To Your Heart

To Your Heart

 

Flipping through the family album, the memories of the old days appeared in Shin Mi’s mind. Her life was loaded with unforgettable memories especially that of her best friend. She had not seen them since her family moved to Seoul five years ago.

 

In Shin Mi’s book, school felt just like a series of TV commercials. The days were rebroadcasted over and over again. Until one day, the probability of Shin Mi’s life to change might actually happen.

 

***

“You may take your class timetable and go to your first lesson,” the clerk told the transfer student while handing him a sheet of paper.

 

The transfer student thanked the clerk and made his way to the Art room which was the first lesson according to the timetable. When he arrived, the Art teacher introduced him to the class.

 

“This is Kim Jong In,” the teacher said, “He’ll be your new classmate from now on.”

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, Kim Jong In-imnida,” the young lad introduced himself.

 

Shin Mi, who was at first taking no interest and busy scribbling on her sketchpad, suddenly paused and looked up at the new transfer student.

 

“Oppa?!” she exclaimed loudly in surprise causing the class to look at her in confusion. She then pretended to clear and slumped herself back on her chair when she realized every eye was on her.

 

“Shin Mi?” Kai whispered to himself, surprised to see his long lost best friend.

 

“You may take a seat now,” the teacher signalled Kai and immediately continued her last saying on the current topic to bring back the pupil’s attention.

 

Kai then marched towards an empty seat beside Shin Mi.

 

“Hey!” Kai murmured, “You didn’t tell me you’re studying in this school… How are you? It’s been a while!”

 

“Yes it has! I’m great. What about you?” Shin Mi spoke softly, afraid to be caught by her Art teacher, “How did you go to this school? I haven’t seen you around for a long time.”

 

“I’m good. Ah, my father got promoted for a better job in the city, so we moved out and live here,” Kai stated.

 

“That’s amazing! Finally we can see each other like the old days again,” Shin Mi felt delighted, “My parents must be really happy when they know all of you are here.”

 

Kai beamed, dazzled by his old friend’s excitement.

 

Shin Mi brought him back to reality when she held his shoulder and said, “Say my congratulations to your father, okay?”

 

“Sure! Gomawo, Shin Mi-ah.”

 

Both of them seemed very happy to see each other. The encounter of the two best friends had started a new chapter of their lives. After having a short conversation, the two persons instantly had their attention back to the lesson. Since it was Kai’s first day in the school, he could barely understand what he was actually been taught that day.

 

***

The school had just ended. Kai took Shin Mi for a walk home. He really missed doing it for the last five years. Moreover, he wanted to drop by to visit her parents. Her parents had been really nice to him since he was a child. After all, his parents were the girl’s parents’ best friends. They had a really great relationship back when they were still little kids.

 

“Oppa...” Shin Mi uttered while walking down the street.

 

“Nae?” Kai turned to look at her.

 

“I missed you,” she blurted.

 

Kai suddenly felt nervous. He tried to smile, “You… You missed me?”

 

“Of course I do. It’s been ages since we last met,” Shin Mi smiled widely. “Don’t you miss me?”

 

 He looked into her eyes and his heart pounded. That smile made him feel something weird like never before. He remembered the last time he saw that smile was the moment when he sent her to the airport but that time, he didn’t feel anything like it was now.

 

Kai startled when Shin Mi shouted after calling his name for six times and waving her hands in front of his face. Shin Mi chuckled, placing her hands away from him, and apologized for making him frightened.

 

“Where were you just now? Were you in heaven?” she teased, “Ha-ha, same old Kai oppa~.”

 

Kai glared at her and ruffled her hair.

 

“Oppa, not the hair!” she shouted, slapping his hand childishly.

 

***

“I’m home!” Shin Mi said as she opened the door with Kai following her steps at the back.

 

“Welcome back!” her mother replied, “Oh? Kai?”

 

“Nae, long time no see...” Kai bowed.

 

“How did you-” Mrs. Park responded to him and said but interrupted by Shin Mi’s small but audible laugh.

 

“Surprised?” Shin Mi questioned her mother, the remaining laugh still painted on her face, “So did I when my teacher introduced him to class.”

 

“He just moved into town. His father has been promoted. It’s so great to finally meet them since we didn’t have time to visit our hometown,” she added.

 

“That’s wonderful. Where do you live now, Kai?” Mrs. Park asked the young man.

 

“Not far from here. Just a few blocks away across the road,” he explained shortly.

 

Mrs. Park seemed very pleased. She finally could see her two friends. I shall tell honey when he gets home later. He must be really happy. It’s been a while we didn’t visit them after all so I think he may want to go to their new home and bring some house warming gift.

 

“Have a sit, Kai,” she remarked, “I’ll make some tea for you.”

 

***

Six months passed. Shin Mi and Kai became closer than they used to be back in childhood. Kai started to develop a feeling toward the girl but didn’t dare to speak up. He was afraid if the girl was not feeling the same way as him and the amazing friendship they had would not be the same as the way it was now. He didn’t want any of those to happen. He then decided to hold it back as he recently overheard people talking about her currently going out with Kyung Soo.

