Everything changed

Everything changed

 

Taeyeon moved her walking stick hastily, from left to right. She tried to get to her room quickly. She counted to herself, “7...6...5... steps to go.” When she finally reached her bedroom door, she turned to doorknob hard, and the door swung open. She took a few more steps before finally entering her room, slamming the door shut behind her.
 
                “Bang!” A walking stick landed on the floor along with Taeyeon. She was reduced to a heap. Tears trickled down her face. Her heart ached, knowing what had happened. She felt guilty. After all the incidents, she had realised although she was alone in her world of darkness.
 
                About two months ago, on that fateful day, things started as usual. Taeyeon was dismissed from school. She walked towards the gate slowly, moving her walking stick from left to right. She counted the number of steps she was taking and sat down on the bench by the guard post. She was waiting for Leeteuk. Taeyeon waited there silently for that familiar voice. She heard chatters, she heard footsteps but not what she was waiting for.
 
“May I know the time?” Taeyeon asked, hoping for a reply.
 
“Its 2.24pm” replied the security guard.
 
                “it has been twenty minutes. Why isn’t he here?” Taeyeon thought. “Maybe I should head home. I can let Mum and Dad know that I can be independent.” She stood and swung her walking stick again. “About ninety-eight steps straight, seventy-five steps right then walk straight for another fifty-nine steps and I will be home,” Taeyeon said to herself, confidently. She started walking while counting. For the first time, she was alone on that path.
 
                In the meantime, Leeteuk reached Taeyeon’s school. He scanned the area anxiously while panting but she was not there. Leeteuk looked at his watch. It was already 2.30pm.
 
                “Excuse me. Are you looking for Taeyeon?” a voice said. Leeteuk spun around. It was the security guard. “She had left,” He continued. Leeteuk’s eyes widened with fear. He thanked him and sped off. Every step he took his heart beat faster. Fatigue did not stop him from going faster.
 
“Ah!” a familiar voice shrieked. Leeteuk ran with all his might. He saw a man dragging Taeyeon up a van. Leeteuk ran and pounced onto him. A fight started. However, two men came down from the van, surrounding him. They knocked him unconscious. “Bang!”  Leeteuk dropped to the ground. Taeyeon tried to locate him. Then, they were both carried up the van.
 
                They were brought to a deserted warehouse. One of the kidnappers went out. He called. He asked for a ransom from her parents.
 
                He went back in. The trio gathered. Taeyeon tried to wake her unconscious brother but failed. Then, she heard the kidnappers saying, “Kill the guy.” He saw them and had to be killed. Taeyeon started pushing Leeteuk harder. The kidnappers saw it. They dragged Leeteuk away from her reach. Kicks and punches thrown and leeteuk finally woke up, bruised everywhere, blood trickling from his mouth.
 
                Then Taeyeon heard the sound of a revolver. She begged. The kidnapper got annoyed, the gun pointed at her. Leeteuk saw it. He ran towards her. The bullet landed on his right arm.
 
                The sirens sounded. Police arrived. Kidnappers ran. Leeteuk was sent to the nearest hospital. He underwent a surgery to remove the bullet. His family was told that his right hand was crippled. However, she was not told.
 
                Suddenly, someone knocked on the door, it was Leeteuk. Taeyeon quickly wiped off her tears and opened the door.
 
“You knew about it already. Am I right?”