1;; Final

The Bucket List

 

A/N: It's pretty long by the way...
 
**
 
"So, tell me that story again, KyungSoo,” Kai says, so tired that his words end up mumbling together. “The story that you always tell me.”
 
Music is playing in the background.
 
KyungSoo smiled, his eyes half-heavy. Gently gliding his hand across Kai’s soft, fluffy hair.
 
“Well,” he begins, “It all started seven months ago.”
 
**
“Kai!” KyungSoo shouts across the room. “Kai!!”
 
The tall teenage boy jerks his head around and smiles. “Yah, KyungSoo! C’mere!” He gestures his hands towards himself. “C’mere!”
 
KyungSoo laughs a little before he takes off running to the beautiful, dark-skinned boy in black.
 
“Are you doing anything later?” KyungSoo asks.
 
Kai twists his mouth around. “Uhh, no. I don’t think so. Why?”
 
“Wanna go get coffee?”
 
Kai smiles. He loves coffee.
 
KyungSoo smiles too. And at the same time they say, “Caramel Macchiato with extra whipped cream.”
 
**
The coffee shop is quiet, the lights dim. All you can hear are soft whispers and the sound of glasses and plates clinking against each other behind the counter. It smells like a mixture of cinnamon and chocolate. Maybe even a hint of burnt pastries.
 
KyungSoo and Kai sit at a table by the clear, glass window. The streets of Korea’s High End Fashion Shops shining through and onto the reflection of their shiny, glossed table.
 
“Great view here, huh?” KyungSoo let out a soft chuckle, gazing out the window.
 
“Amazing view here.” KyungSoo blushes, realizing Kai meant him.
 
**
The man behind the counter was very tall and had smooth, slick dirty blonde hair.
 
“Hello. How are you today? What would you like?”
 
Kai and KyungSoo both say, “A Caramel Macchiato with extra whipped cream.” They both blush madly and YiFan, which is his name according to his nametag, chuckles heartily.
 
“Alright, haha. Is that all for you?”
 
“Yes,” Kai quickly says, linking his left arm with KyungSoo’s right. “That’s all.”
 
**
Kai sips his coffee slowly, retracting his lips and tongue when it burned him.
 
“Haha,” KyungSoo laughs, “I told you it was hot.”
 
“Haha yourself,” Kai retorts. “You have a whipped cream mustache.”
 
KyungSoo wipes it away, looking around in case anyone saw. “Oh, my God. That’s so embarassing.”
 
The younger lays his hand on KyungSoo’s. “It’s alright. You’re fine, baby.”
 
**
The car ride home had been quiet considering KyungSoo fell asleep.
 
Whenever they were at a stoplight, Kai would peer over to his right and touch KyungSoo’s milky skin. Smiling when he took in his beauty.
 
“You’re so beautiful, KyungSoo.”
 
**
Kai carries KyungSoo into the apartment, slowly tucking him in and gently kissing him on the lips.
 
“Good night. Sweet dreams, my Angel.”
 
Kai walks into the bathroom to take a shower, parting from his sleeping beauty.
 
**
KyungSoo shuffles in his sleep, giggling at his dream. “Oh, JongIn. Knock it off. That tickles~”
 
Kai walks out of the bathroom, nothing but his boxers on and a toothbrush in his mouth. His hair was damp and dark and water droplets rolled down his chest.
 
Kai was ‘bored’. So, with his toothbrush still in his mouth, he walks around the apartment, looking at things and observing things he had never noticed before.
 
“Wow, never knew there was a chip in the wall.” or “In this photo, there’s a hair in my mouth…”
 
And then he finds a small book. The material is leathery with an elastic band on the side to close it. On the front, it says, “Do KyungSoo”.
 
Kai gently takes off the elastic band and flips through the pages. Empty.
 
Except for one page.
 
It’s titled, “Bucket List”.
 
And you know what the first, last, and only thing on the Bucket List is?
 
“Create a Bucket List.”
 
Kai laughs, almost choking on the toothpaste in his mouth. “Typical KyungSoo,” Kai thought.
 
