Park Chanyeol

Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites

 

It is one rare quiet morning, Joonmyun thinks. The hospital is never too busy in the morning, but the hall where Joonmyun works has never been this empty as well. To think positively, God may have blessed everyone with joy and health this morning. Joonmyun happily sways on his seat and hums a joyful song while checking on some data when suddenly someone bombards the front desk.

Not literally, though.

 

A loud thump surprises Joonmyun the front officer as a man with long limbs and curly brunette hair appears in front of his desk. This man must be clumsy as hell, he thinks. Fortunately, Joonmyun is a man with a wide range of patience. He isn’t angry at all. Instead, he stands up and greets the first visitor of today with a warm and friendly smile.

“Good morning. Welcome to Exo Medical Center. May I help you, sir?” However, this man says nothing at all. He only gives blank, cold stares right at Joonmyun’s eyes, which sends some kind of shivers down his spine.

Joonmyun receives a letter, instead of having an answer or at least having his greetings replied. The man picks out a small envelope from his bag. He hands the envelope to the confused front officer, who takes it in the end anyway. It’s a part of service, Joonmyun tells himself.

 

Park Chanyeol is written in a big messy handwriting on its surface.

 

“Oh, do you want me to hand this to Mr. Park Chanyeol, sir? I need to check whether–” The man grabs Joonmyun’s hand, surprising enough to give the front officer a heart attack. He shakes his head violently, indicating that it isn’t what Joonmyun is supposed to be doing. With his hand gesture, he tells Joonmyun to rip the envelope and read the letter inside.  And so, Joonmyun only nods and does as he told.

The man has his eyes fixed on Joonmyun as he reads one page full of sentences he's now holding on his right hand, written with blue inked pen on an A4 paper. Joonmyun assumes that it's written in a hurry, seeing the ink smears here and there all over the paper. Sometimes, he pauses and glances at the man, who is standing still in front of his desk, before he gets back to reading and finally finishes the letter in less than 5 minutes.

Not long after that, Joonmyun dials the number of Mental Health Department.

 

 

 

“Mmm, I need some help here…”

 

***

 

 

 

“Come in,” Kris answers the knock on the door without even turning his attention from all those files on the table he’s been examining. Some cases need further studies, some reports positive improvements, some diagnosis are wrong, some new symptoms emerge; most of them are just troublesome, but fortunately everything is still possible to handle.

Those reports he receives everyday are from all the staffs, containing each patient’s progress and regress, problems and solutions, predictions and records. As the head of Mental Health Department, Kris needs to make sure that everything and more importantly everyone works properly under control. To put it simply, Kris is responsible for everything happens in this department.

 

“Look at yourself, Mr. Workaholic. Do you even remember to eat?” Hearing the voice, Kris lifts his head in an instant. Luhan is now standing in front of his table, holding more files on his left hand for Kris to work on and a big lunchbox on his right.

Kris quickly stands up and walks toward Luhan, one of the psychotherapists in Exo Medical Center, who has been his boyfriend for more than a year. He pulls Luhan into a hug and gives the shorter man a peck on the lips.

It’s not that Kris forgets to eat. Honestly his stomach has been grumbling, but he’s just way too lazy to go downstairs and have some meal; forever blaming his boss for placing him on the 3rd floor, far away from the cafeteria. And his lovely Luhan always comes at the right time.

“You’re definitely going to be a good wife.” Kris smiles sheepishly and takes the lunchbox from Luhan’s tiny hand. The delicious smell of bibimbap inside reaches his nose and Kris is more than ready to finish them off.

“Says the person who begged to be bottom last night…” Luhan playfully grabs Kris’ collar and whispers on his ear. Kris pinches his nose and they plop themselves to the white couch inside Kris’ office.

"Oh come on, Lulu. You said you wanted to try something new..."

 

“Whatever..." Luhan rolls his eyes. "Anyway, I’m not here merely to bring you food, honey.”

Luhan puts all the files he brought on his lap and picks the one on top, the one that he's been wanting Kris to see. He s the file to his boyfriend, who is in the middle of enjoying the bibimbap he brought. “We have something interesting today.”

“Gosh, I’m eating, Lulu. Can’t you just read it for me?” Kris protests with his bloating cheeks, fully filled with foods. Honestly, Luhan finds Kris really cute, despite his intimidating outer appearance, especially when he’s eating. Luhan ruffles Kris’ hair, earning a raised eyebrow from his boyfriend.

“Aigoo, look at those puffy cheeks. Alright dear, hyung will read it for you.” Luhan chuckles while Kris can only frown. Luhan is indeed older than him for like 6 months. But there's no way in hell anyone would believe that, seeing how cheerful and young Luhan is compared to this giant blonde that goes by the name of Kris Wu.

 

 

 

“So, apparently his name is Park Chanyeol…”

 

***

 

 

 

“Wait, what? What did you say? He spoke to you?” Kyungsoo’s eyes widen in amazement. Kris only nods slightly before he pays his attention back to the clipboard he’s been holding.

“But how? How was that even possible? He always refuses to talk to me, to everyone. He never even makes any noise when he eats!” Kyungsoo pulls a chair and sits beside him. It is a surprising news for him as one of the nurses. It probably is surprising for even the entire staffs in this hospital.

 

“I don’t know. Perhaps he thinks you’re scary.” Kyungsoo turns his head and glares at him with his now-as-big-as-a-tennis-ball eyes. Kris always thinks that Kyungsoo is amazing for having those elastic eyeballs that can rapidly grow from enthusiasm or shock.

Once, Kris ever had Kyungsoo examined by Yixing, his fellow friend from the Eye Health Department, to see what kind of sorcery Kyungsoo actually has on his eyeballs. And that only resulted on a solo labor strike done by the motherly nurse Kyungsoo for a week straight.

 

“Excuse me? You’re the scary one, Wu Yifan.” Kyungsoo narrows his eyebrows, imitating Kris’ default facial expression which undeniably resembles the phenomenal Angry Birds.

“Shut up and get back to work, Do Kyungsoo.” Kris playfully hits Kyungsoo’s head and quickly pays his attention back to the clipboard. Park Chanyeol’s files are attached on it: his medical records, his latest check up result, and the report from Baekhyun, the therapist in charge for Park Chanyeol's case.

 

The more Kris studies it, the bigger confusion he gets.

 

 

 

Park Chanyeol. 20. Submitted himself on July 18, 2012.

 

 

 


 

a/n:

this was supposed to be a oneshot, but yeah, that.

i'll make this 3 or 4 chapters long instead.

and please, do comment since it's my first time writing something like this and i really really need your feedback.