A blessing

Under the Umbrella

 

Nathalie slid the door open and was greeted by the cold woosh of air & the moist feeling of rain. It was raining slightly and she was quite annoyed. Sighing, she searched her bag for her umbrella and clicked it open.

Soon after, she left the school.

Living nearby, she was used to walking her way home. And that's actually for two main reasons. First, it wouldn't cost her money, and second, it was a form of exercise for her. 'It wasn't too energy consuming, so walking is fine' is what she would always thought. Except for today. Rain is pouring heavier as time passes by and Nathalie was trying to walk fast without splashing mud on her uniform until she was stopped on her tracks. 

A few steps in front of her stands a man wearing the same school uniform, head hung low, all drenched in water. 

So she did what most generous conscience would dictate. She ran over to him and shared with him her umbrella eliciting a surprised reaction from the guy. 

"Thanks," he mumbled in a tone which she assumed is of gratefulness. She nodded anyways and stood still, not saying anything. She wanted to ask where he's heading but his stern demeanor prevented her from doing so. 

"Where're you headin'?" Finally! He made it first to speak, breaking the eery silence. 

Nathalie was about to answer back when she realized how fluent he speaks English. He was the very first person who talked to her in the language she's most used to using. Born and raised in California, it was pretty difficult for her to get used with the Korean accent despite being a Korean herself. 

She made an attempt not to smile in giddiness and proudly succeeded. "Oh..uhh..you speak English?" She knew that that was unnecessary but she just had to ask.

"I do and I just had a hunch that you do too. Anyway, where are you heading?"

She clapped her hands merrily, almost losing her grip on the umbrella. "That's great! You were the very first to talk to me since I moved here! Look, we go to the same school!" She exclaimed, pointing at their uniform in excitement. 

"Look, am not in the mood for this. Just tell me where you live and I'll take you home," he replied, eyes directed on the lane ahead. 

Her eyes sparkled in enthusiasm. It was the first time someone offered to take her home despite the guy looking not too pleased about it. "You will??"

"To repay your act of kindness, yes."

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A week hasn't passed yet but it seems like destiny was trying to hook them up once again. And coincidentally under the same scenario again. 

Despite the short span of time spent with the nameless-English-speaking guy and his indifferent-like attitude, Nathalie was still determined to befriend him for reasons she cannot fathom yet. Probably 'cause there won't be any language barrier between them or the mystery-ish feel surrounding him. Either way, she'd want to actually ask for his name first which she failed to do so when they first met.

"Are you not aware of this thing called umbrella?" she asked, suddenly appearing right beside him. They were at the locker area near the exit door and it was, like the other day, raining. And again, mysterious guy didn't have an umbrella with him.

"Oh, it's you."

Her eyes widened at his remark. "You're not mad??"

"No, sorry. I just had a terrible week." He looked apologetic enough so Nathalie forgave him right away. Besides, he's too handsome for his own sake. 

And so they shared the umbrella again.

This time though, it wasn't just the umbrella, they were also able to talk about each other's life and Nathalie found out that he's name is Wu Fan but prefers on being called Kris. It was then when she officially considered him as her friend. Her very first one. 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A month went by and Nathalie grew more fond of Kris. He wasn't proud and smug regardless of his breath-taking physical attributes. The way he gazes, he walks, and his freaking height would definitely make every girl fall head-over-heels for him but he chose to remain humble. He was polite and nice to everyone. 

And he (purposely) remained unaware of the fact that umbrellas were invented for the purpose of not getting harassed by the rain. 

"I knew it. No umbrella again," she smirked and clicked open her umbrella. Nathalie has shared with him her umbrella for countless times already and she was starting to see this cute, stupid side of him.

Halfway through their walk, Kris spoke. "I purposely left mine," he whispered as if not really intending to let you hear.

"Hm?"

"You remember the time when we first met?"

"Of course! You were all drenched and was having a murderous glare," she replied laughing over the idea. It's as if it's been years since that day. You two just became close for no apparent reason. Or maybe 'cause of the umbrella. Or for using the same language. Whatever it is, you were glad that you became friends with him. He was, for her, a blessing.

He scoffed. "Not funny. Well anyway, y'know why I was in the middle of the street then?"

"Oh. I haven't thought of that since then. And you told me you just had a terrible week, isn't it?" Nathalie looked at him in curiosity. They stopped on their tracks to hear each other out.

"That wasn't a lie. Things were going terribly bad at that time. Parents fighting over financial matters, grandma having an incurable disease, friends backstabbing me. I seriously wanted to commit suicide. Until you came over. I was utterly taken aback by your act and wasn't able to respond quickly. Although, because of you, the idea of committing suicide vanished. Thank you," he explained, smiling in the end. A smile that sent your heart to heaven that you almost forgot about the suicide thing. 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The next day wasn't any different. Rain is still annoyingly present in Seoul, Korea. Something was extremely unusual though. Nathalie forgot to bring her umbrella. 

"Hey," Kris greeted ruffling her hair until he noticed your panic-stricken face.

"What? You look nasty." And then he started laughing earning a pout from his friend.

"Stop laughing tall man. I forgot my umbrella! That's a disaster!" She yelled in irritation when Kris opened his sling bag and grabbed an umbrella from the inside. 

That caught you off guard. "You brought an umbrella? You...you brought an umbrella!" Nathalie shouted once again, clapping her hands in ecstasy. Kris bringing an umbrella is way more unusual than Nathalie forgetting to bring one.

"Sure did. Now, let's get moving before the rain pours heavier," he held her hand which surprised her but didn't really hesitated about it either. It just felt right.

 

The two of them remained silent and  Nathalie was somehow feeling awkward. "Hey. How do I wash off the dirt inside the umbrella?" He asked, breaking the silence.

"Say what? How is it possible to get dirty when--" She stopped midway when she saw writings inside the umbrella and started tearing after reading the whole thing. 

 

*READ IT FROM TOP RIGHT TO TOP LEFT, ARASSO? XD

She wiped her tears with the back of her hand when Kris took your hand and wiped it himself. "That was the sweetest thing someone has done for me. I..I love you too..."

"Great. I shall continue with that then. Now, do not let other guys do as I did. It was my job, and only mine, as your man to make you feel forever loved, arasso?" She nodded and Kris smiled in joy as he grabbed her petite body for a hug.

 

 

"I never really liked the rain, or the very process of raining. 

Probably because it feels unusually melancholic whenever rain clouds loom over the sky.

Or when lightning and thunder go hand in hand with heavy rain. 

 

But I guess there will come a time where some circumstances would prove it otherwise. 

And I'd love to thank the umbrella for making such circumstances possible."

 

~~ THE END ~~