**
That night, Kai lays in bed beside the sleeping KyungSoo. Kai rubs KyungSoo’s hair softly and whispers to himself.
 
“Oh, KyungSoo… You’re so perfect. I don’t know where I’d be without you… So, don’t leave. We get each other… y’know? Like, no one else. We’re… It’s like we’re connected. When you hurt, I hurt... When you cry, I cry... When you’re happy, I’m happy… You’re my other half.”
 
**
The next morning, KyungSoo wakes up with a pair of strong, toned arms wrapped around his waist. Kai.
 
KyungSoo smiles and breaks away, stretching his arms out. He stares at his boyfriend. “Good morning, JongIn~”
 
Kai, without opening his eyes, manages to babble out, “Goohd Mernin’, babee…”
 
KyungSoo is captivated by Kai’s plump, luscious lips. I mean, KyungSoo has full lips too but, Kai’s were perfect. Perfectly shaped. Perfectly colored. Perfect.
 
Tempted, KyungSoo bends down a little and gives Kai a peck on the lips. “Wake up, babo~”
 
**
 
11:36am.
 
“KyungSoo, I’ll go buy breakfast at McDonald’s. I’ll be back.”
 
He shakes his head. “No, I’ll go. What do you want?”
 
“Are you sure?”
 
He nods.
 
“Uhh, just get me some pancakes or something. With-”
 
“-extra syrup, I know~”
 
Kai grins wide. “I love you.”
 
“Love you, too, JongIn.”
 
Before KyungSoo manages to even twist the doorknob, Kai pulls him into a warm embrace.
 
“Don’t take too long, babo~ I’m going to miss you.” Kai kisses him on the cheek and lets go. “Be safe.”
 
“I will.”
 
**
There’s not many cars on the road. Most shops are empty and most homes are full.
 
KyungSoo taps his fingers along the top of his steering wheel, singing along to the song, ‘Babo‘, playing on the radio.
 
“Oh, I love you, love you, love you. You love me, love me, love me. Ara nal hyanghan neoui maeumul~”
 
He rubs his finger across the picture of Kai that he taped onto his car door window.
 
“Oh, I love you, love you, love you. Are you love me, love me, baby? Nado neorul saranghanikka~”
 
The light flashes green and KyungSoo drives forward.
 
**
Kai, whom was previously laying in bed, reading a manga, suddenly surged forward and sits up. He has a massive headache and his heart hurts.
 
Kai clutches his heart and groans. “Ahh… What the hell?”
 
His fingers go numb and his arms and leg burn every little millimeter it moves. He opens his mouth, but no words come out; pain swarming throughout his body. His bones feel as if they’ll crack and his shoulder feel heavier than ever.
 
“K-KyungSoo?”
 
**
KyungSoo’s head jerks forward, his seat belt pulling his jolting body back.
 
A massive, white cloud pops out of his steering wheel and impales him in the head.
 
“You’re so perfect. I don’t know where I’d be without you… So, don’t leave.”
 
His seatbelt presses against his chest, pressure rising on his heart.
 
His fingers make a cracking noise as they are crushed against the windshield. His legs are bent and straggled against each other underneath him, parts of his car cutting itself into his flesh. KyungSoo tries to scream out of pain but he makes no noise.
 
“We get each other… y’know? Like, no one else.”
 
The backseat pushes towards him and destructs itself inbetween his elbows, snapping his bones like twigs.
 
“We’re… It’s like we’re connected. When you hurt, I hurt…”
 
KyungSoo’s seat shoves his shoulder blades level with his neck.
 
“You’re my other half.”
 
He gasps, a mixture of blood and tears trickling down his eyes.
 
“Kai.”
 
**
All the pain that ripped through Kai’s body disappears.
 
Still in shock and overly confused about what just happened, Kai stays still. No words travel out of his mouth.
 
Tears roll down his cheek.
 
“When you cry, I cry…”
 
“…KyungSoo.”
 
**
It’s been a month since KyungSoo’s car accident. He still hasn’t recovered.
 
Kai’s life has been hell lately. He’s lonely and scared. The love of his life is gone and there’s no one to look forward to when you wake up. No one to hold when you come back from a long, tiring day from work. No one to kiss and snuggle with when you are happy.
 
No one.
 
Everyday is the same for Kai. The same cycle. Every. Single. Day.
 
**
Kai wakes up to the sound of an alarm clock.
 
He rubs his face and quickly slaps his hand on the top of clock. He groans.
 
