3

Composure

 

Later that day, both Kris and Tao were called into the principal's office. His office was fairly large (for an office) and painted an odd sort of beige color that wasn't too aesthetically pleasing, but was probably easy to decorate (beige always was, you just had to buy more beige things to go with it). The principal himself sat in a big beige chair at a slightly beige colored desk. There was a set of three chairs in front of his desk, where the students sat. 

 

Both Kris and Tao had been in this office before, for multiple reasons, mostly good, and a few bad, but never anything serious.

 

The principal sat both of them down on the couch.

 

They knew why they were there.

 

"Public. Display. Of. Affection." The principal said. Both of them internally groaned. They stopped paying attention after that. They didn't even bother to mention the fact that other, heteroual, couples face in those hallways every day. Both of them grew progressively redder, but still paid little attention. Tao's hand found Kris's and they linked fingers. The principal didn't appear to notice.

 

The one thing that made them really notice what the principal was saying was when the words, "I will be sending a notice to both of your families," left his lips.

 

Then, Tao froze up. Kris grabbed onto his hand more firmly. The principal noticed this time.

 

"Good god, you two. Stop! This kind of behavior is not tolerated in this school! It’s written quite clearly in the rules and in the student handbook. I hope you will rethink your judgment next time."

 

They darted out with muffled ‘Sorry sir’s.

 

And Kris had never seen Tao so stunned before. Even after that kiss. Tao looked absolutely paralyzed. Like he was going to break down and cry at any moment.

 

"What's wrong?" Kris asked.

 

"My parents… are going to kill me." Tao said.

 

Kris took his hand, "You'll be fine."

 

"No. I won't be! You don't know my parents… you've only met them when they're behaving for company."

 

Kris decided not to speak. He patted his boyfriend on the shoulder. "You'll be alright in the end."

 

He watched Tao walk towards the bus, head held high and regal as usual. His shoulders were square and stiff and there was blatant fear in his eyes. Fear and nothing and everything. Kris had never felt so terrible. There was part of Kris that just wanted to tell Tao that everything would be okay, but he knew that Tao wouldn't believe him. Tao wasn't stupid.