PART 1

우리의 이야기

it has been 2 years now. 2 years isn't a short time. there's not much difference at the Incheon International Airport. but the airport itself reminds her of the day when she left 2 years ago. ever since then, not a thing she heard about Kai. about little Jongin. whenever she calls home, there was only stories of her family, but they never mentioned anything about Kai. it's obvious that her parents don't really like Kai that much.

 

 
actually, the reason why she went to Seoul, isn't anything to do with Kai. it's about her choice of moving on.
 
"Yoona-ya, wait for me!"
 
Yoona turned to where the voice came from. the person waved at her, and she waved back. he look like a nice person, with an average height, and a short yet soft brown hair, he held her hand.
 
"your brother will come for us, wont he?" he asked.
 
Yoona nodded. "I'll call him," she took out her phone and dialed her brother's number. "oppa, where are you? we're already landed....... ah, outside?........ Starbucks? Okay," she hang up and grabbed her luggage. "let's go"
 
 
 
 
 
"Jongin! deliveries!"
 
Kai was busy because of the customers on 'Ajumma Chiken Place', the place where he works part-time. "yes, ajumma!"
 
Kai works part-time at the Chicken Place is not for fun. it's for his college tuition and allowance. now he lives alone in the busy city of Seoul, which was the city he hated the most. it was his own choice to live by himself, without any allowance from his family. he wanted to live a life from his own sweat and hardwork.
 
 
 
 
 
in the car on the way home, Yoona texted Taemin, Kai's best friend, while the two boys are busy chatting. just let Taemin know that she's in Seoul now. she knew his number from Tiffany Hwang, because she was his closest senior.
 
to: 태민이 카이 친구
    Taemin-ah, I'm in Seoul now ^^ how are you?
 
from: 태민이 카이 친구
    noona, Kai is in Seoul, too. he studied in Yonsei University. he lives alone in a student dormitory. I'll sent you the address later, okay? I hope Kai is pleased to meet you.
 
Yoona was surprised. she didn't ask any of this, but Taemin already told her. she's even more surprised by how much Kai had matured. living in Seoul alone isn't easy, even for someone as brave as him.
 
after half an hour on the road, they finally arrived at Im family residence.
 
"aaah... it's so good to be home..." Yoona said as soon as she get off from the car.
 
Yoona took her luggage and went inside. followed by that guy. "eomma, appa, I'm home~!"
 
"Yoona-ya!" her mother came from the kitchen, still with her apron, she hugged her daughter. "you're thinner! you didn't eat well, did you?"
 
"no, eomma, I ate extremely well.." Yoona answered and she laughed.
 
"oh?" Mrs. Im saw the guy behind Seulong, and then she turned to Yoona. "is this the guy you were talking about?"
 
Yoona shyly nodded. "eomma, this is Xi Luhan"
 
"hello," Luhan bowed to Mrs. Im, while politely smiled.
 
"omo, he's cute" Mrs. Im whispered to Yoona. "you two go upstairs and change, okay? lunch is almost ready. Seulong-ah, you take our guest to the guest room"
 
"yes, eomma.." Seulong led Luhan to the guest room, while Yoona went to her own room.
 
 
 
 
 
Kai is on his way back to the campus after he finished his lunch-break part-time job. he still have class to attend. but first he needs to go to his room to change. his clothes smelled like chicken all over.
 
"Kai-ya, your mail's here" a friend gave him his mail. Kai recieved it and went upstairs to his room.
 
catalogues, catalogues, catalogues. there's a lot of catalogues addressed to him. he already told his family to send his letters here, but not the catalogues. maybe they forgot.
 
catalogues, catalogues, catalogues..... invitation? Kai put all the catalogues on the table, he took the pretty invitation tied with ribbon and opened it. it was an engagement party invitation. who's engaged?
 
.... Xi Luhan & Im Yoona ....
 
