2

The Late Letter

It was on that particular day in class, when the pupils are exceptionally noisy.

Of course, it is not the first time. I mean, who would not be excited to know that there will be a new transfer student in the class?

"If the new student is a guy, and is a hottie, I definitely won't mind him in our class!" Jae Mi, my friend sitting in front of me started dreamily, her hand under her chin.

"Huh! What if it is a pretty girl? Then _____ will be in 'danger'!" Kikwang rebutted her. Then he smiled at me. I awkwardly smiled back at him. My seatmate is so weird.

"Excuse me, what if the girl is cute? Pretty and cute is not on the same line!" Jae Hyun, Jae Mi's twin sister joined in the conversation.

Somehow, Kikwang didn't reply Jae Hyun when she started fantasizing over the new 'male' student. He was staring at me from head to toe. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat.

"Besides, who could even beat _____ in her prettiness?" Jae Mi continued.

"No, it is not that!" my eyes widened and I shook my hands wildly in front of me. No such thing!

As if God had answered to my prayers, the teacher walked in, with a student tagging along behind. Not a male. Good luck, Jae sisters.

The new transfer student carried a grey backpack and in her hands, a file which has a picture of a... CORN?!

The new student had a nice body, fair skin, long straight hair. And it is red. Weird much? Even though the school allows the students to dye their hair, no one ever chose red. Except for her.

"Everyone, our class has a new..."

"Transfer student!!"

Without letting the teacher to finish her sentence, the male students in the class finished it off for her.

"Smart. If you guys can put this spirit into doing your homework, your work will improve tremendously!"

"Aigoo~"

Everyone whined. Immediately.

I looked at the new student. Initially, she looked lost. But fast enough, she smiled, revealing her white teeth. Her eyes disappeared. Eyesmile.

To me, the appearance doesn't matter. She looks nice enough.

"Can everyone keep quiet? Let me finish my sentence!" the teacher shouted.

Like magic, the class shut up immediately.

"This student beside me, her name is Park Bom. Transferred from Gangnam Academy to Seoul High. Hopefully you guys can communicate well with her. Don't you dare bully her!"

"Seongsang-nim, let her do a self-introduction!"

Suddenly, this guy from behind shouted across the room. I slightly turned my head around, and peeked a little, should be the ones sitting near the wall, but I don't know who is it.

Everyone then bursted out wih their buttload of comments.

Even the teacher could not stop them, she nodded towards Park Bom, and she nodded back. Standing in front of the class, she did her self-introduction.

"Annyeonghaseyo! Park Bom imnida! Erm... You can call me Bom or Bommy. I am from Gangnam area, recently moved to here, Seoul. I have this love for corn! Hehe. If there is anything I don't know, please help me out!" She started and bowed to the class.

"Wa! I bet she prepared before she arrives. Speak fluently, her feelings composed," Kikwang stared at her, but he said those words to me.

"......" I have no comments.

If there is no evidence of something, I would never comment on it.

The rule of being _____.

I looked at her while she started walking towards the seat right at the back.

 

"That's pitiful..." Jaemi turned around, looking at "The Loner's Table" and looked at it.

I nodded my head in agreement.

"The Loner's Table" is really... pathetic. On its right, it is a wall. On it's left, the corridor. No seatmates, making it awkwardly lonely. Before that, our class had 41 pupils, so when we were arranging the tables and chairs, there is no choice but to leave that one table out, so our teacher placed it at the back of the class, right at the corner. After that, there was a boy who applied for this school and managed to get into our class. Then he requested for an exchange of classes so it was empty until now.

"Okay class, please turn to page 180 of your textbook..." the teacher started teaching and paid my full attention to the lesson.

After fifty minutes, the lesson finally ended. Kikwang invited me to eat with him in the canteen.

Sometimes, we will eat together, sometimes we don't. I eat with anyone on no specific days or dates. Who invites me to eat with them, then I will go with that person. I don't have a best friend in class, let alone a good friend. Well, maybe Kikwang. Basically, I go well with anyone and everyone.

"So? Are you going to learn more about her?" Kikwang nudged and asked me as we passed by Bom's new table. I peeked at her for a little while, "You know me well enough, I don't go around introducing myself to strangers." I replied him, raising an eyebrow.

So that's the reason why people ask to be friends with me.

"Keke, I wonder how long she would be able to sustain in that seat?" Kikwang chuckled suddenly.

I stopped suddenly. Kikwang knows her?

"That seat isn't a good one! Whoever sits there, bad luck will befall on that person!" Kikwang explained and folded his arms, pushing up his imaginary glasses.

"Haha! Jinja? Are you a professional in this?"

"Remember, Lee Tae Hong sat there for less than two months and left the class!"

Lee Tae Hong was indeed the one who sat there previously.

"Does that mean that bad luck will befall on that person?"

"Do you think it is fun to transfer classes just like that?"

"I think he did not do well for Science or something, so he exchanged for an Arts class..."

"~~~~~, you are just so gullible! To me, things are not as simple as you think it is to be," Kikwang lectured while pointing his index finger at me. I kept silent, I have no wishes to argue with him.

Sometimes, what he says are not based on evidence, just focusing on his own thoughts. No one can even persuade him to change his mind. Anyway, Tae Hong already transferred classes, is it bad luck, or anything, he himself is the most knowledgable.

 

- AT THE CANTEEN -

"Omana! Today's noodles are like crap! Gosh, it's so disgusting," I shouted andn made a face. My good mood was being chased away just like that.

"Is it really that crappy?" Kikwang asked.

"The soup has no taste, the noodles are too hard. Such a failure," I muttered.

"Want to exchange with my kimchi rice?" he asked me.

"H-huh?" I replied, wide-eyed, frozen in the air as I stared at Kikwang. Exchange food with him? Are you kidding me?

"Erm, don't get me wrong! I only ate one small part of it!" he protested.

Just then, I saw Jaemi and Bom walking together with their food, smiling and laughing together. Jaemi caught sight of me and rushed towards me, "Hi ~~~~~!"

"Hi," I muttered in return.

"Jaemi, have you forgotten about me?" Kikwang faked a hurt expression and clutched his heart.

Jaemi rolled her eyes.

"What are you guys eating?" she asked. Kikwang pushed his kimchi rice to her.

"Looks nice," Bom commented.

"It's not bad," Kikwang replied.

"Yours?" she looked at my noodles.

"Ew, don't try it," I mumbled.

"Oh really? Thanks for the tip. I was considering of buying it just now," Bom smiled.

I nodded my head awkwardly.

 

Gosh, how can I survive with her bubbly personality around me?