He stands up and smiles at the walls. All four of them.
 
Kai opens the drawer in the nighstand beside his bed and takes out a Sharpie Marker.
 
He uncaps it. And his Hopes and Dreams begin there.
 
**
Kai’s headphones mute out all the sounds of the outside, replacing it with music. KyungSoo’s favorite song: ‘Babo‘.
 
He breathes out, his breath turning into a white whisp of air in the cold wintertime. His hands are stuffed into his coat pockets and a scarf knitted by KyungSoo himself is wrapped around his neck.
 
It still smells like him.
 
**
“Mr. Kim,” the doctor greets. “Here again?”
 
Kai nods. “Ne, I come here everyday.”
 
The doctor nods, smiling. “I see… Well, I’d like to talk to you about Mr. Do.”
 
“What about Mr. Do?” Kai quickly snaps back.
 
“Easy there… I’d like to talk to you about… about his health report.”
 
Kai falls silent. He’s not so cold anymore.
 
“You see. Mr. Do has been in the hospital for over a month now… And he hasn’t made any progress. I’m afraid he won’t make any progress in the future either. The state of the coma he‘s in is quite serious.”
 
Kai bites his lip to refrain from breaking down, right then and there.
 
“What?! Are you calling KyungSoo a vegetable? What are you trying to get me to do? Take him off of Life Support?!”
 
Kai is standing up now, tears hanging on the edge of his bottom eyelid.
 
The doctor looks down. “It’s the best thing to do, Mr. Kim.”
 
“Shut up! You just want KyungSoo out to make room for your other ing patients! Is that it?”
 
“N-No. Mr. Kim, that’s not it at all. How could you think that?”
 
Tears stream down his face as he sobs, kneeling beside his Soul Mate. He clutches his hand.
 
“I-I’m sorry… I… I just don’t want to give up yet…” Kai takes in a vast amount of air. “I know he’s still in there. H-He’s just still fighting it out.”
 
“There is one more option left, Mr. Kim.”
 
Kai wipes his tears away, standing up. He is still clutching KyungSoo’s hand.
 
“And what is that?”
 
**
“Where would you like him, Mr. JongIn, sir?”
 
Kai points to his bed. “On that bed, please.”
 
The nurses carefully wheel KyungSoo’s gurney into the small apartment and lay him onto Kai’s bed, gently tucking him in hopes of not loosening on of his breathing tubes.
 
“Gamsamnida, noonadeul…” Kai bows slowly as the nurses leave, shutting his door.
 
**
7:36pm.
 
Kai lays an air matress on the floor beside KyungSoo and sniffles.
 
KyungSoo’s back. Just not entirely.
 
He hasn’t moved at all. He just lays on the bed, his chest bobbing up and down very, very slowly. And Kai begins to wonder if the doctor was right. If KyungSoo was never going to make any progress.
 
But suddenly, something runs thorugh his mind. KyungSoo’s voice saying, “Don’t give up on me yet.”
 
**
11:36pm.
 
Kai has fallen asleep now, holding one of KyungSoo’s hands.
 
His pillow is soaked in tears and tissues are scattered all over the floor, only a handful made it to the trash can.
 
He moves around in his sleep, but he never lets go of KyungSoo’s hand. It stays put. And no one will every pry it away.
 
**
The next morning, Kai trudges past KyungSoo, avoiding his presence a little so he won’t cry.
 
But, it doesn’t turn out so well.
 
The bathroom door is shut tight yet even from hundreds of miles away, you can hear him sobbing. Tears stream down his cheeks, his eyes red, and his hair messed up. He stares at himself in the mirror as he cries.
 
He washes his face as an attempt to cool off. Staring back at himself, he breathes in and he breathes out.
 
It might’ve choked him a little to get out these words but he said it anyway.
 
“I won’t give up, KyungSoo. Not yet.”
 
**
Kai opens the nightstand drawer and takes out the Sharpie marker. He uncaps it and smiles at the walls again.
 
The room is silent except for the 5 second beeping of KyungSoo’s monitor. Which is actually soothing and inspirational to Kai, his hand moving swiftly; the Sharpie marker seemed as if it were made specially for his fingers.
 
**
Kai spends his mid-morning with KyungSoo.
 
He sits in a chair to the right of him, holding his hand and talking to him about his day so far.
 
