiffany asked Taeyeon who burst through the door as Ryeowook put the last finishing touch onto Sungmin. “Is the master ready?” Taeyeon nodded.
“Good luck hyung.” Ryeowook bowed as Taeyeon motioned to the door.
“Thank you Ryeowook-ssi.” Sungmin smiled as he followed the blond down an intricate hallway.
“I’m curious about something… why do you call him master?”
“He was the one who created all of us. He spent his years enchanting and making us. We’re all grateful to him. That’s why he’s our master, our loyalty is in his hands.”
“I see… he must be very kind to you guys if your loyalty goes to him.”
“He truly is. He’s stubborn and tempered, but he’s still young. He’s just immature.”
“Is he your brother? You seem like you’re very close to him.”
“No….. his sister died a few years ago. That’s why he’s been sadder and angrier… I’m just one of his first creations. Hyukjae and Donghae were his first creations.”
“Are they brothers? They seem close.”
“They’re lovers. Well that’s what the master intended.”  She nodded and turned the corner.
“And Ryeowook and Tiffany?”
“Siblings. Tiffany and I were made about the same time.” She sighed and pushed a door open. “Here’s the dining room. The master will be here soon.”
Sungmin nodded and sat in one of the chairs and observed the room. It was quaint, not too big, but not too small. Shades of intricate blues made up the walls. The delicate onyx color of the table made it seem shiny and contrasted with the feel of the room. Everything was neatly put, moonlight lightly filtering through a giant black curtain.
He sat there wondering how the master would be. Was he as immature as Taeyeon said? Was he scary? Evil? A demon?
“Sungmin-ssi?” Sungmin jumped up and turned his head to the direction of the voice. It was a deep husky voice, but it wasn’t too deep. He turned and saw the figure of a young man. He was different from the “master” he had seen before, as an effect of the curse Ryeowook had explained. This master was very young looking. He had deep brown eyes that had a cold yet calm feel. He had sharply defined features, that perfectly went along with his light pink lips and his espresso colored hair. He was pale, like the moon that matched well with his features.
“Are you…..” He nodded slowly and took his place across from Sungmin. “Yes, it is me. Let me introduce myself.” He bowed 90 degrees, curtsying and staring directly into Sungmin’s eyes. “My name is Cho Kyuhyun, otherwise known as the doll master.”
“It’s a pleasure to finally meet you.” Sungmin bowed back and smiled as Kyuhyun nervously kissed his hand. “Such a gentleman.” He giggled as Kyuhyun sat him down.
He saw the nervous look on Kyuhyun’s face as they waited for the food to come. “So Kyuhyun-ssi…….”
“Neh Sungmin-ssi?” He timidly looked up. ‘He’s cute.’ Sungmin thought.
“How long have you been here?”
“Ever since I was very little. My sister raised me…..” He looked down.
“I heard about your sister…. She must’ve been very close to you.”
“She was. Ahra noona took care of me when our parents died.” He looked at an intricate portrait near Sungmin.
“Noona is 10 years older than me. Yet she became my second mother.” He sighed and looked down.
“I’m sorry for asking…. I didn’t know that-“
“It’s okay Sungmin-ssi.” Kyuhyun forced a smile.
The two silently ate, sharing smiles as they glanced at each other.
“How are they doing?” Tiffany whispered behind the curtain.
“He’s nervous. And it’s kind of awkward.” Hyukjae sighed and pulled the curtain back.
“What should we do? It’s almost his birthday soon…. And we all know what happens when it comes.” Donghae frowned and spared a glance to the dining room.
“We need to push them closer. You know, break the barriers.” Taeyeon muttered.
“How?” The others said in unison.
“…I have a plan. But its risky.”
“Count us in!” Hyukjae and Donghae whispered at the same time.
“Unnie, what’s the plan?”
----------------------
“Sungmin-ssi?” The latter was laying down on the bed, looking at the ceiling and pursing his lips. He turned his head to the new voice, the doll perched up next to him on the pillow.
“Yes Donghae?”
“Do you want to go on a tour of the place? It’ll be really fun!” Sungmin faintly smiled, sitting up and facing the doll.
“Arasso. Lead the way.” The doll nodded excitedly and plopped off of the bed and onto Sungmin’s shoulder.
“Let’s go to the kitchen first! Assa!” Sungmin laughed and went in the direction the doll asked.
“Wow… the place is large.”
“Neh, it was Ahra noona’s favorite place, so master Kyuhyun had it built for her.”
