Love Story

Love Story

 

I take my seat near the window. The train which I’m in won’t move in the next three minutes, it’s still waiting for the passengers. I stare outside the window, watching people doing their own things in the station. There’s a young boy sleeps on the bench. Judging from the way he dressed, I don’t think he even have a home to comeback. On the other side, a mother tries to calm her crying son. There’s many, too many people in the world. Now, at this time, every single them has a story on their own.

A couple walking hand-in-hand wearing couple tees get in the train. I watch them as they walk pass by me. Smile plastered on the boy’s face and a happy laughter come from the girl. This kind of story is a story that I’ve never understand. Love. Not that I’ve never fell in lover before, err...maybe not a deep one, or a real one. But the readers and publisher ask me to write one. I don’t even understand it, how can I write it?

Tsk, I shouldn’t think about job now. No, Cho Kyuhyun, you’re going for a vacation. You’re not going to looking for inspiration to write. I come for a vacation. I come for a vacation. I come―

A guy sits abruptly beside me. I glance at him, expecting an apology for sitting beside me harshly. But I don’t get one. Instead, I can see his red eyes from the side. Don’t tell me... That’s it, the first tear drops from his eyes when the train starts moving. He wipes it immediately. But soon, another tears come, almost nonstop.

He keeps staring at the front, wiping the tears like it never come out. What should I do at times like this? Handing him a handkerchief or tissue? But I don’t have one. Seems like he pretends not to cry, so I will just pretend like I never see him crying.

Minutes pass and I can still see him crying through the window’s reflection. I encourage myself to steal a glance at him. The red eyes and tears added with trembling lips now. When will he stop crying?!

“How could you do this to me?” a cute voice comes out from him soon as I look back at the window.

I turn my head, just to make sure if he really talks to me.

“How could you?” he repeats.

I don’t know what to say, really. What did I do? “I’m sorry, but I don’t―”

“Can you believe that?!” he turns to face me.

Small white face. Red plump lips that he bites because it trembles so much. Single eyelid yet quiet big eyes. This guy is cute, I think, even with tears rolling nonstop on his face.

“He did this to me, can you believe that?!” he asks again, panting of emotion.

“Wh-who?” What kind of question is this? I don’t even know him yet I ask who-did-what to him.

“My boyfriend,” he hitches, “No... He’s not my boyfriend anymore! He’s not...,” and with that he bursts into tears. Hiding his face in his hands, he cries even more.

Great. People who walk pass us now are automatically looking at him crying and the-man-looks-like-in-guilt-for-making-a-cute-guy-crying me. I knock my head to the window, thingking about what the article might come out tomorrow. ‘Cho Kyuhyun, a famous writer, making a cute guy crying on the train. ual harrasment?’ Oh no.

“I- I’m sorry,” that cute voice comes out again.

I turn. He already stop sobbing and now looking at me with an apologetic face. “Wh- What for?”

“I’m bothering you,” he blushes, and I don’t know why. Maybe because he finds me too handsome? “A stranger come and cry beside you, it’s bothering you right? I’m sorry,” he bows slightly.

“Uh...no. Uh...it’s not a big problem, actually, uh...” Am I blushing too just now?

“It’s...,” he sighs, “But If you were me, you would feel like I do!”

I blink. What? I don’t even know in what state he is now. He’s not crazy...is he?

He sighs, again. “Have you ever feel being cheated?”

I shake my head.

“Ah, you’re so lucky,” he looks at me, “Maybe it’s because you’re so handsome...,” he whispers, wiping his almost dry tears. Am I blushing again?

He then starts to talk about his boyfriend, or it’s his ex-boyfriend now. He tells me how their first meet was, which was very novel-like. With the world-stops effect that happened at the very first time they looked at each other’s eyes. The boyfriend happened to be a transfered student from Seoul. They fell in love at first sight and became a couple just few weeks after they were being classmates.

