Just Forget

Just Forget

“Oppa?”

“Yeah?”

Sooyoung’s eyebrows furrowed in thought. “Do you think all the stars have names already?”

Hankyung chuckled at her question; his eyes focused solely on the colourful sparkles in the evening sky. “Maybe… I don’t know. Why?”

“I want a star.” She stated simply. “Can you buy one for me?”

An eyebrow rose. “What if I don’t want to?”

The tall brunette pouted as she too laid beneath the open sky. One of her arms folded underneath her head, the grass tickling her bare skin. “You will.”

“How sure are you?” He laughed again.

“Because you love me.”

Hankyung didn’t bother to dignify her reply. “Heechul hyung hasn’t called me yet.”

“He doesn’t really notice anything or anyone else when he’s so focused on something…” She rolled her eyes good naturedly. “And he’s in Paris of all places. He’s really not going to mind any of us.”

“I’m pretty sure he’ll max out his credit card.” The Chinese native shook his head, adjusting his position on the grass. “I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near him when he gets his credit card statement.”

“You and me both, oppa.” Sooyoung agreed easily. “He’s going to throw a hissy fit… even if it’s his fault.”

“I wonder how Jessica puts up with him.” He thought out loud.

“There are pretty alike, aren’t they?” The leggy woman chuckled this time around when she got no reply. “Oppa?”

Hankyung snapped out of his thoughts those his gaze remained firmly fixed on the thousands of stars above him. “Yeah, they are.”

“Oppa?”

“Yes, Soo?”

“What are you thinking about?”

“Anything… Everything.” He answered simply.

Her eyes rolled. “That doesn’t say much.”

“It really wasn’t supposed to.” Hankyung deadpanned, laughing soon after. “I wonder what it’s like up there in the sky.”

“It’s probably really pretty… and really quiet and really cold.” She paused, waiting for the strong wind to brush past her before she continued; a hand reaching up to push the strands of hair off her face. “Colder than the wind down here.”

The Chinese native laughed once more. “You think so?”

“I know so.” A beat passed. “… Or at least that’s what I remember my science teacher saying back then.”

He shook his head in amusement, slowly sobering up after. “I think so too.”

Sooyoung easily heard the change in his tone. “What’s bothering you?”

“I wish life was this simple, you know?” The words were whispered but the meaning spoke volumes. “How I wish we could just stay like this, look up at the stars and… just forget.”

“I know, oppa… I know.” She sighed; her attention back to the multitudes of different coloured stars peppering the dark sky.

                Life was never easy. Sure, each person had his or her own and each life was unique in a way from the rest. But if there was one thing that every life had in common, it wasn’t always easy to live it. In the midst of all the hoopla and craziness of life, the smallest things begin to matter less and less… and Sooyoung knew that it was what was bothering Hankyung at the moment. He had it all it seemed… but there were consequences.

“We’ll forget everything, oppa, even for just tonight.”

“You make it seem so easy.”

“It won’t hurt to try, right?”

                Hankyung didn’t bother to reply, knowing that he didn’t really need to. They remained silent; the breeze, silence and the stars in the sky their only company. But no sooner did Hankyung start forming shapes out of the stars in the sky that Sooyoung began rambling on and on about everything that popped into her mind – from food to the itchiness of the grass to Brad Pitt. Hankyung chuckled softly. He wanted to just forget the world and she was doing just that.

“It’s getting late… Shouldn’t we turn in already?”

Sooyoung pouted. “Oppa, you’re no fun.”

“I don’t want you to catch a cold.” He said simply. “Besides, we’ll do this again.”

“We will?” Her eyes lit up at the prospect. “We’ll go stargazing again?”

Hankyung laughed at her excitement. “Every night if you want.”

His answer seemed to easily appease the brunette; a yawn escaping her soon after. “Good night from Seoul.”

“Good night from Beijing.”

Then the line went dead.