The Rules of Wishing

If You Wish It

 

Eunmi felt cold liquid splash on her face and began coughing rigorously as she sat up. She used her sleeve to wipe her face and continued coughing letting the water drain out of . The stranger whom she thought was a dream, looked at her with a relieved face and placed the empty cup on the edge of the coffee table.

 

“Phew.” He exhaled as he placed his hand on the nape of his neck. “I thought you died for a second there.” Eunmi blinked at the figure standing across from her as she dangled her legs off the couch.

 

“Who the hell are you?” She retorted as she looked at him with a stern face. “What are you doing in my apartment?” Surprised by her  reaction, the guy tilted his head and crossed his arms over his chest and gave a dull smile.

 

“You know,” He started saying as he strides slowly in front of Eunmi. “That’s no way to treat a genie.”

 

Eunmi gaped at him and shook her head, trying to remember what happened before. She clearly remembered receiving the box from the land lady, opening the box and polishing that old  antique-

 

“Here” The genie handed a white envelope to Eunmi. Her eyes scanned his to his hand and reached for the enveloped hesitantly. “It was from the box.”

 

It was far too impossible for him to actually be a genie, right? She only thought these events happened in fairytales and for all she knows, fairytales are not real.  She glared at the genie and even though it was clearly written for Choi Eunmi, the letter was clearly read.

 

“Why did you read this?”

 

“Why was it in my box to begin with?” He spat back.  “I wouldn’t have read that if you haven’t fainted. It makes sense.”

 

She shook her head, this genie is going to be a stubborn one.  She opened the letter and she read it to herself:

 

To My Dearest Choi Eunmi,

                You might have not even known, but I have been saving this lamp for you ever since your parents died in the tragic car accident when you were younger. I haven’t myself, used this genie but I know that living without a family can be tough. So take this genie and use his wishes well.

With Love,

Grandma Choi June

 

 

Choi Eunmi folded the letter and placed it on the coffee table and looked at the genie who was gazing back at her.

 

“So basically,” Eunmi stood up and walked towards the nameless genie. “You’re actually a genie that came out of that lamp?” She pointed at the lamp that was knocked off the table and on the kitchen floor.”

 

He rolled his eyes at the small girl in front of him and nodded his head once. “Weren’t you listening to me, miss?”

 

“Not quite.”

 

“That’s what I thought.” He said  and grabbed her shoulders and pushed her down on the couch. “Okay, so listen carefully because I’m not going to explain this again.”

 

“Fine.” Eunmi crossed her arms and pouted cutely. The genie smirks and retrieves the lamp off the floor.

 

“This is my lamp.” He holds it as it was a trophy. “See the cursive L? Yeah, that’s my name, I do go by another name, but that’s not important right now-“

 

“Wait, so the L doesn’t stand for Lamp-“

 

“What? no.” He made a face and narrows his eyes at Eunmi. “Who would ever do that?”

 

Choi Eunmi shrugs her shoulders and crosses her legs. “Carry along, genie.”

 

“It’s L”

 

“Whatever.”

 

“Anyways, see when you rubbed the lamp, you triggered   magical dust to form and awaken the all mighty genie.” He pointed to himself and gave a dashing smile. “That’s me, if you haven’t noticed.”

 

She blinked and continued staring at L.  L scratched the back of his neck and ran his fingers through his dark hair. Awkward.

 

“Whoever rubs my lamp receives three wishes and three wishes only.”  Eunmi’s head perked up and she raised her eyebrows.

 

“Jinja?”

 

“Yes, really.” He murmured back. “ Okay, so listen to my rules.”

 

“There’s rules when it comes to wishing?” Eunmi asked as she raised her legs to the couch.  She was clearly interesting in what L had to say.

 

“Yes. Now let me finish.” He spat back, annoyed. “ Rule number one: You can’t make a wish to make unlimited wishes.”

 

“Darn.”

 

“Rule number two: You can’t wish people dead or bring someone back to life.” L seemed soft when he said this and his voice was low. “And Rule number three: You have to make your wishes very detailed or else you end up not liking what you wished for.”

 

Eunmi nodded her head and smiled upon the genie.  “Okay, I think I understand.”

 

“Good, because I wasn’t going to explain it again”

 

“Choi Eunmi.”

 

“What?” He gave the girl a disgusted face.

 

“Choi Eunmi.” She stretched her out, inferring L to shake it. “That’s my name.” He stared at her hand before grabbing it and pulling her off the couch, making their bodies collide with each other.

 

He smirks down at her. “I kinda knew that already.” He said with a raspy low voice. She pushes L away from her and frowns.

 

“H-how’d you know?”

 

“I read your letter, remember?”

 

“Oh.”

 

He chuckles at the cute girl a few centimeters away from him as she lowers her head offend. “What? You thought I already know everything about you?”

 

“N-no.” Eunmi furrows her eyebrows and frowns.

 

“You’re a bad liar, but you’re cute. So that makes up for it.”

 

 

:::::::::

 

Thank you for subscribing! I can't believe this story recieved this much subscribers.

 I’m overfilled with Joy! Thank you and please comment! 

^.^