“He’s very kind…” Sungmin muttered as Donghae pulled at a plate on the table. “What are you doing Donghae? Do you need that plate lifted?” Donghae simply nodded and Sungmin smiled again, helping the little doll.
“Hm, there’s a note…” Sungmin didn’t see Donghae’s grin as he picked up the note and read.
Dear Sungmin-ssi,
    I didn’t know what you would have liked for breakfast, so I had this prepared myself. I want to get to know you better. I have some work to do in the morning, but I’m hoping we can have lunch together.
                                                                                                            Kyuhyun
Sungmin put the note down gently, a smile across his lips as he looked at the plate. There was pancakes with strawberries on top, one of his favorite foods. He took a piece, grinning proudly at how well it tasted, leaving a smiling Donghae to jump back onto him.
“Shall we continue the tour?” Sungmin nodded slowly and walked down another hallway.
“Donghae, I have a question.”
“Yes?”
“How do you never get lost here? It’s so large.”
“We grew up here. It’s very easy to know our way around. Uh, I just remembered. I have a chore to do. You can go look around if you like.” Donghae smiled and ran off, hearing Sungmin’s protest of “I’ll get lost!”
‘Aigoo…’ Sungmin sighed and wandered around, looking at the ornate curtains and doors as he passed them. ‘Which room was mine…’ He heard a soft melody coming from an open door near the corner. He peeked inside, curious to see who was playing the piano to the tune. He saw Kyuhyun sitting at the piano, staring at the notes as he played along and sang.
“You have a lovely voice.” Kyuhyun looked up and turned to the male, who was walking in.
“Thanks. Nobody’s ever heard me sing before.” Sungmin blinked and sat down next to him.
“Continue the song.”
“What?”
“I said continue. I’ll play the piano for you.” Kyuhyun stood still for a second then cleared his throat, picking up from where he continued. Sungmin recognized this piece as the sheet music he had gotten from Jungsu that day. It was a love song. The large room echoed with the soft melody of the piano and Kyuhyun’s charming voice.
“You play the piano very well, Sungmin.” Sungmin blushed and looked down.
“I- I learned it from my mother.”
“Well you have a talent for it.” He smiled and just stared at him. “Why were you wandering the halls in the first place?”
“Donghae was giving me a tour, but he left me unattended.”
“Aish, that kid…” Kyuhyun sighed and just chuckled. “So did you see my note then?”
“Yeah. I was going to look for you after I found my way back.”
“I see. Well, shall we have lunch in the garden then?” Their hands intertwined slowly, a shy smile on both of their faces.
“Yah! I told you it would work.” Donghae grinned happily as Hyukjae pushed the closet door closed.
“I can’t believe one of your plans actually worked, pabo. I can’t believe he actually let you abandon him either…” Hyukjae rolled his eyes as Donghae started to whine.
“Yah Hyukkie! I did a good job right?”
“Yes Hae. Now come on, we have to follow them.” Hyukjae pushed the door open and ran down the hall towards the garden. He helped Donghae scale up the wall and propped themselves at the large window near the garden.
“Oh! They’re over there!” Donghae pointed at the two, who were currently sitting down at a large table near the fountain.
“What are they doing?”
“They’re talking… We need to get closer Hyukkie!” He rashly pushed the window open and jumped out, Hyukjae following with a sigh.
-------
“You don’t mind pasta right?” Sungmin looked up and slowly shook his head. He was across from Kyuhyun, staring at all of the ornate decorations and plates in front of him.
“Yah. Master. Hey.” Kyuhyun heard a whisper and just ignored it, trying to focus on a conversation with Sungmin about music.
“Kyuhyun.” He felt a tugging at his pant sleeve. He looked down and muttered a “What do you want Hyukjae.”
“Yah, flirt with him!” He looked shocked and looked down, trying to make it look like he was looking at his food.
“What, are you crazy?” He hissed softly so the other wouldn’t hear.
“Hey you like him, and he’s our only chance to break the spell.”
“But wouldn’t that be using? I don’t even know if he likes me back.” He muttered softly.
“It’s obvious master. I have a plan. Just keep flirting and ask him to dance with you tonight.”
He looked down and saw Hyukjae was gone. ‘This guy…’
“Uh, Sungmin?” The male looked up, blinking softly.
“Yes Kyuhyun?”
“Uh.. would you like to do something tonight?” They both got up after finishing the meal and sat on the fountain barrier. Sungmin smiled and intertwined their hands.
