a spoonful of kisses

a spoonful of kisses

I was getting ready to get home from work when my phone beeps --- a text message from my boyfriend’s mom. She said that Changjo, my boyfriend, is sick and told me to get him some medicine and food since she’s not around. She was out of town on a business meeting and will return after two days. I texted her “OK” and immediately gathered my things and left the office.

I went to the drug store first and bought some medicine. Omma (I started to feel giddy whenever I call Changjo’s mom, omma, kekeke!) told me that he has flu. After the drug store, I went to buy some porridge. Then I went straight to Changjo’s apartment.

I pressed the bell and Changjo opened it. He looked terrible and messed up. His bangs plastered on his sweaty forehead. Dark circles all over his eyes, chapped lips and pale complexion.

“Hey...what’s up?” he said, his voice hoarse.

I looked at him and put my hand on his forehead. It feels hot so I motioned him to enter as I closed the door behind me.

I asked him to go to his room while I arrange the medicine and food that I brought. Wearily, he walked inside his room and dropped himself into his bed. His feet hanging on the side of the bed with his two arms open, face down. I laughed a little when I saw him because he looks like Goliath defeated by David. I started fixing his food and medicine and went to his room. I put down the food and medicine on the bedside table and lifted his hanging feet on the bed.

“Changjo-ya, wake up. I brought food. Eat first,” I whispered to his ear. He looked at me and smiled then rolled over so he is facing me now.

“Jagi, komawo,” he said wearily and touched my cheek. I smiled at him and took the bowl of porridge and started feeding him but he doesn’t want to eat.

 “Say ahhh...c’mon eat this then drink your medicine. Ahhh....” I said and put a spoonful into his mouth.

He shook his head and pleaded, “Jagi, I can’t eat that. I feel like vomiting.”

“Please, just one spoonful, please. You have to eat this before you take your medicine or your stomach will hurt.”

“I really can’t, please don’t do this, jagi...”

I placed the spoon back to the bowl and stared at him. “Here’s the deal. For every spoonful, you’ll get a kiss from me. Deal?”

Changjo’s face lit up and a wide smile formed on his lips. “Chincha? You’re not joking, right?”

“Ani, why would I do that? I want you to get better and since you’re not eating, I thought you might like this idea. So...are you in or out?”

“I’m super in. Ahhhh, jagiya pali!”  and he immediately sat up and opened his mouth.

“Hahaha! You’re so simple minded. Here, open wide...” as I put a spoonful inside his mouth. After swallowing the porridge and when I was about to feed him more, he stopped my hand and pulled me closer.

“Jagi, I ate a spoonful already. Where’s my kiss?” he said and pouted his lips.

I placed my pointer finger on his lips and said “After you finish this first. Don’t worry, I’m counting the spoonfuls so you will still get your kisses later. Okay?”   

He frowned and slid down to his bed and turn to the other side, his back facing me.

“What?! Hey, you’re not done yet. Here...” I said, worried.

“I don’t want to. You said a spoonful equals to a kiss. So where’s my kiss?” he said, still not facing me.

I sighed and brushed his hair with my hand. “You just want one kiss? You don’t want me to kiss you all night long?”

He turned to me and holds my hand. “Jagi, if we kiss all night, then you might get sick, too. I don’t want that... so one kiss is just enough.”

“Ehhh....but I want to kiss you more than once,” and I gave him a peck on his nose. Changjo was startled and wasn’t able to move first but then he sat up and grabbed the bowl from me and started eating quickly.

“Hey, slow down. You might choke,” giving him a glass of water.

He quickly finished it and showed me an empty bowl. “Done! Now, let’s start kissing,” he said and pulled me closer to him.

“Not yet,” I protested and went to get the medicine. “Drink this first...” and he took the medicine and drink it quickly.

As I place down the glass on the table, I felt his arms around my waist then pulled me back to his bed. I was facing him on the side and I can feel his hot breath brushing my face. He’s still hot but I don’t know if it’s because of the flu or something else. He pulled me even closer and caressed my face with his fingers.

“Jagi, you might get the flu if I kiss you all night. Would you be okay with that?” his voice y.

“A deal is a deal and I’ve already counted the spoonfuls. You’re entitled to eight kisses.”

“Where will I kiss you?” he said as he looked at my lips.

“Wherever you want to. It’s your call,” I said, my heart beating faster.

“I’m not being greedy or what but I think you’ve counted wrong, jagi,” his nose brushing mine.

“Chincha? So, how m-many d-did y-you t-think,” I began stuttering.

He kissed my hair. “I think it’s twenty.”

“Mwo? That much? I think you’re being greedy.”

“No, I’m being y,” he laughed.

I hit his chest jokingly. “Pfftt! Kissing monster.”

He started kissing my forehead then down to my eyes. Then to my cheeks and a quick peck on my nose. He stopped kissing and looked me in the eyes. I smiled but he just keeps on staring at me. I get a little irritated and I made the move. I kissed him on his lips, still not responding. I kissed his nose then his cheeks and the side of his mouth. Still not moving. One last kiss and if he’s not kissing back, I’ll leave, I said to myself. I started kissing him, and again, he did not respond. I got irritated and pushed him but he didn’t let go. I was about to yell at him when hugged me tightly.

“Jagi, you know what? I mustered all my courage and control to myself not to kiss you back. I want to share my sweet kisses to you but not my flu. We can kiss all night long or even all day long when I’m better, huh? So, please don’t get mad. I don’t want you to get sick because of me.”

I finally understood what a caring boyfriend he is. He really loves me.  I hugged him back and said “Araso. You owe me twenty kisses, okay?”

“Yeah, if you want I’ll pay you with double interest, hahaha!“

“I like that. You owe me forty, then” and kissed him on his lips once more then hugged him really tight never letting him go.