When The November Breeze Blows

When The November Breeze Blows

It's cold. Not freezing, but chilly enough that your skin tingles even in the shelter of your bedroom. As you get up off your bed and walk to the window, you wonder how the summer went so fast. Now, the sky is shifting in a plethora of greys and whites, and the clouds are floating serenely, shedding light rain on the land. It's not a drizzle; the wind is making the delicate droplets slant and carve unseen messages on the glass in front of you. You sigh. Suddenly, you hear your phone vibrate against your bedspread. As you pick it up, you feel a now familiar twist in your stomach when you see his name on your screen.

 

 

You still remember that day. It was a mediocre day, as you boarded the crowded train after a day of hard work. You could see everyone around you in the reflection on the glass, and you timidly looked around to see the real people. All the faces were tired, every one of them looking forward to getting home. As you left at your stop, you became preoccupied in untangling your headphones and did not see the step ahead of you.

"Careful."

Even as you stood at your bedroom window now, his voice was crystal clear in your mind. That was how you met. He stopped you falling down a flight of stairs. Your lips curl into a faint smile as you think what a strange situation it must have been. You come back to reality and look back down at your phone, tapping the screen to read the message.

 

From: Kai

Isn't the weather dull? Where has summer gone?

 

Your heart jumps and you smile at how you had both thought the same thing at the same time. It was always nice to receive a message from Kai; it was nice to know he was thinking of you. You chuckle to yourself and drop your phone on the bed, heading to your wardrobe. It would be dark soon and you hadn't been out of the house, so you decide to go for a walk. Thoughts wandering, you absently pull on a jumper and scarf before heading downstairs. As you open the door an icy breeze hits you and you turn, grabbing a scarf and wrapping it around your neck before tucking the ends into your coat. November had never really been a good month for you. Most of the trees had gone over by the time November arrives, and there was still a while before Christmas. November was the harsh, grey month that filled the gap between Halloween and Christmas, in the same way that January and February fill the gap between Christmas and spring.

 

 

Your steps tap crisply against the pavement as you stroll down the road. The grand white terraces rise up on each side of you, everything serene and quiet. One crumpled, fading orange leaf drops from the tree beside you and settles on the ground with a light crackle. The wind is still blowing against your back as you head towards the town centre. The tranquil sounds of your street begin to be overtaken by the sounds of buses and shoppers a block ahead. As you inhale deeply, you begin to wonder whether there will be snow this year, like there was before. Just then, you feel your phone vibrating and you reach into your pocket.

"Hello?"

"Hey."

Your heart knocks against your ribs as you hear Kai's smooth voice down the phone.

"Hey, what's up?" you ask.

"Nothing much, in fact I'm quite bored. Did you get what the music homework was?"

"I don't think we had any today…" A stranger passes you as your pace slows.

"Really? Oh, that's good. It's really dark even now, and it's not warm either-"

You freeze as a figure comes around the corner, wearing a black coat. You know who it is immediately. A smile spreads across your lips as Kai lifts his head and spots you. You hand up and hurry over. "Well that's a coincidence!" you say. He smiles.

"Yeah. Were you going anywhere?"

"Nowhere particularly, just walking. You?"

"Same. I needed some excersise, I was bored." You smile slightly - Kai gets bored easily. He motions for you to walk. You shrug and fall into step with him. Even just walking with him felt like the best thing in the world. As you walk, you glance up at his glistening chocolatey eyes, his sharp features and his bronzed skin, and his glossy hair that falls in tendrils around his face. Then your eyes drift to the floor as you feel a sinking feeling. You wish so badly that you could compose the words to tell him how you feel, and without realising, you let out a small, sad sigh. "Are you alright?" he asks, his face woven with concern. It makes your stomach twist, and you force a little smile. "Yeah, I just don't like the weather."

 

 

You walk on for a bit, and come towards the busier centre of the neighbourhood. Despite being busier, it's become even colder, and the air presses bitterly against your skin. Your hands in particular are beginning to feel icy and stiff. Shoving them in your pockets in an attempt to warm them, you try to think of something interesting to say. "How's your dad?" you finally ask. Kai tilts his head.

"Working harder than ever, he didn't come home until 1am last night," he replies. You nod. You have now reached a quieter part of the centre and you decide to stop and lean on a wall. You pull your hands out of your pockets and flex your fingers, still trying to warm them up. "You cold?" Kai asks. You nod. Without warning, he takes your hands and cradles them gently in his, bringing them upwards and blowing between the gaps in his fingers. Your heart is pounding, and you can feel a warm sensation spreading across your cheeks. He continues to warm your hands and all you can do is stare at your fingers cradled in his. "Better?" he asks with a smile. You nod and he lets go, as you feel a coldness inside from the loss of contact. You notice that the atmosphere changes and becomes a little awkward. "So…" Kai says eventually. You tilt your head.