 

However, Kai felt as if it was wrong to not speak up his heart and tell the truth about how he felt for her. So, he tried to make hints for her to figure out. He tried everything to make her understand although he didn’t do it as openly and straight forward as other guys would do.

 

He tried everything. But she seemed to not see anything from his actions. Maybe she wasn’t familiar with it, he thought, maybe I should really talk to her and tell her how I feel about her. He sighed. Shin Mi-ah, when will my feeling be able to reach you?

 

***

It was a cold Sunday night. Kai was lying in his bed while listening to his favourite song. He closed his eyes and everything that Shin Mi and he did every day since his first day in Seoul was still fresh in his mind. His eyes were still closed. Shin Mi’s images appeared every second. Was this feeling he felt for her true? Could it really be love?

 

Meanwhile, Shin Mi was in her study room. She was reading her old diary she kept when she was six. All of the memories she had with Kai was written in it. She smiled as she read through the book. If only she was asked who the guy that she liked was, she wouldn’t hesitate because the answers were all in the diary. She just wished she hadn’t accepted other guy because of her classmate, Tiffany, forcing her to date him for the sake of her own popularity. Although Kyung Soo seems so caring and loving towards me but I can’t lie about my own feelings. And I had to admit that he was the hottest and popular guy in our school since our first year... But my heart isn’t for him. And Tiffany... Sometimes friends are just taking advantages and took things for granted, aren’t they? She sighed.

While reading her journal, she paused, “Oppa’s been acting strange lately. He kept treating me like a princess. What is up with him?”

 

Feeling confused and jovial at the same time, she lied down on her bed and hugged the book.

 

***

It was the 19th of October and it was Shin Mi’s birthday. Kai had spent most of his time thinking about her, trying to plot a surprised for her.

 

This is it! The day has finally come, he whispered to himself as soon as he woke up and jumped out of his bed. He marched toward the bathroom and got himself freshened.

 

“I’m going to make this the best birthday ever!” he cheered.

 

In the meantime, at Park’s house, Shin Mi received a phone call from Kyung Soo.

 

“Good morning, Shin Mi! It’s me!” he said merrily.

 

“Oh. Good morning, Oppa,” she replied, “what makes you call me early in the morning?”

 

“Why? Can’t I call my girlfriend and say happy birthday to you?”

 

“W-well, of course you can...” Shin Mi stammered, “It’s just that I don’t take calls so early like this.”

 

“Well, you just did~ maybe because I’m your boyfriend so you picked up my call?” she heard him teasing her on the other line.

 

She couldn’t help but burst out laughing, “Whatever, so what is it?”

 

“Do you mind come at my uncle’s cafe this noon?” he asked, “I’ve prepared a special lunch for my birthday girl!”

 

She sighed. Actually, she was expecting Kai to invite her to a lunch, not Kyung Soo. But what could she do? She couldn’t just say no and disappoint him, could she? She has always hated to make people feel unappreciated. “No, sure. I’ve no plans in the afternoon after all... I’ll be out having dinner with my parents at 8.”

 

“Great! I’ll come by and pick you up at 10. We’ll be going somewhere first before heading to uncle’s cafe.” Kyung Soo said before hanging up.

 

***

“All set!” Kai finished placing everything on the table he booked in his part-time workplace, “Yoona-ssi, I’ll be back in 30 minutes. Can you please look after my table for a while?”

 

The waitress, and also his workmate, gave him a thumbs-up, “Okay!”

 

“Thanks.”

 

Kai rushed to Shin Mi’s place. It was 10.30 in the morning. He was pretty sure she was home and has nothing to do. He really wanted to make a surprise lunch for her. He pressed the door bell for a few times and was then answered by her mother.

 

“Oh? Kai? What brings you here? Please, come in,” Mrs. Park said, signalling him to come inside the house.

 

“Oh, it’s alright. Is Shin Mi home?” he questioned.

 

“No, she went out an hour ago but I didn’t ask with whom. I think she’s going to Red’s Cafe. Do you want me to call her?”

 

She went out an hour ago to Red’s Cafe? Did she already know that I was planning to bring her there? He wondered. He bid goodbye to Mrs. Park before heading back to the cafe.

 

***

“Isn’t this amazing?” Kyung Soo beamed, “Well, it’s not as amazing as having a candlelight dinner but it’s worth having a similar one here, right?”

 

Shin Mi only sent him a smile. Why isn’t Kai Oppa calling me today? Did he forget that today is my birthday?

 

When Kai had finally arrived, he got out of his car and froze when he saw Kyung Soo’s car parked in the parking lot. Could she be with him? He suddenly felt uneasy with the thought of Shin Mi celebrating her birthday with Kyung Soo.

 

He was still standing like a statue outside the cafe. Shin Mi who was sitting with Kyung Soo on a table beside a clear view window on the second floor saw the young man. Her eyebrows furrowed, what is Kai Oppa doing here? She stood and immediately ran off to get him.

 

“Shin Mi-ah!” Kyung Soo quickly grasped her arm, “Where are you going?”

 

“Mianhae, Oppa. I have to go somewhere,” she explained, letting go of Kyung Soo’s grip, “I-I’ll be back. I guess...”

