Without Each Other

Second Chance

I smiled as the salty solution slowly made its way towards the ground. Drip. Drop. The wet spots tarnished the once clean, black marble floor as I watched the scene unfold before me. Why was I so foolish? Why did I believe he would change? Why did I give him a second chance? A second chance to break my heart all over again. I shook my head sadly as my hand automatically made its way to my abdomen. I had been pondering over what I should do with this being, I knew for a fact that he wouldn’t have liked the news but I loved him and I wanted this creature growing inside of me.
 

My eyes flashed to the scene before me once again. I didn’t recognise the girl. Should I be glad that I didn’t recognise her? Was I expecting the female to be someone else? But heck, I had expected this whole scene to replay before me and it did. I had expected this. Was I prepared for it? Maybe because deep down, I knew he wouldn’t change who he was, a playboy. Yet a part of me, wished and hoped that he would. But he didn’t. He was doing his deed all over again. Whether he was expecting to be caught red handed or not, I don’t know but he was. I watched as he whispered sweet words to her.
 

I stayed rooted to the ground. Frozen. As both of their heads snapped up, looking towards the half-opened door, courtesy of the sound of his friend who was now standing behind me, gawking at the scene before him. She was underneath him on the couch with only her innerwear and he was half-, stripped down to only his boxers. My eyes locked with his and we stared at each other, another tear slipped and my vision blurred. I closed my eyes before taking a deep breath, I glanced at the two who were unmoved, watching my every move. I turned around and met with four shocked faces. Guess they all saw what was happening. I smiled lightly before I took off, heading down the steep steps and towards the front door. I heard the commotion and sounds of frustration as I took my journey.... I ignored their screams of my name. I only wanted to get out of the place, to forget the painful memories, to get some fresh air, to relax, to move on and to finally leave everything behind for a new start.

 

I walked slowly down the pathway, enjoying the scenery before me. Was I being too calm about the situation? Maybe I was but I’m not going to weep my heart out again, not again for the same guy. I loved him, a lot and it would be a while before I moved on but I had lost my first being. I’m not going to let another disappear from this world before they even appeared.
 

I sat down on one of the sidewalk benches, observing the area and the doing of others. They all looked so happy; the parents smiled contently while they watched their kids laugh and grow. I watched at the loving scene before me with thoughts drifting to what my family would be like if I had him as my man and our children running around the house, teasing and laughing each other.
 

I smiled bitterly and snapped my head to the side as I heard the call of my name. I widened my eyes in surprise to see her standing there....my best friend in Australia. I had met her during my one and a half year stay at the country, from my escape of the pain created in South Korea. We grew very fond of each other and became best friends. She was the only one there for me when I lost my first child with him. I had no clue that I was pregnant till it was already too late. My depression was the reason and after finding that out, I only fell deeper into the dark hole. I locked myself up in my apartment, refusing to move or eat. I was a lifeless body who had already given up on everything and it was this demanding yet bubbly girl before me who helped me stand up again.
 

I jumped to my feet and ran to her with open arms. We hugged each other tightly as I cried in her arms. She stiffened with my sudden change in mood but slowly began to rub my back, soothing me to let go of all of my emotions that I had bottled up inside of me. And I was, I was letting all of my emotions out of me and this would be the last time I ever cried so hard. This would be the last and I knew she was going to make sure of that.
 

After stabilising my emotions, we walked around the park for a while before we settled on the prickly green grass. We stared into the distant before us in comfortable silence, observing the colourful and beautiful streaks plastered on the sky as the sun began its journey to leave. I didn’t know why I blurted out what I did but my best friend definitely didn’t take it well as she whipped her head to face me with wide eyes and a small gasp left her parted lips.


“Is it his?” was the only reply that followed.


“Yes” came my response and I felt her eyes harden.


“How?”
 

And so I stared in front of me and began explaining to her. How we bumped into each other, how he asked for another chance, how he kept on bothering me for this chance, how my heart slowly melted and agreed, how he looked so sincere when we went on casual dates, how he asked me to be his again, how he began to act weird around me, how it all felt so déjà vu and how I finally caught him.


"OWW!!" I whined as I finished my story, turning to give my so called friend who just knocked me on the head a glare.


"What was that for?"


"You're such an idiot! Why would you do that?" I immediately looked down at my entangled fingers and felt guilt and sadness wash over me.

"I don't know....." I mumbled sadly


"I mean seriously Minji-ah, how could you have with him without using a ?! Hello! Darling! It's like a basic thing you learn from school!" she replied with flailing arms.


"Oh gosh you're worried about that?!" I questioned with bewilderment. She placed a finger on her chin looking ahead of her as if she was thinking of a reply.


"I am mad at you for giving him a second chance but I also believe in second chances so I can't say much there but how could you forget protection?!" she complained.


"Too caught in the moment?" I sighed.


"Well what are you planning to do?"


"I th-" just when I was about reply, I felt a presence behind me and turned to meet his brown piercing eyes.