"Yeah?"

"I heard about Daeho," he replied. You narrow your eyes before you realise what he is talking about. Daeho, a boy in some of your classes, had confessed to you the day before. You look at Kai and notice that he looks thoughtful. "Who told you?" you ask.

"Kaejin," he replies. You roll your eyes - your best friend has never been very good at keeping secrets. "Do you think you'll date him?" Kai asks. You look up at him, taken aback at his question.

"What, Daeho? Nah, he's not really my type," you reply, subtly watching Kai's reaction. His face seems to light up a little and your heart skips a beat. Could that mean…?

 

 

"Is there a particular reason you're asking me about him?" you pluck up the courage to ask, already dreading the answer. Kai bites his lip slightly and looks down the road. You follow his gaze, turning slightly to look down the road. The cloudy haze has caused everything to go slightly grey, but it's pretty, like a filter on a camera. The trees' sharp structures are nearly bare, with the occasional fiery leaf still floating on wispy branches. A lone car is parked at the other end of the road. Suddenly, you feel pressure on your shoulders, and a warm feeling spreading across your back. Your hear begins to thud uncontrollably when you realise it's Kai, hugging your shoulders from behind. His head is by your left ear. Unsure of what to do, you stay still as your eyes look around. "Are you still cold?" Kai asks.

"What?"

"You were shivering," he replied, his voice sending a shiver up your spine. You sigh softly and shift a bit, bringing your hands up to hold Kai's arms. You wonder if Kai can feel how strongly your heart is beating. "You know…I don't think you and Daeho would have suited each other," he remarks. You frown and turn your head a little.

"What makes you say that?" you probe.

"I don't really know, I mean-I think he's a bit…rough for you," Kai's voice softens a little.

"Are you being…protective of me?" you turn to face him. A minute smirk plays at his lips and he scratches the back of his head.

"…maybe," he replies. You smile slightly, before a serious thought pops into your head. If you didnt ask him now, you would regret it forever. "Would it…would it…bother you if I dated Daeho?" you ask in a small voice. You see a muscle jump in Kai's cheek and he looks at the ground.

"…Not if it would make you happy," he says, eyes on the floor. Your face softens at his kind words and you feel a sudden urge to hug him. Winding your arms around his waist, you put your head on his chest, not really caring about his reaction but just wanting to be close to him. You can feel his heartbeat, and you wonder if his heart is racing because of you. He pats your back softly and you sigh to yourself. 'I have to do something before the opportunity is gone,' you think to yourself.

 

 

Then, sneaking a glance around to see the street is empty, you pluck up the courage to make a move. You lock eyes with Kai, staring into his irises and trying to read his emotions. Slowly, you inch your face closer to his, standing slightly on your toes to reach. His eyes flick to your lips and back up to your eyes as you move ever closer. It takes all your courage to close the gap, but you do. You close your eyes as your lips meet, feeling electric sparks all over your body. Nothing around you matters anymore - not the harsh wind, not the people around you, not the fact that the sky is now fading to dark and the town is beginning to light up. All that you care about is Kai, the feeling of his arms around you, the way his kiss is making your heart pound and your stomach twist. As you open your eyes when you pull away, you can feel a blush creeping across your cheeks. He is smiling at you but you can't smile back until you get one more answer. "Did you feel something then?" you ask him softly, staring into his eyes. His face softens and he gently lifts a strand of hair out of your eyes. "Yes, I did," he replies. You smile wryly.

"Then don't tell me it wouldn't bother you if I dated someone else."

At this, Kai smiles and pulls you in for a cuddle. You close your eyes and just savour his embrace. The wind is buffeting your back but you don't care; Kai's warmth is more than enough to keep the cold at bay. "Look," he says. You lift your head to see the sky is now dusky grey, with an inky purple-red sunset breaking the clouds in the distance. The street lamps have come on, their mellow glow radiating a warm light that falls in pools on the pavement. As you look closer, you can see tiny whisks of white and silver tumbling through the air, seeming to dissolve into the air as they go.

 

 

It's snowing.

 

 

A small, fascinated breath escapes your lips at the sight in front of you. People walking up and down in the distance send echoing taps of feet drifting through the air, cutting through the cold with amazing clarity. You look up at Kai and smile. He returns it, his eyes turning into crescent moons. "I suppose we should be getting home soon," he says.

"But I like being here with you," you reply softly, resting your head on his shoulder. He chuckles slightly and pats your head.

"We'll see each other on Monday," he chides. You smile.

"I know. Even if you're far away, I know the strengh if your love more than anybody else."