1

I Choose to Love You

 


 

“WOOHOO! GO SUNGGYU!”  both my parents screeched as my brother, the “legendary” Kim Sunggyu, finished his 400m race with 2nd place. My mom hopped off her seat the second he crossed that finish line and frantically swung her hands all over the place, my dad following, waving the video camera (which evidently still had the lens cap on) every which way. I buried my face in my hands, scooting as far as I could away from them; since I’m pretty sure the entire track meet was giving them the what-the-hell look which still didn’t keep them from making complete fools of themselves. This would be the last time I’ll ever sit anywhere near them in any sort of public event.

My parents always showed a little too much favoritism towards Sunggyu since he’s the “heir to our family’s future”, meaning, he’d follow my father’s footsteps into become a lawyer. I, however, find the subject of law and politics boring and dreary. The minute I spoke my mind to them about my views on becoming a lawyer, both my parents have turned their cheek on me and moved on over to Sunggyu, who I’m pretty sure detests my parent’s hopes for us much as I do. Although, Sunggyu couldn’t turn them down, he was born a pushover and forever he will be.

I never let my parent’s biased-selves get to me, though. After about 5 years of them caring less and less about me and more focused on Sunggyu, I’ve gotten use to it. Actually, I’d say I do not mind at all (at least I don’t have them on my trail like Sunggyu does). I feel bad for him, so I don’t (regularly) like normal sisters would, in return, he’d always lend me his credit card when I “needed” it.

After a supervisor told my parents to calm themselves, my face lifted from my hands and streaming daylight finally hit me. I tapped my feet on the metal flooring of the bleachers as Sunggyu jogged on over to my parents.

“There’s our little champion!” my mother immediately embraced him in what looked like a bone-crushing hug whereas my father was complaining on how “cheap” his camera was since the footage was “ out” (he’ll be earning a long lecture from mom later tonight). I heard a snort come from behind us as my mom scolded him on being irresponsible for not reading the instructions.

My boyfriend Howon and his friends were cracking up at my parents when I turned around. I gave him a desperate help-me-I’m-gonna-die look and he nodded understandingly gesturing for us to get out of here before getting up to leave. Quickly, I made up an excuse to get away from my family and hurried to leave them.

I sprinted all the way to the baseball field nearby to meet Howon since it’s our “special spot” (in school premises). I slowly approached the empty field and shrieked when Howon popped out from behind the bleachers, wrapping his arms around my waist, and spun me around.

“Howon-ah!” I bellowed in a fit of laughter. He set me down, giving my cheek a soft peck before moving to my lips.

“I missed you so much, it’s been 2 whole days,” Howon whispered against my lips. My hands cupped his face, pulling him into another fiery kiss.

Okay, so even though the adorable, flawless, beautiful Lee Howon is my boyfriend, only certain people knew about it, and by certain, I mean those selected few who I’d strangle if they ever said a word about us in public. We’ve been in this “secret relationship”, sneaking around for about 5 months now being that our parents loathe eachother (another little problem along with having parents like mine) ever since our dads have been rivals in their high school debate team. Well that silly rival has stayed with them throughout adulthood since they are currently working in the same law firm. And while my dad didn’t get that promotion he wanted and Howon’s dad did- well, you get the picture.

“When is it your turn to run?” Howon suddenly asked, pulling away, his forehead touching mine. “In a half hour,” I answered, my fingers playing with his hair.

“Can’t wait and I love the new uniforms this year,” Hoya admired, marveling at my bare stomach since the uniform shirts were cut off short. I scoffed, lifting his chin up so I could meet his eyes, “Hey, hey, eyes up here!”

Howon let out a playful grin, “What? Your stomach is so nicely toned and-“

“Yeah, yeah whatever,” I cut him off, rolling my eyes.

“You know you love me,” Howon confirmed, his lips again meeting mine.


My eyes were tight shut as I blocked out screams and cheers from the audience, not even bothering to look towards my coach for some last minute advice. My hands were trembling as I got into position, my eyes never leaving the finish line lying a hundred meters ahead. I imagined myself being securely wrapped up in Howon’s arms, giving me some peace and sanity despite my nervous, shaky state.

The sound of the gunfire set me off. I dashed off the starting line, my legs moving hastily with Howon never slipping from my thoughts.