Falling

Not Another Happy Ending

Suyeon is the daughter of a business tycoon. All her life, men have been falling head over heels for her; not because of her bright personality, but because of her money and social status. Suyeon meets Kai in a library but little does she know…it is no mere coincidence. She realizes that he is different from the rest and Mary falls in love right then and there. Weeks pass and they grow closer together; slowly but surely.

One night, Suyeon invites him to her house for dinner. Kai gladly accepts with a smile knowing that she has never invited a man into her house before. However, Suyeon can’t help but think that there is something…unusual…about it. She shrugs the feeling off thinking that it’s just her imagination.

While Suyeon is busy in the kitchen, Kai receives a call from an unknown number. “Kai, this is your last chance. Do it before we kill you.” His smile immediately vanishes  and sighs heavily.

“…I understand.” As Suyeon hums happily in the kitchen, she hears Kai softly call her name from behind.

 

“I love you.”              

 

Before she can turn around and inquire about his sudden confession, a curtain of black falls over her vision. The next morning, a news reporter standing outside of Suyeon’s house says to a nearby camera, “Suyeon, Lee Sooman’s only child, has been found dead dangling from the ceiling. Many have assumed that she has committed suicide but the police seem to suspect foul play…”

From the roof of a nearby building, a man stands watching the chaos unfold. It is Kai. He speaks into his phone with a sad smile, “Mission complete. The assassination was a success.” He hangs up and sinks to the floor, his head buried in his hands. As the happy memories of the two of them flashes through his mind, a tear travels slowly down his face and drops onto the cold concrete ground. “I’m sorry Suyeon. I truly am.”

Unable to deal with the grief, Kai walks to the ledge. He jumps. The crowd screams in horror at his falling figure. As he hits the hard pavement, Kai wakes up in cold sweat, his chest heaving. He looks to right and is relieved to see his lovely wife, Suyeon, fast asleep. He embraces her, savoring her warmth.

It was only a dream.