Sometimes he says nothing but speaks to him through his mind.
 
Sometimes words escape him but he doesn’t let that stop him. He stares at KyungSoo passionately, his vision blurry due to the fact that simply gawking at him leaves him breathless. Or maybe it’s love.
 
Kai runs his finger across KyungSoo’s smooth jawline. The feel of KyungSoo gives Kai the chills. His fingers finds its way to his lips and it decides to trace them. As if his finger has a life of its own.
 
The moment the tip of his finger grazes the side of his bottom lip, a rush of memories flash through his eyes.
 
The first time they met at the coffee shop.
 
The day KyungSoo made him dinner.
 
The day they accidentally paid too much money to YiFan.
 
The day they had their first kiss.
 
The day Kai asked KyungSoo out.
 
The day they dance and sang for each other.
 
And the day Kai took KyungSoo’s ity.
 
If you didn’t know these two, you’d be disgusted by this. The fact that they had .
 
But, no. Sometimes it’s the crazy things in life that are best. It’s the crazy things you do because of love. That day wasn’t just of lust. It contained precious moments of passion and pure love. They stared into each others’ eyes that day. And that day is when they knew they were meant for each other.
 
**
Kai kisses KyungSoo on the cheek before leaving to buy a few groceries. Maybe stop by the café for that Caramel Macchiato he’s been craving. And not to forget the extra whipped cream.
 
-
 
He hasn’t been out to a store or shop in such a long time. Everything reminds him too much of KyungSoo.
 
He walks into the Grocery Store and picks up some eggs, milk, and ingredients for spaghetti.
 
As he searched the Pasta aisle for the spaghetti, he frowns.
 
“Bowtie Pasta on Sale! 50% off!”
 
Kai stares at the ceiling and gulps away his silent sobs.
 
He can just imagine taking KyungSoo with him, and rolling his eyes jokingly when he shouted, “Wow! 50% off! We have to get this, Kai! I’ll cook it for you! It’s not always 50%! This is a steal!”
 
Bowtie Pasta was the first thing KyungSoo ever cooked for him.
 
**
The trip at the coffee shop was a better experience than at the Grocery Store. YiFan greets him with a wide, toothy smile.
 
“Eyy, Kai! I haven’t seen you in a while!”
 
Kai half-heartedly smiles. “Yeah, well…”
 
YiFan knows what happened. Everyone does. “I’ll get your Caramel Macchiato for you. Free of charge.”
 
Kai shakes his head, pulling out his wallet. “No, no. It’s fine. I’ll pay for it.”
 
YiFan hands him the coffee. “Are you sure?”
 
Kai nods. He hands him the money and walks out.
 
YiFan looks at his hand.
 
Kai gave him $50.
 
**
Time passes by faster and faster today or Kai’s on drugs.
 
5:36pm.
 
Kai unlocks his apartment door, KyungSoo being the first thing he sees.
 
“I got you a Caramel Macchiato… with extra whipped cream of course.”
 
He sets down the coffee and sighs. He misses it when KyungSoo would hug him, thanking him. 
 
“Oh, you didn’t have to! Thank you, JongInnie!~”
 
Kai stares at the floor. The beeping of the monitor rips through his thoughts.
 
“Please, make it through, KyungSoo. You need to fight it.”
 
**
Two months pass by and every day goes the same.
 
Wake up, KyungSoo, Sharpie, KyungSoo, coffee, KyungSoo, KyungSoo, KyungSoo.
 
But, Kai doesn’t get tired of it. He’d do anything for KyungSoo. Anything.
 
Although today, he does something a little different…
 
-
 
After writing with the Sharpie, kissing KyungSoo goodbye, and grabbing a coffee, Kai takes a stroll to the park.
 
It takes a while to get there but Kai doesn’t mind. He has loads of free time.
 
He smiles when he sees it. The white bench in front of the tall Oak tree.
 
He takes a few steps forward and sits on it, taking a sip of his coffee.
 
The feeling of the bench gives Kai a sense of comfort. And he likes it. He smiles and smiles.
 
Then his face goes blank. The bench also gives out memories.
 
“Oh, just shut up and kiss me!”
 
This is where they had their first kiss.
 