“Of course Kyuhyun.” He lightly pecked his cheek, surprising the male who was surpressing a blush.
“T-that’s great then. Be ready by 7.”
-----------
“Hold still Kyuhyun! Aish!” Kyuhyun groaned as Hyukjae struggled with his hair.
“That hurts hyung! Stop it, my hair is fine.” Hyukjae sighed and stopped, allowing Kyuhyun to shape his hair.
“I’m just trying to help…” Kyuhyun sighed and nodded.
“I’m just a little nervous, I’m sorry hyung.” He jumped back when the door slammed shut. “What the hell noona, that scared me…!” Kyuhyun took a deep breath as the girl strided over.
“Are you ready yet, Sungmin’s waiting.”
“He is?!” Kyuhyun widened his eyes and jumped out of his seat.
“No, I just wanted to see how you would react. But you should hurry up.” She eyed him carefully. “Is that what you’re wearing?” Kyuhyun slowly shook his head yes and felt a yank on his arm.
“Noona what are you-“
“I’ll dress you. Come on, we need to hurry.”
-----------------
“Hey Heechul, have you seen Sungmin around?” Siwon asked as he drank a pint of beer in one shot.
“You’re the man Siwon!”
“Oppa is so amazing!” He chuckled at the cheers and turned to the male, who was silently shrugging.
“I heard his loony uncle went missing so he went to find him.” The door opened and Kangin appeared, tired and panting. “Speak of the devil.”
“Siwon, I need your help…” Kangin took a deep breath and leaned on the table.
“What is it Kangin hyung?”
“S-Sungmin… he’s gone.”
“Where did you let that brat go?”
“Hush Heechul. Where did Sungmin go?”
“H- He was imprisoned by the monster in the steeple.” A loud gasp rang throughout the bar, not even a pin dropping was heard.
“That’s a lie! It’s just a myth… isn’t it? Yah, Kangin’s just a loon!”
“I’m not lying! Or crazy! He did get taken!”
“Someone send him to the ward!” Heechul evily smirked as Kangin was struggling against two burly men.
---------
“You look handsome.” Kyuhyun shyly smiled as he took Sungmin’s hand. ‘Taeyeon noona did a good job…’ Kyuhyun was dressed in a frilly dress shirt and a long, black suit that matched his stature.
“Well so do you.” Sungmin blushed and smiled.
“Ryeowook and Tiffany helped me.”
“So… would you like to learn how to dance?” Sungmin nodded and followed him to the center of the ballroom, intertwining their hands and standing up straight.
“Just follow me, okay?” Sungmin nodded and gazed into Kyuhyun’s eyes as he followed his steps one by one.
“Your eyes are beautiful, Sungmin-ah…” Kyuhyun whispered as Sungmin leaned on his shoulder.
“Such a flatterer.” Sungmin laughed and grasped his hand tighter.
“Good, they’re falling in love!” Donghae grinned and clapped as he pushed the door back.
“Hopefully Kyuhyun won’t mess something up… he really likes him.”
“Eh? What’s happening?” Ryeowook blinked and was about to push the door open.
“When you’re older Wookie.”
“That’s not fair!” He pouted.
“Ssh, they’re walking away! We should get back to work.” The rest nodded and walked away.
“Is this your room?” Kyuhyun led him to the balcony of the highest room in the steeple.
“Yeah. Ever since I was little, I lived in this room. It’s like my home within home.” Sungmin looked around the room. It was a pretty simple room. Reds and blacks decorated the walls, a gold outlining within the features in the room.
“It’s a little… somber don’t you think?”
“I never said I was a happy kid.” Sungmin frowned as he eyed the black rose, perched under a glass case in the corner of the room. Some of the petals had fallen off, and the rose has seen better days.
“What’s this?”
“Oh… I guess I should tell you…”
“Tell me what?”
“You have heard about the curse right?” Sungmin nodded obediently as Kyuhyun sighed. “When I was cursed, the witch had left this rose. She said that once the sun rises on my 24th birthday, the rose will die and I will perish along with it.”
“When is that?”
“….Tommorow.”
“Oh.” He played with his fingers, a sad expression on his face.
“But it’s okay Sungmin. I mean, I’m supposed to be imprisoning you. You must hate me.”
“I- I never did.” Kyuhyun looked up,  a surprised expression on his face.
“You never did?” Sungmin shook his head.