Kai's eyes went bigger. he read the names carefully again, and it's still 'Xi Luhan & Im Yoona'. it was addresses to his family, but they send it to him. he throw the invitation away. after 2 years without any news, now she's going to be engaged?
 
 
 
 
 
"what? eomma!" Yoona whined.
 
"yes, Yoona. we already sent out the invitations" Mrs. Im said.
 
"appa!"
 
"Luhan's family agreed, too. the engagement is next week. and after next week, there will be many preparation before the wedding" Mr. Im said.
 
"wedding??"
 
"isn't that why you came here?" Seulong interrupted.
 
"I said I was going to introduce Luhan to you, but not engagement... and marriage... when did you even talk about it??"
 
"when you invited us to Luhan's place in Beijing"
 
Yoona didn't say anything more. she don't know what to say. it's not that she hate Luhan. she likes him. but.. she's not ready yet for that kind of commitment. and Kai... Kai...
 
she went upstairs to the guest room, or Luhan's room for now.
 
"what is it, Yoong?" he asked. Luhan was upstairs after lunch, because Mr. Im said there was going to be a family meeting. he's not part of the family. looking at Yoona's expression, leaning against the door, frowning. there's definitely something wrong. "what's wrong?" he asked, full of concern.
 
"Luhan-ah," Yoona sat on the bed beside him.
 
"hm?"
 
"I.. I don't think I'm ready..."
 
Luhan let Yoona's head leaned against his shoulder. "I understand, but.." he brushed Yoona's hair with his fingers.
 
"but what?"
 
"this is why I come here. to propose to you"
 
Yoona sat up straight. "p..propose?"
 
Luhan nodded, he held Yoona's hand. "yes, propose. Yoong, will you marry me?"
 
there was a long silence between them, before Luhan's other hand reached a small red box on the table. he opened the box and a diamond ring is glowing in there. "I know it's too soon, but I hope you would say yes"
 
Yoona covered her lips, holding back the tears. she really don't know what to say. she can't even think straight.
 
Luhan is a great man. he was a transfer student from Beijing at the University that Yoona attends in the States. he can speak Korean well because Yoona teached him, and also because he's a fast learner. he's the most perfect figure anyone could imagine. he's a genius straight A student with good looks. but he was very shy, and quiet, only talk when he needs to. but Yoona's cheerful personality brights Luhan's. ever since he met her, all the perfection that he used to know is now focused on Yoona. she's the only person who can make him smile. even the little things that she do. even when she's fascinated by little things.
 
Yoona listens to Luhan well. despite how immature and childish she is, Luhan is the only one who can calm her down. he's the only person that she can count on.
 
and it's been 2 years since ther relationship started.
 
"I..."
 
Luhan looked at her with his puppy eyes. "I'm sorry, I should've... not.. uh.." he scratched the back of his head awkwardly, walking away from Yoona.
 
"yes,"
 
"what?" Luhan turn back to her.
 
"I said.. yes" Yoona answered one more time, while laughing.
 
"why.. are you laughing?"
 
"because..." she stopped laughing. "I didn't know the perfect guy, Xi Luhan has this awkward side"
 
Luhan smiled, and started laughing. "so.. yes?"
 
Yoona nodded, and smiled. "yes..."
 
Luhan ran to her and hugged her tightly. Yoona cling her arms onto his shoulder. still, inside her head she wasn't sure if it's a good decision.
 
 
 
***
 
 
 
Kai was on his way to the campus on this early morning. after buying bread at nearby vending machine, he stormed to the library, doing homework. he didn't do his homework last night because he couldn't. he kept staring at the invitation. even when he threw it in the bin.
 
"Kai-ya"
 
a voice stopped his steps. a very familiar voice that he missed the most. the voice he had never heard in years. he turned arround and saw that figure. that tall figure, the one whose hair used to be like ramyun, now straight and long.
 
they somehow end up in the campus cafetaria. it was awkward. Kai and his coffee, Yoona and her milk. even after all this time, she still hates coffee in the morning. coffee is good to relieve fatigue, but she thought that milk is better. like a little kid, drinking milk in the morning.
 