**
Kai walks back to his apartment, taking his mail in.
 
He sets his coffee down and flips through the mail, stopping at the third on.
 
“To Mr. Kim JongIn & Mr. Do KyungSoo
From Dr. Lee from Seoul Hospital
KyungSoo Health Report”
 
Kai sits down for this one, prepared for the best and prepared for the worst.
 
He rips open the envelope and reads carefully.
 
“W-What?”
 
He drops it onto the floor.
 
**
Kai slams the door of Dr. Lee’s office open, throwing everything on the ground.
 
“WHAT DO YOU MEAN KYUNGSOO’S GOT A MONTH?! TO LIVE?! TO MAKE PROGRESS?! IF YOU’RE DOING THIS TO SEND MAIL TO PEOPLE TO GIVE THEM HEART ATTACKS, YOU’RE DOING A DAMN WELL GOOD JOB!”
 
Kai throws the envelope onto his desk.
 
Dr. Lee backs up against the window. “M-Mr. Kim. Hear me out. We’ve done the best we could. He’s just not making progress. Instead, h-he’s getting worse and worse day by day…”
 
Tears are blurring his vision and sobs are stuck in his throat. Choked words manage to escape his lips. Words sounding like “I’d rather die.”
 
**
Kai runs furiously back home. Tears stream along the sides of his face as the cold wind rushes past his face.
 
After a while, he leans against the side of a building and catches his breath, dried tears make his face feel dry and dirty. But, he doesn’t care. All he cares about is KyungSoo.
 
He stands up to walk home, choked sobs finding their way out of his mouth as people stare at him.
 
**
“KyungSoo!”
 
Kai quickly shuts the door and kneels beside KyungSoo, clutching his hand.
 
“I… I know you don’t have just a month to live… Y-You’re so strong. You’re fighting it. I just know it. I’ve gone to so many places… so many places that we went together. It’s a sign, KyungSoo. It’s a sign that you’re going to make it. I just know it.”
 
**
10:36am.
 
Kai uncaps the Sharpie maker and smiles at the walls again.
 
His hand gracefully moves around, the Sharpie marker is it’s dance partner. Kai’s wrist moves so freely, so smoothly. As if the world is at its grasp.
 
And he looks at KyungSoo and smiles. He’s his inspiration.
 
**
Two months pass by. It’s April.
 
3:36pm.
 
Kai comes back from the coffee shop, holding a small box with a CheonHyun’s Bakery logo on it.
 
“I’m back.”
 
Kai sits down on the chair beside KyungSoo.
 
“See,” he whispers, “Dr. Lee gave you a month. It’s been two.”
 
**
 
9:36am.
 
Kai wakes up, it’s bright outside and then sun is pouring in through the windows.
 
He sits up to stretch, his elbow brushing against KyungSoo’s wrist. Kai smiles at him.
 
“You’re doing so well, KyungSoo. You can do it.”
 
Kai bites his lip. “I know you can.”
 
**
Ring.
 
The bell above the door signals to Kris that a customer has walked in.
 
“Good morning, Kai.” He grins before turning his head backward and shouting, “A hot Caramel Macchiato with-”
 
“Extra whipped cream, I know!!”
 
Kris turns his head back smirking all bad- and whatnot. “Will that be all for you today?”
 
Kai nods. “Yeah.”
 
“Two nine-”
 
“Two ninety-nine. I got it.”
 
Kris laughs softly. “Wow, I must talk a lot.”
 
**
The sun is out today. Most of April has been rainy.
 
“April’s Showers bring May’s Flowers,” KyungSoo would say. “It’s nice.”
 
And Kai would have rolled his eyes and jokingly nudged him in the arm. “Yeah, right.”
 
Kai decides to take another stroll in the park; glancing the white bench from afar.
 
He wonders if the heart he & KyungSoo scratched out on the back of it was still there.
 
-
 
Kai kneels behind the bench and smiles.
 
“KyungSoo + JongIn 5ever!!^^”
 
And under it, was another heart with the big words inside of it:
 
“KyungSoo. Will you go out with me?”
 
**
Kai walks back home to the apartment, to finish his daily Sharpie routine.
 
But on the way, he passes a building.
 
A building that was vaguely familiar.
 
-
 
Kai walks in. It’s empty.
 