 

“Oh, okay...” Kyung Soo loosened his grip on her arm and sat back on the chair, “I’ll be waiting.”

 

She forced a smile and rushed downstairs.

 

“Kim Jong In!” she shouted as she was outside the cafe.

 

She stopped her steps. There was no sign of him. Even his car too... Too late, she thought, he probably saw Kyung Soo Oppa’s car and left. Feeling disappointed, she turned backward to the cafe’s entrance and marched inside lifelessly. As she was about to climb up the stairs, she saw a beautifully decorated spot at the corner of the cafe but no one was there. She stepped back and made her way toward the table.

 

She wowed for a second. She examined the table. She felt as if she was in the heaven for a moment. Red sheeted table, soft pink plates, white spoon and fork and white rose placed in a red vase in the middle of the table. Everything was absolutely her style. For the first time in her lifetime, she had totally forgotten about her date with Kyung Soo.

 

“Excuse me, miss. Are you Park Shin Mi-ssi?” a waitress then brought her back to reality.

 

She nodded. How did she know my name?

 

“Ah, y-yes. Yes, I am.”

 

The waitress saw her puzzled face and spoke, “Did you come alone? Where’s your date? He had asked me to look after your table while he was gone a while ago.”

 

“Eh? My date?” Shin Mi’s eyes widened.

 

“Eh? But Jong In-ssi had told that he will be bringing a girl named Park Shin Mi. He came early in the morning to prepare a table for you. He even asked for a day off from our boss just to have lunch with you. He said it’s your birthday,” the waitress with the name tag Yoona explained.

 

Oppa?! Oh my... Shin Mi gasped. Quickly, she searched for her mobile phone in her bag and punched Kai’s number on the dial pad. Come on. Come on. Oppa, why aren’t you answering?

 

She finally gave up after calling him a dozen times. She sat on the table, feeling so sad that Kai had left yet feeling so happy that he had actually made this for her birthday. She stared at the simple yet beautifully decorated table again. She then noticed a card lying on one of the plates. She took it and read.

 

Park Shin Mi,

Happy Birthday!

Hoping that your day will be as special as you are...

 

I love you, Shin Mi, with all my heart.

 

Those last words made her smiled. Suddenly, she felt a hand held her shoulder. She turned around, hoping that it was Kai. Sadly, it was Kyung Soo. Her smile faded instantly.

 

“What’s wrong, Shin Mi? What are you doing here?” he questioned.

 

“Oh, nothing.”

 

“What’s that?” he took the card away from her hand. His brows wrinkled and then he let out a heavy sigh.

 

He took her hand in his and led her to the car park. He pushed her inside his car and drove away.

 

“Oppa, what are you doing?” she said, feeling anxious.

 

“I’m doing the right thing, Shin Mi.” He said softly.

 

A few minutes later, Kyung Soo parked his car in front of house that seemed familiar to her.

 

“Oppa?”

 

“Go,” Kyung Soo said with a smile.

 

“But-”

 

He placed his finger to her lips. Then he held her hand and kissed her cheek, “Just go. I understand what you’re feeling towards him. I know you don’t want to disappoint me either. You’re a really great girl, Shin Mi.”

 

She didn’t know what to say. A sad expression was hidden in his smiley handsome face. She had never thought Kyung Soo to be as kind as he was now. He never showed this side of him. She was touched.

 

A thank you came out from Shin Mi’s lips and a tear rolled down her cheek. She replied his smile, kissed his cheeks softly and went out of his car. She began walking toward the door and pressed the door bell.

 

Kai showed up to answer the door, “Shin Mi-ah...”

 

Shin Mi showed him the card he left, “Why didn’t you call me? I’ve been waiting all day for you to call. Why did you leave the cafe? Didn’t you know that I was chasing after you? How come you’re working part-time without letting me know? Why didn’t you tell me you were setting up a lunch for both of us? Now I ended up going out with Kyung Soo at the cafe instead of you!”

 

She found out, Kai told himself. He beamed while listening to her complaining about almost everything. This is so you, Shin Mi.  He leaned in to kiss her. Shin Mi’s rants stopped immediately. She tried to break free but she was too shocked to do so. Kai’s arms wrapped around her were too strong to be broken out of. This was the moment they both were waiting for. The kiss was long and passionate.

 

Kyung Soo was still in his car in front of Kai’s house. He felt pain in his chest. Then a tear rolled down his cheek, I wish you happiness, Shin Mi...

 

Kai spaced out his face from hers. A wide smile was painted on his beautiful face, “I love you, Park Shin Mi. I really do. I’ve always wanted to tell you this but I’m afraid you won’t feel the same way as I do.”

 

“Well, you know you’re wrong,” she chuckled, pinching his nose playfully.

 

“But what about Kyung Soo?”

 

She turned away from him to face Kyung Soo’s car, “Thanks to him.”

 

Kyung Soo waved at them before driving off to the main road.

 

“Wow! That easy?” Kai laughed, “I thought he’d never let you go.”

 

“Well that’s just another side of him,” she added before kissing him on the cheek, “I love you too, Oppa.”