They spent the college period together. With lovey-dovey aura. Fortunately, they have the same interest in art and took music major in university. After graduated, the boyfriend had to move to his former city with his family while he got a job in other province so he couldn’t leave. They kept the long distance relationship for almost two years. He decided to visit his boyfriend because it was their anniversary. But then he found his boyfriend sleeping with a girl in his apartment.

I keep looking at him when he tells me the story. He sometimes look to the front, at the floor, at the window, anywhere but me. 

He just tells me a story, his first love story. But he shows me many emotions from it. His face is all blush when he tells me about all their ‘first’; first meet, first date, first christmas, first hug, first kiss, and so on. His face is full of worry when he tells me how scared was he at the time his boyfriend’s father die and he found his boyfriend at lost for some weeks. His face shows a deep sorrow when he tells me about their separation because his boyfriend had to go back to Seoul. He is in a daydream state when he tells about their long distance relationship. And his face gets red from anger when he tells about how he found his boyfriend cheated on him. 

All of those expression are cute, I admit that. Or maybe it’s just he is cute himself?

I only know that love can give you many emotions. Well I already knew it actually, but seeing all those expressions in front of me makes me sure that love is a strong feeling that can lead to many emotions.

He sighs, “It’s a pity. Everything was perfect before,” now I see a regret in his tone and face.

I hum and leave my gaze from him.

“Oh! I’m Lee Hyukjae,” he says, looking at me.

I get my gaze back on him and he blushes. Or is it me? No, I’m not blushing. Blushing is not my thing.

“I didn’t know you yet I told all the story to you. I’m sorry,” that’s when I see his extended hand waiting for me, so I shake his hand.

“You don’t know me?” instead of saying my name, I ask that arrogant question.

He  his head to the side, “How would I know?” and slips his hand out from my hand.

“I’m a famous fiction writer.”

He smiles apologetically, “I’m sorry, I’m not found of novels, so...,” he shrugs.

“Cho Kyuhyun,” I say, looking at the window out of my embarrassment.

“Ah, Cho Kyuhyun. I’ll remember that.” 

We’re busy with our own thoughts until we reach our destination. We get off the train with no words. But soon as we already got off the train, he comes to me.

“Thank you so much for listening to my story. You might not understand this feeling, but I feel really relieved after I tell it,” he bows. “Umm...well, see you again, Cho Kyuhyun!” he waves and leaves.

I watch as his back foing further. I can write his love story. Oh not again, Cho Kyuhyun, not the ‘work’ again. He told me enough. I know how he exactly feels from his expression when he told me. I can write this. Vacation can wait. I head to the locket to get a ticket back to Seoul, the earliest train one.

---

Less than a year since I met him, my first ever love story novel release. It gets explosive responses from readers. They love it. Well, I’m great afterall. I can see it from the endless line of people who want me to sign on my novel they bought.

“Don’t you think you need a permission before you write someone else’s story into a novel?” the person who just give me a novel to sign ask. I don’t face him. It’s a long line for God’s sake, and I’m tired.

I smile. I already wrote ‘To: Lee Hyukjae’ on the dedication page because I’ve never meet him again. “What’s your name?” I ask, ignoring that question and ready to write his name along with my sign.

“You already wrote it on the dedication page.”

That’s when I realise that it’s his voice, his cute voice. I look up. Yes, it’s him. It’s Lee Hyukjae.

He smiles, “You should pay the royalty to the owner of the story, don’t you think so?”

I look down to the novel and sign. I add some words above my sign. ‘Should we make a new novel, then?’ I hand it to him.

He reads and then looks at me questioningly,  his head to the side.

Cute, I thought. “A love story, if you want to,” I look at his eyes reassuringly.

There is it! Pink blush on his cheeks! “Well...I’ll wait for my first page in the cafe across this bookstore then,” he looks away, hiding his blushing face.

“I’ll come, to write a new love story,” I say.

He smiles, sweetly, and leaves. I can’t look at his back until he dissapears because the line is waiting. When will this line ends?!?!?!

 

-end-