Work from Home

I'm Sorry, but I Love Him

            “Will you teach me French, Rine?” Chae Yoon asked me in her little girl voice as we lay on the floor in her bedroom listening to music.  A French song had just started to play.  I smiled when I thought of all the times I tried to get her to pronounce my name correctly.  It’s like Ryan, but she calls me Rine.  I find it cute now.

            I laughed.  “Chae Yoon, you already speak English and Korean.  That’s enough for your little three year old brain, don’t you think?”

            “But French sounds so pretty,” she reasoned.

            “Maybe, if I can find some flash cards, we can do them at night, ok?”

            She nodded excitedly.  I smiled as I watched her use her crayon to scribble all over the paper in front of her.  When I first became her nanny, I felt bad for her.  I take her to all these classes, Monday through Friday.  Ballet, Chinese, piano, English, and swimming.  But she never seems upset to have to go.  She even gets excited when we get ready to go.

              Especialy English class.  She told me once that she was the smartest one in her class.  That is because her father speaks English and works with her at home on it.  Plus, she has an American live-in nanny.  She said she knew that was why, but she’d never tell her classmates or her teacher that.

            I really loved spending time with her, I thought fondly as she handed me a crayon to color with her.

            She looked up and frowned at me.  “Do you have class tonight?”

            I nodded.  “You know I go to class on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays,” I reminded her.  “And today is Friday.”  She pouted out her lower lip.  “But I’ll tell you what, I’m going to put you to bed first and then I’ll see you in the morning.”

            I was originally a little apprehensive about coming here to Korea for grad school to study international relations five months ago, but when my undergrad university back home in Washington offered me a full tuition scholarship to their sister school here in Seoul, I had to take it.  I’d be stupid not to accept that kind of deal.  Then, I got this job and everything just kind of fell into place.

            And I was happy.  Even if what my mom said was true.  That my dad kept saying I was giving him gray hair by living so far from home for so long.  He’d get over it, my mom tells me.

            From downstairs, we heard a door slam, breaking me out of my thoughts and lighting Chae Yoon’s face up like a Christmas tree.

            I gasped.  “Dad’s home.”

            “Daddy!” Chae Yoon yelled, grabbing my hand and running from the room.

            She took the stairs two at a time and nearly yanked me down on my face.  When we reached the bottom, she saw her dad kicking his shoes off in the entrance hall of the apartment.  I stood back and watched her launch herself at him.  He’d stepped up into the open living room just in time to catch her.

            “Chae Yoon,” he laughed.  “Did you have a nice day with Rian?”

            “Yes,” she answered, clinging to his side, arms and legs wrapped around him.

            “How was swimming class today?” he asked as he stepped closer to where I stood.

            “Good,” she answered.

            “Really?” he asked, skeptically.  He looked to me.

            “Well, she didn’t sink now, did she?” I replied.

            “It was a good day then.  Did you eat all your dinner?” he questioned, hugging the little girl close.

            “Yes.  Rian made me,” she answered.  I reached out and pinched her cheeks.  She swatted at me with one hand for only a second before clinging back to her dad.

            “That is what I pay her to do.  Force feed you and take you around to your classes,” he sighed.  “You go upstairs now.  Brush your teeth and wash your face.  I’ll be up to say goodnight in a minute, ok?”  He pried her limbs off him and set her tiny frame on the floor.  She stared up at him with a frown.

            “Rine said she would tuck me in before she goes to class,” she stated, thin arms crossed over her chest.

            Ji Yong pouted.  “I’ve been replaced, haven’t I?” he asked her.

            She nodded.

            “Well, then she’ll be up before me.”  Chae Yoon grinned and with a quick hug to his leg, she bounded back up the stairs.  I stifled a giggle as I watched him watch her, with a confused look on his face.

            “I’m glad I hired you and all, but I’m a little worried.  I’ve spent three years with her and she’s ready to toss me aside for someone she met a few months ago,” he told me as he dropped himself onto the sofa in the living room.

            “It is a little upsetting, for you,” I mentioned casually.  “I’m ok with it though.”  He laughed as I sat next to him.  “You look tired, Ji Yong.  Are you hungry?”

            “No, I ate, thanks.  I’m just exhausted,” he replied, resting his head against the back of the sofa and closing his eyes.

            I propped my head on my elbow on the back of the sofa.  I was a little worried taking this job after meeting Ji Yong.  He was only two years older than me and, oh, was he handsome.  I studied the features of his face as he relaxed, eyes still closed.  I was glad he dyed his hair back to its natural black color.  I really despised that yellow color he’d chosen last.  So did Chae Yoon.  His hair was a bit shaggier now, too.  Pieces of it hung close to his eyes.  It was all I could do to refrain from reaching over and brushing the hair off his forehead.  There’s an idea, hooking up with the man I work for.

            It was quite the idea actually, I thought.  I fidgeted in my seat when I felt my face grow hot.

            “…and I’m working on some new songs for that new band that’s debuting next month,” he continued.  I sat up straight and tried to focus on his words, shaking the idea of touching his face out of my mind.  “I’m worn out.”

            “That’s what you get for being a killer song writer.  What did you expect when you became a music producer?  To sit around all day?” I teased.

            He opened one eye and glared at me.  “You’re supposed to just compliment me on my skills and then offer to massage my shoulders,” he complained, rubbing his shoulder and twisting his face into one of pain.

            I laughed, slightly breathless and jumped off the sofa.  I knew he was just kidding when he said things like that, but the fact that I wanted to massage his shoulders this badly made me uncomfortable.

            “I’ll go tuck in Chae Yoon.  Then, unless you need me to do something else, I’m going to head over to class early,” I said, already heading for the stairs.

            “No,” he said, closing both eyes again.  “I’m all set.  Did you eat?”

            “I ate with Chae Yoon,” I called as I ran up the stairs.

            Must not crush on Kwon Ji Yong, I told myself.  He's your boss for Heaven's sake. 

           Must not picture him shirtless.  Must not imagine kissing him.  Must read Cinderella and focus on G rated things while I’m tucking in Chae Yoon.