“You just seemed different from everyone else. Everyone in the town is stuck-up, inconsiderate and greedy.”
“But I’m rash and impatient. That basically translates as the same thing.”
“No. But you have something those guys don’t have. You have a kind heart.”
“I never had anyone compliment me like that. I’m not that compassionate you know…”
“You are to me. You treat me well.” Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes and was leaning closer to kiss him when he felt the door open.
“Yah! What’s wrong noona?” Taeyeon rushed in, breathing heavily, her heels clacking in the large room.
“Sungmin, your uncle is in trouble.”
“My uncle…?” He widened his eyes and got up, Kyuhyun following suit.
“Tiffany went to town to go check on him. He’s being put into the ward.”
“Why?! My uncle is not crazy! I- I have to go stop them…!” He looked up at Kyuhyun who was frowning. “Kyuhyun…”
“I understand. You have to save your uncle. Go quickly, I’ll be okay.”
“But what about-“
“Just go!” He hissed with no emotion.
“Fine!” Kyuhyun grabbed his wrist suddenly, ing something into his hand and closing it.  
“Sungmin, be careful…” He whispered faintly, before releasing his wrist.
Sungmin faintly bit his lip and wiped the lone tear from his face as he left the room, holding the ring that Kyuhyun had entrusted him with to his dear life.
--------
“Hyung, don’t be too rash with him… we’re only dropping him off.” Siwon rolled his eyes at the ecstatic male who was pushing Kangin through the door.
“Oh shut it Siwon. Come on you old man, get in there!”  Heechul growled at the man and the psychiatrist. 
“What the hell is going on here!” The two men turned to see an angry Sungmin, clutching his fists.
“Sungmin-ah! You’re back! We were just helping your uncle out.”
“You’re not putting him in that ward, Choi Siwon!”
“I guess we can work something out, on two conditions. One, you prove that Kangin isn’t lying. And two, that you marry me.”
“I will never marry you.” He hissed, running over to his uncle’s side. 
“Your loss. Is it because of that so called monster in the steeple? Did he scare you into loving him?”
“He’s not a monster! He’s more of a man than you, and he’s a million times better than you, regardless of his appearance.” Siwon slapped Sungmin on the face harshly, surprising Heechul and Sungmin himself.
“Don’t you dare compare me to anyone! I might as well kill this man myself if he’s so high above me. Then you will marry me.” He pushed the two inside the abandoned room and locked the door, blocking it with a chair.
“Don’t hurt him Siwon! Please!”
“Too late Sungmin. You had your chance. Heechul! Let’s gather some of the guys and get this guy.” Sungmin heard cackling as he pounded on the door, screaming for help.
---------
“Yah  Cho Kyuhyun! Why did you let him go?” Ryeowook blinked and patted the sulking man’s back, covering him with a jacket. “Why are you sitting in the rain?”
“The rain helps my mood… I had no choice, he wanted to save his uncle. As long as he’s happy I’m fine with it.”
“But you’ll die! The sun is about to rise soon!” Kyuhyun coughed and slid the jacket off of him and gave it back to Ryeowook.
“It’s okay. I lived those years well. At least you guys can survive without me. Without a horrible master like me.” Ryeowook narrowed his eyes and glared at his master.
“You’re giving up that easily? What happened to the Kyuhyun I knew?”
“He died Ryeowook.” Kyuhyun bit his lip and leaned on the balcony, drenched in the rainwater.
---------------
“Someone help me! Taeyeon! Tiffany! Anyone!” Sungmin screamed as loud as he could, trying to pound at the door with no avail. “Uncle wake up please…” He sobbed as the man was out unconscious due to the medicine the psychiatrist had given him prior.
“Sungmin-ah?!”
“Taeyeon noona, I’m here!”
“Get back for a second!” He closed his eyes and saw the doors both kicked open, the girl helping him up.
“We need to hurry, Kyuhyun’s in trouble.”
“We know, the rest of us are going to hold them back as long as possible. But we need to get you there before the sun rises.” Sungmin nodded and both he and Taeyeon helped Kangin up.
“Get him to safety, I can reach the steeple myself.” Taeyeon nodded and pulled out the horse for him.
“Come on boy, we need to hurry. Assa!” He snapped the rope and took off in the rain.
“Good luck Sungmin…. hurry.”
--------
“Where is this so called guy…” Siwon gritted his teeth as they approached the gate of the steeple.
“Let’s hurry, this place gives me the creeps…” Heechul muttered, holding his pitchfork tightly.