"how have you been?" Yoona asked, starting a conversation. she hates awkward atmosphere like this, so she had to do something.
 
"fine" Kai answered without looking at her. it seems like the childish noona that he used to know had matured. she looks more.. feminin, than the last time he saw her.
 
"I see," Yoona looked down, gulping her glass of fresh milk.
 
"I see you're doing well"
 
"yeah,"
 
"congratulations"
 
Yoona looked up to him. 'no way.. no way..' kept running in her mind.
 
"you know.. your engagement. next week, isn't it?"
 
"how..."
 
"your parents sent the invitation to my family. they sent it to me"
 
"I was planning to tell you..."
 
"be happy, then" Kai stood up, took a deep breath, and left her.
 
Yoona watched Kai's back walking away from her. tears formed, filling her eyes, before it rolls down on her cheek.
 
 
 
 
 
"Yoona-ya, where were you?" Mrs. Im saw Yoona arrived at home.
 
"I... met a friend" she weakly answered.
 
"this early?"
 
"I wanted to surprise her, so I went to her campus" she lied, putting on a weak smile.
 
"next time, don't run away like that. do you know how much Luhan is worried about you?"
 
"I'm sorry, eomma, I wont do that again, I promise" Yoona smiled, convicing enough for Mrs. Im to believe that she's okay.
 
"where's dad?"
 
"he went to work already"
 
"oh.." Yoona walks to Luhan who was sitting on the couch. she spontaniously hugged him from behind. "I'm sorry... did I make you worry?"
 
Luhan only smiled, and ruffled her hair. Yoona let go of him, but he still held her hand.
 
"ya... get a room, will you?" Seulong said, as he walked and saw the lovey-dovey couple.
 
"you get a girlfriend" Yoona said, sounds like mocking her brother.
 
"I'm popular, you know?"
 
"yeaaah I'll believe that"
 
"enough Yoona, Seulong. how can you two fight in front of our guest? Yoona-ya, give Luhan a tour arround Seoul" Mrs. Im stopped the two siblings quarrel.
 
"okay!" Yoona pulled Luhan's hand. "let's go!" she said, showing off her bright side, despite how hurt she was seeing Kai.
 
 
 
 
 
as much as Kai love to learn designing buildings, he couldn't focus because Yoona was visiting him earlier. he was a jerk to her back then, and is even worser jerk now. suddenly he regrets everything. why does he have to be so cold to her? he was dying to see her, now that she's back to Korea. but the fact that she's going to e engaged to someone he doesn't even know, is making him angry.
 
"Jongin?" his next-door neighbor asked, who is also in the same department as him, named Oh Sehun.
 
"what?"
 
"you know you're supposed to write what the professor said.. it's important for the upcoming exam.."
 
"oh? really?" Kai realized that his notes is still blank, even after half an hour of class.
 
"you can borrow mine"
 
"thanks,"
 
Oh Sehun is a rather quiet, but he speaks with Kai the most. even so, Kai still don't know his background. where's his hometown, about his family, and stuffs. meanwhile Kai is very open about his life. Sehun is always there when he needs someone to talk to. when Taemin is just too far to reach.
 
"something bothering you?"
 
"not really... just tired"
 
"with all the part time?"
 
"yeah, that too"
 
"hey, are you free next week?"
 
"what day?"
 
"Sunday"
 
"sure, it's my only day off"
 
"my friend invited me on a party, but I can't go alone"
 
"you want me to go with you?"
 
"yeah.. it's awkward. I don't really close with this friend. he's just someone whom I know from the internet"
 
"ooh.. cyber friend..."
 
"please... you can bright up atmosphere, right?"
 
"not always.."
 
"please....."
 
"alright" Kai thought it's a good idea. he doesn't need to go to Yoona and Xi Luhan's engagement party, does he?
 