The floor was glossed and shiny and the ceiling was higher than the sky. Lights were built into the walls and not one piece of furniture was in sight.
 
It was his old dance studio.
 
Kai drops his backpack onto the ground and slowly walks towards the mirrored walls. He places his hand on the mirror, tears welling in his eyes.
 
“You’ll teach me to dance one day, okay?”
 
Kai looks down at his feet.
 
“We’ll do a couple dance.”
 
Teardrops fell, thundering and pounding as they splash onto the floor.
 
“And we‘ll enter a competition. Maybe even get famous!”
 
The end of his lips curled down, his lower teeth showing. He looks at himself in the mirror. He sees KyungSoo again. He’s back-hugging Kai, his arms placed firmly around his waist.
 
“Even if it takes years for me to master it. Because we’ve got lots of time together.”
 
KyungSoo hugs him tighter, and kisses his cheek.
 
“Right?”
 
That was the day they made love.
 
**
That night, Kai spends hours dancing again.
 
The only thing he was passionate about before he met KyungSoo.
 
Before KyungSoo became his world.
 
“Because we have lots of time together.”
 
Kai dances more and more each time KyungSoo’s voiced echoed in his head.
 
His hands moved swiftly yet smoothly. As graceful as a ballerina.
 
Then he stopped.
 
“We’ll do a couple dance.”
 
Even if it hurt his heart to do it, even if it made him cry harder, even if it made him choke on his sobs, Kai wrapped his arms around the air, and danced with it.
 
He held the air as if it were a fragile thing, as delicate and thin as a feather.
 
He danced with it as if it were… KyungSoo.
 
**
12:36am is when Kai comes back from the Dance Studio.
 
And he couldn’t be anymore happier to see KyungSoo.
 
He quickly shuts the door and drops everything, nothing but KyungSoo is on his mind.
 
Kai cries again that day. He huddles beside KyungSoo, careful not to push off any of his breathing tubes.
 
It’s hard to breath now. His nose is congested and sobbing three times a day doesn’t help either.
 
Kai puts his arm around KyungSoo’s chest, smiling when it moves up and down.
 
There’s still hope left and he knows it. For anything.
 
“I will dance with you one day, KyungSoo.”
 
**
One month passes by.
 
It’s almost complete. He looks at his apartment walls again, smiling as tears drop down his cheeks.
 
Beep… Beep… Beep…
 
Kai looks over to KyungSoo’s monitor. It’s going well.
 
He sighs. “The doctor said you were at your end two months ago. He doesn’t know there’s something else that keeps you alive. It’s not just oxygen o-or a good heart,” Kai wipes away his tears. “It’s love.”
 
**
The Dance Studio is empty again.
 
But Kai brings his friend.
 
Mr. JongKyung.
 
He’s a teddy bear KyungSoo sewed all by himself for Kai.
 
Kai dances for hours. From Dusk ‘Till Dawn. Even without his glorious coffee break.
 
-
 
It’s not until 9:36pm that Kai decides to go back home to his loving KyungSoo.
 
**
Kai unlocks the door, quietly shutting it afterward.
 
“I’m home, KyungSoo!~”
 
He stretches but frowns when he realizes the atmosphere is completely wrong.
 
It felt… dim… and gloomy.
 
Kai gasped. And he dropped his jacket.
 
“KyungSoo?”
 
His monitor went flat.
 
-
 
“K-KyungSo- KYUNGSOO!!”
 
Kai leaps towards him, grabbing onto his shoulders and gently shaking him.
 
“K-KyungSoo? You can’t die. N-No, not now. Not now. You can’t leave me. P-Please. Don’t go yet. Please.”
 
The monitor doesn’t agree.
 
“K-KYUNGSOO!! COME BACK!!”
 
Tears streamed down his face, dripping onto KyungSoo’s pale cheek. His lips parted and his jaw lowered.
 
Kai screams as loud as he can. He cries as hard as he can. He holds KyungSoo as much as he can.
 
“KYUNGSOO, COME BACK TO ME!!!”
 
His throat burns. His eyes burn. His skin burns.
 
His precious KyungSoo was fading away every second. And he couldn’t stop it. He… He didn’t know how to.
 
Kai holds him close, his chin in the space between KyungSoo’s neck and chest.
 
