Chapter 3

221B: Tales of Mystery and Intrigue

 

- Chapter 3 -

 

The sky was a dense, sombre grey. Rain fell in torrents, hammering against Kyungsoo's umbrella as he followed Baekhyun past endless rows of tombstones. The air smelled like grass and the earth beneath his shoes was wet and soft. He tried to push away all thoughts of the bodies that lay inches beneath his feet.

"I don't think intruding on a funeral is a good idea," he muttered. They had received word that morning of Kim Dani's burial and Baekhyun had insisted on paying a visit.

"Who says we're attending a funeral?" Baekhyun replied as they trudged towards the far side of the cemetery, where a small group of black-clad figures were standing around a freshly-dug grave. He was envious of his friend's nonchalance; being a detective had its benefits, and being resilient against supernatural fears was one of them. 

"Then what are the flowers for?" Kyungsoo held up the large bouquet of lilies they had purchased from a young, wide-eyed flower-seller.

"Why, they're for Mister-no, Misses Park Heebon of course." They came to a stop before a random tombstone a few rows behind Kim Dani's. Kyungsoo bent and laid the flowers at the foot of the stone slab, sending a silent apology to Heebon (whoever she was).

A sharp wail pierced the air. Kyungsoo could hear a dull thunk as a small casket was lowered into the ground. The sobbing woman seemed to be Dani's mother, whose anguished cries of "my darling" continued even after the undertaker had filled in the grave. After patting the down the mound of earth, the undertaker shouldered his shovel and began limping towards them.

"How do, Mister Byun?" The man flashed them a crooked yellow smile. Kyungsoo tried not to grimace at his ratty clothes and the ill-fitting cap pulled over his balding head. The man looked in dire need of a bath, preferably one that did not involve rainwater.

"Any news of late, Undertaker?" Baekhyun asked as he pulled out a coin and pressed it into the man's dirt-stained palms. The undertaker quickly tucked it in the voluminous folds of his cloak, as if afraid it would disappear if he hesitated.

"Kept an eye out for a month, I did, but no graves been disturbed since the last time."

Baekhyun nodded, as if he had expected the news. "Thank you for your trouble." The undertaker hobbled away.

"What exactly did he mean by 'disturbed'?" Kyungsoo whispered, uneasy.

"A few graves were dug up a few weeks ago and the corpses were gone." His friend merely frowned slightly, as if the matter was more cryptic than frightening. "Most were fresh corpses and there were no commonalities asides from the fact that all were female."

Kyungsoo shuddered and glanced around warily. What if the ghosts of the women were still here, waiting to attack the one who disturbed their eternal rest? Or perhaps they were flesh-eating zombies who had risen of their own accord, preparing for their next meal? His overactive imagination was thankfully halted when the subjects of their espionage began to disperse. Only Dani's mother-now crying quietly into her handkerchief- remained by her daughter's grave.

"What are you doing here? " The speaker who approached them was tall, with slanted brows and a hard, angry mouth. His eyes were narrowed into slits as he glared at Baekhyun.

"Ah, Mister Woo. I was merely visiting my dear great-aunt."

Woo Jiho snorted as he glanced at the grave. "The one who died fifty years ago?"

"She was a delightful woman, so my mother tells me," Baekhyun shrugged, his features smoothed of all expression save for mild courtesy. "My condolences," he added, nodding towards Dani's grave.

Something changed in the man's cold eyes. He drove his walking stick into the ground, inches away from Baekhyun's feet. "It's none of your concern, detective." And with one last glare, he rejoined the other mourners and marched away.

*****

"Woo Jiho was a classmate of ours at Eton's," Baekhyun explained to Kyungsoo. They were sitting beside the blazing fireplace together with a sodden Chanyeol, who had joined them for afternoon tea. 

"Nasty temper." Chanyeol made a face. "And stupid too."

"Not that you have any right to judge. Your marks were abysmal." Kyungsoo pressed his lips together to suppress his smile, but Chanyeol must have seen it anyway. Only the viscount was childish enough to give him a hearty kick beneath the table. 

"Anyway, all the professors were terrified he would blow up some day, so they expelled him."

Baekhyun nodded. "Rumour was, he threw a poker at a maid and burned half her arm. Purportedly, it was not his first offence which was why he was asked to withdraw from the school."

They sipped their tea, each mulling over the case. Kyungsoo did not know Woo Jiho as well as the other two, but the man at the cemetery certainly seemed capable of violence. It was in his eyes, an anger that bubbled beneath the surface, threatening to explode. 

"Mrs. Shin, would you fetch another cup of tea" Baekhyun glanced at his pocket watch. "Oh, and a tray of sandwiches for our guest who should be arriving any minute." As he had predicted, the doorbell rang moments later and their visitor was ushered in.

He was a boy with tanned skin and wild black hair soaked with rain. He entered soundlessly, moving with the power and agility of a panther.  As he dipped into a bow, his dark eyes swept the room, taking in every detail. Kyungsoo almost squirmed beneath the boy's meticulous scrutiny.

"Prompt as always, Kai." Baekhyun gestured towards the sofa. "Please, have a seat."

The boy stuffed a sandwich in his mouth, as if he had not eaten in days. It was probably not far from the truth; Kyungsoo could see the stains on his sleeves and the scratches on his worn boots. One of the many orphans roaming the city streets, no doubt.

"Do you know of Madame Kim Heechul?" The boy nodded. "I would like you and your friends to keep watch, covertly of course, over her establishment. Try if you can to learn the names of her clients and what they purchase. Report to me every evening and I will ensure you are compensated for your troubles."

Kai washed down the sandwich with a large gulp of tea. "How much are we talking about?" A stubborn haggler's look had crossed his face.

"A copper per name and a meal each night until the end of your assignment."

"Two coppers and I want supper for my boys too." Baekhyun looked as if he wanted to argue, but Chanyeol called "Done!" before he could say a word. A few coppers were nothing to a viscount whose lavish tastes included fifty-year-old wine and caviar from the Black Seas. 

The boy managed to down two more sandwiches before leaving.

"Your negotiation skills are pathetic," Baekhyun said. "You'll be the one paying him, you know."

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. "You're just plain stingy. Shame on you, making poor innocent orphans do all your work."

"Why do it myself when they can do it better?" Kyungsoo was inclined to agree. Donning a disguise and running around the city along with Baekhyun was an adventure he could do without.