 
 
 
 
Luhan and Yoona first stop is Namsan Tower. it's nice to go up there when not many people came. and anyway, there's one thing that Yoona would like to do.
 
"I saw this on TV.." Luhan said as he saw sooo many colourful locks with writings on it in various languages. it's childish, but Yoona likes it, it makes her happy, and he liked it when she's happy.
 
"I already bought one!" Yoona showed a sky blue lock that she bought not long ago. she took out a pen and write on it. 'LuYoon, please let us be together forever! <3'
 
"now what do I have to do?" he asked when Yoona handed the lock to him.
 
Yoona saw an empty spot to put their lock. "here! put it here!"
 
"okay.."
 
Yoona locked it with the key.
 
"now what?"
 
they supposed to throw away the key to make it 'unbreakable', but if anyone wanted to look for the key, they have to look for it on the huge pile of keys, which is imposible to do. "finish! now let's go eat  patbingsoo!"
 
"what is that?"
 
"you'll like it, let's go" Yoona pulled Luhan's arm.
 
they enjoyed the morning eating patbingsoo, and then they went to other places. Luhan followed where Yoona take him to. he's just happy to see Yoona's smile.
 
"I'm hungry" Luhan said.
 
"me too.. I was planning to have pork cutlets, but the best isn't in this neighborhood.. and I'm already hungry, so.." Yoona saw a chicken place called 'Ajumma Chicken Place'. many people went there. the place was packed by people. "how about there?"
 
Luhan nodded, and they walked to the store. "wow, I wonder how tasty their food is, looking at this many people.."
 
"I never heard of this place before.. must be new"
 
they sat on one of the empty table. a waiter come up to them and asked what would they like to order.
 
 
 
 
 
"Jongin! London Chicken for table 12!"
 
"got it" Kai took a tray with London Chicken on it, and take it to table 12. "here you go, your London Chicken........." Kai paused when he saw the customer(s). a woman, who he could easily recognize, and the other one is a guy who doesn't seem any older nor the same age as Yoona. he looked... he was the same age as Kai.
 
"Kai-ya..." Yoona called, as soon as she recognize the person. her smile faded.
 
Kai quickly hid his face with the tray. "sorry, you must be wrong..." he said and stormed off to the counter.
 
"you know that waiter?" Luhan asked, curious.
 
"he was, uh.. childhood friend. I told you my family used to live in Yongin, right? he's a friend from there. like a brother to me"
 
"oh.." that's the only respond she got from him. "but he said.."
 
"he's just shy, I guess" Yoona awkwardly poked the chicken with her fork.
 
"introduce him to me, next time"
 
"what?"
 
"I want to know your friends, too"
 
"sure, next time" Yoona said, as she put up her best fake smile. "um,"
 
Luhan looked up to her as he bite the chicken, heard doubts on Yoona's tone.
 
"how about after this, I introduce you to him?"
 
"really? okay, then"
 
 
 
 
 
after his shift is over, Kai went back to his room to change, and then get to the campus. but just like de ja vu, it happened again just like this morning. he saw Yoona at his campus. the only difference is someone is beside her now. that guy. he guessed it must be Xi Luhan.
 
"what are you doing here?" he asked.
 
"Kai-ya, I.. uh.. I just want to introduce him to you. this is.."
 
"Xi Luhan, right? I saw the invitation"
 
"yeah.. Luhan-ah, this is.."
 
"I'm Kim Jongin," he cut off Yoona again. "are you finished? I have to go back to class" Kai walked away without even bother to properly greet Luhan.
 
"sorry.." Yoona said. "he has a bad attitude.."
 
"it's okay.. maybe I'll see him again at the engagement party"
 
Yoona nodded. "let's go somewhere else. do you want to see musical? or something else?"
 
"you recommend it to me" Luhan held her hand.
 
 
 
 
 
from afar, Kai can see Yoona seems comfortable and... happy arround that Xi Luhan. he thought this is what she meant about 'living happily... in our own seperate ways'. well, Yoona got her way. but what about Kai?
 
