One-shot

The Boy Who Lived On The Cliff

 

The Boy Who lived On The Cliff.

 

 

It was autumn when Son Dongwoon was asked by the villagers to visit the blind boy on the cliff. He had a lot of stuff to run in school and he wanted to reject but since the villagers were pleading him to go, he had no choice but to go. He gave them a small nod while picking a time to go visit him. He pulled out his little notebook from his pocket and jotted down something.

 

Lee Kikwang= the blind boy who lived on the cliff


The next day, he walked up the windy path up to the little house up the cliff. The path was covered with a few bushes of wild grass indicating that people rarely go up there. He gave a slight knock on the slightly rotten wooden door as he reached before waiting for an answer. The wind was blowing real strong that day and he guessed that it must have been cold inside. But when the boy opened the door, warmth gushed out pushing the cold away. Dongwoon looked down and saw the shorter boy staring into mid space.

 

“Hello, I’m Son Dongwoon.”

 

“And what brings you here?” The boy answered while lifting his head to where he heard the voice was.

 

“The villagers asked me to check on you. Are you okay?”

 

“I am perfectly fine.”

 

“No injuries?”

 

“You wished I had some?”

 

“Well then I will be on my way back then.”

 

“But the weather is getting worse. Are you sure?”

 

“I will be fine. Thank you for worrying.”

 

Dongwoon then turned his back before slowly walking back home. Why was it him that answered the door? Is there no one else to answer to door for him? Is that the reason why did the villagers ask him to check on the boy? He was curious with his living lifestyle. So he took out his little notebook again and jotted something again before deciding to visit him againtomorrow.

 

Lee Kikwang= the caring blind boy who lived on the cliff


 

Dongwoon gave a slight knock the door again. The wind was stronger than yesterday but the warmness in the house didn’t change. This time, Dongwoon was invited into the house. It was tidy and classy on the inside. There were two antique armchairs and a coffee table in front of the fireplace. An old yet clean tiny stove and sink stood in a corner of the house. Everything was in aged rosewood brown. Dongwoon was amazed at how simple yet elegant the interior was before the boy asked him to sit on the chair beside his. The boy added some more wood into the fireplace with perfect memory over what is where without even hesitating. He then sat back on his seat while snuggling into his tattered cotton blanket.

 

“What’s your name?”

 

“From my memory, I could only remember my guardian calling me Lee Kikwang”

 

“So where is your guardian?”

 

“He passed away already. My guardian committed suicide a few years ago by jumping off the cliff when I was sleeping. But the kind villagers always send me a weeks’ food up here just in case I starve. I am very grateful of them.” He revealed with a sigh while looking blankly at Dongwoon. Kikwang could only guess where was Dongwoon but he ended up looking at the wall beside Dongwoon. Dongwoon didn’t mind anyway.

 

“ Have you gone to school?”

 

“Tried to. But no teacher would accept me. They couldn’t accept teaching a student that couldn’t even read what is on the book.” Kikwang said sadly. He pulled his blankets closer to him as though as it was able to shield away the grief. Dongwoon just gave his a sad glance thinking how sad it must be not being able to study. Dongwoon had devoted his whole 15 years of life on studying so he couldn’t imagine how it was like not being able to study. But somehow, Kikwang still flashed a smile at Dongwoon as though as he knew what was Dongwoon thinking.

 

“I’m fine. There is no use of me studying anyway. Knowledge can’t be used here in this little house. It’s just a waste of time for me to try studying.” Dongwoon was stumped as Kikwang perfectly read his mind. Kikwang knew what he was thinking even though he couldn’t see his facial expression because everyone always pitied him when talks about it. And that’s why he doesn’t go to the village anymore. He’s tired of all the pities.

 

“I shall come tomorrow then Kikwang.”

 

“Are you sure? Aren’t you busy?” Kikwang uttered in shock.

 

“Just remember to keep the house warm.” Dongwoon answered before leaving. He took out his little notebook again as he jotted down his thoughts.

 

Lee Kikwang= the sad yet caring blind boy who lived on the cliff


 

Kikwang heard the familiar knock again. He quickly threw in more firewood into the fireplace before naturally walking to the door. Dongwoon gave his usual greet of a “hello” before walking to the armchair. He dropped his school bag and papers all on the table while Kikwang sat on the armchair beside him. Kikwang might have not heard any new sound for the pass few years but he could guess by the sounds of a few sandy items attrition.

 

“Is that paper I hear?”

 

“Why yes it is. Have you ever felt paper before?”

 

“No. I only heard paper when my guardian was doing some paperwork about my health.”

 

And without another single word, Dongwoon took Kikwang’s right hand and pushed his homework into it. Kikwang never even took time to think about how paper felt like but now he knows how magical it is. The paper felt thin and long but smooth with a sandy feel.

 

“So this is paper.”

