Waking Up

The Day that Changed My Life Forever

Your Point of View:

 

 

I groan as I feel light enter the room, my roommate is awake I guess. I decide to keep on with my slumber, but I guess fate did not want me to. "Oh my God!!!!" I was awakened by the noise of my roommate's screaming. Oh great, he is probably watching another one of those dramas and something dramatic happened and now he is over reacting as usual. I told him those dramas won't help him in any way whatsoever but he watches it anyways. I groan as I hear him running around the room and I ask, "Hey can you keep it down I'm trying to sleep,”. "Oh my God you can't believe it what I just saw; c'mon get up you need to see this!" he exclaimed. "Did Donghae break up with that girl again in your drama?" My voice filled with sarcasm. "No!!! Not yet; well that's not the point. What I am trying to say is that the tower," he stopped and starts shaking. "What tower are you talking about?! Hey, you're scaring me, stop shaking!" 

Worry starts to fill me as he points towards the window. I walk over and am appalled at the sight of one of the World Trade Center towers being engulfed in flames. "What happened?" I ask as I walk over to my roommate who is looking down on the floor. "I saw it, the plane crashed into the building. I woke up from your snoring so I decided to open the windows a bit and just as I was about to leave to go make breakfast, I saw a plane heading straight into the tower. At first I thought that it was an optical illusion but then it literally crashed into the tower. We can't stay home, who knows what building might get hit next." I slowly took in the information and I slowly pull him into my arms and we race out of our condo and run to the elevators as we see other people waiting for the elevator to arrive to the 36th floor. Out of the corner of my eye I see a husband and wife holding hands and I see tears fall down from the wife's face. "Are you alright madam?" is what I ask as I walked over to them. "Our son works at the World Trade Center." I gave them a comforting smile and said, "I'm sure he got out by now and that everything is fine" I went back to my roommate and held his hand as we step into the elevator. It was pure silence as the elevator went down. It's as if you can hear the beating hearts of the husband and wife as they worry for their son. 

A block away from the towers and you could already smell the mixture of burned papers and gas. As we approach the towers our steps get slower and slower and we stop as we witnessed the most horrific scene in the world. The second tower has been hit by another airplane. I grip my roommate's hand tighter as fear took over our souls. Time seemed to pass like a lifetime as we just stood there shocked by this scene. We would see people jump off the tower and it brought tears to my roommate. I console him as we pray that things will be alright. We see a crowd emerge from the streets as we see people walking towards our direction and we realized that police told them to move back for it is dangerous. Siwon was hesitant at first, but we then started walking uptown. "Are you okay?" I ask Siwon as we continue to walk. "I'm scared" I could sense the fear in his words as I pulled him closer and put my arm around him, "Everything will be okay, I'm here." Our footsteps were stopped as we hear rumbling and a screaming noise in the background. Heads turn back but only to be turned back again as people start running for their lives. I grip Siwon hand as we dash across the streets, running away from the dust that is eating everyone up like a wave crashing into the shore. We walk into an alley where we saw an empty garbage disposal and decide to hide in there for the mean time. 

Minutes passed for what felt like hours and we open the disposal but only to be blinded by the dust and debris that surrounded us. Hand in hand we walk towards the streets to see that nobody else was there. We start to walk around to see any signs of life. A light soon approached us and from the distance we saw a tall figure dressed in white. We paused for a moment as we saw God right in front of us and from what we see, we were in heaven. I saw a man pass by us and I see that he looked familiar; he was the son of the husband and wife that we met while waiting for the elevator. I smile and wave at him and turn around to see Siwon smile at me as we hand in hand walk towards the gates of heaven.