Kai took out his cellphone and dialed Taemin's number. he couldn't reach his no. 1 best friend lately because Taemin was busy with the internship program he joined. he just wish that kid had a free time right now.
 
"Kai-ya! talk to me!" Taemin said  as soon as he saw Kai's name on the screen.
 
"yeah... I, uh... met noona"
 
"........really? what did she say?"
 
"do you know she's going to be engaged?"
 
"no... with who anyway?"
 
"Xi Luhan?"
 
"who han?"
 
"I don't know this guy, either"
 
"Kai?"
 
"what?"
 
"you do care, don't you?"
 
"no, I just.... I don't know"
 
"I wish I could just go to Seoul and lecture you"
 
"don't. lecturing me on the phone is annoying enough"
 
"you know, that feeling of feeling when you feel like you're mad, sad, but happy at the same time. that's.."
 
"what?"
 
"love"
 
"huh? did you watch dramas again?"
 
"no! well, yes.. but this is something you can relate to!"
 
"oh, really?"
 
"yeah! think about it,"
 
"it's called karma"
 
"you said it was love"
 
"yeah... what I'm trying to say here is, you love Yoona noona. she WAS in love with you. NOW she loves someone else. got it?"
 
"so when she's in love with someone else, I... love her? love?"
 
"bingo"
 
"love? Taemin-ah"
 
"Kai-ya, I gotta go. it's urgent. I'll call you when I have time, okay? bye!"
 
"but.. yoboseyo? aish"
 
 
 
***
 
 
 
one week later, on Sunday, her two best friends, who will be her 2 bridesmaids later at the wedding, Choi Sooyoung and Tiffany Hwang, helped Yoona getting ready. it was a soft knee-length pink dress. she didn't do anything with her hair. it was so simple, but anything looks good on her without she even make an effort.
 
"Yoona-ya... you look so pretty!" Tiffany said, fascinated by her best friend and hugged her.
 
"Fany-ah, you'll ruin the dress" Sooyoung said. "do you know how important today is?"
 
Tiffany pull away. "I'm just so happy for you! you've finally found someone!"
 
Yoona gave them a smile. deep inside, she wasn't sure if this is the right decision. she had always been making a right decision, but this one...
 
a knock was heard on the door. "are you done yet? can I come in?" Luhan's voice was heard after the knock.
 
"yes" Tiffany replied with a huge smile on her face. she's sure that Luhan will be soooo fascinated when he saw his fiancè-to-be.
 
Luhan opened the door, and his eyes grew bigger when he saw the stunning Yoona, who is shyly smiled.
 
"awww she's pretty, isn't she?" Tiffany nudged Luhan.
 
"come on, Fany, give them some time alone" Sooyoung said and pushed Tiffany towards the door. now only Yoona and Luhan in the room.
 
"how do I look?" Yoona asked.
 
"do you even have to ask?"
 
"of course! I want to look good on this special day!"
 
"you are beautiful" Luhan reached out his hand.
 
Yoona smiled and held his hand. "let's go"
 
 
Kai and Sehun arrived at the venue Sehun was talking about.
 
"engagement party?" Kai asked, this party reminds him of Yoona and that Luhan.
 
"yeah. my cyber friend chinese, and is older than me, and he said his girlfriend is korean"
 
"oh..."
 
they watched as the couple walked to the room. Kai didn't recognize them at first, but then he can see clearly that it's Yoona.
 
"what's the name of your cyber friend?" Kai asked, sounds trembling because he's afraid that he came to their engagement party.
 
"Xi Luhan, why?"
 
Kai was right. his feeling was right. he shouldn't have come. but he can't just go. he might upset Sehun. he promised.
 
after Luhan and Yoona exchange rings, they bowed to the crowd and that's when Yoona's eyes met Kai. she thought he wouldn't be there... but why?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
part 1. done. part 2 coming soon...