The Fall of the Maknae. Literally.

A Sick Maknae

 

"Boys, it's time to wake up," Eunkwang called out groggily, his mind still in its half awake state. Groans were heard from the rest of the members. The blonde-haired member went around shaking s awake, starting with Minhyuk.

"Minhyuk ah," he murmured. "Help me out with making breakfast for the kids, yeah?"

He received a murmur of agreement in reply to his question.

While the BTOB members were slowly getting out of their beds one by one, they failed to notice a certain maknae shivering in his bed.

There was only one word Sungjae would use to describe his condition right now: horrible. He felt extremely lethargic and there were imaginary weights on his head.

Urgh, my limbs ache all over. I can't be sick, Sungjae thought to himself. We've got dance practice today. I must go.

"Sungjae ah, wake up."

He feels someone shaking his body. It's time to get out of bed, he realizes. The hyungs are more or less done. He recognizes that voice as his Ilhoonie hyung's.


Ilhoon went to check on his only dongsaeng. Most of the members were already out of bed and were either washing up or already washed up.

When he walks into their bedroom, he sees their youngest member bundled up in his blanket. He shook that bundled up boy gently.

"Sungjae ah, wake up."

He could see movement occurring from under the blanket and soon, the youngest rose from his sleep. Noticing the flushed face of Sungjae's, he realized that something might be wrong with him.

"Sungjae, are you okay?"

All he got was a dull nod from the younger one.

“Okay then, if you say so. Come on, go get ready.”

Once Sungjae climbed down from his bed, a wave of nausea hit him. He stumbled forward and was forced to take a seat on Hyunsik’s bed.

I need to go out. If not the hyungs will worry. I don’t wanna make the hyungs worried.

After few minutes of stillness to ease that nauseating feeling, he walked out.


Minhyuk sensed that something was wrong. He kept his eye fixed on Sungjae who was eating breakfast – well, more like “eating”. The boy barely touched the food that was prepared for him. Instead, he had opted for a glass of water to drink instead. He had noticed the paleness of their maknae and he looked… different today. He looked weak and lifeless. Sungjae’s eyes would be full of excitement and he would be cheerful but today, it was dull and he was quiet which was very unlike him. Eunkwang also noticed the unusually unexcited Sungjae. Though the others were all hyped up, Sungjae seemed to be unaware of his surroundings.

Minhyuk placed a hand on Sungjae’s shoulder and asked, “Sungjae, you look really unwell today…” He squeezed his the youngest’s shoulder. The black-haired boy threw a smile (a forced one at that, Eunkwang and Minhyuk could tell) at them and reassured them that he would be fine.


There was a churning in his stomach. It killed his appetite for breakfast. Sungjae felt guilty that he wasn’t able to take in the breakfast that Minhyuk had prepared for him but if he ate, he’d probably end up vomiting. Actually, he didn’t even need to eat. He felt like dizzy and he felt like puking.

Why does the air feel so cold? Why the hell is my vision so hazy all of a sudden? Why are Eunkwang hyung and Minhyuk hyung upside down…?

And then everything happened and he heard his name being called from faraway. More like alarmed cries for him.


“Sungjae!”

Everything happened so suddenly. The moment Sungjae collapsed, everyone went into a state of panic. Eunkwang managed to catch the boy before he made direct contact with the ground. Peniel had rushed over from where he was to attend to the maknae. Everyone else stood where they were, stunned. Sungjae rested his head in the crook of Eunkwang’s neck so the leader was able to feel the boy’s fever. The sick boy let out a whimper of pain and he shivered.

“He’s having a really high fever. I’ll carry Sungjae to my bed. Minhyuk, could you prepare a tub of water and a cloth? Peniel, call manager hyung and let him know that Sungjae isn’t well and request all of Sungjae’s schedules of this week to be cancelled. Everyone else, go to your schedules. The three of us will handle it from here.”

He could see that the ones who had schedules were reluctant to leave the dorm. They were all worried for their maknae but hey, schedules are schedules. Gotta stick to them. Sliding an arm underneath the boy’s thighs, Eunkwang carried Sungjae to their bedroom and let him rest on his bed.

Today was free of schedules but it was still gonna be hell of a time to get the maknae’s fever to go down.