“You… Y-You can’t die yet… It’s not time f-for you to…”
 
Kai locks his fingers with KyungSoo’s, fitting perfectly together.
 
KyungSoo was cold.
 
“Please…”
 
The monitor was still flat. The green line looks as if it were tormenting Kai, telling him he was useless.
 
“W-Wae?”
 
Kai holds KyungSoo’s hand tighter, pressing his lips together as hard as he could, trying to prevent himself from crying anymore.
 
KyungSoo’s chest didn’t move. Neither did his heart.
 
He bit his lip, blood slowly seeping down into KyungSoo’s shirt. It was dark compared to KyungSoo’s cold, pale skin. Was it cruel to say it was beautiful?
 
Kai matches their foreheads together, holding in his wails. No matter how bad he wants to let it out.
 
He knew this was the end.
 
He knew it.
 
All he wanted… All he wanted was one last kiss.
 
He carefully wraps his hands around KyungSoo’s jaw and gently presses his lips against KyungSoo’s.
 
Their lips match perfectly.
 
A thousand volts of adrenaline pumps through Kai within one second, all of their memories flashes upon his eyes again.
 
All the ways they expressed their love for each oher flashes again.
 
The way they held each other carefully in their arms.
 
The way they caress each other when the other’s feeling sad.
 
The way they kissed with such passion.
 
The way they were in love. It was simply enough to give Kai another chance.
 
-
 
KyungSoo’s wrist twitches.
 
And Kai notices.
 
He breaks away from KyungSoo’s beautifully shaped lips, still an inch away from him.
 
He looks up into KyungSoo’s eyes. They’re still closed.
 
Tears well in Kai’s eyes again but he stays still, still staring at KyungSoo’s stunning face.
 
When all of a sudden, the monitor tells all.
 
Beep… Beep… Beep…
 
It was the kiss.
 
It was the love.
 
**
It’s 11:20am.
 
May 16th, 2013.
 
Kai wakes up at 5 in the morning to finish his Sharpie project. For six and a half straight hours of course.
 
KyungSoo’s shirt is still stained with a few drops of blood. His lips are still slightly parted. His skin still pale.
 
KyungSoo’s wrist twitches again. Kai looks over. He smiles.
 
Kai caps his Sharpie Marker and walks over to KyungSoo.
 
“You know I love you, right? A-And… And that I’d do anything for you, right?”
 
Kai rubs KyungSoo’s hair with his hand.
 
“Anything.”
 
He kisses KyungSoo on the lips again, this time a bit longer.
 
He clutches his hand, tears flowing down from his cheek over to KyungSoo’s cheek.
 
Kai steps back, holding the Sharpie in his hand.
 
He uncaps it and writes one last thing.
 
“I’m finished.”
 
**
11:25am.
 
Kai blows a kiss goodbye to KyungSoo, looking up at the ceiling to avoid crying again as he shuts the door.
 
“I hope you remember me.”
 
-
 
11:30am.
 
Kai is in his car, driving out of the MyeonA Apartments parking lot.
 
He drives to the closest McDonald’s.
 
-
 
11:34am.
 
Tears are already running down Kai’s face, into his mouth.
 
Kai turns up the volume on the CD player.
 
“Oh, I love you, love you, love you. You love me, love me, love me. Ara nal hyanghan neoui maeumul~”
 
Kai sings along. It’s ‘Babo’.
 
“Oh, I love you, love you, love you. Are you love me, love me, baby? Nado neorul saranghanikka~”
 
-
 
11:35am.
 
Kai takes a deep breath and whispers one last thing.
 
“I love you, Do KyungSoo.”
 
And he swerves into the side of the road.
 
**
KyungSoo’s eyes flash wide open. He gasps.
 
His breathing is very fast, his nose is flared. His vision is blurry.
 
And for some reason, he is crying.
 
All of a sudden…
 
**
Kai’s head is rammed into steering wheel.
 
A shard of glass is stuck between his ribs, dodging his heart.
 
His arms flail towards the windshield, crushing them along with his fingers.
 
The break pedal snaps one of his feet, blood rushing out of his leg.
 
Kai gasps for air, but nothing comes in.
 
He tries to scream, but nothing comes out.
 