“Be quiet Heechul.” The man called out, eying the door and pushing it open with a creak.
“Hello? Is anyone here? We’re here to kill your master.”
“You idiot, you don’t say that!” Siwon hissed, pushing Heechul out of the way.
“What was that?” He heard a creaking and saw a bright light emitting from one of the rooms.
“This place is creepy hyung…”
“Just hurry up already sir!”
“Be quiet! I can’t think!” Hyukjae hid behind the cover.
“Those are the guys after Kyuhyun. Guys, be careful.” The others nodded as Hyukjae peeked over again to watch them. “On the count of three, we jump them.”
“One.” Donghae whispered as Heechul pushed a table out of the way.
“Two.” Ryeowook whispered as Siwon readied his weapon at one of the doors.
“Three!” Tiffany yelled as they jumped over and started to attack the men.
Siwon managed to slip away from the crowd, heading up the large spiral stairs. “Come out you bastard…” He readied his gun, kicking one of the doors open. “Nobody. Sheesh.”
Kyuhyun blinked as the noise got closer and louder. ‘. There’s someone after me.’ He lifted his gaze from the black rose which was down to a petal left. He didn’t even flinch when the door to his room opened with a bang.
“So you’re the infamous monster that lives in the steeple. Odd. You look like a regular boy. Oh well. I still have to kill you to get Sungmin anyways.” Kyuhyun raised his eyes and glared at Siwon. “Talking about Sungmin must be provoking you, hm? Is he yours?” Siwon mocked him and held the gun towards him.
Kyuhyun lunged towards him, grabbing the gun and throwing it out of Siwon’s reach.
“Oh, you don’t talk? Shame. I wanted to hear you scream in pain before you died.” Kyuhyun growled and punched him in the face, trying to overpower the stronger male. Kyuhyun was pushed back into the rain, which was falling at a faster rate than before, the dark clouds almost covering the rising sunset. ‘The sun… , I’m going to die…’ Siwon grabbed Kyuhyun by the neck, almost choking him out.  He gasped for air as Siwon’s grip got tighter.
“Siwon! Get away from him!” Sungmin cried as the clouds let out loud thunder.
“Why should I? He’s the reason why your heart isn’t mine!” Kyuhyun coughed louder this time and kicked Siwon’s leg, releasing him from Siwon’s grasp.
“This-“ Siwon tried to lunge at Kyuhyun but slipped and grabbed onto the side of the steeple frantically. Kyuhyun tried to help him from falling but alas, Siwon lost his grip and fell, the bright light of the lightning flashing after. Kyuhyun took a deep breath and fell to his knees, his eyes sombered and his hair drenched.
“Kyuhyun, are you hurt?” Sungmin choked out, gripping the taller male as tight as he can.
“N-no… the sun…” Sungmin looked up and saw the sun peeking out from the clouds. “I’m dying Min… At least let me say this.” He coughed and clasped his heart. “I- I love you.”
“No… no! You can’t die! Not without letting me say that I love you too.” He sobbed as Kyuhyun coughed louder this time, gasping for air.
“Just leave me be Sungmin, you can find someone better. I’m a monster after all.”  He ignored his words and pressed his lips onto Kyuhyun’s. He kissed him roughly, pouring all of his emotions into that one kiss as the last petal dropped.  He held onto Kyuhyun’s head, sobbing as the man slowly closed his eyes.
“No! You can’t leave me Kyuhyun! You’re supposed to be with me… we’re supposed to be happy together…” Sungmin let out choked sobs as he intertwined their hands, the ring between. He leaned his head onto Kyuhyun’s chest, hearing his heart beat softly. “Kyuhyun… your heart…” He heard a muffled cough and saw Kyuhyun open his eyes softly, sitting upwards and facing Sungmin.
“You pabo…” Sungmin smiled and hit Kyuhyun lightly on the chest.
“What?” Sungmin hugged him as tightly as possible, placing a peck on his lips.
“You scared me… don’t ever do that again.” Kyuhyun shyly smiled and rubbed his head.
“Mianhae, I thought I was going to die too.”
“Don’t think like that, okay?”
“Neh… You kept the ring.” He removed his hand and held out the ring.
“Well of course. It was from you.”
“It was meant for you. May I?” Sungmin smiled and nodded as he placed the ring on his finger.
“Does this mean I’m yours?”
“If you want it to.” Sungmin smiled and kissed him on the cheek.
“I’ll take that as a yes.”