His eyes showed no emotion yet his stance exhibited his desperation. I felt the gaze of my friend on the both of us, looking back and forth at us as we stared at each other as if we were so in love and that we were the only ones that existed on earth and in this moment. I scoffed mentally at that thought. We were far from those fantasies. She seemed to have realize the tension between us as she leaned in to whisper, asking me if it was him. I turned to face her, giving her a stiff nod while breaking the staring contest with him.
 

Her next move shocked me yet it wasn't that surprising since it was my crazy and weird best friend. She got up from where we were sitting and went to kick him in the shin and then gave another kick very close to his crotch. I watched as his face contorted in pain and how he glared at her with furious eyes yet they turned blank as soon as she began the reasoning for her behavior. Our ears rang with her words and we stared at each other.


"When a girl gives you a second chance and when you beg for a second chance, use it wisely to show her she means something to you. If you were planning on cheating on her again, why the hell would you ask her to be yours for a second time? Old habits die hard or are you just a freaken douche-jerk-bag-idiot-of-a-"


We stared at each other and I saw the fury in his eyes burn as my best friend continued to ramble on. Our staring contest only fell apart when we turned to look at my best friend as she was pulled away by his hyungs. I panicked and wanted to go after her as she kept struggling and wriggling in their grip, shouting for them to release her. Yet I couldn't as a firm grip held onto me, keeping me in place and from moving. I turned to glare at the person, expecting it to be him and it was.


"What do you want Taemin?" I asked annoyed as I tried to wriggle out of his grip but he only tightened it and dragged me to a bench.

As we sat down, his grip slowly loosened. His hands slowly interlocking with mine as I tried to wriggle away. However, I completely froze as I heard his whispering.
 

"Just for once, let me hold you like this"


I sighed and gave up, looking straight ahead of me. I felt his gaze on me as we stayed in silence. He stretched out and one of his hands caressed my face. I smiled at his touch and closed my eyes. I wanted to remember his touches because I knew this would be the last time we saw each other. I am determined to make sure of that. I opened my eyes, burning with the salty solution as I felt his shift in position. I turned to look at him, our cheeks touching. He pressed his onto mine as his arms s around my waist.


I felt his slow movements as he moved from my cheek to my lips, he pressed his soft ones against my plump ones. It was a sincere and gentle kiss filled with all the emotions we shared and we both felt it, we didn't want to part because as soon as we did.....the moment would be gone and that's how I felt his desperateness to keep me close. His lips pressed harder and his tongue fought for entrance but I remained unmoved, letting him do only so much. I finally broke away from him with the desperate need of oxygen.
 

My chest heaved in the hurry for oxygen and my heart began a wild beating within. I stared at him and saw his eyes piercing mine. He moved again, closer towards me in attempt for another kiss but all I did was push him away. I stood from the bench and turned to face him.


"Let's break up Taemin" I said as I looked down at him. I saw a moment of confusion and then anger flicker across his eyes.


He glared at me as he stood up.


"Why?" came his angered voice.


"Why?" I asked him as I stared at him in disbelief.


"Do you really have to ask me? Or are you playing dumb? What were you doing just now in our house? In our room? On our bed? Tell me lee taemin, what the were you doing" I asked as my eyes stared hard into his, my voice unwavering as I saw the flicker of guilt in his eyes.


"But it's not like that! She was seducing me and I....I admit that I fell for it. That's because you weren't around for days! Don't tell me you just went to see my friend just to talk about things with him, you were probably ing him too weren't you?" came his harsh and accusing reply.


I stiffened at his reply. Yeah, maybe I wasn't so pure after all. I mean, I nearly did it with his friend...best friend in fact but we stopped before things could go any further. He took my silence as a yes and his eyes widened.


"So you did? You ed Jong In?" he whispered as he stared at me with disbelief.


How ironic. I smiled a bitter smile.


"So what if I did taeminnie? Werent you ing my cousin behind my back before as well? How does it feel dear? The feeling of betrayal. It's so sweet yeah?" I laughed slightly and shook my head.


"We both did wrong and we both wished for a second chance. This second chance proved that we're just not meant to be. Thanks for everything Taemin; the memories, the kisses and the love but I'm letting go of what I should've let go two years ago...."


I smiled through my tears and watched as a small clear tear slip down his cheek. I wiped the tear with my thumb and caressed his cheek. I leaned in, placing a quick and soft kiss on his lips before turning around to leave not once even looking back because I was finally able to realize what was the best for me. And that was to be away from him, to forget our love and live only for my baby...our baby.....

 

He stood rooted and watched her retreating back before he closed his eyes and let his tears flow freely down his cheek.


"I did you wrong and I'm sorry Minji-ah. Thank you for the moments and memories we shared" came his soft whisper.
 

He his heel and walked the opposite way.

 

This ended their love story; the different emotions they once shared were gone. And like how the waves will continue crashing against the rocks until no obstacles allow for a smooth path, their life will continue with risky situations until their last breath. The path of their lives allowed for them to meet as they intertwined with each other to form one but as it fell apart, their paths will continue to lead them on....just without each other.