“When you hurt, I hurt…”
 
**
KyungSoo’s head hurts very severely.
 
He has major heartburn, and something that feels like needles in his chest. He tries not to move, thinking it will only make it worse.
 
His fingers are numb, and it hurts to move them. His legs feel like there are massive flesh wounds on them, a burning sensation.
 
He wants to whisper, “Kai”, but it’s no use. His lungs won’t push out any air.
 
**
Kai’s seatbelt surges back to it’s place, choking him. He manages to get out, but by the time he does, the other part of it surges back on his shoulders, a painful crack! filling the air.
 
**
KyungSoo yelps when his shoulders feel as if someone kicked him there, stinging with every little move.
 
**
Kai’s lips are blistered. He’s hanging on a thread of life left. Fate has found him.
 
He smiles one last time at the memory playing in his head.
 
The time when they first met.
 
They both ordered the same drink, Kris mixing it up so they ended up sharing one.
 
He remembers it as if it were yesterday.
 
“That’s my drink,” Kai had snarled.
 
“No, I ordered this, too.” KyungSoo said, a big grin was plastered on his face.
 
Kai smiles wider. A blood-mix-tear falls down his bruised, wounded face. 
 
His throat was burning, blood spilling out of his mouth. It hurt him to say it, but he did.
 
“Now you’re alive, KyungSoo.”
 
“When you’re happy, I’m happy…”
 
**
KyungSoo shoots up.
 
He rips the tubes out of his body and nose and looks around the room.
 
“K-Kai?”
 
He tears the blanket off and grabs Mr. JongKyung.
 
Tears were spilling out of his eyes faster than anything.
 
“K-KAI?!”
 
He drops the stuffed animal, his jaw literally drops.
 
-
 
Three walls were covered in writing.
 
“Eat another donut with you.”
 
“Celebrate a one year anniversary with you.”
 
“Go to America with you.”
 
“Learn how to dance with you.”
 
“Buy a dog with you.”
 
"Watch teh sunset with you."
 
KyungSoo’s lips twitches. A soft sob escaping them.
 
All three walls were filled with Bucket List Wishes. All of them ending with a “-with you.”
 
He looks at the door. In black marker it says:
 
“First on the Bucket List… Create a Bucket List.”
 
KyungSoo falls to the floor, sitting in his own puddle of tears. A deep pain rips into his heart.
 
“Kai…”
 
He turns around, his gentle sobs coming to a stop.
 
“Oh, my God…,” he whispers.
 
On the fourth wall of the apartment is the most beautiful thing he’s ever seen.
 
He steps closer.
 
And closer.
 
And closer.
 
He touches the smooth surface, more tears falling from his big, round eyes.
 
It’s a giant portrait of KyungSoo. All in Sharpie.
 
Kai’s favorite picture of him.
 
Smiling because he won a goldfish at the State Fair. That was their last date together.
 
It was signed “Kim JongIn” at the bottom. And a sentence beneath it.
 
“Draw a giant portrait of you. [check!]”
 
KyungSoo smiles.
 
He’s never felt so in love.
 
Not even a year has passed. But he knows.
 
He knows Kai was the one.
 
He sees the inflatable bed on the ground and the chair with Kai’s backpack.
 
There was a single piece of paper laying on it. It said:
 
“Switch spots with you… Forever. [check...]”
 
-
 
There’s a CD on his nightstand. He picks it up.
 
“Babo - Juniel.” On it, written in black sharpie is, “From Kai; To my Love. Here’s your favorite album.”
 
-
 
KyungSoo sits on his bed, staring at the framed photo beside his bed.
 
It was the white bench in the park.
 
“You’re my other half.”
 
End.
 
**
A/N:
Excuse me -blows nose- This is by far my favorite fic I’ve wrote. Right next to “Say Hello”. I hope you all enjoyed this fic^^. I worked hard on it.~
 
Please, for the sake of KaiSoo’s well-being, PPLLEEAASSEE comment! PLEAAAAASE. PLEASE PLEASE. PLEASE. PLEASE. PLEASE. PLEASE.
 
This is going to be my last fic for two/three weeks. You should shower me with comments D:
 
Anyway, please subscribe and comment! Don’t forget that subscribe button :D
 
Thank you so much for staying with me nine months straight. I appreciate this a lot^^…
 
-riceisnice