 

“And I have tons more of them here.” Dongwoon sighed. He had at least twenty assignments he needs to finish and a bunch of school documents he had to take care of. How he wished he could just throw everything off the cliff. Kikwang tried to look at Dongwoon’s direction before giving him back his paper.

 

“Take your time. I have nothing important to do. I can accompany you here. Do you want anything to drink?”

 

“Hot Cocoa would be nice.”

 

“Coming right up.” Kikwang answered with a barista-like-voice. He went to the tiny stove and boiled an estimated amount of water while adding some cocoa powder into two ceramic cups. He then added some sugar before adding the boiled water. Soon the whole house was filled with the aromatic smell of cocoa and the grumbling of Dongwoon’s stomach.

 

“Okay I’m coming, calm your stomach.”

 

“Sorry” Dongwoon looked down with embarrassment while drinking the hot cocoa. He was amazed at how nice it was since he never had Hot Cocoa for a whole year already. He never had time to do Hot Cocoa anymore as he was elected as Head Student. He slowly sipped through his drink while he did his work. He didn’t want to finish it too fast since he might not get another one. But just after a few sips, he finished it already.

 

“Err…Kikwang?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Can I have another cup?”

 

“Wow you drink fast. I’m not even done with mine. Alright, just wait for a moment okay?” As Kikwang walked back to prepare another cup, Dongwoon slowly crept around observing the house. The house looked old like it was full of history but there was nothing to see. No pictures, no newspaper, no letters. Nothing. Maybe the guardian never planned to leave anything in the first place knowing that Kikwang is blind. But as he continued looking around, he suddenly heard a cup breaking. He turned around and just saw Kikwang’s hands outstretch and the cup under his feet.

 

“Are you okay? Anywhere hurt?”

 

“I thought you left. I thought you ditched me behind like the guardian. I thought you were gone.” Kikwang whispered before falling into Dongwoon’s arms. Dongwoon didn’t know what to do but to slowly carry him to his armchair and positioned Kikwang on his lap. Kikwang was still trembling but he soon calmed down by crying out loud. Dongwoon kept patting his back telling him that it’s okay and he’s not leaving but Kikwang’s tears didn’t stop. After an hour or two, Kikwang fell asleep in Dongwoon’s embrace. Dongwoon carefully covered Kikwang with his blanket and left him on his armchair before packing his stuff up. He also cleaned up the mess on the floor before leaving. He promised that he would be back tomorrow with a new cup. He took out his little notebook again.

 

Lee Kikwang= the lonely yet caring blind boy who lived on the cliff


 

The familiar knock was ringing through house again. Kikwang as usual threw more firewood in before he opened the door. The wind has turned really strong but it would never beat the warmth in the house. Dongwoon walked in and threw all his homework again on the table. He practically flopped on the armchair before saying his greetings. Kikwang gave him a smile before he brought him Hot Cocoa. Dongwoon automatically started to calm down as he smelt the relaxing scent. He stood up and reached for the cup first just in case the tragedy repeats before helping Kikwang to sit down. Kikwang left his drink on the coffee table as he hid in his blanket with the armchair.

 

“So how was school?”

 

“Pressuring as usual. Perfect attitude. Perfect grades. Perfect this and perfect that. I’m getting so tired of it all.”

 

“Why don’t you just give up on the perfect thingy, you know? Why not just get grades that you think that are satisfying? Pressure’s not good for your health.”

 

“I wish Kikwang, I really do. But I am the model student. I can’t do stuff like that. The teachers might hate me.”

 

“Then let them hate you then. Freedom is more important. And so is acting to your age. You are only seventeen, Dongwoon. There is no need of perfect this perfect that when you can just have fun at your age. I don’t want you to miss off something that you can never get back, you will regret it.” Kikwang said with worry in his tone.

 

Dongwoon’s mind literally stopped for a few seconds. Kikwang’s right. He’s only seventeen. Why is he doing all these? Why waste time saving a future he might not even guess and use it on something that can keep him happy instead?  Dongwoon stared at Kikwang for a few moments before hugging him. Kikwang didn’t know why but he hugged back anyway cause maybe that was the only way Kikwang can show that he understood. Kikwang might have never known how pressurizing it was to be perfect, but he knows how tormenting it was to work over something that he couldn’t help with. Kikwang didn’t want Dongwoon to be like him when he was still a kid a few years ago. He wanted him to be free. So Dongwoon and Kikwang chatted while drinking their Hot Cocoa for a few hours before it was time for Dongwoon to go back. He gave Kikwang another friendly hug before leaving. He packed up and took out his tiny notebook again.

 

Lee Kikwang=the lonely yet caring blind boy who taught me how to live life


 

As days gone by, it had already turned into a habit to meet Kikwang at his house after Dongwoon’s school ends. He also jotted down his impression of Kikwang on his notebook every time after he left. Dongwoon also slowly stopped bringing homework there and instead he brought new things to let Kikwang feel. He brought him a papaya at first, and then a pencil, then a camera. Kikwang was fascinated by everything Dongwoon brought. He gets to feel so many different things everyday and he was very thankful. Dongwoon even taught Kikwang how to write with a pencil. But Kikwang’s only wish was to see how did everything look like. And Kikwang wished he could see how does Dongwoon look like. How tall was he. How handsome was he. How striking his looks were. But all he could see was pitch black, just like how it had been all along.

 

“Dongwoon?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“I just wanted to say I love you”

 

“And I love you too” Dongwoon answered without any embarrassment. He wasn’t ashamed that Kikwang loved him. He wasn’t ashamed that he fell in love with a male. He felt happy instead.  Happy that he was able to find someone he loved. And he couldn’t care less about what others might think. He loved him and that is all that matters.

 

Dongwoon then slowly got up from his armchair and kissed Kikwang right on the lips. Kikwang was in shock at first but then he returned the kiss without any hesitation. Kikwang then slowly broke off before using his hands to trace Dongwoon’s jawline. He wanted to at least be able to imagine how does his lover look like if he leaves the world. Dongwoon squatted right in front of Kikwang and allowed him to examine his whole face without any refrain. Kikwang’s soft long fingers explored from Dongwoon’s wide forehead to his slim nose bridge and lastly on his thin warm lips. Kikwang couldn’t help but to smile before giving Dongwoon another kiss. Dongwoon kissed back before siting back on his armchair.

 

“You’re having your exams soon right?”

 

“Yeah a few days from today.”

 

“Then you should stop coming for a few days and study at home”

 

“I don’t need to study. I couldn’t care about grades anymore.”

 

“Dongwoon, I know you tasted freedom already. But that doesn’t mean you can go all loose okay? For my sake, stay at home for a few days to study. I don’t want a useless man to take care of me for the rest of my life.” Kikwang replied with a chuckle before standing up.

 

Dongwoon gave a small whimper while looking at Kikwang but in the end, he still promised him that he would do it. He gave Kikwang a small hug and a peck as he walked out. The wind outside has gotten to a serious level causing Dongwoon to run back to his house. Dongwoon wrote down his impression today on his book before walking into his house. Kikwang quickly closed the door as he heard Dongwoon’s footstep fading before crying. He then searched around for the pencil Dongwoon gave him that day as he started to scribble on the floorboard.

 

Lee Kikwang=the lonely yet caring blind boy who lived on the cliff that is my lover


 

Dongwoon never went to Kikwang’s house for two weeks straight. The way to his school was the opposite of Kikwang’s house so he never even had a glimpse of his house for as long he had his exams. He focused and worked hard just like Kikwang asked him to and he achieved excellent grades. His teacher’s were already expecting for that results but strangely Dongwoon asked them to give him his results so that he can bring home. They really think that there was no reason to oppose him from taking it so right after school, Dongwoon dashed all the way to Kikwang’s house. He wanted to show him that he achieved fantastic results and he is able to take care of him. But once he reached the middle of the windy path, he was intotal bewilderment.

 

The house was gone.

 

Dongwoon dashed further up and just saw the plain blue sky that was always blocked by the house. Where did it go? It was here just two weeks ago? And where is Kikwang? He slowly walked into the area where the house used to be but there was nothing else except for the floor and some broken wood at the side of the house. As he looked down in baffle, he saw some ugly scribbles on the floorboard.

 

Dongwoon ah, when you see this, you are probably thinking where did the house go right? I know that I never told you about it but a few years ago my guardian warned me about the upcoming wind now and how strong it is. I knew the house might not be able to withstand it… but I can’t bear leaving this place so I decided to live here even if I end up leaving with it. Son Dongwoon, you showed me a new world that was so different from this little world I have been enclosing myself and you showed me so much new stuff. I really wished I could accompany you a little longer but I couldn’t bear myself taking such a young soul away from this world. You have been a nice companion and I will never forget you even when I’m gone. I don’t want to be selfish but please forget about me go find yourself another companion… I have been a mere passerby in your life. But I just hoped that you know that I loved you dearly.

-Lee Kikwang

 

Tears trickled on the floorboard as Dongwoon kneeled down. He ran his fingers through the hard floorboard feeling the writings that Kikwang left. How could he have done it? Why didn’t he tell him? If he told him earlier, he might have been able to fix the house, and then it wouldn’t have been destroyed by the wind. If he told him earlier, he might be able to save him, and they could have live happily ever after. But why didn’t he? Dongwoon sat on the floor crying for a few straight hours before he got up and left the place. His tears streaked face received countless condolence from the villagers as he went back. No one noticed that little notebook Dongwoon was holding tightly on his right hand.

 

Lee Kikwang= the lonely yet caring blind boy who used to live on the cliff that has now taken a part of me away


A/N : hi there! I'm sorry if it badly because I want to write this quickly before the exams ;A; cooments are always loved and please anticipate for my future fics ._.

word count: 3016 i think